WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Knockout Champion

RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default The dual-branded tag team divisions will collapse, sooner or later.

Just a cautionary note- I'm not trolling here, I don't derive amusement from giving out grim news, and I'm not a gloomy pessimist, not perpetually anyway.

I've known this for a long time, since the inception of the roster being split into two distinct entities with their own tag team divisions.

It is just very clear to me that two tag team divisions and titles for two separate shows isn't something sustainable, neither materially nor creatively, owing to the dearth of competitive teams and the laziness of the creative.

I also believe, they failed before, they couldn't sustain it before, and they won't this time either.

Just consider the past, the last time they had dual tag team divisions, they thrived and did pretty well for, less than two years(2002-2004).

On Raw you had the likes of Booker T and Goldust, Christian and Lance Storm, Christian and Y2J, Kane and Rob Van Dam.

But things got so bad that they had to bring back the Dudleys, and then by 2004, you had La Resistance being the dominant champions with teams surfing up to challenge them, from William Regal and Tajiri to William Regal and Eugene. It was awful, basically. Nowhere near the Zenith of tag team abundance we saw previously in the WWF and WCW.

Meanwhile on Smackdown, you had some of the most amazingly athletic, competitive matches and teams in Benoit and Angle, Edge and Mysterio, Guerreros, but all of that only lasted for a year.

By 2005, you had MnM as your champions feuding with Heidenreich and Animal for a year, and by 2006, it got so bad that at one point they had Brian Kendrick and Paul London as champions with no novel challengers, so they held the titles for over a year. Not a very thriving, competitive scene.

This clearly shows that the WWE cannot sustain two separate tag divisions because:-
1)Lack of good, exciting teams on both shows.
2)Creative only focuses on the Tag division for a stretch, and then suddenly, it has to focus on the main show or titles like the World title and IC/US title.
3)You can only bring back former glorious teams so many times(like the Hardys).

This, the WWE realized by 2009 and thus unified the tag team titles.

Now, for those of you who're going to say, "Wait, this is the new era, we have NXT, we have so many new teams waiting to debut on the main shows"..I used to think the same, but it's erroneous.

What'll happen is by the time any 2 new teams debut, 2 of the existing teams will be defunct, resulting in only 4 really functioning tag teams on each show.

Also, you have to consider Injuries.

So now on Raw you have Hardys and Shea-Saro who've fought a dozen times, the Revival are out, the Club haven't done a thing of note for much of their stint on Raw, so they're trying to sustain the division by inserting Rollins and Ambrose, which is good, but for how long can they sustain? (Do Slater and Rhyno count?)

And if things are bad on Raw, they have been utterly dismal on Smackdown. For the better part of the incipient year of the roster split, after all the "promises", the American Alpha were barely featured(and are now defunct), the Ascension are nondescript, the Fashion Police seem to have only one function these days, that of apparently satirical fashion segments and not active competition, while the Usos and New Day feud, but for how long?

By the time some new team from NxT debuts on Smackdown, one or two of the existent teams may not even be there.

I think I have done my premise justice with the arguments so far, and it's only a matter of time before the current dual-branded tag team structure, as pessimistic as I may sound while stating it, collapses.

Last edited by RomanfreakinReigns : 08-07-2017 at 04:05 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:00 PM
I Am Jericho
WWE Diva's Champion

The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I have to agree. The tag team scene is awful in WWE right now. But I don't know who's fault it really is. On Raw, you have The Hardy Boys and Cesaro/Sheamus, and that's it. The Revival are unfortunately injured and it is a terrible shame because I love those guys. But then you consider how terribly booked Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows almost since day dot. Only WWE can be held accountable for that. Breaking up Big Cass and Enzo Amore right now seemed very premature too. If you could imagine having these five teams functioning properly, with well drawn stories and feuds, then it could work with the inclusion of lesser teams like a Heath Slater and Rhyno combination. SmackDown is very much in the same situation.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I suppose you could unify the belts but I really don't like that idea. I really enjoy the concept of the brand split when it is executed properly. And by that, I mean no cross-over. Sure, a feud between a Raw and SmackDown guy is fine, but unifying belts makes me feel a little funny about the whole split thing, but that's just my problem really. The ideal situation would be that WWE could sustain two decent divisions on either show, but since the draft last year, neither show has really thrived in that area. SmackDown did until around December last year, and then from there it went down hill fast for me. And I agree with what you say about NXT call ups. And the reality with that is it only works half the time anyway. We've seen various failed call ups so WWE can't rely on that.

