WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 09-21-2017, 09:26 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...
Default 1990 Rumble VS 1992--I feel your heads exploding but....

I was watching Royal Rumble 1990 recently and the amount of talent in that Rumble match made me wonder if it could be argued as superior to the 1992 Rumble, which is often described as the greatest collection of talent, at least from that era. As I watched the 1990 match, it just seemed to be a balanced, unending stream of legends and Hall of Famers. 1992 was amazing, don’t get me wrong, but this one really stood out to me. So, I decided to compare the two matches and here is how I looked at it…

First, I compared the lists and separated those who were in both Rumbles (Hogan, DiBiase, Jake, Piper, Hercules, Barbarian, Tito, Martel, Savage, Warlord, Haku, Smash/Repo Man, Snuka and Shawn Michaels)

Secondly, I looked at the Hall of Famers from each match.
1990 = Andre, Bret, Perfect, Warrior, Dusty, Rude and Koko (please save your Koko arguments for another post)
1992 = Flair, Slaughter, Duggan, Tornado, Valentine, Volkoff, Mustafa and Boss Man. I also put Taker here, since he is a lock.
By quantity, 1992 has the edge. Quality can be argued as some from each list were passed their primes.

Then, I looked at the remaining competitors.
1990 = Akeem, Ax, Bad News, Bravo, Earthquake, Honky, Neidhart, Jannetty and Rooster.
1992 = Bulldog, Sid, IRS, Sags, Berzerker, Skinner, Virgil
Here, each list has some easily omitted names, but I feel 1990 has the better overall list; not just in quantity, but quality as well.

Next, I looked at the timing, in regards to their careers. For example, Bret was an established tag champ, but not yet a singles star. Other examples would be Michaels and Taker eventually becoming legends, but not yet at this point, as well as many whose primes were long ago like, Andre, Dusty, Slaughter, Valentine, Volkoff and Sheik. Some had gas left in the tank, but their popularity was as high as it ever would have gotten. Whereas Flair was already established and still had plenty to give.

Finally, I looked at the Rumble-watching experience as a whole. Without a doubt (as you probably guess from my name) I felt the ’92 Gorilla/Brain combo was much better than the ’90 Ventura/Schiavone duo. I absolutely love Jesse on commentary, but as a package, I’ll take the other two. Heenan’s call of this match was legendary. 1990 had ring entrance music throughout the match. That was not always the case back then and I loved it here. Also, I loved that, in 1990, the managers were allowed to stay at ringside as long as their men were in the match. It was a great visual with Heenan, Fuji, Sherri, Virgil…I loved this! Speaking of visual, I also loved how the ’90 Rumble looked. I just thought the colors looked great in 1990. I know I will be in the minority—or even alone—of people who notice these things. But all in the ring at once: Bret’s pink, Jake’s green, Piper’s blue, Savage’s floral, even Warlord’s black. Throughout you had Koko and the Rockers and Warrior, and later Hogan’s classic yellow. Granted, many of the people I mentioned here were in the ’92 match also. But, the way the ring looked in 1990, it was just nice to see so many characters stand out with their own styles.

Careful not to lean one way or the other, simply to go against the accepted answer, I still concluded that 1990 was a better Rumble match overall. From top to bottom, the overall roster was stronger and, although the title—or even a title shot—wasn’t on the line, I loved the overall presentation of the ’90 Rumble. I do wish Perfect had won, but I’ll save the rewriting of PPVs for other posts. Both Rumbles are stacked and I could watch either one over and over. But, 1990 just never seemed to have a lull, with a long string of no-chance-to-win competitors—though the title shot not being on the line opened the door for more possibilities, theoretically. Flair winning in ’92 was great, that match is much, much more important, historically, and I have watched that Rumble more than any other, but for the overall experience (roster, music, managers, crowd enthusiasm), my vote goes to 1990 as a better watch.

Last edited by HeenanGorilla : 09-21-2017 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Spelling/Punctuation...it's a sickness. Haha
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:08 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I think the two are fairly evenly matched. I think 1992 gets the nod mainly because it really meant something, and there was a story being told throughout the match, whereas 1990 was lots of sub-stories creating a great match.

I do feel that 1990 doesn't get the love it deserves, and that is probably down to Hulk Hogan winning it. But then, if the WWF Champion, the peak of the entire roster, was in the match, it stands to reason he would have a decent shot of winning it all.

I don't mind the Ventura-Schiavone pairing on commentary, arguably Schiavone worked best IMO with the Body (though Ventura's iconic partnership will always be with Gorilla Monsoon) BUT as you say - and I tweeted this out of respect when I heard the Brain had passed last Monday - the commentary from the 1992 Rumble match, particularly from Heenan, is probably one of the all-time best pieces of commentary for any wrestling match ever. That too boosts 1992, the whole package.

Ultimately, these are my favourite (1992) and third favourite (1990) Royal rumble matches of all time, only separated by the 2001 edition. Not bad considering they were the third and fifth edition, that they have lasted the rest of time and are still two of the best of the 30 ppv matches we have watched.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...

1992 also had one of my favourite promos ever, in the post-match interview, and it really put over how important the WWF Championship was, when Ric Flair declared, "with a tear in my eye, this is the greatest moment of my life." Simply epic by the Nature Boy.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:37 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

This is the thing, the Rumble was still "finding its feet" in 1990, it was in essence, the second "proper" Rumble and for me, it was the best version of it.

There were no title implications because the champ was in the match... I always felt they erred having Hogan win two in a row as by default, whoever eliminated him could be the new #1 contender and not hamstring the booking for Mania every damn year. How much better would the Warrior/Hogan build up have been if Warrior had eliminated him?

I loved how back then they'd keep ongoing stories as part of the Rumble, like Martel and Tito always tearing into each other as soon as both were in the ring, as if their feud never actually ended. Later it all became about how long someone lasted or how many eliminations and 92 plays a big part in ruining the event if I'm honest.

It really should have been one and done for the title implications.

1990 overall was a better show... mainly because you genuinely did feel that Hogan could lose it at various points and that there could be a shock winner. In 92 you knew it was either Hogan, Flair or Sid who were taking that title and it wasn't as exciting.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 PM

WWEWrestleFest is looking to come up from OCW...

1990 is actually my favorite Royal Rumble of all time. I was a kid back then and a huge Hulkamaniac, so to see Hogan win was awesome. They had had two Rumbles before this, and the winners were Big John Studd and Jim Duggan, so I didn't go in thinking "oh of course Hogan's gonna win." Him winning wasn't as obvious to kid-me as it probably was to older smart marks back then, so I was genuinely surprised and happy with the result.

And it's hard to explain to anyone who wasn't watching wrestling back then, but I had never seen anything like the two minutes or whatever length it was of the Hogan/Warrior confrontation. As a kid watching that, it really felt like Superman facing off against Batman.

And that period of WWF, from WrestleMania 5 to WM6, that was probably my all-time favorite year of wrestling as well. By 1992 I was getting sort of tired of wrestling, and after WM8, I would actually stop watching for a while. Don't get me wrong, I love the 1992 Rumble too, but I'll always vote for 1990 as my favorite.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:08 PM

WWEWrestleFest is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
How much better would the Warrior/Hogan build up have been if Warrior had eliminated him?
No. The whole point was NO ONE had beaten Hogan clean at that point. That's what made Warrior's win special. Granted, it's a Rumble not an actual match, but having Hogan lose on the previous PPV wouldn't have had as big of an impact as it did when Warrior beat Hogan at WM6. Obviously the Warrior run didn't work out the way they wanted it to, but it was a big deal at the time that he was the first person to beat Hogan without cheating. The following year, Hogan didn't need to win that Rumble. They could have had someone else win 1991. But in 1990, the correct man won.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:05 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

I had never heard of the 92 Rumble being classed as the best ever, I thought both were great but I agree with the 1990 one being my personal favourite, It was one of the first VHS videos along with Survivor Series 88 I had gotten as a child and I had probably watched it about 50 times so both has quite special memories for me when I think back.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:57 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

1990 was a good rumble but doesn't touch the 1992 Flair show

Near the end there wasn't a great number of people in the ring- if I recollect Rick Rude entered the Rumble early (before the timer even started) because there wasn't a great deal of action happening after Hogan and Warrior had double clotheslined each other and were laid on their backs for an eternity.

As I said there were only a handful of wrestlers in after the #30- the rumble was still finding its feet.... as future rumbles tended to have a build up of guys in the ring for the finale

1992 was epic because the title was on the line- and it was the first time someone had walked through the list of competitors (with the exception of Dibiase who was eliminated by Davey Boy before Flairs #3 entry).... and 92 was still very entertaining in spite of this (the Piper vs Flair confrontation, Savage vs Jake confrontation...2 killer fueds at the time... Sid turning on Hogan)

Last edited by Goldie : 09-25-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:02 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
1990 was a good rumble but doesn't touch the 1992 Flair show

Near the end there wasn't a great number of people in the ring- if I recollect Rick Rude entered the Rumble early (before the timer even started) because there wasn't a great deal of action happening after Hogan and Warrior had double clotheslined each other and were laid on their backs for an eternity.
As I said there were only a handful of wrestlers in after the #30- the rumble was still finding its feet.... as future rumbles tended to have a build up of guys in the ring for the finale

1992 was epic because the title was on the line- and it was the first time someone had walked through the list of competitors (with the exception of Dibiase who was eliminated by Davey Boy before Flairs #3 entry).... and 92 was still very entertaining in spite of this (the Piper vs Flair confrontation,
Savage vs Jake confrontation...2 killer fueds at the time... Sid turning on Hogan)
It was Barbarian and he entered 10 seconds early...though they did post the countdown, they started the countdown 10 seconds early. They weren't down as long as you remember.

Those reasons for preferring the '92 Rumble are fine, but I wouldn't call it Sid turning on Hogan. That happened later on SNME. In the Rumble, Sid simply eliminated Hogan in an every-man-for-himself battle royal for the championship. It was only presented as a "betrayal" because of Hogan's crybaby nonsense. Sid, even in kayfabe, did nothing wrong.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:03 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeenanGorilla View Post
It was Barbarian and he entered 10 seconds early...though they did post the countdown, they started the countdown 10 seconds early. They weren't down as long as you remember.

Those reasons for preferring the '92 Rumble are fine, but I wouldn't call it Sid turning on Hogan. That happened later on SNME. In the Rumble, Sid simply eliminated Hogan in an every-man-for-himself battle royal for the championship. It was only presented as a "betrayal" because of Hogan's crybaby nonsense. Sid, even in kayfabe, did nothing wrong.
Actually you are both right, though the Barbarian is more a case of WWE doing what they always do and starting the timer when they felt like it. But Rude did 'jump the gun', which the commentators even mentioned