WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 10-04-2017, 03:41 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

I_Like_All_Wrestling is looking to come up from OCW...I_Like_All_Wrestling is looking to come up from OCW...I_Like_All_Wrestling is looking to come up from OCW...I_Like_All_Wrestling is looking to come up from OCW...I_Like_All_Wrestling is looking to come up from OCW...I_Like_All_Wrestling is looking to come up from OCW...I_Like_All_Wrestling is looking to come up from OCW...

This is a difficult question and needs parameters. Pretty much anyone before, maybe, the late 90's came from somewhere else, and lots were big names there. So if you're going to do that, it has to be Hogan. Though I don't really know how big he was outside of WWE. Beyond that, you would have to pick Ric Flair. He was and probably will always be known as the NWA/WCW guy.

From the late 90's to early 00's you had the ECW and WCW crowd, almost all of which have gone on to WWE. Out of that crowd, Chris Jericho is probably the biggest. Unless you argue that Austin was big enough outside of WWE. Actually, Austin probably was more successful than Jericho in WCW but I think Jericho was more successful other places maybe. If that's it, you have to give it to Austin then.

Now, if we're doing the post territory, post-WCW/ECW era, that limits who it can be. Because again, almost everyone wrestled somewhere else. CM Punk probably was on his way to being that guy. Daniel Bryan is probably more well know, but same thing as Pun, was an indie and ROH guy. AJ on the other hand was a guy on TV for more than a decade with TNA, and then also ROH and NJPW. So out of the current crop, he probably is the most "non-WWE" guy currently. But even then, his current success is still not huge.

So for me, based on someone being "known" as a non-WWE guy first, I'd probably give it to Ric Flair.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 PM

WWEWrestleFest is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmoon View Post
Well, after arriving in the WWF, Hulk Hogan became quite possibly the most famous and successful wrestler of all time, so the obvious answer is Hulk Hogan. He was the champion and face of the organization for the best part of a decade and pivotal in the success of Wrestlemania. Steve Austin would be another strong answer and Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels deserve honorable mentions.
All of those guys are remembered most for their WWE/WWF runs though They may not have been seen as WWE guys when they first started, but by the time they left, they were always going to have the WWF/WWE branding. I think the answer is Ric Flair because he's still best remembered for his NWA/WCW days with the Horsemen, but was pushed to the top of the WWF as soon as he got there and had multiple moments like the 1992 Rumble, the WM8 match with Savage, the WM18 match with Undertaker, the whole Evolution angle, and the retirement match with HBK that were all really high profile.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...

A lot of these guys are foreign or older. A majority of people will reference people who they have been overexposed to due to living in their own bubble and WWE revisionist history. If we're talking some of these people in the early 20's all the way to late 50's the Top guys never even knew WWE was going to be a thing and were more successful than pretty much everyone today objectively. Then we have guys like Blue demon and god forbid you mention Rikidozan.

I can't go back 3-4 Decades and mention Hogan or Flair and take the answer seriously. They're heavily overexposed, Literally both had runs in WWE and WWF, and have appeared on TV of WWE programming even just this year (Flair, Hardly long ago for HH). If we went back that far we could mention people like Lou and at his peak popularity it'd be incredibly hard to even playfully make an argument against him outside of the literal highest peak of top guys in WWE. Then it really isn't pertaining to the topic or context, because they were in WWE.

So if we can't go back to Wrestling at it's absolute peak and reference a Lou, Rikidozan, Blue Demon, etc. when they're more than likely the objective Answer. We're left with people citing people citing indy guys (who even had great WWE runs lol) who at their peak were not as popular as Jushin Thunder Liger, Misawa, or Kenta Kobashi. Then if you want to go even further. Antonio Inoki and Giant Baba did an incredibly minuscule amount of WWF stuff (not even relevant) and out did someone like a Hogan and Flair for a MUCH longer time than those two were at their peak wrestling popularity with less push and pop culture relevance.

On a side note. Kenny Omega, Tanahashi, Okada, Young Bucks are credible in the topic, but in the long scheme of things like people are aiming towards they are really not even possible objective options. It'd either be them or foreigners / old guys in true never made it in/ to the WWE or F. Other than that it's pretty much just who your biased point of view leans towards with the abundance of information you've received on that one individual as backing. Which at the end of the day is as credible as adding "In your own opinion" to the main question. Not credible at all.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Da Best Sports Entertainer Ever
WWF Hardcore Champion

BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika View Post
A lot of these guys are foreign or older. A majority of people will reference people who they have been overexposed to due to living in their own bubble and WWE revisionist history. If we're talking some of these people in the early 20's all the way to late 50's the Top guys never even knew WWE was going to be a thing and were more successful than pretty much everyone today objectively. Then we have guys like Blue demon and god forbid you mention Rikidozan.