The reality is that tag team wrestling is nowhere near what it once was in years gone by. I suppose the widespread attraction isn't there like it used to be. But that doesn't mean it can't still be fun. I mean, Matt and Jeff get some of the biggest reactions every week. So when people care, they care, no matter who it is. WWE has had the resources to make a tag team division work, but that can also be said for the cruiserweight division too. Perhaps fusing the two brand divisions together truly is the only answer, but I partially blame WWE for sometimes overlooking the division.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:59 PM
ROH Pure Champion

d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Max View Post
I have to agree. The tag team scene is awful in WWE right now. But I don't know who's fault it really is. On Raw, you have The Hardy Boys and Cesaro/Sheamus, and that's it. The Revival are unfortunately injured and it is a terrible shame because I love those guys. But then you consider how terribly booked Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows almost since day dot. Only WWE can be held accountable for that. Breaking up Big Cass and Enzo Amore right now seemed very premature too. If you could imagine having these five teams functioning properly, with well drawn stories and feuds, then it could work with the inclusion of lesser teams like a Heath Slater and Rhyno combination. SmackDown is very much in the same situation.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I suppose you could unify the belts but I really don't like that idea. I really enjoy the concept of the brand split when it is executed properly. And by that, I mean no cross-over. Sure, a feud between a Raw and SmackDown guy is fine, but unifying belts makes me feel a little funny about the whole split thing, but that's just my problem really. The ideal situation would be that WWE could sustain two decent divisions on either show, but since the draft last year, neither show has really thrived in that area. SmackDown did until around December last year, and then from there it went down hill fast for me. And I agree with what you say about NXT call ups. And the reality with that is it only works half the time anyway. We've seen various failed call ups so WWE can't rely on that.

The reality is that tag team wrestling is nowhere near what it once was in years gone by. I suppose the widespread attraction isn't there like it used to be. But that doesn't mean it can't still be fun. I mean, Matt and Jeff get some of the biggest reactions every week. So when people care, they care, no matter who it is. WWE has had the resources to make a tag team division work, but that can also be said for the cruiserweight division too. Perhaps fusing the two brand divisions together truly is the only answer, but I partially blame WWE for sometimes overlooking the division.
It doesn't help that they have had three teams (Enzo & Cass, Golden Truth and American Alpha) break up in the last two months. You should split one tag team every few months at the most, not multiple teams.

You don't need to have an Enzo v Cass feud, and a R-Truth v Goldust feud, at the same time.

We haven't seen the Shining Stars, are they did nothing anyway, and many other teams aren't doing much.

I will go further. I think the same thing with the Divas Division. The amount of 5-Diva Matches on Smackdown shows that they don't have enough Divas for two shows.

This is why I have never been a fan of the brand split. There aren't enough teams or Divas to spread across two brands, and the Universal belt is only defended every 2-3 months while Brock has it. I would prefer one brand (with NXT as a secondary brand) and rotate people in and out the shows as you have something for them to do.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
United States Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

They are still running two PPVs a month some months. It would be a big surprise for them to drop a tag title while this is going on since the tag title is staple of filling an undercard. Especially the B level PPVs.

As far as the quality goes, its not a surprise if the tag divisions get less attention in the build up to a dual branded PPV. There really are only so many spots at SummerSlam. The women have surpassed tag team wrestling in importance.

