WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE Pay Per Views
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...
Default WWE SummerSlam: WWE Championship - Jinder Mahal (c) VS Shinsuke Nakamura

Minutes ago, Shinsuke Nakamura defeated John Cena on SmackDown Live for an opportunity at the WWE Championship at SummerSlam.

Cena took a really nasty bump near the end of the match as Nakamura was going for the reverse exploding suplex but Cena didn't flip over and came down right on the back of his head and neck. Afterward, Nakamura hit the Kinshasa knee strike for the clean win.

My gut tells me that Nakamura becomes the first Japanese born WWE Champion at SummerSlam only to drop the title seconds or minutes later due to Baron Corbin cashing in his MITB briefcase. Either that, or Jinder retains due to outside interference from the Singh Brothers and/or Baron Corbin. It's always possible that Nakamura walks out of SummerSlam as champion, but I think either of the two scenarios I mentioned is much more likely.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

On the one hand I'm happy two non Americans are fighting for the WWE Championship.
On the other hand I'm not because the US Championship holds more star power as of now and feels bigger than the WWE title.

Also Nakamura definately isn't on championship level yet but if Jinder can be the champ then anyone can right?
Old 08-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Gribble me this, Gribble me that...
WWE Diva's Champion

The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...

I love the fact that Shinsuke is going to challenge but I have three fears for this match.

1. If Jinder loses, then his Championship run has probably been a failure. If you are going the cowardly heel route I.E. JBL, I believe only a long run sets you up. It makes you look like your conniving and cheating makes you a legit threat to anyone and I don't think Jinder is there yet.

2. Shinsuke wins, and Corbin cashes in. I don't think Corbin is there yet. I don't really even think Shinsuke is there yet.

3. Shinsuke loses, and then why put him in the match in the first place.

So while I love the new blood in the match, I fear that there aren't all that many positive outcomes that can come out of it. Unless Shinsuke wins and goes on a tear.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:35 AM
ROH Pure Champion

d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

So, Shinsuke Nakamura beat Cena, and now he will face Jinder Mahal at "Summerslam".

You know, once upon a time, "Summerslam" was looked at as the second-biggest show of the year. I thought of it as "Wrestlemania's little brother".

It used to be a show where you would have major matches, that were too big for ordinary PPVs, but were too big to carry until Wrestlemania.

But now, this year, it looks like Summerslam will be a mere "B" show.

Really? Shinsuke v Mahal? One guy who has been on the main roster for a couple of months challenging against a guy who was irelevant, and only got the belt in a cynical exercise so that WWE could tap into the 1 billion people living in India. Neither are deserving of a push yet.

This however shows the hypocrisy in many of you.

You complained when Cena got pushed too soon. You complained when Roman got pushed too soon, yet I bet you don't complain when Nakamura gets a main event spot so soon, just like when you didn't complain when Finn Balor got a WWE Universal Title shot at last year's "Summerslam", on his first night on RAW.

Cena v Mahal looks like a "Summerslam" match. It isn't quite "Wrestlemania" levels, but it is the current champion versus a guy who has carried the company for the last fifteen years. Mahal needs top guys to make him look relevant. If he beats Nakamura at "Summerslam", it means little, because he beat someone in the main event too soon. If Nakamura wins, he only beat Jinder Mahal, a guy who got eliminated from the pre-Wrestlemania battle royal by a football player. This is more a match you would open with on a "Smackdown" PPV with the U.S. belt on the line, not a main event on the second most important card of the year with the WWE belt on the line.

I fear that this is what will happen when Triple H finally takes over- "flavors of the month" will win the company's most important belt too soon, only to get injured or go down the card, when they are shown up as not being able to hang on the levels of John Cena or Randy Orton.

Why even have Cena challenge, if he is not going to win? Why not just have Nakamura challenge, or win a qualifying match?

I mean, Nakamura can barely speak English, yet he is meant to be our great hope.

With Naomi v Natalya as a Women's Title match, and this as the men's, it seems obvious to me that WWE have put little effort into Summerslam this year, and its relevance diminishes by the year. At least two years ago, having Brock v Undertaker made "Summerslam" a big deal. But we are a long way away from times like that, when the established stars main evented, and newcomers only main evented after two or three years climbing the ladder. It took Austin and the Rock a while to main event, and when they did, they were "ready" and became big stars. They weren't rushed. I doubt Nakamura or Mahal will ever be spoken about in the same breath as Austin, the Rock, HBK, Bret Hart or most of the others who "cut their teeth" first, and went onto be HoFers and Legends. There's no chance of that with Smackdown's contribution to "Summerslam".
Old 08-02-2017, 03:39 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
My gut tells me that Nakamura becomes the first Japanese born WWE Champion at SummerSlam only to drop the title seconds or minutes later due to Baron Corbin cashing in his MITB briefcase. Either that, or Jinder retains due to outside interference from the Singh Brothers and/or Baron Corbin. It's always possible that Nakamura walks out of SummerSlam as champion, but I think either of the two scenarios I mentioned is much more likely.
This is my biggest fear actually. WWE right now so needs a moment and having it taken away might not be the best idea.

As much as I don't like Mahal as champion, I'd rather see him retain the title at this point and given the circumstances.

I'd rather see Nakamura win the title by beating folks like Cena, Orton, Styles, or even Owens. Guys who have a more credibility and it makes the win so much bigger.

Remember part of the reason why fans turned on Cena when he won the title was that he beat a weak champion (JBL).

Also I'd don't want to see a cash in right after cutting Nakamura's reign short.

Also if the reason why the WWE put the title on Mahal is for the India market, I don't see Mahal dropping the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_henderson1810 View Post
So, Shinsuke Nakamura beat Cena, and now he will face Jinder Mahal at "Summerslam".

You know, once upon a time, "Summerslam" was looked at as the second-biggest show of the year. I thought of it as "Wrestlemania's little brother".

It used to be a show where you would have major matches, that were too big for ordinary PPVs, but were too big to carry until Wrestlemania.

But now, this year, it looks like Summerslam will be a mere "B" show.

Really? Shinsuke v Mahal? One guy who has been on the main roster for a couple of months challenging against a guy who was irelevant, and only got the belt in a cynical exercise so that WWE could tap into the 1 billion people living in India. Neither are deserving of a push yet.
Nakamura in the title picture is fine because he has been with the company for over a year and has also beaten Samoa Joe (who is also in the title picture on RAW). He shouldn't be winning it but seeing him as a #1 contender does generate interest.

Mahal is the problem you don't go from jobber to Champion in a blink in an eye.

Last edited by shooter_mcgavin : 08-02-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:05 AM
I Am Jericho
WWE Diva's Champion

The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...

There is surely only one way that this ends, right? Forgetting what might happen afterwards, Shinsuke absolutely has to become champion. I think it's far too early and random and defeating Jinder Mahal to do it would be anticlimactic to say the least, but with reports that the company are not happy with the way the Mahal reign has gone, the general lack of reaction to Mahal, and the popularity of Nakamura, I'd say it's time to end this experiment. It hasn't worked, so move along. Of course, there is every chance that Mahal does successfully retain the title, but does anyone actually want to see that now? I defended the decision to put the title on him until we saw how it played out. And now it has played out, it's definitely not working. The biggest reality though is that if we are expected to believe that Nakamura can defeat John Cena, he can wipe the floor with Mahal. Nakamura also has his first major win under his belt too, which benefits his chances of winning at SummerSlam. If Nakamura is booked to win this, I can see this match only lasting seven or eight minutes quite honestly.

Now, if Nakamura does win this, the chances of Corbin cashing in are high. But it is far too early. It might be early for Nakamura, but we know he has the backing and the skills to maintain a main event standard sooner rather than later. Corbin, in my opinion, still needs some more exposure and general work before he is ready. Let Nakamura have his moment at SummerSlam if that is what is to happen, and let Corbin cash in at the next SmackDown pay-per-view if they are that desperate. Fake it at SummerSlam if necessary. Honestly, I don't want to see him cash in until after WrestleMania. Let him wait, build and grow first. Let us have Nakamura as champion and hopefully that rumoured WWE Championship match at WrestleMania 34 perhaps.

How in time we have gone from Bret Hart vs. The British Bulldog to Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, I don't know.

Last edited by The Perfect Max : 08-02-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:39 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

I'm bored of Jinder's headline run. He hasn't grown into the role at all. That said, he'll get nuclear heat of he's the man to give Nakamura his first pinfall loss on the main roster. That outcome is just the most appealing to me. And I think that now they've gone with him as champion they should really go with it and have him hold until Mania.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:26 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
I'm bored of Jinder's headline run. He hasn't grown into the role at all. That said, he'll get nuclear heat of he's the man to give Nakamura his first pinfall loss on the main roster. That outcome is just the most appealing to me. And I think that now they've gone with him as champion they should really go with it and have him hold until Mania.
I think it was Bryan Alvarez that ranted recently that WWE writers would write things to get the heels heat instead of writing things to get the babyfaces over. So you might be right about that. Still a crappy decision if it happens though.

I'd rather see a DQ Finish then maybe continuing the feud in a three way where someone else other than Nakamura takes the fall.

Like I said I am not a fan of Mahal as Champion but I'd rather have someone more established take the title so if someone like Nakamura wins it, it would mean more.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:27 AM
ROH Pure Champion

d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter_mcgavin View Post
This is my biggest fear actually. WWE right now so needs a moment and having it taken away might not be the best idea.

As much as I don't like Mahal as champion, I'd rather see him retain the title at this point and given the circumstances.

I'd rather see Nakamura win the title by beating folks like Cena, Orton, Styles, or even Owens. Guys who have a more credibility and it makes the win so much bigger.

Remember part of the reason why fans turned on Cena when he won the title was that he beat a weak champion (JBL).

Also I'd don't want to see a cash in right after cutting Nakamura's reign short.

Also if the reason why the WWE put the title on Mahal is for the India market, I don't see Mahal dropping the title.

Nakamura in the title picture is fine because he has been with the company for over a year and has also beaten Samoa Joe (who is also in the title picture on RAW). He shouldn't be winning it but seeing him as a #1 contender does generate interest.

Mahal is the problem you don't go from jobber to Champion in a blink in an eye.
I hate to point this out to you, but I don't see being on NXT as "being around for a year and beating Samoa Joe".

Do you know what the figures for NXT are? Everyone complains about RAW's ratings, but I bet more watch RAW and Smackdown than NXT.

NXT has more of a "ECW" cult feel to it, where diehards follow it. But I would argue that many fans (myself included) who don't watch as much don't see these guys as "being around for a year".

NXT is really just a televised developmental league. It isn't "the big time". Everyone's goal in NXT should be to progress to the main roster.

Look, what people here have to realise is, that shows like Summerslam aren't just about what you want. It, like Wrestlemania, is about drawing mainstream attention and getting the casual fan on board as well. Cena being in the title picture will do that, because he is more a mainstream star, and has been on TV and movies. People outside of wrestling have heard of "John Cena". They haven't heard of Shinsuke Nakamura. He is mainly known by those who follow wrestling in Japan and NXT. So, the casual fan won't buy Nakamura v Mahal, and, ultimately, WWE is about making money, and getting as many people on board as possible, including those who don't know Nakamura nor thinks that the sun shines out of his anus. Nakamura may be the fans' choice, and a better worker, but Cena sells, and selling your product is ultimately what counts.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:33 AM
ROH Pure Champion

Everyone is happy that Nakamura beat Cena for a title shot.

But wouldn't it mean more if Cena beat Mahal at "Summerslam", and then, down the track, Nakamura beat Cena for the belt, where he beats a top star, and give him more "legitimacy".

Having Nakamura beat someone like Jinder Mahal for the title before he is ready is more a "feel-good" moment to appease fans, a case of the tail wagging the dog, than long-term planning where Nakamura's first title win would mean more because he beat someone legit for it, rather than a placeholder like Mahal is.