WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Spam Friendly Sections > Wrestling Spam Zone
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-09-2017, 08:06 AM
Sally Section
Mr. Money in the Bank

Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...
Default Watching RAW from the beginning, this is my observation thread.

-Rob Bartlett makes it about five episodes before Vince starts being pissy at him. I'm on episode 9 and I'm betting he doesn't make it to twenty.
-It's because Rob Bartlett is fucking horrible, but the whole Monday prime time thing was new to professional wrestling. They were appealing to an audience who maybe might like Amy Fisher jokes. (Use your google, kids.)

-Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannety from Royal Rumble 1993 creates the term "being the Jannety". My biggest takeaway from this was Marty's sui-shit dive to the outside, while Shawn just Shawned his way around the ring.

-Bobby Heenan doing the "Narcissist" promos reminded me of nothing other than Mel Brooks. Not "Bobby's doing a good Mel Brooks impression", but "I bet Mel Brooks would do it this way if he was in professional wrestling." Holy shit, was Bobby Heenan not the fucking best?

-The RAW girls. That '80s hair. Gawddamn.
-But any of us who were alive in the early '90s know we were wearing some fucked up shit.

-Speaking of which, Owen Hart at this point looks like he stumbled right off the front of a Trapper Keeper.

-So, uh, who punched Hulk Hogan in the face before Wrestlemania 9?

Last edited by Rayne : 12-09-2017 at 08:24 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Sally Section
Mr. Money in the Bank

Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...

-I was right about Rob Bartlett, he makes it to episode 13. Vince hands him questions in the form of "Rob, you're a fucking idiot, what's you're opinion?"

-The intro promo for The Smoking Gunns (episode 14) comes off as eerily homoerotic today.

-I can't tell if it's harder to watch a one hour show of midcarders vs. jobbers, or today's three-hour RAW.

-This may sound obvious, but I'm going somewhere with this. When he was Fatu, he looked a lot like Jimmy and Jey Uso do today, physique-wise. A little bit bigger, but as Fatu, he wasn't nearly as big as he was as Rikishi. What the hell did he do to himself food-wise between 1993 and 1999?
Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 PM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
Intercontinental Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

It's been rumored that the Smoking Gunns and Brokeback Mountain had some type of tie in. Someone should ask Meltzer.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:48 AM

Vageena Hertz is looking to come up from OCW...Vageena Hertz is looking to come up from OCW...Vageena Hertz is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post

-This may sound obvious, but I'm going somewhere with this. When he was Fatu, he looked a lot like Jimmy and Jey Uso do today, physique-wise. A little bit bigger, but as Fatu, he wasn't nearly as big as he was as Rikishi. What the hell did he do to himself food-wise between 1993 and 1999?
He ate a lot of it?
Old 12-10-2017, 04:45 AM
Sally Section
Mr. Money in the Bank

-The WWF was really behind Doink at this period in time. Most performers are appearing every four weeks due to the WWF's taping schedule at the time- him, Mr. Perfect, and Shawn are on about every other week. Professional wrestling was evolving at this point, and part of evolution is the evolutionary dead end.

-Speaking of Shawn, you know how people complain about champions being booked weak? He turns over the Intercontinental Title to Marty on episode 17, and again manages to make him look like a total schnook in the process. Of course at this point it was becoming obvious there was Big Money in Shawn Michaels (Shawn-Is-Gay chants are popular at this point), while Marty would perhaps be able to anchor midcard feuds in the future. (Spoiler alert: He couldn't.)

-I've said it twice now in three posts. I started watching professional wrestling in 1995, so I only saw Bobby Heenan in WCW. HOLY SHIT is Bobby Heenan gold at this point in time. I knew he was phoning it in in WCW, but gawddamn.

-The Undertaker does a "only dopes use dope" promo with an 11-year old girl reading a poem about drug abuse. Much like when people say "Batman never used guns", point this out when people say "Undertaker has always kept a rock solid commitment to character".

-I'd shine someone's shoes for $100 in today's money, and they could talk shit to me while I did it. I'm not proud.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Join WZCW because writing is hip
Million Dollar Champion

Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...

You are a brave, brave soul going through all the Raw programs. A hero is born.

TALK TO JIM
Old 12-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Sally Section
Mr. Money in the Bank

-Kids today are going to look at WWE Network ($9.99 a month!) advertisements like old folks like me look at advertisements with Todd Pettengill (if I misspelled that I don't care) for WWF Mania. Yikes.

-King of the Ring 1993 is an amazing, old school pay-per-view. None of the tournament matches are cheap gimmicks- even an on-paper shitshow like Lex Luger vs. Tatanka had the crowd into it. Is the quality of professional wrestling amazing and technical? No. But they worked for a month to build into the tournament and it paid off on the pay-per-view. There's an interview with Bret Hart where he describes the type of fight he'd be in between Mr. Perfect and Mr. Hughes in the next round, which is the kind of thing you *never* see today. I miss that. If they do a tournament these days, the winner is obvious and the other matches are treated as preliminaries to the real show.

