WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

It was always going to be lukewarm... he'd just beaten Hogan and many fans wouldn't have even realised if they didn't see the match. Half the audience would be "WTF?"

I always felt that angle should have happened at Mania... forget the tourney, have Hogan drop to Andre and close Mania with the shock of DiBiase buying the title.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Knockout Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

Unfortunately being from the UK I didn't get to see the surprise and instead just read about afterwards in wrestling magazines, Did eventually get to see it a couple of years later obviously the confusion and surprise were lost on me by this time, I thought it was a great angle and fitted in perfectly with Ted Dibiase's persona as it was the one goal he had not achieved was winning the world title so buying it made sense as he had supposedly bought everything else and he claimed everyone has a price and the twin referees just added to the whole thing its one of these angles where it always stays in your mind as one of the best unexpected endings.
If I were to choose one wrestler past or present who should have been world champion it would be Ted Debiase with his wealth and the addition of Andre and Virgil at his side he would have come accross as a very powerful world champion within that era and would have made for some good storylines with the fan favourites chasing the title as we never really got a proper heel champion for longer than a couple of months during the 80's and early 90's, Sheik and Slaughter felt like transitional champions and Savage only turned heel towards the end of his reign even Flair only held it for a couple of months after he won the royal rumble.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:03 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGlasgow View Post
Unfortunately being from the UK I didn't get to see the surprise and instead just read about afterwards in wrestling magazines, Did eventually get to see it a couple of years later obviously the confusion and surprise were lost on me by this time, I thought it was a great angle and fitted in perfectly with Ted Dibiase's persona as it was the one goal he had not achieved was winning the world title so buying it made sense as he had supposedly bought everything else and he claimed everyone has a price and the twin referees just added to the whole thing its one of these angles where it always stays in your mind as one of the best unexpected endings.
If I were to choose one wrestler past or present who should have been world champion it would be Ted Debiase with his wealth and the addition of Andre and Virgil at his side he would have come accross as a very powerful world champion within that era and would have made for some good storylines with the fan favourites chasing the title as we never really got a proper heel champion for longer than a couple of months during the 80's and early 90's, Sheik and Slaughter felt like transitional champions and Savage only turned heel towards the end of his reign even Flair only held it for a couple of months after he won the royal rumble.
I agree that with Andre and Virgil in his corner and with a seemingly endless supply of cash, he could have been a long-time heel champ, much like Honky was with the IC belt. No one ever mistook Honky for the best wrestler in WWF, but his underhanded ways of retaining the belt made him a wonderful heel champ that was able to last for over a year. I think if you add DiBiase & company and his resources to that equation, it could have been a multi-year success. Not necessarily a straight run of DiBiase being champ, but maybe a year or so to start and then Hogan, for example, beats him...but then DiBiase uses his money and power to regain. That could have continued for several years and stayed hot atop the card.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:29 PM
WWE Women's Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
This was the first time I remember saying "Why is he not champion?"

It made little sense to not let him keep the title and still doesn't to me... if he can buy it, he can buy it... the gimmick says that. If he buys it, keeps it and LOSES it right away to Savage at Mania 4, then its a much bigger stage to get Savage off the ground and the feud is red hot thereafter.

I think Hogan/Andre simply didn't want to step away into their own feud/go down the card more than DiBiase not being the right guy. Hogan wasn't going to be there, but he couldn't bear two smaller guys being above him while he was gone.... so Andre had to be involved and thus him.

Even the tournament to be was ruined by having Hogan and Andre in it, but we won't rehash that bile...

That angle could have been the biggest in history, today it's an interesting moment rather than a major one... all because they wouldn't let DiBiase hold the belt and defend it once...
It made perfect sense.

You were not allowed to purchase a championship. End discussion. Nothing more to understand.

Andre pinned Hogan in the ring to defeat him in a championship match, so regardless of how he did it, he still defeated him for the championship.

But he was not allowed to 'sell' the championship to another party, so Dibiase was never the champion. However, when he did attempt to sell it, he was forfeiting the title, so he was no longer champion either.

Just because Dibiase's gimmick was that he could buy anything, doesn't mean that he could actually buy anything.

Mr. Perfect's gimmick was he could never lose because he was perfect. He would still lose anyways.

I don't think that you can argue the execution of that angle. It's one of the biggest, most successful angles in history. If it was just an 'interesting moment', I doubt very much it would still be remembered as well as it is 30 years later.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:51 PM
WWE Women's Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeenanGorilla View Post
I agree that with Andre and Virgil in his corner and with a seemingly endless supply of cash, he could have been a long-time heel champ, much like Honky was with the IC belt. No one ever mistook Honky for the best wrestler in WWF, but his underhanded ways of retaining the belt made him a wonderful heel champ that was able to last for over a year. I think if you add DiBiase & company and his resources to that equation, it could have been a multi-year success. Not necessarily a straight run of DiBiase being champ, but maybe a year or so to start and then Hogan, for example, beats him...but then DiBiase uses his money and power to regain. That could have continued for several years and stayed hot atop the card.
It easily could have. Use all of his resources. The team of Virgil and Andre protecting him. And add in the fact that once you got past all of that, Dibiase himself was still an amazing wrestler and incredibly tough to defeat. It would have been money, and if that exact act came along even just a few years later, probably would have happened.

But the WWF model was a strong, dominant, babyface champion. And it's hard to argue with them on it, considering how much success they had with that exact model for the entire 25 years of their existence up until that point.

That model wasn't changing after such a successful 4 year run with babyface Hogan leading the way. Especially when it was only ending because he was leaving to help launch McMahon's foray into movies (No Holds Barred - which Vince did think would be the start of something new and bigger than wrestling for him). Babyface Savage had been built as a great placeholder for a year, but the timing wasn't right to break the mold with the more southern style NWA program that Dibiase as champion would have meant.