WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-15-2017, 02:39 AM
Knockout Champion

RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default How big of a star do you think Roman is?

Few wrestlers today have the same type of appeal as Steve Austin and The Rock did, let alone have the same appeal to the SAME degree as them.

How I came up with the central issue of this thread is..I was thinking how Sheamus(I just discovered that through YouTube a few days ago) was once a Bodyguard for the band U2! And I thought, how big of a success is he now? Obviously being a bodyguard for Paris Hilton or some band, even if its U2 is not some type of a success, as you're just another piece of muscle who gets to surround these celebrities in order to "protect" them in arenas and elsewhere.

And if you look at Sheamus now, there's obviously one benefit in that he probably makes a lot of money as one of WWE's solid performers/workhorses. He's also somewhat famous, far more than when he was a bodyguard anyhow. But, what really struck me was- is Sheamus really that much of a deal? Sure, in fake wrestling, he's a multiple-time world champion, MITB winner, Royal Rumble Winner, tag champion, KOTR, US champion, but at the end of the day, could you really call him a "Star" like you would- Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Brock Lesnar or Kurt Angle?

This got me to a realization that in Wrestling, if you take any name, most wrestlers or superstars evoke only one image in mind, that being, "Oh sheamus, he's a wrestler, he wrestles..just like Cesaro does".

And isn't that exactly how we'd identify Dean Ambrose?

Could we really say Sheamus and have someone's mind go, "OMG, Sheamus!" the same manner as they would, "OMG, The Rock!" even back in 2001?

Think about it...logically, The Rock in 1998 was still another guy with stature and muscle, alongside Kama Mustafa, D'Lo Brown and Mark Henry. He was, in fact, on the same level as HHH or Billy Gunn(except that he was a charisma and popularity timebomb..just ticking, and HHH wasn't).

And in 2001, just say 'The Rock', and no one would think of him as we'd today think of Sheamus or Dean Ambrose, as "just another wrestler". And that only intensified beyond 2001 once the Rock/Dwayne Johnson went on to become one of Hollywood's most iconic and successful actors and action stars.

With that being said,

is it fair to say that when someone says "Roman Reigns", more than 5 out of 10 random people comprising of say..hardcore fans, casual fans, and non-fans or someone who's just barely aware of WWE or wrestling, would have any better reaction to the thought of "Roman Reigns" as being anything more than "Another wrestler" or "some guy who wrestles in the WWE" ?

What sort of a response or reaction would the mention of Sheamus, Dean Ambrose, Cesaro and pretty much everyone on the roster(except may be AJ Styles) evoke in those 10 randomly selected people?

Lastly, a really tricky and interesting question- how would you differentiate between Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns in terms of this same measurement of Popularity/Appeal not just in Wrestling globally, but a little beyond, say, in terms of being a Celebrity/Icon.

Bring it on!

Last edited by RomanfreakinReigns : 12-15-2017 at 02:50 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:25 AM
Gone. For. Good.
ECW TV Champion

ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...

He's not a big star. Hell, not even a star for me. Stars are AJ Styles, John Cena, Brock Lesnar and such.

I feel that I am going to get something special with the above. Not always in case of Brock though. But still. I don't feel the same for Roman Reigns.

I get more of a star vibe from Braun Strowman than Roman Reigns. The only thing that tries to make look Roman Reigns like a star is his superman booking. That's all.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:32 AM
Trending Worldwide.
WWE European Champion

#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...#hamler is getting some looks on Smackdown...

With the exception of John Cena, no one on the roster has the celebrity status outside of the WWE. I'm sure Roman Reigns will get there but very few know who he is unless they know the slightest bit about wrestling. Even AJ Styles fits in that boat. He's not a celebrity outside of wrestling. He's just a wrestler to someone who doesn't watch wrestling. In the attitude era, wrestling was a cool thing to do. Stars were more popular and there was a bit more cross appeal. It's totally different now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN80 View Post
Hamler's got one of the best minds for wrestling on this site.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:29 AM
Sally Section
Mr. Money in the Bank

Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...

I don't think the WWE wants Roman Reigns to be popular in the same mold as a John Cena, a Rock, or a Hulk Hogan.

Imagine if you took a significant amount of your limited time, money, and resources into promoting someone to be the face of your brand. Then, a few years after they're starting to really repay that investment back........ they stop wrestling and start shooting movies. Or they stop wrestling for you and start wrestling for the guy who will pay them more.

The WWE got a great long run out of John Cena, so it's unfair to mention him in that context- but the way that Cena became popular lends insight into the way they want Roman Reigns to be popular. John Cena worked both face and heel at the same time to different demographics; the exact same thing is happening with Roman Reigns, except he's death on a microphone so it's more like a faint echo of something more significant. Rock was a trash-talking heel who endeared himself to the fans; John Cena started as a trash-talking heel who tried to endear himself to the fans. Hulk Hogan made millions of dollars by simply going out there and smiling, and you can see where I'm going with this. Every cycle is a reaction to the previous cycle.

