WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-30-2018, 10:28 AM
WCW TV Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default Is the Women's revolution just a big PR move for the WWE?

Coming out of the Royal Rumble, a lot of discussion was made about how Stephanie Mcmahon was over exposed and made it all about her in the end and with them pushing for the first ever women'S elimination chamber match next month, it got me thinking, is this just a big PR Move for WWE or do they truly cared about the female performers.

So i went back a look at how they book the female since this whole Women's revolution started and Realize that it's probably is. If you look how the whole thing started, it was because of the fans backlash over a 15 seconds women's match on raw. So they went and started giving the women's more time on tv for a while and it got fans excited even if they way they did made no sense.

Then they went a had the first women's hell in the cell match with the build up not being on the performers themselves but on the fact that it was the first ever Hell in the cell for the woman's. In fact, you could have put anybody in that match and it wouldn't have made any difference because it wasn'T about the performers but about the historic moment. So it was a great match and they got lucky with it but that wasn't the important thing for them. The fact is they never did another one since.

Then they had the first ever women's ironman match, this one was a little bit more about building up Charlotte and Sasha was just a stepping stone to get Charlotte over as a megastar and the face of the division at the time. Again good match but did it really help anybody in the end.

Then you got a long period we're nothing really happened and they went back to the same old same old with the women's. You got the really short matches on TV, storylines that nobody could get behind and they killed so many performers along the way that it's a miracle that any of them are over right now.

So after that long stretch of time, They did the first ever Women's MITB match, which again never was about the performers involved in it but more about how historic the match was and again in the end, the result didn'T matter because they screwed up the ending of the first match and did a redo on the smackdown following the event and now it's pretty much the same as the guy we're the holder of the briefcase is a afterthought and look like a total jobber. So did it help the performers or did it help the company look better to shareholders? Will they go back to this next year? i truly doubt it with this being a dual brand PPV next year, the only way i could see them going back to it is if both MITB matches are dual brand next year.

Then after this moment, they want back to status quo for a while until they had a reason to bring it back with the rumble and elimination chamber match and Stephanie being the face of both matches even through she wasn't a performer in the rumble and won't be in the chamber.

The build up for the rumble was horrible espcially since pretty much everybody except for Asuka had any build up to their characters going into the rumble. The build up was all about how historic this match was and never about the peoples in it. So watching it while it was a really good match, felt like just a midcard match and not as a important moment. The thing that made the whole thing even worst was the fact that they use the women'S rumble as a way to set up Stephanie and ronda rousey's program for mania maing the whole thing feel like an afterthought and did nothing for Asuka or any of the other performers in the match since after the show, all we are talking about is stephanie and ronda and not who won the first rumble match. To make matter worst, the opening segment on raw before Sasha banks came to Raw didn't help Asuka at all because they use her more as a way to announce the next first. So in the end, who cares really which championship Asuka will go for, they already made it cleared they don't really care about the character so why should we as fans.

In the end, while i truly enjoy what the women's are doing, i hate that they are put in a position that they shouldn't be put in just so the company can pat themselves on the back by saying that they treat the women performers the same way as the guy only when it help them. Thoses first shouldn't be forced and certanlly not use as a PR moves to make WWE look good. Was there a good reason to do a Women'S Rumble this year? Not really outside of making Stephanie look good and make the company look good by announcing the signing of Ronda Rousey. Is there a good reason to have the first ever Women's elimination chamber match? not really. This is just a PR move to make themselves look good because of what'S going on in the world right now. Will it be a good match? i would be surprise if it wasn't a good match but will it matter in the end? i doubt it.

Anyway that's my rant on this, i look forward to reading the replies to this subject.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:36 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Yes. Stephanie has a checklist of things she wants done and now that the Rumble is crossed off, we have Elimination Chamber. Eventually we'll have a Mania main event--which I would be fine with, if the angle merited such a spot on the card--but will more than likely be "just because". I find Stephanie's on-screen presence during each of these "revolutionary" moments to be transparent. She clearly has a long-term agenda, that may even reach outside of WWE. None of this is coming off organically; it is being shoved down our throats. These women are talented enough to break barriers on their own, but this has clearly become a project for Steph--maybe accelerated by this Time's Up movement? Not sure, but it all seems forced and, consequently, uninteresting.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:08 PM
I know my name/avi/sig don't match.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...

The Women's Revolution has fallen victim to the same plague that's been a part of WWE for the better part of this decade.

Death by branding. WWE took a twitter hashtag and rammed it down our throats. They never know when to say stop or enough is enough.

WWE: Women are competing in a Hell in a Cell match for the first time!
Fans: Alright nice!
WWE: No... you don't get it. Women are competing in a Hell in a Cell match!
Fans: Yeah, we heard you! Good on you WWE!
WWE: NO LISTEN... WOMEN are competing in a HELL IN A CELL MATCH!

