WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-05-2017, 12:49 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdown View Post
This right here irked the hell out of me. I get that at times both players in a storyline have to trade wins, but I recall that Jarrett always seemed to come out on top when him and Benoit were feuding ove the US title. There's no way in the universe that Jeff Jarrett should've been put over Benoit.
yeah that also irked me too....Benoit is so much better in the ring than Jarrett.
Quote:
Originally Posted by therockiswwf View Post
Vince McMahon winning the WWE title is nothing like David Arquette winning the WCW title. David Arquette was a scrawny little nothing.
really that's all that needs to be said....Arquette is a scrawny little man while Vince McMahon was built like a wrestler. if Arquette had some in ring skills then he could get away with looking like he did, but he couldnt wrestle either.
Quote:
WCW was losing millions and millions of dollars. AOL/TW put them out of their misery.
Time Warner AOL merger did not kill WCW. WCW killed WCW.
True that WCW was losing money, BUT if it was sold to a guy (who also had a tv channel spot prepared for WCW) then there's always a chance it could've survived, just not being the same company that it was. it's not easy booking a wrestling show and making money when there's people who dont know or get wrestling holding you back and that's a big reason why i blame AOL/Time Warner. they never put the company in the hands of a guy who knew wrestling and how to book it.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:47 PM
The voice of Michael Cole's headset
WWE Diva's Champion

therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWRedskins View Post
True that WCW was losing money, BUT if it was sold to a guy (who also had a tv channel spot prepared for WCW) then there's always a chance it could've survived, just not being the same company that it was. it's not easy booking a wrestling show and making money when there's people who dont know or get wrestling holding you back and that's a big reason why i blame AOL/Time Warner. they never put the company in the hands of a guy who knew wrestling and how to book it.
Eric Bischoff tried to find another channel for WCW but was unable to. WWE tried to do the same thing when they bought WCW and they were unable to. WCW was tarnished at the end. No one wanted it. However I can see your point now.

They never put a Vince McMahon type guy in charge of WCW. Lance Storm even said that he still does not know who exactly his boss was. A large portion of the roster had no reason to care. No one really ever got punished. They pretty much let the inmates run the asylum. While some can say it's not always a good thing that Vince micromanages everything, at least it's clear that he is the boss. He is able to keep WWE on a clear course. WCW never really had that.
Rock: IT DOESN'T MATTER
Old 08-05-2017, 07:28 PM
WWE Women's Champion

harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...

I still don't understand people saying Saturn was a good wrestler as, due to injuries etc, he'd lost most of the stuff that made him look great in ECW and when he first joined WCW.
Benoit and Guerrero I get, as they could go. Malenko's biggest plus was that he managed to get an agents job in WWE but, really, he was always better suited to the old school WCW where wrestling mattered.

Still, I loved three count and still think that gimmick could work today.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:09 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Eric Bischoff tried to find another channel for WCW but was unable to. WWE tried to do the same thing when they bought WCW and they were unable to. WCW was tarnished at the end. No one wanted it. However I can see your point now.

They never put a Vince McMahon type guy in charge of WCW. Lance Storm even said that he still does not know who exactly his boss was. A large portion of the roster had no reason to care. No one really ever got punished. They pretty much let the inmates run the asylum. While some can say it's not always a good thing that Vince micromanages everything, at least it's clear that he is the boss. He is able to keep WWE on a clear course. WCW never really had that.
i dont know if Bischoff had enough time to try to find another channel at that point....from what i read, tnt agreed to some deal with having WCW on their station, but backed out at the last minute or something and that blew the deal up. as for WWE, i think if WWE wanted to seriously try to put WCW on tv, they could've tried it with UPN (and call it WCW Smackdown), but my guess is that Vince basically gave up on it when Buff Bagwell had his match with Booker T.
As for the lack of a boss, yeah, that's exactly why i think WCW died. the lack of a "this guy is in charge" is what really hurt WCW. you didnt know who ran the company and that occured mainly when Bischoff started losing his power that he had in the company and then it just got worse....WCW had Russo and Bischoff work together, but the issue there was if they disagreed on ideas, who wins with their idea??? WCW had a major lack of a boss and like you said, people may not like Vince having "the" power, but at least they know who is in charge.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:34 AM
Knockout Champion

WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...

David Arquette I can forgive a little because he ended up giving his earnings from WCW to the Hart Family and Droz plus he had only had the WCW Title for 2 weeks anyway.

I think Vince Russo winning it from Booker T who they were at least trying to establish was far worse. No idea what the end game was with that.

