WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

RH23 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default why did WWE switch to PG?

i don't understand why they did. Why are they aiming their product towards kids now?
sendpm.gif
Old 04-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Future Endeavored
WCW TV Champion

Ambiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold out

This is completely my opinion, of course, but they made the move to start investing and growing a brand new audience of kids. So that those kids will grow up with them.

Unfortunately, they did so at the expense and risk of alienating the current audience of adults (like us) that they did have up before they began transitioning over to the switch (which has been several years in the making, and I was not the least bit surprised when they actually made the switch). They just made a risky move by going out on a limb at the risk of pissing us of with their PG content, and are telling us adults that the kids essentially come first, for them.

Sadly, I have argued until I was red and blue in the face with posters on different forums, and I have to say that the posters on this forum generally seem more reasonable, but there is not a single reason why WWE couldn't have had both. Have both an edgy program on Monday nights, and a family program on Friday nights. This time, however, they would enforce the roster split, and treat the shows separately so that you didn't have Superstar A cursing on Mondays, while being toned down for Fridays.

With a good PR and marketing team, I see absolutely no reason why they couldn't have worked that out. If you think about it, that was exactly what wrestling was during its most popular time in history. WWE being the edgy programming targeting adults and older teens. WCW being the family program, with a wide-based audience. And ECW being the niche group targeting older teens and adults who liked a more specialized product.

And to anyone saying that wouldn't work, because the Brands would be competing with each other ... I don't accept that. ECW had their rosters raided by both WCW and WWE. That wouldn't be happening in this case, since it would all be under the World Wrestling Entertainment Umbrella. It would therefore, be controlled, with traffic actually being directed. Of course WWE stole Jericho, Benoit, Saturn, Guerrero, and Malenko ... and morale went downhill from there, with a plethora of other internal problems. That wouldn't happen with this scenario, either since again ... it would all be under one umbrella.

Raw would target that 18-34 year olds.

Smackdown would be a more general audience, like today ... offer something for everyone.

With ECW being a Cruiserweight show, targeting a more nice audience.

That way, everyone would have been happy. I can not tell you how many people I have argued with who oppose the suggestion, simply because they like today's programming, did not like the edginess of Raw during the Attitude Era (yet they loved Austin, so go figure) ... and they have this need to have all 3 shows to themselves.

But yeah, they went PG to grow a new audience AND because there is no competition for them. Therefore, their mentality is "why go out on a limb if we don't have to"?

Unfortunately for them, people don't like being told by WWE that adults are supposed to like the exact same thing a kid likes. And it must be a problem within WWE, because otherwise Ross wouldn't be commenting on it regularly. I am sure this is Vince McMahon talking through Ross, because he knows that the fans respect Ross' opinions. Unfortunately for them, that still does not change my mind. Ross (or Vince) says "it's time to move on from the Attitude Era" programming. Says who? I thought when you're in television and customer service, you are supposed to listen to what your customers want ... not tell them "what they are supposed to want"?

But Vince has always been arrogant like this. He actually gleefully announced on Raw one time a few years ago that "I will tell you what you want to see, and you will like it." I couldn't believe the man actually told his audience that, but that was definitely the real Vince McMahon coming through when he stated those words. Unbelievably arrogant. Vince is simply frustrated that he can't have his cake and eat it too, by telling adults and kids that they have to both like the exact same product.

If you are frustrated with the PG programming, the best thing I can possibly tell you to do in the short term is not to order Wrestlemania 25, his biggest PPV of the year. If you want to send a big "Fuck You" back to Vince and his arrogance in telling you "what you will see, and liking it" ... I can think of no better way to hurt the man, but in his wallet.

Last edited by Ambiguous Turd : 04-01-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 PM

TheGreenEagle is a member of the JOB SQUAD

I agree with Lord Sidious

It's easier to market it to the kids if its PG. There has been lesser and lesser Extreme Rules, The way wrestlers talk is even changing. Listen to them. They really don't bash each other like they used to and the words they use are geared towards kids. They even changed the name to Cena's finisher.

