WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...
Default SmackDown Live 8-1-17: John Cena VS Shinsuke Nakamura

In something of a blockbuster announcement from SmackDown GM Daniel Bryan, John Cena and Shinsuke Nakamura will face off for the first time ever on next week's show. The winner of said match will then go on to SummerSlam to face Jinder Mahal for the WWE Championship.

Now before anyone loses their minds, I think it's important to be cautious and keep expectations relatively low. There are different directions they could go here and some of them aren't going to please a lot of net fans.

One direction would include Baron Corbin interfering in this match that results in Nakamura flat out losing or in a no contest. The most likely options in such a case is a triple threat match with Corbin, Cena and Nakamura to decide the challenger two weeks from tonight on SmackDown Live. The other likely scenario in this case involves Cena and Nakamura challenging Jinder at SummerSlam in a triple threat match.

One direction they could go is simply having Cena hand Nakamura his first singles loss in WWE. Given that it's the first time ever and Cena being "Big Match John", it's entirely possible that this happens. If it does, prepare yourself for the internet to blow up with declarations of WWE burying Nakamura, declarations urging people to cancel WWE Network subscriptions and/or just a shitstorm of animosity towards WWE.

One direction they could go is having Nakamura, who's the underdog here no matter which way you slice it, defeat John Cena to become the #1 contender for the WWE Championship. It seems unlikely on the surface when you think back over Cena's career and just how much of a force he is in WWE. However, it's not really all that unlikely, especially if you compare Cena over the last 15 months or so with just a few years back when Cena almost never lost period. Over the course of the last year or so, we've seen John Cena lose cleanly to AJ Styles, Dean Ambrose and Bray Wyatt on ppvs and television so the notion of Nakamura beating Cena in their first match ever, especially when you think about Cena's classic program with Kevin Owens a few years ago, really isn't all that unlikely.

But yeah this, plus Styles vs. Owens for the US title next week, is a strong hook for next week's show.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:34 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

GOOZEKING is looking to come up from OCW...GOOZEKING is looking to come up from OCW...GOOZEKING is looking to come up from OCW...GOOZEKING is looking to come up from OCW...GOOZEKING is looking to come up from OCW...

Nakamura vs Cena for free on tv...I don't know what's worse the fact that we are getting it for free or that Nakamura will suffer his first loss next week on a random smackdown.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:52 AM
WZCW's Tony Mancini & Milenko
WWE European Champion

Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank N Steins_Gate

Vince can not be stuipid enough to actually give this WrestleMania main event worthy match away for free.

I see Corbin getting involved or something happening to keep this from match from taking place.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:06 AM
Reaper of Miracles
World Heavyweight Champion

Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Bernkastel

If WWE is smart, then this match will go to a no contest. This match should be main-eventing a PPV, not some random TV program. SD next week might see a slight jump in viewership, and maybe that's WWE's logic here. As that could be their gauge in determining the interest in a future program between the two. But a clean win on either man in a match with zero build or real hype will surely kill any interest in a rematch down the road.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:51 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank N Steins_Gate View Post
Vince can not be stuipid enough to actually give this WrestleMania main event worthy match away for free.
My pet peeve actually. We've seen so many PPV quality matches given away on free TV.

Reigns vs. Joe, AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton, Chris Jericho vs. AJ Styles, etc.

Sometimes I wonder what's the point of these PPV/Specials if matches are being given away for free?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:04 AM
Sufferin' Succotash.

Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...Snugglebites worked a dark match on ECW recently...

This "giving it away on free TV" complaint has always amused me. Raw & SmackDown used to constantly have big matches between the likes of Austin/Angle/BigShow/HHH/Rock/Kane/Undertaker/Jericho/Cena/Lesnar/Orton all the time. I never heard anybody complaining back then.

Let's just be happy and enjoy this.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:29 AM
Million Dollar Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

This is a wwe network special level main event so I'm guessing that they need the match to increase the ratings for smackdown.

Having said that, It makes sense t have your 2 biggest star face each other on smackdown if you wanted to get peoples to watch. I feel that this won't have a clean ending, I don't know who's going to be screwed over in that match but I can see baron corbin being the one interfering in the match.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 AM

TheWizard is looking to come up from OCW...

I think there is a few reasons why they are doing this. First being they want a ratings boost for Smackdown and the other is they want to get the match with Nakamura in before Cena steps away which is seemingly close on the horizon.

I'm all for it even though it's easily a WM caliber match. What will annoy me is if Cena wins the title just to win 17 and then lose instantly to Corbin. He should put Jinder over.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:46 AM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebites View Post
This "giving it away on free TV" complaint has always amused me. Raw & SmackDown used to constantly have big matches between the likes of Austin/Angle/BigShow/HHH/Rock/Kane/Undertaker/Jericho/Cena/Lesnar/Orton all the time. I never heard anybody complaining back then.

Let's just be happy and enjoy this.
I can see both sides of the issue but generally speaking, yeah that's pretty much how I feel. And yeah, there have been PLENTY of big matches that've been shown on TV rather than just for ppvs. Granted, most of them haven't been "first time ever" meetings between two top guys, but they've still been big matches, some of them all time classics. Off the top of my head, for instance, the Iron Man matches of Lesnar vs. Angle, Benoit vs. Triple H and Angle vs. HBK that took place on either Raw or SmackDown. April 23rd of this year marked 10 years since Cena vs. HBK on Raw went more than hour. Take a look at all the ladder matches like Rock vs. Mankind, Hardy Boyz vs. Edge & Christian, RVD vs. Jeff Hardy, Taker vs. Jeff Hardy, RVD vs. Christian, Edge vs. Matt Hardy in a "Loser leaves Raw" ladder match that all happened on Raw, not to mention the 2nd women's MITB ladder match on SmackDown Live a few weeks back. Not to mention all the various street fight/no holds barred/no DQ matches, cage matches, even a couple of HIAC matches back in the late 90s all for free on TV.

Hell, without some marquee matches to take place on TV, there'd be the complaints and general bitching about a lack of good matches.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

neildittmar is looking to come up from OCW...neildittmar is looking to come up from OCW...neildittmar is looking to come up from OCW...neildittmar is looking to come up from OCW...neildittmar is looking to come up from OCW...

Cena vs. Nakamura...

I suppose the first question I ask myself is, what is the length of this feud most likely? Given that it has been advertised as a "dream match" of sorts, and that the winner goes on to face Mahal for the title, I'm guessing it's a one off.

So if it's a "one and done" (at least for now) then who wins? Well, the victor will be facing off against the WWE Champion at SummerSlam, which has been positioned for awhile now as the #2 PPV right behind WrestleMania. Despite Smackdown being the so called "land of opportunity", what main event match sounds better on the marquee... Cena vs. Mahal or Nakamura vs. Mahal? Given that WWE has borrowed Hulk Hogan's "Real American" gimmick and appropriated it onto Cena as of late, and that Mahal is playing the anti-American gimmick to a tee, there is literally no other choice (barring some odd swerve) than for Cena to go over and get the title match at SummerSlam.

As for the match itself, I think the scenario will effectively be like most of Bray Wyatt's matches against Cena from years past. Nakamura will be permitted to make a good account of himself, but "Big Match John" will come shining through and effectively eek out a victory at the very end. We could get some Baron Corbin interference as a distraction, but I'm nearly certain that Cena's win against Nakamura will be decisive.