WWF/E & Wrestling Fan since 1990!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

Well, WCW lost Bret Hart in early 2000. That was a big issue. Bret should not have been booked with a concussion - it ended his career. Moreover, the Millionaires Club vs New Blood was a bomb. They had 2 factions; 1 nobody cared about anymore, and the other nobody was going to ever care about as the whole thing was poorly booked. Don't forget, the stupidity of Goldberg being booked to punch a window through - so this meant Goldberg was gone for the first half of 2000. Look at how Nash was booked in 2000- and many of you would have not remembered because he had not been over for about 2 years. As alluded to here by the original poster, the BATB 2000 was tragic and disgustingly booked. No matter what anyone thought of Hogan in WCW at the time, he was the only one who was remotely over that was on the roster. The jobbing him out to that no talent loser Jeff Jarrett was the final nail in WCW. Scott Hall got effectively sacked by WCW in February 2000 for a disagreement with the President of TNT's niece or something - so he was out of there too.

But the reality really is - Bischoff only ever had 2 achievements in WCW, the NWO which was NJPW vs. UWFi rehashed, but it was huge. Then there was the epic rise of Goldberg whose streak was the hottest thing in WCW between 1998 and its demise. And Russo was never going to do much for WCW. When you mix all of the above, the lawyers in WCW and other Execs at TNT wanting WCW to fail, and consider how on fire WWF was at the time- no wonder WCW died a death.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 AM

brahuma_bull is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Vince Russo

Yo RockisWWF an opinion is an opinion so if it's my opinion don't tell me I'm wrong! Vince winning the title at the RR was to screw Austin may want to go rewatch that. I stand by if Russo had time to develop storylines and not having to fast track everything for ratings that WCW would of had a chance to recover. Currently WWE fast tracks things i.e Joe vs Lesnar was a fast track as was AJ vs Owens and the belt swapping. Russo had some bad stories no doubt but all companies have..Katie Vick where you at? My point is Russo was only in charge for 3 MONTHS! The ratings when he started was 2.6 when he left it was 3.5 so for the job he was paid to come do he did it which was increase the ratings. When he came back with Bischoff he wasn't in charge and if not hot shotted the New Blood storyline could of worked out well as all wrestling fans love invasion style angles it's well known. NWO was the greatest storyline ever and payoff of Sting winning the belt the lead up was outstanding the match was awful and that moment IMO started the downfall of WCW.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:49 PM
The voice of Michael Cole's headset
WWE Diva's Champion

therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahuma_bull View Post
Yo RockisWWF an opinion is an opinion so if it's my opinion don't tell me I'm wrong!
Twas a joke. Though seriously, Russo was awful.

Quote:
Vince winning the title at the RR was to screw Austin may want to go rewatch that.
Well that is wrong. Vince didn't win the title at RR. He won it on a SD against HHH.

Quote:
I stand by if Russo had time to develop storylines and not having to fast track everything for ratings that WCW would of had a chance to recover. Currently WWE fast tracks things i.e Joe vs Lesnar was a fast track as was AJ vs Owens and the belt swapping. Russo had some bad stories no doubt but all companies have..Katie Vick where you at? My point is Russo was only in charge for 3 MONTHS! The ratings when he started was 2.6 when he left it was 3.5 so for the job he was paid to come do he did it which was increase the ratings.
This ignores A LOT of things. Mainly, a drop from 3 hours to 2. Also ignores only one episode had ratings go up after the first hour of the show in his first run. All others had huge drops in ratings. That is a problem.

Russo doesn't get a pass because he didn't do Katie Vick. He did bury people in deserts. Miscarriage angles (twice for some reason). Incest angles. Domestic abuse angles (on shows where women got beat up constantly and for some reason, only cared if a Headbanger did it). Insider shit. Goldberg vs Nash vs Steiner (good lord).

Quote:
When he came back with Bischoff he wasn't in charge and if not hot shotted the New Blood storyline could of worked out well as all wrestling fans love invasion style angles it's well known. NWO was the greatest storyline ever and payoff of Sting winning the belt the lead up was outstanding the match was awful and that moment IMO started the downfall of WCW.
Austin vs McMahon would like a talk about the greatest storyline ever. Russo loves stable wars. He made THE ENTIRE FREAKING SHOW about that stupid NB/MC storyline. Way too much. He also made the young guys the heels. That was backwards. Russo never lets moments land. Swerves everywhere. He also booked himself as a super MANLY MAN.
Rock: IT DOESN'T MATTER
Old 08-07-2017, 07:48 PM

GhettoV1 is looking to come up from OCW...

Also in June 2000 WCW aired the last episode of Saturday Night and moved it to Saturday Mornings where by the end of August it was cancelled.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...

I think most of us can agree that wcw in 2000 sucked, but since wwe bought wcw in 2001, they've had some bad years that were just as bad if not worse than wcw was in 2000(ie 2003, 2006, and 2009). WWE was just luckier.