WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Spam Friendly Sections > Wrestling Spam Zone
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Reinstate The Fox
WCW TV Champion

Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Spidey
Default Spidey Watches The Indies

An undertaking of minuscule proportions.

I've set a challenge for myself. I'm going to watch at least one episode of whatever indie promotion I can get my hands on that's readily available on Youtube or any other free site. It can't be a big promotion like WWE or NJPW. Not really wanting to cover TNA/GFW/iMpact/etc but if I am asked, I will. There is a criteria on how I'm going to be judging these things, as it's really mostly on first impressions:

The venue. I figure this would be a big selling point for small shows as the bigger ones have gone vanilla with their locations.

The crowd. If the fans are digging two guys doing somersaults around the ring, then maybe I can warm up to it, too. Also factoring in what sort of people are in attendance too, like if it looks like an older audience, then I expect a more mature program. Tricky to explain, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

The wrestling. Obviously. I don't expect the super-athleticism we get from the WWE, but I still expect to enjoy the choreography. Also will factor in mannerisms of wrestlers and what little I know about psychology. Expect me to approach this as a literature fan, where I'd expect certain things from certain characters. On that note...

The characters. How interesting are these guys outside of a flip and a dive? I truly believe a company can make a basic guy look like a great working class hero type if they put the effort in, so this will matter to me a lot when watching the show.

The production. Do I expect TV quality? Nah. But I do expect something that would make the program stick out a little from mainstream programs. If it's a comedy wrestling thing, then I don't expect the same quality I'd get from one that's focus is on hardcore, unless of course I should expect a clown to go through a table.

So how am I going about this?
  • Will do one episode, and that's it. (Unless it has my interest, then I may do another.)
  • Will focus on narrative over ring-skill.
  • Will pay attention to commentary, as it should be their job to bring new viewers up to speed on storylines.

I am also taking suggestions.

Up first: Reality of Wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Not really working as a
WWE Diva's Champion

Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...

This is interesting and I do hope you get on small promotions and leave the Ring of Honor/TNA's out of the line-up. There are a lot of indie promotions I haven't watched and have great reviews, with PROGRESS being one that comes immediately to mind.

Reality of Wrestling is as good as any to start with. I'll leave my suggestions here for the future:

- Championship Wrestling from Hollywood - This is the NWA show, where Magnus aka Nick Aldis is the NWA World Champion and is on a run to defend the title against former World Champions or World Championship contenders, with James Ellsworth being one of his future opponents.

- Dramatic Dream Team - A japanese indie promotion known for being really over the top with everything they do. This is the promotion where Kota Ibushi fought a blow up doll and Kenny Omega a 9-year old girl. There is a guy that literally takes his dick out and rapes you as a finishing maneuver. Seriously... https://gfycat.com/BronzeIdleBorzoi

- PROGRESS WRESTLING - As far as I know, it's just really good as far as in-ring action and storyline driven shows. There's a guide on Reddit if you are interested in: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCirc...ess_wrestling/

I'll post more after your first reviews and comments. Good luck Spidey.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:56 PM
Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
X-Division Champion

Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Rainbow Yaz

When you get a chance, please check out Hoodslam. Just do it.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:51 AM
Bald Billy was Better
WWE Diva's Champion

Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...

Urban. Wrestling. Federation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlCb_2-NT38

I can't remember the order of the shows they did, but I assume UWF does some manner of SEO and this was the top result. It's the best indy ever, because it shows exactly why WWE has been king since before I was born, and will be until the day I die.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Reinstate The Fox
WCW TV Champion

Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...
Default Reality of Wrestling - Via Youtube

Reality of Wrestling

Episode 197 - Youtube Preview (Running Time: 24:30)

Current Champions (via Wikipedia)
Click for Spoiler:
ROW Heavyweight Champion: Gino

ROW Tag Team Champions: The Heavenly Bodies (Desirable Dustin & Gigolo Justin)

ROW Diamonds Champion: Kylie Rae

ROW Television Champion: Abel Andrew Jackson

ROW Texas Champion: Mysterious Q

Current Roster
Click for Spoiler:

Abel Andrew Jackson
Ayden Cristiano
Brock Baker
Bryan Keith
Cameron Cole
Cedric Pain
Connor Hollomon
Clay Roberts
Diego de la Cruz
Dustin
Gino
January
JJ Blake
Jeisan Boudreaux
Jonathan Vega
Justin
Mysterious Q
Ransom
Rex Andrews
Rob Barnes
"Ruthless" Ryan Davidson
Sean Studd
Shawn Hendrix
Startek
Terrale Tempo
Tyree Taylor
Van Harrison
X

Women's Roster

Hyaneyoung
Ivory Robyn
Jada Keys
Kayla Lynn
Kiera Hogan
Kylie Rae
Laynie Luck
Miranda
Reyna

ROW opens with a video montage of wrestlers doing things backstage or in the ring similar to what WCW had before it closed. From what I gather, the theme music is different this episode compared to the others - a smooth R&B-like diddy.