I disagree with going PG fully.
They need to have at least one show that targets young adults and up audience. My only hope is that TNA moves to Monday Nights so they'll have to up the ante and go back to being edger.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Been pimping since been pimping...

Wavy Crockett is looking to come up from OCW...Wavy Crockett is looking to come up from OCW...

Even With It Going PG Though The Content Is Still Rather Edgy In Parts. I Mean In The Last Few Weeks We've Seen Home Invasions, Men Beating Woman, Sledgehammer Attacks, Ric Flair Being Busted Open Etc. I Wouldnt Call That PG.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Future Endeavored
WCW TV Champion

Ambiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold outAmbiguous Turd sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy Crockett View Post
Even With It Going PG Though The Content Is Still Rather Edgy In Parts. I Mean In The Last Few Weeks We've Seen Home Invasions, Men Beating Woman, Sledgehammer Attacks, Ric Flair Being Busted Open Etc. I Wouldnt Call That PG.
That's the misconception a lot of people have, though. And that isn't a knock or anything, so please don't take it as one. There is just some confusion of what constitutes a PG Rating.

Everything you have seen on WWE TV since the rating change has been PG. Orton DDT'ing Stephanie is PG. Ric Flair being busted open was PG. Home Invasions are PG. Sledgehammer Attacks are PG.

You aren't going to see PG-13 programming on a PG rated television show. The company would be facing fines over this kind of thing.

Here is the definition of what constitutes a PG rated program:
Quote:
Parental Guidance Suggested

This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children. Many parents may want to watch it with their younger children. The theme itself may call for parental guidance and/or the program may contain one or more of the following: some suggestive dialogue (D), infrequent coarse language (L), some sexual situations (S), or moderate violence (V).
http://www.tvguidelines.org/ratings.htm
Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 PM

SAMBOLIEWWE is looking to come up from OCW...

As its been touched on before,

The reason they went PG is because the WWE is going in cycles. The Attitude Era wouldnt have meant shit without the Hulk Hogans, Bret " Hitman " Harts, Warriors, Doinks, and Adam Bombs.

The WWE will go back to an " Attitude " era agian. with a different name , and years from now. When Vince has died and WWE regains its feet with Steph and Shane at the reigns , they will look to shake things up and change. they will take a big hero,,, Cena (if still there ) for example, and do what WCW did with Hogan have him turn on the Kids.

and the Kids they are attracting now,,,,, will be teenagers, and they will be feeling rebellious , and the WWE will have this harsh brash guy step up, and be the " Austin " of that generation.

its smart business, they cant just force this stuff, and they know that. The WWE's best business was in the Attitude days, and they will do it again, they just need to wait for society to be ready again, and when they are, I cant wait to see it.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 PM
United States Champion

The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...

I for one think the move to PG is a good one. I have been watching WWE for 23 years and in my opinion 1999, the height of the attitude era, was one of the worst years in my WWE history. The attitude era was cool at first in 1997 and remained so through 1998, but by 1999 it was already getting old. Everyone seems to look back at the 80's with great fondness, but the same people are complaining that WWE is going back to PG. Making RAW adult oriented and SmackDown PG would not work. What about ppv's? When the kids who watch SmackDown see Triple H, Shawn Micaels, and John Cena on ppv they're going to want to see them on RAW too. Don't tell me not to let the kids watch ppv. You know SmackDown is going to be hyping the ppv for four weeks and the kids are going to want to watch.