Obviously that's hyperbole but that's what it feels like. That there's an underlying sense that women are inferior and that it's SUCH A BIG DEAL that they're able to compete in Hell in a Cell matches, Royal Rumbles, etc. It's really kind of insulting and counterproductive. The only time the Women's Revolution felt real is during the Charlotte/Sasha feud where they were legitimately stealing the show and making history almost at every turn. But not long after that, feuds just stopped happening. We're almost at the same point we were back in 2006. The women no longer feel integral to the show, we're getting random 6 women tags that only go on for a few minutes, but I guess that's okay because it falls under the branding umbrella of the Women's Revolution.

It's a stark contrast to NXT where the women are just allowed to be competitors. Nobody makes a big deal out of the fact that they're women. They're given feuds that are actually based around deep and personal things. Women get to tell actual stories with one another, which compared to the main roster is an absolutely wild concept.

I don't know if it's a PR move, I don't know if Stephanie has a motive behind any of it, like I said at the start... as long as WWE can brand what the women are doing as revolutionary, then they don't have to actually do anything revolutionary with the women.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:33 PM

miamicanes460 is looking to come up from OCW...

Of course it was a complete publicity stunt. Women are not as good of wrestlers as the men are. Or at least, aren't as entertaining. That doesn't mean there aren't some awesome women's wrestlers, but they just aren't nearly as entertaining in the ring. I don't consider myself a misogynist by any stretch, but 90% of the time there's a women's match on, I turn the channel. I'm open to having my favorite wrestler be a female, but nobody grabs my attention like that. They're too sloppy in the ring. I love Charlotte, Asuka, and Sasha, but outside of that, everyone else is still incredibly sloppy.

I hate the whole concept of pushing this as an agenda. Just let them do their thing. Focus on their character, not on their gender. It's so phony and ridiculous. They're treating us like idiots and acting like they need to tell us how progressive and historic it is to have these matches. Just freaking do them and shut up about it!

So yeah, ultimately this is all about publicity. However, it's been a good thing overall despite the phony intentions. This is by far the best wrestling we've ever seen from women in the WWE. BY FAR. I enjoy a lot of the feuds especially compared to years past, but I don't need them infiltrating main events to be quite honest. Not until they are putting on AJ Styles type performances.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:52 PM
SHALL WE BEGIN?
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...

Meh, I think it adds strength and depth to the roster while also having the built-in benefit of being a PR stunt. If their division was still built on Kelly Kelly and Candice Michelle, this would not and could not be happening. When they realized there was an audience for true female competition, they coupled it with the fact they could boast being empowering to women....and here we are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
Perhaps, then, you really are an idiot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White Sam View Post
If there's one thing missing from Britain's annual Royal Rumble meet-ups, it's us chucking each other about in excitement.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

I do think there is a genuine belief in SOME of the female talents and that long term a division can work, but you have to assume getting Ronda in has been a LONG term goal/ The uncomfortable truth could be that NONE of the women who have excelled were intended to be the flag bearer, but Ronda would take that mantle when the time came.

That fits when you look at people like Bayley and Sasha, perhaps even Paige to an extent. They had the machine behind them until they didn't and then it was totally removed from them for an extended period. Sasha getting a bit of a "resurgence" in the Rumble seemed more about her being fed to Ronda than building her up for her own success.

Likewise, Alexa Bliss suddenly seems in a very awkward position. Clearly Asuka and Charlotte were the "favoured two" and now Ronda is above them. For all the good Alexa has done she can now only ever be 4th on the totem and thats before Candace, Bayzler, Sane and the others who will inevitably return after this Rumble for a run. I'm seeing Molly coming back for example.

It isn't a publicity stunt per se but it is "stunt casting" the women's division. Brock had the benefit of his first run so it made sense to book him as he was... he also did that early job.

Mayweather and Tyson, it was clear that it was a one off but this is different. They are flat out saying "Ronda IS the women's figurehead full time" and that is going to sit badly with those who spent 4-5 years not only building the division but who may have been promised a turn like Nia for Ronda to "jump ahead" of them.

With some talents like Nia, Nikki and Dana speaking out already there are two inferences, either they are genuinely put out or they are doing it to build future issues with Ronda and almost "safeguard" their role. You know Nikki will be fine as long as Cena is around and Nia has Dwayne's "protection" but how long will either stick around once they know Ronda is above them, in essence a rookie? Will Nikki Bella be happy with "same old matches" or is she gonna insist on getting involved with Ronda? Will Nia repeat her "walkout" for good and speak out publicly on her peeves? Even Paige's recent comeback before the injury with Absolution, was that designed so she could be fed to Ronda early? It seems likely to me...

Something was off about Sunday, the show seemed to be adjusted visibly for timing, almost as if they were waiting for Ronda to get there. That the show was still going 10 minutes past the normal close time gave away she was coming... so even the "slight" that Asuka is said to have faced isn't perhaps intentional, the show just seemed botched. Is that Steph's influence/problem? Was it intentional on Vince's part?

Either way, the Women's division is the most talked about right now, so the mission is accomplished. It'd be VERY easy to piss away 5 years of good work however by putting all the eggs in the Rousey basket. Charlotte, Alexa and Asuka ALL need to be kept strong, with Becky, Sasha, Nikki and Nia all nipping at their heels if it's going to work. If Ronda ploughs through everyone then there is no division.

If they go with the proposed mixed tag at Mania, it only staves off the problem for 2 months in effect, once Mania is done and her "full time" schedule begins, she's gonna start running through talent who won't be able to be rebuilt... Vince has proven that with Bayley. This is the closest they have ever been to a better than functional Women's division... they have talent fans want to see but historically WWE ALWAYS blow it...they did with Wendi, Sable, Chyna and AJ...

Last edited by THTRobtaylor : 01-30-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:49 PM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
Intercontinental Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

There is no way WWE didn't notice the money women were making in combat sports and saw money in that. If that also means good PR, that's great and they rightfully should take advantage of that but ultimately this is an investment (not to mention kind the more decent thing to do). I don't know if it is paying off but I have enjoyed women's wrestling now more than ever. They don't care if their lonely fans whine about their decision to celebrate what they are doing.

And ssh, they may be working the marks with some of said celebrating.
GSB Observation #8675309 - I've never seen Samoa Joe and Manny from Modern Family in the same room at the same time, coincidence?

Last edited by George Steele's Barber : 01-30-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:27 PM
YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Is it a PR stunt? Sure. Is it JUST a PR stunt? It would be if the division had been built around women more along the lines of Kelly Kelly and the matches were nothing more than 2 minutes of air time filler. Now that doesn't mean that WWE is doing it just for the aspect of female empowerment or anything like that, if it doesn't make money for the company then it's a waste of time and there's no shame or harm in coming right out and saying that. Of course, some people seem to think there is because WWE is the big, evil corporate entity looking to devour the souls of wrestling fans and all that other tired nonsense. In the real world, which is where WWE has to operate and function along with the rest of us, NOTHING that goes down does so with purely 100% altruistic motives.

Now despite the propaganda Stephanie McMahon spouts, the Women's Revolution didn't have jack to do with the Fabulous Moolah, Mae Young, Kelly Kelly, Torrie Wilson or really even Trish Stratus or Lita. It started in NXT where female wrestlers were featured as prominently as the men, the female wrestlers had lots of talent and fans responded in a very positive way; Triple H and Stephanie then finally convinced Vince that what was going on in NXT could be applied to the main roster and a brilliant marketing campaign came about.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 01-30-2018, 04:59 PM
WWE Women's Champion

Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...

I dont believe any of them really believe nore they are really serious about all that. They have Ronda there now so they are trying to build something but all that build up and sloppiness of matches(Rumble, 3 on 3 multi matches that last 3 minutes like in old times instead of building feuds etc.) is showing they are not really serious. Its more just newest "it thing" to do. More like "look we dont just have men in main event" thing then seriously build something there. If we look at main shows (not counting developmental NXT) we have

Bliss- gold on mic, not that much in ring
Sasha- lots of hype and lots of Championships but still didnt even defended one properly
Asuka- just got there and pushed to the moon for now
Charlotte- started as awkward face but great after turn and now
Nikki Bella- included because she is still somehow pushed to the moon as we saw on Rumble

From 5 of them only Charlotte and Asuka(who is still just at the beginning) can maybe be counted as huge draws and somebody who could be perceived as one. Everybody else is a joke. They spout some personal BS about how they are gona win, sometimes maybe they do win even titles(especially on Smackdowns "land of opportunity") but they are jokes with no character or any progression. Which means that is your entire "Women Revolution" problem right there. They could go to Saudi Arabia or some other country and wrestle, they could even main event Wrestlemania to check that square in that invisible list of Steph but you still need to do something meaningful with them and not just throw them around in Rumble, have "Botchamania 2018" and say "empowerment". You need to actually put time there and build them. But hey, its newest "it thing" so lets do it.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:40 PM

Kamala316 is looking to come up from OCW...Kamala316 is looking to come up from OCW...Kamala316 is looking to come up from OCW...

After the announcement of the "Women's Revolution", what happened? The women went back to being in multi-person tag matches (just like before the "Revolution"). And anytime there is a "groundbreaking" moment, Stephanie has to be among the performers. Why? Because this "Revolution" is all a PR stunt for Stephanie to collect more "Yay, we value women!" awards. She (and WWE) value their female performers so much that instead of showcasing them on the Road to WrestleMania, we will get another Stephanie storyline, etc... (you know how it plays out this time of year, every year) that will take away from those performers who "created" the 'Revolution'. Are there talented women on the roster? Absolutely! I'm just sick of Stephanie always having to insert herself into the picture rather than letting them go out and perform. But it's always about Steph (and her "brand").