We're greeted by standing commentators Matt Topolski and Brad Gilmore. Brad cuts off Matt's introduction and asked him if he subscribed to the Dynamite newsletter. Big announcement coming from JJ Blake aka "The Dynamite Adonis" later tonight. More breaking news - this week the Texas Heavyweight Championship will be on the line as "The Franchise" Mysterious Q defends against former ROW Heavyweight Champion Ayden Cristiano (this is not in the Youtube Preview).

"The Thoroughbred" Studd vs. Terrale Tempo

Worth noting that Studd is WWE HoFer Big John Studd's son. This match felt all kinds of slow, with a few okay spots like Tempo flipping himself from the corner turnbuckle to the ring apron and Studd's chokeslam finisher looked good. Crowd wasn't very into it, though a few kids were cheering on Tempo here and there. Studd had no heat for what was really a David vs. Goliath match. Every single move looked SUPER SAFE, including one moment where Studd's head "hit" the steel stairs (bad camerawork there). For me it was a serviceable fight, but a bad choice for an opener. When I think opener, I think "hey, the crowd is already hyped for the show to begin, let's keep that momentum". Didn't happen here. I would have put this match second to last on the card.

After the match, cameras focus on kids booing the holy hell out of Studd. Great idea to put the children in the front row. If anybody is going to give a reaction, it's them.

Rob Barnes Interview

Interviewer Ashley Bull (who has outstanding mermaid-colored hair) stands by with Rob Barnes. He talks about a potential match with Cameron Cole but Cameron is here with a mute guy named Startek who looks way more hipster than Corey Graves. Apparently they all belong to the same stable, and Cameron is offended Rob started an interview without them. Rob pretends he didn't ask for the interview (and wanting to fight Cameron), but that Ashley asked Rob personally for an interview, and even calls Ashley Cameron at one point "Now is not the time, Cameron! My name is Ashley..." I couldn't help but chuckle at that. They leave without Rob. Fairly funny and not meant to be a serious ordeal.

GM Sharmell Is Shown Something On Her Laptop

Scene cuts to Hyaneyoung (had to put a face to a name since nobody said her name) showing Sharmell on a laptop how her foot was underneath the rope... and how is this not a standard in mainstream wrestling by now???? Like really, everything in the business is under a microscope so it'd make perfect sense for someone cheated out of a win to show evidence to authority. Anyways, I marked out at seeing Booker T's titles hanging on racks above the two women. Sharmell said she'll think about giving her a rematch though she obviously took exception at her saying how she demanded it.

Gino Training For His Match Against MVP

ROW Heavyweight Champion Gino is running the ropes in a training ring. Flag of Texas is essentially a backdrop, in case you forgot this is shot in Texas (Side note: You have no idea how much this state is in love with itself). Commentary tells viewers he is getting ready for his match against MVP next week. Far out. Weird cut to Gino sitting in the ring and getting asked about how he's preparing for the match. It's just another match for him. Hard to get a bead on this guy. He didn't show any intensity, nor did he really come off as humble with facing someone obviously a big threat to his title. I got more character from Studd just standing around than I did with the Heavyweight Champion. Not good.

JJ Blake's Mysterious In-Ring Segment

Nice dig at the ring announcer from commentary as they introduce viewers to "The Dynamite Adonis" better than how he did. Made Blake feel important. Business Suit Lawyer Alex with one hell of a stooge Yes Man persona as he continuously calls him Mr. Blake and told him how everything was already in order. There's a table with papers and a briefcase in front of them. The Dynamite Adonis works the crowd by calling them pathetic idiots with miserable lives. It's hammy but based on who's all in the crowd this was alright for me.