I started watching WWE in 1986 at age six. I grew up with WWE and am a fan for life. Had I been six years old in 1999 I would never have been allowed to watch WWE in the first place. It is a smart move to go PG. Vince wants to get kids hooked on WWE so they can grow up with his product and be a fan for life just like me. He already has anyone reading these posts. You may not think WWE is as good as it used to be, but you're not going anywhere. You're already hooked. Are you really not going to watch WrestleMania 25 because you're unhappy with the PG rating? I don't think so. Wrestling was a popular fad in the late 90's. Most people who became fans during that time are long gone unless they were at a young age then. By going PG more parents are going to allow their kids to watch creating more life long fans. Maybe when these kids reach 17 or 18 we will be ready for another three year attitude fad. In the meantime enjoy what we've got now. I actually haven't noticed much difference in the show since going PG anyway. Does the use of so much foul language really make the show better? It was unique with Austin in 1996 because he was the only one doing it. Within a year everyone was swearing so it really didn't mean anything anymore. Do you miss the bra and panties matches? Switch over to playboy. Personally I could do without HLA, Katie Vick, and Mae Young's breasts. Give me a classic feud the Shawn Michales vs. Chris Jericho any day.

My guess is most of the people complaing about the rating don't have kids. If you had kids wouldn't you like to introduce him to WWE and hope he gets as much enjoyment you did growing up? It could be a great bonding experience. I would feel very awkward watching WWE with my eight year old and something like a live sex celebration came on. Let's face it, by the time you're 15 or 16 it just isn't that cool to get into wrestling. Get them early and you've got them for life.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Future Endeavored
WCW TV Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
My guess is most of the people complaing about the rating don't have kids. If you had kids wouldn't you like to introduce him to WWE and hope he gets as much enjoyment you did growing up? It could be a great bonding experience. I would feel very awkward watching WWE with my eight year old and something like a live sex celebration came on. Let's face it, by the time you're 15 or 16 it just isn't that cool to get into wrestling. Get them early and you've got them for life.
For the record, I do not have kids. But should kids be up watching TV from 9 PM to 11 PM on a Monday night, or should they be watching TV from 8 to 10 PM on a Friday night?

What you are advocating is that kids are more important than adults. And as I have seen many posters touch base on ... there is a way to do both. WCW, WWE, and ECW all did so at the same time. There is absolutely no reason why WWE can not do the same.

I view this as a very selfish position on the part of people who did not like Attitude Era programming. I see absolutely no reason why you need 3 television shows all to yourselves. None.

Last edited by Ambiguous Turd : 04-02-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:18 AM

BlitzSage sold out
Default Return to the Great Years of the Early 90s (sarcastic)

Well, it's obvious why they are doing it, because in order to get to that major market of young kids with families, they need to take away the vulgarity of the product.

It is true that this is how WWE rose in the 80s to get to the mainstream, but this system also caused them to decline in the early 90s. Remember that one company that, instead of going the PG route in the 90s, went for the edgy look and storylines and characters, and they almost put the WWE out of business.

And the WWE only came back after it shedded the PG image. When you think of the greatest periods in the WWF/WWE, 98-01 was one of the best ever in storylines, they had legendary wrestlers such as Rock, Austin, and HHH, and most importantly they had more viewers than any other promotion in history.

Yes, the PG rating does great business, but wrestling is a violent sport that does not need limits, and should be marketed to the 18-up demographic that wants edgy programing.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-02-2009, 01:21 AM
United States Champion

The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...

Just for the record, I don't have kids either. I am just seeing this from a business aspect. Kids equal money. They want the t shirts. They want the toys. I don't mean to offend anyone who shops at wweshop.com, but there comes a point when adults stop wearing wrestling t shirts and hanging up posters on the wall. Kids want all the merchandise Santa can bring them. When a kid goes to a show he want little brother and best friend to come with. This means mom or dad has to buy a ticket too. My dad had no interest in watching a WWF show in the 80's, but he bought himself many tickets so the kids could have a good time.

What exactly are you missing from the program since going PG? As I said above I haven't noticed much difference. If you're talking about "the glory days of the attitude era," those have been gone for eight years. The main difference is the divas. No more bra and panties matches, playboy pillow fights, or pudding matches. Were these really that important to the show?

Last year I attended SummerSlam. There was a little girl, maybe five years old, sitting behind me. She was on the edge of her seat all night and had the time of her life. I view it as a selfish move to want to take this away from her for the sake of unnecessary vulgarity. By the way everyone, fans of all ages, seemed to enjoy SummerSlam.
sendpm.gif