In raw terms, is Roman Reigns as big a star to the non-professional wrestling audience as other names? Of course not and duh. Roman Reigns hasn't even been in WWE proper for five years yet, and it's a little past the mark to assume that the WWE has plans for him as Big Public Facing Star just because he's also a Top Guy.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:30 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

GOOZEKING is looking to come up from OCW...GOOZEKING is looking to come up from OCW...GOOZEKING is looking to come up from OCW...GOOZEKING is looking to come up from OCW...GOOZEKING is looking to come up from OCW...

I see Roman as A top guy but I don't think he can be THE top guy. It's just when you look at Roman and you compare his positives and negatives with other top guys on the roster. I don't think he is any higher than other top guys. To me Roman is on the same level as a Rollins, Bray, a Joe. You know TOP guys just not THE top guy
Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 AM
ROH Pure Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

I feel like if you compare him to what the rest of the raw roster, he's pretty much in a league of his own. He's the star on the roster right now. The closest thing to him as far as popularity on the raw brand is Braun strowman, another Vince's project by the way.

He will probably never be at the same level as cena, rock, Austin, hogan and others but the thing is, when you put him in a main event match, it feel like a big match no matter who's he's facing and it helps guys that aren't on his level in the process and That's what important. Also you have to realize, that what they want right now is somebody young enough and healthy enough to replace cena with their key demographic which are kids and he's over with that demo so if you look at it that way, he's a star already.

In the end, wwe needed to invest in their futur and hoping that guys like Joe, an styles, Finn Balor just to name a few, will be in the company 10 years is a big gamble, reigns will be there for the long run unless he get a serious injury so in the aspect, he's going to be the face of the company for a long time.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I mean they pushed him harder than any other wrestler in history almost at this point with more money poured into the promotion of him than he’s bringing in. He’s a star, but a guy like AJ Styles came in and while fans may of at least heard of him he became a guy who gets bigger reactions than the top guy in less than a third of the time with way less given to him. It’s pretty bad. He’s a good worker, but they really messed up on him. Saying he’ll ever be a Rock, Cena, Austin, Hogan or even a Jericho is a stretch. Closest we had got buried and fed to Reigns as being one of his small buddies. Seth Rollins. You literally have to give this dude millions of dollars a month, endless PPV & TV main events, endless high profile feuds where he goes over, and legends to put him over. Even then that’s not true either, because he still hasn’t peaked above pseudo top dog in sports entertainment. He’s just a big dog.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:42 AM
ROH Pure Champion

Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...

In regards to John Cena being "popular", it seems people are confusing starring in Hollywood movies and TV shows for being popular. With the exception of his Doctor Of Thuganomics run in 2004, John Cena has never been popular. Didn't even come close to the level of Hogan, Austin, Rock, not even Goldberg. The guy has been hated by majority of fans and seen as the guy who killed wrestling's coolness/popularity for the last decade. He'll forever be associated with that stigma and bringing nothing but negativity to wrestling's image. If starring in Hollywood movies and TV shows equates to popularity then you may aswell deem guys like Nathan Jones and Kurrgan "popular" because they have been in Hollywood movies too. If John Cena is a celebrity of any kind, I assure you it's only in America and not outside of it as Cena is an absolute nobody down here in the UK. He doesn't have the same celebrity status and appeal as the top stars that came before him.

As for Roman, he's being pushed the exact same way Cena has for the last 12 years, he's being shoved down our throats so bad that we have no choice but to accept him as WWE's top star, so yes Roman will be going Hollywood and starring in movies and TV shows in 10 years time. But "popular" and a "big star"? Not even close just like John Cena isn't.

Last edited by Wolf Pac : 12-16-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
Million Dollar Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...

It hasn't been long enough since we had that discussion...So I'll be brief.

He's a star, but not a superstar. Superstars are HHH, Cena, Lesnar.

Roman is just a star. Main event star for sure, but definately not a superstar. Just like everyone on the WWE roster. I'd argue that out of the "stars", Roman isn't even #1.

However he's about 5th or 6th on the line. Things might change, but consider this:

Cena, Triple H, Rock, Austin.. They all were superstars after their first 5 years in the WWE. Roman isn't. WWE's popularity at each time is an important factor in this, but so is Roman's and WWE's failure to bring in or back, viewers.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:39 PM
WWE Women's Champion

Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Noto thisu shitu again.

Ofcourse he is the star. Not on Cena or Rock level but biggest active star(not counting part timers like Cena or Brock) they have today. WWE invested a lot in him and they wouldnt have big plans if they dont think he makes them money. Plus he is consistent performer. Just look at IC title when he is there and you can see how he elevates it. Now sure, you can say that is because main title isnt there, but you still have to be a star to carry title like that. As for others, Rollins got injured and they couldnt count on him and he was somebody who was pulling main event weight before Roman was no1. Now you can say Styles, but he cant be counted as "the future" due to age (he is 40 already and Roman is 32). Braun is there but he still has a lot to learn and even WWE knows that and gives him "backseat" for now which is probably smart so it wouldnt backfire. Reign constantly delivers for now and WWE can be happy with him. Maybe in future somebody else jumps higher(I am impressed with Owens, if he continues to be constantly good maybe him) but for now Roman does the job.

Last edited by Kodo Sawaki : 12-16-2017 at 12:42 PM.