He says that it'd be fitting to make his own...(???) the briefcase on the table gets its own music when Blake opens it up...and it's a brand new Television Championship Belt complete with a bold red "FITE" in the center, because ROW is on the FITE App. Commentary reminds viewers that JJ Blake didn't win the TV Championship, but apparently he bought his own belt (Dynamite FITE Wrestling Championship Of All Television, he dubs it). I thought this was hilarious and a perfect thing for a heel to do. Tells the crowd he'll defend this belt at anytime, anywhere, including now! Commentary is losing their shit, saying how it's an unsanctioned title and isn't for real. Fun segment.

JJ Blake vs. A Jobber The Ring Announcer Introduced Through A Mouthful Of Cheeseburger, I Assume

LE$, some musician, is in the audience. Announce booth calls the white guy Will Lockhart, "The Third Sibling", but I have no clue to what group he's referring to, since it doesn't match up with anybody on the Wikipedia roster. It goes without saying this fight is 100x more athletic in the first minute of the bout compared to Studd vs. Tempo. Some great lines from the commentators: "That isn't a title, it's a belt. That's not a title, is't a strap." "It's a Championship Match, Topolski". The Blake End (lol) puts Will away for The Dynamite Adonis to retain his championship. Minor altercation between LE$ and JJ Blake seemed promising but was immediately stopped. Commentary gets another shot in as the show ends by calling Blake's belt "The Shiniest Participation Trophy You'll Ever See". Golden angle.

In hindsight, thank god Studd vs. Tempo didn't close the show/video. I didn't expect there to be just two matches, even with it being a Youtube Preview of 24 minutes. But a quick look at the previous episode 196 only had one match and it started the show so hey I don't know I take what I can get.

First Impressions

Venue: Super Small Arena. Imagine what WWE runs, but so tiny there were only a few rows of chairs in the audience. Not exactly a colorful setting, but it works. I think I spotted a few tables wayyy in the back. If there's some bar or restaurant off-screen, this was probably a better venue in person than on-screen.

Crowd: Composed mainly of children and what I imagine are their parents. They were definitely in the fore-front at least, getting plenty of camera time. Not a wild bunch, shockingly enough.

Wrestling: Let me rip the band-aid off here. It's not good. Not compared to what the average WWE fan is used to. Studd vs. Tempo was so safe I half expected them to be bouncing around on a trampoline while doing their moves. Almost heartbreaking because 1. It's an HOFer's son and 2. the Big Boot starting the fight was not bad. Boy was it slow though and I started to think they were both gassed long before the finish, even Tempo. Agility wasn't strong in either match really but I wasn't overtly disappointed with Blake vs. Lockhart. Again I find myself using the word serviceable, because the kind of people I see in the crowd makes it clear we weren't getting a barn burner. Eh, two matches in 20 minutes, though.

Characters: A mixed bag. On one hand, JJ Blake was a lot of fun, Studd was hit/miss but still very Kevin Nash-like in what he did and Rob Barnes/Startek/Cameron Cole were an interesting bunch. But I could have slept through the Heavyweight Champion's promo, and it's against possibly the biggest draw he'll ever face. Super letdown by that and Tempo who came to the ring fine enough but didn't give enough reason for me to cheer him on other than he was the smaller guy. I can see a pattern here in how family-friendly every character shown is, so overall it gets a wavy thumbs up from me.

Production: Impressive for something that is clearly for some fighting/martial arts App for our phones. Best way to describe it is Raw/Smackdown 2000s in HD. No fireworks, unfortunately, but I thought the camerawork was top notch (minus Studd hitting the steel stairs). Lighting was solid. Backstage bits were minimal but definitely didn't take away from segments. Best part of the episode for me.

It's clear this show is geared more towards children, but not in a way that's insulting to them like tossing in clowns, superheroes, etc. might. I think that's an incredibly difficult group to reach, really. Kids will obviously imitate the cool moves, so I think it was smart for ROW to not focus on the big things and to play it mostly safe in the ring. Characters are still hammy as you'd expect for this demographic, including the announce team. But is it watchable? Sure. If you're looking for a break from a smash-style approach to wrestling, and wanna see a company ran by Booker T and his wife, here you go.

May do another one of these where I see the full show.

Up next: Championship Wrestling From Hollywood

Quote:
Old 02-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Reinstate The Fox
WCW TV Champion

In case anybody wondered, there was a flippy count of around 2 or 3 for ROW.

I'll be sure to keep a flippy counter for later reviews.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2018, 05:10 PM
Shoot me in the Face!!!
WWE European Champion

Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Face McShooty

Don't forget WCWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneBigWill View Post
I wish nature called when you were conceived.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Not really working as a
WWE Diva's Champion

Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...