I agree that the two divisions will end some day but I don't have a clue when. It would be more of an interesting point for the OP or anyone else to actually make a prediction as to when it will end.

I would also like someone to answer when WWE featured more than three or four teams on a show or brand for a sustained period of time (like four months). I've been watching for over thirty years and don't remember this ever happening.
GSB Observation #8675309 - I've never seen Samoa Joe and Manny from Modern Family in the same room at the same time, coincidence?
Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Knockout Champion

LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I wish I had been wrong, but when the brand split happened I said it would be a big blow to the tag team ans women's divisions. And it's becoming more apparent now than ever. The tag division was actually in very good/great shape before the brand split. Then with all the recent splits they've created (prematurely I might add) of American Alpha, Enzo & Cass, and Golden Truth, they're in big trouble all of the sudden. Even the Colons could have been a great addition if used properly. They were misused and now have asked for their release and justifiably so. They've even teased a split of the Hype Bros, which I hope to God they rethink now. Smackdown's tag teams are in an even worse spot than Raw's. How would you fix it? This is about the best solution imo for now:

Reunite Harper & Rowan

Reunite the Lucha Dragons

Reunite the Prime Time Players. Young is reportedly set to return soon. If you don't pair him with O'Neil, then put Apollo Crews in that spot.

Team Dolph Ziggler with someone, anyone. Curt Hawkins is the first one to come to mind. Bring Dolph to Raw or Hawkins to SD in one of your "trades."

Create a team or 2 out of cruiserweights who don't have anything going on. Brian Kendrick and Jack Gallagher (no not together) are the first 2 who come to mind from the CW division who actually seem to get a response from the crowd.

Give The Miztourage (Axel & Dallas) some consistent airtime on Raw.

This is about the best they can do right now. I would say call up the Authors of Pain or Blake & Murphy, but I don't think they need to panic. It's salvagable if they just work with what they have.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 PM
The Greatest of All Time
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

The Scarred One is looking to come up from OCW...The Scarred One is looking to come up from OCW...The Scarred One is looking to come up from OCW...The Scarred One is looking to come up from OCW...The Scarred One is looking to come up from OCW...The Scarred One is looking to come up from OCW...

The funny thing is that WWE can have two thriving tag team divisions if they wanted to.

Of course, some things are out of their control. Despite the best efforts from talent to be safe in the ring, injuries can happen. But the reality of having broken up three tag teams in recent memory is something they could've held off on. The Golden Truth and Enzo & Cass have the same storyline going on. One tag partner has had enough of the other and wants nothing to do with them anymore. Now, the other partner wants revenge. It seems a bit redundant. Also, did the WWE really have to break up American Alpha with the whole Jason Jordan/Kurt Angle storyline? Could they have just brought American Alpha over to RAW and have Angle mentor them and then proceed with the Kurt Angle son storyline? It just seems like something that could've waited.

As much sense as it would make, I'm not really a fan of unifying the two tag team championships. Eric Bischoff recently commented that the only way to make the brand extension work is to treat RAW and SmackDown as if they are two separate promotions with not so many crossovers. I agree with him on that. Having a unified tag team champion would just negate the whole premise.

This seems to be the WWE's M.O. when it comes to certain divisions. They get really behind it at first, let it roll for a few months and then just give up and move on to something else. It's like Peter Griffin syndrome. That can be understandable as some storylines need more emphasis than others going into big shows/pay-per-views. But it's not the difficult to at least try and put together two somewhat competitive tag team divisions. Back in 2000/2001, the entire division was dominated by the Dudleyz, Hardyz and Edge & Christian with some teams popping in now and again. Surely they can do that on both shows if the WWE really tried.

But then again, the WWE buried the Ascension as soon as they got called up from NXT. So if the company is willing to do that to a tag team that may or may not have made a difference in the division, what does that say about the company's opinion on tag team wrestling?

