WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 10-26-2017, 02:37 AM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Most important Wrestlemania(s)?

Hey guys, now I know that most of you will shoot straight for the first one and with good reason; without that we don't have any of the others but my personal choice for most important would be Wrestlemania 14 because it was the turning point between WCW and WWF; before that WWF was on its last legs... taking out the water coolers etc but just after Austin rose to the top of the mountain the tide change very quickly and WWF never turned back. Without this event theres no public offering for WWF, theres no victory over WCW assured. What do you guys think?

My two runners up are number 1 and number 3 of course.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:59 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

1 - it was the first and the make it or break it moment and brought WWF to the mainstream

3 - I guess this goes w/o saying

13 - Its considered the most important in Hindsight. Due to it being a catalyst on the rise of Austin

14 - The birth of the Attitude Era
Old 10-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

For me the most important ones are

3: This was the point Vince HAD to make it work, 1 had done OK, 2 had been lacklustre but had 3 not been the mega success it was, then the WWF would have been in serious financial trouble, indeed the whole landscape could have been much different. As it WAS the success it was, it allowed Vince to "oil change" the talent right after, jettisoning some of the older talents like Sheik, Orton Jr. and the like and bring in new names like Rick Rude, Ted DiBiase, Jim Duggan... all cherry picked from other territories. If the event had done well but not brilliantly, then there would have been no real incentive for those talents to leave and the product would have become even staler as those aging talents had to be recycled again.

10: The next most important Mania was for similar reasons... There had been 2 very bad Mania's in a row... but more importantly this was the first one truly without Hulk Hogan and with the "New Generation" of talent. Vince didn't quite have 100% faith in them, he reactivated Randy Savage after only a year before putting him out to pasture and relied still on Piper and Burt Reynolds of all people to pump up the "star power" but it was crucial 10 succeeded... It did in the main, but if we're really honest it was Owen v Bret, the Ladder Match and Bret v Yoko that were truly memorable... perhaps I am being harsh on Savage v Crush, but while the show didn't quite do as well as hoped, it certainly proved that Bret, Shawn, Owen and newer talents COULD replace Hogan.

14: Another must succeed as this was the "final roll of the dice" for Vince... had Austin/Attitude NOT worked, the WWF was over and WCW would have won the war... It was also the first time that Bret, who had been one of the most reliable parts of all Mania's since 2 wasn't there...and where REALLY new talent, who had barely been around just 2 years prior, like The Rock, Kane, Taka Michinoku and Ken Shamrock were taking major places on the card.

After the Monday Night War was won, there hasn't really been a crucial one... until 34... If this next one is lacklustre in any way, it could start the end for the WWE... they NEED something big, be it Ronda, Conor or the return of CM Punk... Roman v Brock isn't gonna cut it. If 34 bombs, so do their TV deal negotiations and most of their revenue...
Old 10-26-2017, 10:39 AM
#SwerveKing
WWE Diva's Champion

Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...

1, 3, and 14 are the no brainers, but I'd also like to add WrestleMania 21 into the mix.

Much like WrestleMania 14, Mania 21 was a turning point for the WWE that put the world title on the new top babyface for the first time. It was the night that both Batista and John Cena won their first world championship, taking their place as the top guy on each brand. Looking back on it now, Cena's win was particularly significant as the years that followed were essentially the John Cena era.

WrestleMania 21 also helped elevate Edge. This is where he won the original Money In The Bank, a concept that has persisted to this day. Edge would go on to become one of the top heels in this new era, and that run really began with him cashing in MITB.

Lastly, Randy Orton was featured in a big match with the Undertaker. This is when the streak was really starting to gain momentum and be emphasized, something that WWE would later rely on heavily to promote future WrestleManias. As the Legend Killer, Orton was a believable challenger to the streak, and this was Orton's first one-on-one match at a WrestleMania.

John Cena, Batista, Edge, Randy Orton. The top faces and heels of the next generation. WrestleMania 21 was pivotal for all of them.

Last edited by Sexcellence of Sexecution : 10-26-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:06 PM
I know my name/avi/sig don't match.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...

No point in mentioning the other ones that have already been mentioned but I'm gonna give a nod to WrestleMania 30.

I feel like its impact has diminished some due to Bryan's early "retirement" but all considered, I think it was a pretty monumental show. You had the culmination of a nearly year long storyline, and of course the ending of the streak.

Also, I think that was the real start of this new era we're in right now. That's really why I'm giving it the nod. It probably had already started but it's easy to point at a WrestleMania for a good timeline starter. Everything had been bubbling under the surface for a while and I think that Daniel Bryan win just sent everything boiling over and it hasn't stopped since.

It doesn't match the importance of a 1, 3, 14 or even 21 but I don't think it's a stretch at all to say it's the most important Mania since 21.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
United States Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Life Of Pablo Ren View Post
No point in mentioning the other ones that have already been mentioned but I'm gonna give a nod to WrestleMania 30.

I feel like its impact has diminished some due to Bryan's early "retirement" but all considered, I think it was a pretty monumental show. You had the culmination of a nearly year long storyline, and of course the ending of the streak.

Also, I think that was the real start of this new era we're in right now. That's really why I'm giving it the nod. It probably had already started but it's easy to point at a WrestleMania for a good timeline starter. Everything had been bubbling under the surface for a while and I think that Daniel Bryan win just sent everything boiling over and it hasn't stopped since.

It doesn't match the importance of a 1, 3, 14 or even 21 but I don't think it's a stretch at all to say it's the most important Mania since 21.
I would argue that 30 was just as important since it was the first Mania held on the Network. I can't imagine the Network would have such legs if that strong card didn't draw the number of viewers that it did.

I think 23 was pretty important as it was the start of continuously "filling" large stadiums.
GSB Observation #8675309 - I've never seen Samoa Joe and Manny from Modern Family in the same room at the same time, coincidence?
Old 10-26-2017, 03:26 PM
WWE Women's Champion

LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...

WrestleMania VII

The beginning of The Undertaker's streak. The perfectly written career match between Savage and Warrior. And Hulk Hogan overcoming the American traitor Sgt Slaughter in the midst of the Gulf War.

WrestleMania X

The first WrestleMania to not feature Hulk Hogan, where the new generation was truly born.

WrestleMania XXXII

This is where the Divas championship was officially renamed the Women's championship and the women got to put on a great match to show they should be taken seriously. Not just a bathroom break match.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:01 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

WrestleMania's 1,3 and 14 are in a class by themselves. If any one of these does not go off as planned there would be serious questions about the WWF surviving and thriving as we know it.

I would add 6 to the next tier. This was the culmination of the "Hulkamania Era" from '84-'90. The crowning moment of Hogan passing the torch to Warrior. The build up was just as incredible as any WrestleMania before or since with both Hogan and Warrior cutting classic promos. It was the first match of it's kind. Babyface vs babyface. I remember knowing or having an idea of who was going to go "over" in the previous Mania's but this was the first time where we didn't know.

The venue was spectacular. Over 67,000 at the brand new SkyDome. In attendance were future superstars Edge, Christian and Lance Storm and they would cite this event as being key to their decisions to become pro wrestlers. I believe a number of other wrestler's have also cited this match as having an impact on them as well.

While Warrior didn't have the success of Hogan or Austin no one can deny the incredible platform that was designed to send him off into the 1990's as World Champion. After two lackluster Mania's in a relatively small venue (Trump Plaza) this was the Mania that took the WWF global. It served notice that WWF wasn't just a northeast promotion or a U.S. based promotion. No. The WWF would hit the biggest stadiums and domes around the world and this was the Mania that established that fact.

Last edited by Makaveli31 : 10-26-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:44 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

As mentioned above, I agree WM 1/3/14 are probably the most important.

I think another that deserves mention is WM17. It was the end of an era. It was the end of the Monday Night War era, the attitude era, and was really, IMO, the end of the greatest run in wrestling history. It would follow with the invasion, many titles within the company, a ton of signings from WCW.....which turned into the brand split era. To me this was a huge shift in wrestling as we knew it. It was the last of the days Vince has. I legitimate competition. It was the day Stone Cold turned heel ending Austin/McMahon.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...

Here is my top 5 with reasons....

1) Wrestlemania 1 - it was the one that set the stage for the yearly wrestling superbowl.
2) Wrestlemania 3 - Hogan slamming Andre is one of the biggest iconic moments ever
3) Wrestlemania XIV - Austin beating Michaels truly launched the attitude era
4) Wrestlemania X8 - Rock over Hogan another truly iconic moment
5) Wrestlemania 26 - The first Michaels vs. Taker match was better but the retiring of the heartbreak kid and the Cena vs. Batista Title Match gives this one the edge.