You made it sound like a really low-budget WWE style promotion. I didn't know Studd's son was in the business, that was neat and being in Booker's promotion is the right way to sign with WWE in the future. I always dig that "son of famous wrestler" gimmick, yet they don't use the cliché rivalries one would expect. Call me simple minded, but I dig that.

All in all, I see ROW isn't really something worth my time. It seems like a great school for wrestlers to learn, specially playing to a camera and being safe in the ring, which to me is actually something I dig in a match - simplicity. I don't need the thousand flips, just a good set of punches and a good selling to keep me entertained.

I am more intrigued to see your opinions on PROGRESS really! Keep up.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Reinstate The Fox
WCW TV Champion

Default Championship Wrestling From Hollywood - FITE website

United Wrestling Network Presents:

Championship Wrestling From Hollywood

Episode 350 - Fite TV (Running Time: 49:28)

Current Champions (via Wikipedia)
Click for Spoiler:

CWFH Heritage Heavyweight Champion: Bad Dude Tito

UWN Television Champion: Scorpio Sky

UWN Tag Team Champions: Pac 3 (Dan Joseph & Dylan Bostic)

NWA World Heavyweight Champion: Nick Aldis

Other Accomplishments

Red Carpet Rumble Winner: Tyler Bateman

Percy Pringle III Memorial Cup: Dicky Maier

Current Roster:
Click for Spoiler:

Bad Dude Tito
Bateman
Big Duke
Coach Flex McCallion
Dan Joseph
Danny Rivera
Dicky Maier
DJ Hyde
Dylan Bostic
Dylan Drake
Eli Drake
Eric Watts
Espiritu
Hobo
James Morgan
Jarek 120
Jervis Cottonbelly
Joey Ryan
Jorel Nelson
Kratos
"Pistolero" Julio Pedroza
Julius Coleman
Kevin Martenson
Leo Blaze
Nick Aldis
Mike Camden
Peter Avalon
Raul
Rojelio
Rocky Romero
Ryan Taylor
Sasha Darevko
Tim Storm
Timothy Thatcher
Todd Chandler
Ty Matthews
Will Rood
Will Cuevas
YUMA

80s-esque United Wrestling Network moving graphic starts presents the show. We move in to a cold open interview with Denise Salcedo (unlisted on their Non-Wrestler page) talking to two semi-finalists for the Percy Pringle III Cup Tournament: Royce Isaacs (unlisted from roster) and Andy Brown (another unlisted, I see a pattern here...). They're to compete this episode and she wanted to know what it would take for them to reach the finals. Brown calls himself "The Dying Breed" and Isaacs takes a moment to poke fun at Denise's outfit for being hipster. Nice lampshading there, as he's wearing the same thing she is, but more ridiculous as it's big and white. Says he is the most talented person he knows, so he doesn't know where that leaves Andy Brown. Ends the segment by telling Brown "Don't forget your shine box". Goodfellas reference? Derogatory remark because Andy is black and shining shoes was a common job for impoverished minorities? I don't know, but I'm curious to see where this goes.

CWFH intro is similar to ROW's but with a lot more movement. The music is what you're likely to find in royalty free rock. It all has a Saturday Morning vibe to it. Hard to explain, you'd have to see it to understand.

Ni w/Ichi vs. Ray Rosas

Ring announcer botches by saying it's Ichi that is wrestling. This was a squash match that had a failed Twin Magic moment with Ichi coming in but Ray Rosas hits an Adios Amigos aka CM Punk's Go To Sleep on both men and pins them in unison (wasn't really a pin but whatever their legs were in the air). The major story here is that Ray Rosas was betrayed by his friend Peter Avalon (Holy shit a name that's on the roster) and is working himself up the ranks to confront him. Ni and Ichi were practically a tag team of Eugenes and were uncomfortable to watch.

United TV Champion Scorpio Sky w/Chris Bey vs. "Rocket Boy" Dmarco Wilson

Alright I'm going to get this out of the way now, because obviously it's going to bug the shit out of me as the hour goes by: The state of this company's wiki roster is atrocious. Even a champion is unlisted. I figure this promotion is more Frankenstein than an actual clean-cut program, so I'm going to let it go now. I include a roster for something remotely resembling familiarity, but don't expect any of the names that are there to be on this episode. Part of me is thinking to remove the list altogether, but I took the time typing all that out...