I can't go back 3-4 Decades and mention Hogan or Flair and take the answer seriously. They're heavily overexposed, Literally both had runs in WWE and WWF, and have appeared on TV of WWE programming even just this year (Flair, Hardly long ago for HH). If we went back that far we could mention people like Lou and at his peak popularity it'd be incredibly hard to even playfully make an argument against him outside of the literal highest peak of top guys in WWE. Then it really isn't pertaining to the topic or context, because they were in WWE.

So if we can't go back to Wrestling at it's absolute peak and reference a Lou, Rikidozan, Blue Demon, etc. when they're more than likely the objective Answer. We're left with people citing people citing indy guys (who even had great WWE runs lol) who at their peak were not as popular as Jushin Thunder Liger, Misawa, or Kenta Kobashi. Then if you want to go even further. Antonio Inoki and Giant Baba did an incredibly minuscule amount of WWF stuff (not even relevant) and out did someone like a Hogan and Flair for a MUCH longer time than those two were at their peak wrestling popularity with less push and pop culture relevance.

On a side note. Kenny Omega, Tanahashi, Okada, Young Bucks are credible in the topic, but in the long scheme of things like people are aiming towards they are really not even possible objective options. It'd either be them or foreigners / old guys in true never made it in/ to the WWE or F. Other than that it's pretty much just who your biased point of view leans towards with the abundance of information you've received on that one individual as backing. Which at the end of the day is as credible as adding "In your own opinion" to the main question. Not credible at all.
The OP is asking for wrestlers who made it in WWE but made their name elsewhere. Blue Demon, Rikidozan, and a lot of the wrestlers you brought up never made it in WWE.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:15 PM

Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
The OP is asking for wrestlers who made it in WWE but made their name elsewhere. Blue Demon, Rikidozan, and a lot of the wrestlers you brought up never made it in WWE.
Ye. It was late last night and I didn't even realize I was on this thread or this site until like hours after I had slept and woken up Lol. Thanks for pointing it out though so it looks slightly less insane in context Lol.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 AM

Just Do It is looking to come up from OCW...Just Do It is looking to come up from OCW...Just Do It is looking to come up from OCW...

Goldberg did great in 2016, Sting did great in 2014 to fit in before it went south, AJ Styles is doing great right now.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:15 PM

Eyebrows is looking to come up from OCW...Eyebrows is looking to come up from OCW...Eyebrows is looking to come up from OCW...Eyebrows is looking to come up from OCW...Eyebrows is looking to come up from OCW...

I feel like the question is geared towards more recent 'indie' guys from the past 10 years as an antithesis to those who went through WWE development, or those who made their name in ECW, WCW.

I'd have to go with Bryan for the sheer popularity he had, and because him not being a 'WWE guy' was brought up as a major part of his character and storyline. Seth Rollins would be another one. Styles hasn't been there that long and it's crazy how much he's accomplished already. CM Punk was phenomenal.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:10 AM
Hawky95

Hawkseye95 is looking to come up from OCW...

I would say ric flair or mankind, ric flair just for everything he has done for the business and also that 92 rumble which is the first ppv I saw and I have loved flair ever since, mankind for his contributions to the Monday night wars, he helped build up WCW, then helped build up ECW, then arguably won the Monday night wars when he won the title on that crazy episode of raw.
For the modern day fans it would have to be Daniel Bryan, what he did at wrestlemania 30 will never be achieved again and I will forever remember his yes invasion on raw, for me one of the best raw moments in my memory
Old 10-23-2017, 12:09 AM
Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie
WWE Women's Champion

stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmoon View Post
Well, after arriving in the WWF, Hulk Hogan became quite possibly the most famous and successful wrestler of all time, so the obvious answer is Hulk Hogan. He was the champion and face of the organization for the best part of a decade and pivotal in the success of Wrestlemania. Steve Austin would be another strong answer and Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels deserve honorable mentions.
And, people forget that Hogan was trained by Hiro Matsuda and wrestled in the NWA in the South before his first run in WWE. Hogan COMPLETELY reinvented himself in Japan. Close behind are Randy Savage and Bret Hart. Of the Modern Era, I am surprised that nobody mentioned a former WCW jobber that became a king, or should I say The King, in WWE. I think his name is Hunter Hearst Helmsley.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:14 AM

GetTheTables is looking to come up from OCW...

Well how about Sting? Oh, wait. Nevermind. WWE used him horribly and he had just a 2-2 record. In the past few years Triple H has done a very good job of putting other talent over (Roman, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins), still not sure why they decided to have Trips beat Sting at Mania.