Last edited by The Scarred One : 08-07-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
ECW TV Champion

Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Rainbow Yaz

You realize that you aren't dropping some shocking controversial opinion right? You aren't being the bearer of bad news, you are stated a commonly held opinion and trying to spin it to make it look like you came to this conclusion all on your own and you are some prophet spreading a dire warning.

We all knew the tag division and women's division was going to flounder when they split. They barely had enough teams for one competent division, let alone two.

Next you are going to be telling us how the cruiserweight division is going to collapse. Truly an all seeing medium you are.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Knockout Champion

RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarred One View Post
The funny thing is that WWE can have two thriving tag team divisions if they wanted to.
Exactly! That's one of the things, if only they put effort. What excuse do they have now, with a separate roster and writers for SDL, to not have given us compelling and thriving tag team matches involving American Alpha, Usos, and Vaudevillans(back when they hadn't fired Simon Gotch), or Ascension. Matches like triple threat, 30-minute ironman or 2-out-of-3 falls. This, we clearly got back in 2002 with Paul Heyman as the Head writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarred One View Post
Also, did the WWE really have to break up American Alpha with the whole Jason Jordan/Kurt Angle storyline? Could they have just brought American Alpha over to RAW and have Angle mentor them and then proceed with the Kurt Angle son storyline? It just seems like something that could've waited.
Totally agree. They broke them up for all of this mess to surface. Jason Jordan, as much as I like him and as phenomenally athletic he is, is coming across as a chump, especially when Miz imitated his nasal, childlike responses on Miz TV, it was awful.

It shows how he is just so green, and you can't take someone phenomenally athletic and declare him Kurt Angle's lost son() and then expect a new star to be born. Shelton Benjamin was so much better in terms of the mic. They should've given American Alpha some more time, and Jordan some time.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:22 AM

sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...

If they want a second tag team division they have several options...

I think 205 live could handle a cruiserweight tag team division esp if they fought the next tag champs occiosanally,

Or better yet, bring back the women's tag team division.

the Five Moves of doom?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:56 AM

The Samoan Heritage is looking to come up from OCW...The Samoan Heritage is looking to come up from OCW...The Samoan Heritage is looking to come up from OCW...The Samoan Heritage is looking to come up from OCW...The Samoan Heritage is looking to come up from OCW...The Samoan Heritage is looking to come up from OCW...The Samoan Heritage is looking to come up from OCW...The Samoan Heritage is looking to come up from OCW...

(1)The Usos, (2)New Day, (3)Hardys, (4)Revival, (5)Enzo and Cass, (6)American Alpha, (7)Hype bros., (8)Breezango, (9)Anderson & Gallows, (10)Sheamus&Cesaro, (11)Colons, (12)Ascension, (13)Vaudevillians, (14)Golden Truth
Plus potential reforms: PTP, Lucha Dragons, and Harper & Rowan.

I've made this list quite a few times, the last month or so, and I get upset every time. The tag team division had so much potential, yet wwe let it all go to waste.
Other than The Vaudevillians, I don't see any reason for any of these teams to be none existent or not used to their full potential.
I understand wanting to create future single stars, but Jason Jordan and Cass were put in teams because they lacked something that was able to be hidden by working with a partner. Though, each week it is clear that they still need that certain something.
With guys like Strowman, Nakamura, Corbin, Joe, etc all getting pushed, it's hard to see Cass and Jason Jordan going anywhere. They were better off with their respective tag partners

actually I will give wwe credit Currently they are doing pretty well with the tag teams.
On Raw: Sheamus/Cesaro are feuding with Ambrose/Rollins, and I was enjoying the Revival/Hardys/Anderson&Gallows feud, until one of the Revival members got injured.
On SD: I love Breezango's fashion files(occasionally featuring the Ascension), and the New Day vs Usos have been one of the more entertaining feuds, imo.
-Just hate that in a month or so, there don't be much else for New Day/Usos or Sheamus/Cesaro to do.

Last edited by The Samoan Heritage : 08-08-2017 at 01:59 AM.