Dmarco Wilson is already in the ring. Scorpio hands his title over to Chris (who's wearing a Bey is Bae shirt that parodies the old Raw is War logo) and welcomed everybody to another edition of "The Sky Box". Gets its own title graphic for a second. He gestures to his friend, saying he's here with his new guest host, Chris Bey and the Onion Pizza Band. Course, his friend is just ??? and so is the rest of the crowd. He turns his attention on his host- woops guest, Dmarco, and asks him what it is he's carried to Scorpio's ring. A skateboard without wheels, axle, etc. Calls him Jabroni Hawk, in case The Rock impression wasn't catching on enough. Says if Dmarco thinks he can beat Sky, than Dmarco is higher than the referee's pants. Alright, you got lucky with that joke, Sky. Gives a Final Thought: Skate away if you see Sky's name in the marquee again. Cheap shot leads to the match. Two things:

1. Dmarco Wilson is a quick one.

2. He woke the crowd up after a pretty bad segment.

Still, can't have the newbie beat a champion. Did a good job on getting heat on Sky though, so I didn't mind this fight ending with the more interesting guy losing. "The Best!" "The Best!" "The Best!" "The Best!" is also a great catchphrase for a 4x champion, which Sky is.

I looked Chris Bey up by the way, and this picture was the first in Google Images. Don't say I never did nothing for y'all:
Click for Spoiler:

Bateman Interview

Denise Salcedo is back with a new guest, Bateman, and Jesus Christ take back what I said about ROW's StarTek looking like the definition of a hipster. Handlebar mustache...cane...eyeliner...that weird shaved haircut...top knot...one colored eye contact...a fucking braid...total carny. Maybe I should keep a hipster counter while I'm at this. Anyways Bateman is asked about Dicky Maier, who pinned him at Milestone, and is fighting him tonight. His lines are pretty good: "The thing about the Devil, is that you can capture him once in a while, but you can't hold him." "You're a boy in a Man's world, and tonight I'll show you I am the main Man around here..." but it's not very intimidating, probably because I feel his lines don't quite match his voice or his look.

Kevin Condron & Richie Slade vs. Spirit And The Stars

So Kevin came out in a headscarf and sunglasses and vaped the entire way. Laughed my ass off. SATS are masked luchadors. Story is Kevin & Richie are an unlikely alliance from the PP3 Tournament and SATS were jumped by Howdy Price (not sure on name) and The Rancheros and had their masks removed, but they got them back before the episode aired. Nice Gorilla Monsoon discussion about how he'd take to Kevin wearing scarves in his matches. Guy named Thomas, Kevin's "social media manager", got up on the apron to record the match via phone and this gimmick is perhaps too good for what is essentially a random tag match. The red masked Spirit and The Stars (fuck names) botched to high hell but his black masked partner wasn't bad. A double dive to Kevin & Richie leads to Kevin throwing Thomas in the way to absorb the attack. Afterwards Kevin is crying alligator tears and it's clear this guy will be going places in the future. With Kevin distracted on the outside SATS double team Richie with a cutter followed by a standing shooting star press leading to the pinfall victory. The match took a backseat for me as I was completely enthralled with Kevin Condron's starletesque gimmick.

"American Thunder" Dicky Maier vs. Bateman

To give the vaudevillian from Hell his due, Bateman's entrance sold him as a sinister threat without being over the top. Something that took me too long to notice, though: the crowd the cameras are focused in on the most are wayyy too reserved. They don't look bored, and they're not on their phones, but they do seem just to be chilling and eating popcorn like they're at the movies. The bulk of noise and chants stem from behind the main camera, and it's only a few guys doing it. Why anybody would pay for seats they'd know would get the most exposure on-screen and just sit quietly is a little confusing. Even the ROW kids knew to go nuts. Anyways, Bateman hits the Death From Above, some standing forearm/elbow drop to the chest, gets Bateman the win. I hated this finisher. It looked all kinds of lazy. The Discus Elbow Smash he did prior was WAY more devastating a maneuver than him just dropping an arm down for the pin. Besides that, I am warming up a little to the character, but his appearance still leaves me thinking he's trying too hard. After the match he sits for a moment on the bottom rope (never seen someone do that), and leaves looking pissed. Maybe he realized his calling card looked like shit.

