WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 07-27-2017, 02:29 PM
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion

SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom
Default Enter Vince Russo: WCW Fights For Every Breath

It's late 1999 and at this point the WWF is far and away better and ahead of the WCW. Even though WCW had made some very huge very unforgivable mistakes, they were still a huge wrestling company at this time and they were still pulling ratings anywhere from 3.5 to 5.0. So there was still something there that fans wanted to see. There were still characters and performers that fans cared about and wanted to see on a weekly basis. Eric Bischoff is out at this point so all WCW needed was someone that could stop the ship from sinking and get it back to shore with as little casualties as possible. Enter Vince Russo........

On October 5, 1999 both Ed Ferrara and Vince Russo signed with WCW. Top Turner officials thought at the time that they had just gotten the goose that was laying all of McMahon's golden eggs and why not think that? Russo was the head writer for the WWF before he signed with WCW and many of the WWF's major/successful storylines were his ideas. Also, Russo wasn't shy about telling anyone who would listen that Austin, DX, the Rock, 'Taker and Kane, and all of the Attitude Era stuff were all his ideas. He came up with it all and he would do the same for WCW. Let's be honest with ourselves, we're heading WCW and we're not doing great at all. Then, all of sudden, we get the guy who was, basically, Vince's idea machine willing to come over and do the same for us that he had done with the WWF. You, me, and everyone else in that position would sign Russo as well. So, really, Idk if WCW can be blamed for signing Russo. What they can be blamed for is after a few months of continuing to drop in the ratings, losing money, and horrible horrible storylines; not kicking Russo to the curve. See, Vince Russo truly did have some great ideas, however, he more often had very very bad ideas. What was the difference between Russo in WWF and WCW? In WWF the final say always came down to Vince McMahon. McMahon knew what would work and what wouldn't. So he was there to filter out all of Russo's crap for the good. In WCW, though, Russo ran wild. He had his own creative control and could make the final decisions. I'm sure everyone seen the difference.

In WCW, without McMahon to filter through the garbage, all of Russo's ideas made it on the show. Stuff like Ed Ferrara as Oklahoma, a J.R. imitation. Turning Goldberg heel for a brief period. Himself as World Champion. Re-creating the Montreal Screwjob. Having Jeff Jarrett lay down for Hulk Hogan. Singing groups. Pole matches. David Flair marrying Stacy Kiebler. Also, let's not forget the infamous, David Arquette winning the World Championship. Russo's ideas took WCW from worse to even worse. I'm going to talk about this at length when I get to this topic, but do you people who believe that the AOL/Time Warner merger is what killed WCW really think that if WCW was still making 150 million a year that they would've still wanted to get rid of it? Use your brains people.

What's the worse thing that you remember about Russo in WCW? What are some of his 'ideas' that I missed? What do you think was his all time worse idea? Let me know your opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.

Last edited by SSJPhenom : 07-27-2017 at 02:34 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:47 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

I've been enjoying your posts on this period in WCW. I have had the Network since Mania and, aside from re-watching Season 1 of Tough Enough, I have been watching mostly 80s and early 90s WWF.

These posts remind me how much I enjoyed the Monday Night Wars. My question is...where would you (and other posters) suggest I start watching from? I watched back then, but my timeline memories are really 86-maybe 94 WWF. Later WWF and all of WCW, for the most part is a big jumble in my mind.

I feel like a kid in a candy store with the Network--I don't know where to begin. I would rather not sit through the less eventful beginnings, or lulls, of the MNW. So, what period would you suggest? Regarding WCW, I am thinking '96 with Hall showing up on Nitro, but I don't know if I want to go that far back with WWF. Didn't it take them a while to get their footing? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Good stuff...thanks!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:57 PM
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion

SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom

If you're interested in Nitro, I would start with the shows that took place a couple of weeks before Bash at the Beach 96. Watch those to the end of the year and pretty much anything in 97 was good. Honestly, a lot of 98 was also good, but they definitely started to slip in 98.

As for Raw, I'd start with the Raw after Badd Blood 97 when Kane first came in. From that point all the way through 01, Raw was must see TV. That's my opinion anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:29 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJPhenom View Post
I'm going to talk about this at length when I get to this topic, but do you people who believe that the AOL/Time Warner merger is what killed WCW really think that if WCW was still making 150 million a year that they would've still wanted to get rid of it? Use your brains people.

What's the worse thing that you remember about Russo in WCW? What are some of his 'ideas' that I missed? What do you think was his all time worse idea? Let me know your opinions.
Firstly, if someone would to ask Eric Bischoff the question you did about AOL/Time Warner, Bischoff would answer, yes because the guys openly admitted that they didnt get it or understand it and didnt want to be known as the wrestling channel...admittedly though losing money did help AOL/Time Warner's decision, but even Bischoff said in a JBL interview that they didnt want WCW.

Now to the real reason i came to this post....Russo, Russo, Russo. you asked what 's the worse thing i remember about Russo...DO i have to name JUST ONE!!?? he's had SO much bad ideas, Bischoff didnt have the best ideas either, but at least he didnt put himself over as much as Russo did....in fact THAT is Russo's worst idea...putting himself over, if i had to guess Vince Russo's win/loss record in WCW, it would be 5 and 0, he beat Ric Flair at least twice, he beat Booker T and i'm sure (if there's other matches) he's won them too!!! i've never seen Russo lose in a match and if he did it was part of a plan (see the Triple Cage).

With that said, Russo had lots of bad ideas, from the world championship changing hands, to actually THINKING about putting the title on Tank Abbott!! uh, you have Benoit, give HIM the title. or giving the belt to himself or a skinny actor who's best known as Deputy Dewey. his other BAD ideas were his constant mocking or re-using WWE stories or gimmicks (See Oklahoma vs. Madusa or Oklahoma himself or Screwjob). Sure Russo had good ideas (i actually liked 3 Count and Screamin' Norman), but his bad ideas outweigh his good ones.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...

WCW was in bad shape before Russo came in. After he came in, he made things worse. He will tell you that ratings went up after he came in. He brags because the week before he started with wcw nitro did like a 2.6 and on his first episode a week later it went to a 3.3. It stayed around that number until he left in January. They never got a 4.0 rating under his care. Let's be honest though. After he left in January, ratings went down because it was just flat out boring. Not even a watchable train wreck. Will you talk about that SSJPhenom. The period between January 16 and April 10? IMO Kevin Sullivan didn't do a good job repairing Russo's damage.

A lot of people say that giving the world title to Arrquette was bad and it was, but almost as bad was giving that fat slob non-wrestler Ed Ferrara the cruiserwieght title! I didn't mind Madusa holding it, but why lose to that fatso? That was a middle finger to the smart fans who like cruiserweight matches. I'm surprised not many people mention that as one of Russo's terrible ideas. Thing is, to Vince titles mean nothing. They are just props and wrestling is fake so "nobody really wins them". That's why there were so many senseless title changes under his reign of terror
Old 07-27-2017, 04:37 PM
WWE Women's Champion

Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
In WCW, without McMahon to filter through the garbage, all of Russo's ideas made it on the show.
Think Jericho said that line in "Rise and Fall of WCW" documentary. Dont think its that true because both sides had so much rubish at both sides that with or without Mcmahon control stuff would be the same. WWE was ahead and basically already won war so dont think it matters that much. They just continued downfall from before.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:18 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

WCW wasn't doing great before Russo came in, but it took a nosedive after he did. To this day, Russo claims to be some sort of genius but I always thought his time in WCW and TNA showed that wasn't the case whatsoever. He may have worked with people, at times, who were geniuses in the business but I never saw that out of him.

Lousy angles, meaningless title reigns, title changes more frequent than even those in WWE at the time, making a C list celebrity the WCW World Heavyweight Champion for roughly 2 weeks, booking himself to win the championship only to throw the belt down in the middle of the ring the next week saying he wasn't a wrestler, the list goes on really but the quality of WCW hit an all time low when Russo took charge.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 07-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Knockout Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

In Russo's defense Arquette winning the world title was apparently Tony Schiavone's idea which got signed off by Eric Bischoff, Some of his better ideas though was Booker T's push to winning the world title and the New blood factions feud with the millionaires club so at least he was trying but I do agree with Russo being at his best when he had someone like Vince Mcmahon there to filter out all the bad ideas.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:28 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

In my opinion this is where WCW really went off the rails. It was literally unwatchable. We all know Russo was not a fan of in-ring wrestling. He (and his ideas) had to be the focal point of the show hence the unlimited scripted promos and the five minute matches usually with some stupid gimmick attached. The in your face, gratuitous strip club style T and A was off the charts. There were some good ideas mixed in there but for the most part they were juvenile. Even early-90's WWF seemed more adult in terms of just the quality of storyline.

Probably the worst thing about Russo's reign is putting the NWO back together. How unoriginal. This time with Bret Hart and Jeff Jarrett. That lasted less than month. The Bash at the Beach incident with Hogan was another one. All the "worked shoot" style stuff was garbage. The majority of fans didn't understand all the bullshit "smark" stuff going on on the Internet Russo was pandering too. It was just garbage. This is when I considered WCW truly dead. When they started going away from true wrestling which was there calling card and doing a piss poor imitation of the WWF.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:31 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Some of his better ideas though was Booker T's push to winning the world title and the New blood factions feud with the millionaires club so at least he was trying but I do agree with Russo being at his best when he had someone like Vince Mcmahon there to filter out all the bad ideas.
That wasn't Russo's idea. He was forced to put the title on Booker T. Russo wanted Jarrett.