-Speaking of "describing the match", you're already witnessing the changeover here between describing the wrestling and selling the product. Stuff like advertisements for "The Matrix" (featuring hitman John Matrix on the USA Network) is to be expected, but stuff like selling people who aren't in the match or even on the show is starting to creep into the product. This is the seed that sprouted into Michael Cole.

-Wrestling is a reflection of society, and I'm not touching the "is WWE racist" bit with a stolen dick, but it's surprising how much race relations have changed in just twenty-five years. Hulk Hogan refers to Yokozuna as "the Jap"; Bobby Heenan makes all kinds of teepee jokes whenever Tatanka's on screen, including the 'boh-boh-boh-boh-boh' with his hand. (In and of itself, a new Native American character dancing around in a headdress would never fly in and of itself today.) I'm surprised the WWE never went back and snipped that shit out.

-Yes, I'm watching the WWE Network version, so that is what it is.

Last edited by Rayne : 12-10-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias

Once you get up to September of 1995 you should do Nitro too alongside Raw.

"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
Dagger is the John Cena of this site.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:09 AM
Sally Section
Mr. Money in the Bank

-The Men On A Mission introductory promos would fit right in on an episode of Southpaw Regional Wrestling.

-The really fun thing about this era is it seems that someone's being introduced every other week who would go onto a twenty-year long career. I mean, even Nelson Frazier stuck around for quite some time. (Mo..... could you even find him with a google search? Fun fact, you can, and as of 2015 he was still performing on the indy circuit.)

-I take back what I say about whether it's harder to watch early '90s RAW or today's RAW. Today's RAW is way worse to suffer through. One hour shows gave them a choice in what they wanted to put out there (a process they were still figuring out at this point); with a three-hour show, they have to find so much crap to fill all of that time. There's more filler in one episode of today's RAW than there is in a month's worth of early '90s RAW, and this is when three out of four matches involved a straight-up jobber. (Not today's 'we'll give him a win streak and then Dolph will be fine for another two years' jobber.)

-Marty continues to look like a schnook: Shawn wins the Intercontinental title back from him on a house show which rates about a ten-second mention.

-Things They Don't Do Anymore: permanent feuds between performers. Jerry Lawler and Bret Hart are starting up around now. Today, Michael Cole would be talking about how Daniel Bryan has won him over. In this era, Lawler doesn't let up on Bret Hart, even when they have no active program going.

-Bobby Heenan Says: "I hear President Clinton likes Flowers on his desk every morning." Oh, Bobby, you rascal you.

-Every time I hear the RAW intro music from this era, it ends, and in my head I hear Terry Funk yelling "Forever, and ever, and ever", so thanks for that Maffew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post
Once you get up to September of 1995 you should do Nitro too alongside Raw.
I shudder at the thought, but I probably will. This isn't intended to be a weekly recap of old RAW episodes, but I am trying to highlight the way professional wrestling has developed since the advent of prime-time professional wrestling, and I don't see how that's possible to do without adding Nitro into the mix. Send booze. Which means this project, where we're almost through half a year already, will slam to a screeching halt in about 1996 or so once we start doing two and three hour shows.

I've been looking for some sort of "professional wrestling history" type project for a while, since professional wrestling is some weird warped reflection of society. Originally I was thinking of covering "episodes" of history, such as CM Punk's one-year reign, or "suddenly Daniel Bryan" from Wrestlemania 30, but I think this kind of 'review from the beginning' might be the best way to illustrate the way professional wrestling (and society) has changed since the early '90s.

Last edited by Rayne : 12-11-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Sally Section
Mr. Money in the Bank

-Things You Don't See Anymore: Jerry Lawler goes into the stands to interview Stu and Helen Hart, a good ten to fifteen minutes into a match between Bret and Bam Bam Bigelow. I don't even think you could do this bit anymore. The Bret/Lawler thing worked because Bret almost never got his hands on Jerry, and the WWE doesn't really have an arena setup now where a 'dignified guest' could be placed anywhere besides ringside. Plus, the crowd wouldn't be listening to the interview, they'd be trying to get themselves over.

-Episode 29: The Macho Midget (which means Bobby Heenan making short jokes), Jim Cornette is introduced as the American representative for Yokozuna. This is a good one.

-Lex Luger is getting the ultimate metaphorical blowjob right now in something that screams nothing less than "oh fuck, we need a new Hogan". I'm sure this will end up working out for them.

-With Rob Bartlett gone, Pissy Vince is also gone. The RAW product is starting to come together at this point in time into the shape it would hold until the Attitude Era.

-So weird to see the WWF run down an entire pay-per-view card four weeks before the event. Nowadays, there are years we don't even know the Wrestlemania main event four weeks beforehand.

-Things That Don't Happen Anymore: Four weeks of pre-emption for the Westminster Dog Show and the US Open.