Kevin Condron Wants To Talk

We get backstage interviewer Denise Salcedo once again, but before she can tell us how 2018 is a big year for UWN, Kevin Condron pops in, blows a ton of vapor smoke into her face, and snatches the mic from her. Please let this show just be Kevin from now on. He's angry, stating he's been there for over a year and deserves a shot for the Heritage Championship. "NIKKO, COME HERE!!!...plz?" Nikko is there, and is told that a very ugly man, Bad Dude Tito, is on the posters here and that needs to change. Kevin is here to take the belt off of him. Kevin is about to beg Nico for the chance to face Tito for the belt...and Nikko says "why not?" while eating some Cheetos or some cheesy looking snack, cutting Kevin off. Kev doesn't say another word, but hands him the mic, pats his shoulder, and happily walks off. Okay, this guy is Tyler Breeze if Tyler Breeze was too good to hold his own selfie stick, and he's sooo goddamn likable even when he's the heel. He's just fun and by far the highlight of this show.

Nikko Marquez Interview

You know, Denise Salcedo gets a SHITLOAD of screen time for somebody not on their wiki roster. She's standing by with CWFH's minority owner Nikko Marquez (same guy Kevin Condron just got done talking to) and asked him who would be facing Bad Dude Tito next week. For a minute I thought this would be a title match, and was legit confused because they just announced Condron a few seconds ago. But I rewatched the segment and it holds up. Next week Bad Dude Tito isn't going to just fight, but wrestle. And it'll be against an olympic wrestler named Jeff Cobb. Holy shit, they're getting Matanza next episode.

PP3 Semi-Finals Match: "Uptown" Andy Brown vs. Royce Isaacs

The trophy is seen, and it's The Undertaker's Urn. Kinda curious how they haven't been sued for the obvious reference, but eh. Some backstory on the PP3: The winner can challenge for any title the company has. A few notable names from the tourney's past included Eli Drake and Ricky Mandel. Isaac's knee pads pissed me off the entire match because they were right below his knees. Also, first time they've went to a break during a match, and I had completely forgotten how much I hated WWE doing that. Least they only did it the once here. When he was in the driver's seat, Royce Isaacs audibly shouts "Oh, you're quiet now..." at the crowd, doing a good job getting heat. Valiant effort from Andy, but this was really Royce's win since the beginning. An X-Wing German Suplex, a Full Nelson Hold lifted into a German, gets him the 3. Royce advances to the Finals and I'll never know what he meant when he told Andy to get his shine box.

First Impressions

Venue: Another cost-effective small arena, which is fine. Garbage bags lined the barrier, and I think they had Christmas lights on a few columns and walls. Wrestlers entered through an archway and left through red curtains. All in all, another basic venue with a few more noticeable cuts than what Reality of Wrestling made. Not impressive in any way, but not something that made me hate it.

Crowd: Composed mostly of an older audience. They weren't that excited, and so neither was I. At one point a ticker graphic hyped the next show and in bold letters "Free Admission" covered the screen. Really said it all.

Wrestling: An average affair not worth writing home about. Technically it was better than ROW, but then again I understood why ROW wasn't going nuts with their moves. There was no reason these guys couldn't let loose a little. The only fight that held my interest was Scorpio Sky and Dmarco Wilson, and even then I don't think it's good to have some newbie character steal your champion's thunder.

Characters: Kevin Condron was excellent. Bateman was just a weird combination of dark carny steampunk but I understood what he was doing and in the end warmed up to it. Dmarco Wilson also had me interested with his throwback grunge skateboarder thing and I hope he uses the board for RVD levels of fun in the future. Scorpio's Rock impersonation was horrid, but he does have The Look of a champion. So does Royce Isaacs to be fair, so for me this was probably the strongest thing about the program.

Production: Frankensteinesque. On one hand, the intro looked good, the lighting did a fantastic job covering up how small the place really was, and it even had some decent smoke for Bateman's entrance. But backstage segments were all in one spot, and I hated that. ROW at least knew when to change it up. Theme songs weren't too generic but neither were they memorable, so they were better than ROW in that regard. I can't help but think the garbage bags that lined the barrier are a bit too lowgrade for what this is trying to present itself as.

Flippy Counter: 9

I'd say this type of show that appeals to the casual fan who might bring their kids along and not worry about anything risque. Judging by the (eh) roster and overall production, you're not likely to see women fight or faces getting bloody. Know how I said at the beginning the intro felt like a Saturday Morning show? This whole episode felt that way. Some decent characters, but nothing that really sets itself as an alternative to WWE.

Up Next: Hoodslam

Quote:
Old 02-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Reinstate The Fox
WCW TV Champion

I didn't really get the NWA stuff like I thought I would, Prince. I have been keeping up with it on Youtube though so I'll definitely review it piece by piece.

Quote: