WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE Pay Per Views
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 07-13-2017, 10:08 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Does the Rumble need a new stipulation?

I have always enjoyed the Royal Rumble. I remember looking for something to watch and how happy I was when I stumbled upon the last few entrants of the inaugural Rumble on USA Network in '88. That was followed by a 30-man Rumble where Ax and Smash drew 1 and 2 and needed to fight it out in this "every man for himself" battle. Shortly after came Flair's title win in '92, with arguably the greatest Rumble roster of all time. After that, the winner was awarded a shot at the title at WrestleMania.

From the original Rumble to the time my interest in wrestling started to fade in the early-mid 90s, through the years I got back into it during the Monday Night Wars and the fading interest that returned after 2003 or so, up to today, I have almost always watched the Rumble. I always enjoyed battle royals growing up and the unique format of the Rumble was interesting to me for a long time. There were many years where I knew who was going to win, but still enjoyed it for different reasons. Triple H was going to win in 2002, but Maven eliminating Taker (and that subsequent beating) and Mr. Perfect's return were cool moments. Then there were years where you knew MAYBE 4 out of the 30 participants had a chance to win, but there were still fun moments. The Warrior/Hogan standoff in 1990, Too Cool's dance during the 2000 Rumble, the way Punk was used during the 40-man Rumble, various surprise entrants and returns. Each time the clock ticked toward zero, there was a feeling of "maybe this will be a good moment" even when the winner was so predictable. Sometimes you got a dud entrant, but sometimes something like the Honky Tonk Man's music hitting, only to be nailed with a guitar by Kane, was enough to entertain me.

But, lately, those moments have gone away and it has been more of a formality to get to the very few possible winners. Like I said, there have always only been a few possible winners, but it seemed to have been handled better in the past. And not just the long ago past where I believed in kayfabe and didn't know as much as I do now. I am talking about a more recent time, where WWE seems to have a "we know what's happening, they know what's happening, just go out and do it" approach. Now, I hope I am wrong and that kids today are enjoying it as much as I did back then. If that is the case, great! But, it seems to need a refresh, in my opinion.

What is a stipulation that could open the door to more possibilities with both how the match is run and who the winner may be? I don't necessarily need each and every participant to have a legit shot at being the winner. There will probably always be "3...2...1...HONK <Enter guy with lukewarm reaction and no chance of winning>". And that's ok. 30 is a lot of people. But certainly we can get maybe half of the entrants to be reasonable contenders, can't we?

I would usually get the ball rolling with an idea of my own, but I don't have one. I am hoping to hear some good ones. To be honest, I think the entering women in the same Rumble as the men idea, that I have seen here a few times, is preposterous. If you want a women's Rumble, go for it. Throw in some past Divas and some high spots, along with these legit women athletes, and I can find entertainment in that. But, for the main Rumble, what can be done to spice things up? I think the title match stipulation needs to be replaced...but by what?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Natural 20 G-Mod
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias

I don't think that the Royal Rumble really needs a new stipulation. As the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The format has worked very well for so many years now. Now that there are two World Championships again they would not be able to do the Rumble for the World Heavyweight Championship since there is also a Universal Champion out there. The winner should be able to declare his choice of challenging either the World Heavyweight Champion or the Universal Champion at Wrestlemania. Perfectly fine. It worked great in the past and needs no major changes at this time.

What I want to see added is a Women's Royal Rumble. The winner of that would then get a similar shot, at either the Raw Women's Championship or the Smackdown Women's Championship at Wrestlemania. They would have to allow the NXT girls entry if they want to do a full 30, and could even invite legends/alumni to participate. I'd love to see that finally happen. It should have happened last year and really should happen this coming Rumble.

"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
Dagger is the John Cena of this site.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:37 AM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post
What I want to see added is a Women's Royal Rumble. The winner of that would then get a similar shot, at either the Raw Women's Championship or the Smackdown Women's Championship. They would have to allow the NXT girls entry if they want to do a full 30, and could even invite legends/alumni to participate. I'd love to see that finally happen. It should have happened last year and really should happen this coming Rumble.
Allegedly, there are serious talks of making it happen for next year's Royal Rumble. I remember reading a report a few weeks ago, though there weren't many details given in the report, that it's one of the plans being discussed.

There are currently 15 women on the main roster who're active and there are around 10 who currently appear on NXT. On top of that, you have some female wrestlers who're signed to NXT who currently work house shows only, some new talent like Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo have been signed, Hojo will be in the Mae Young Classic as are some other signees and there may be others signed before it's all said and done. So all in all, by the time January rolls around, WWE will be able to field a 30 woman Royal Rumble match if they utilize main and NXT rosters.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 07-13-2017, 02:17 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...

No need for a new stipulation. like a poster above said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and honestly, the Royal Rumble isnt broken.

My ONLY issue with the Royal Rumble is the easy predictions on who'll win it....but what i think WWE should do is not take out (or add in) one more stipulation. it's a stipulation that WWE had years ago (when there were two brands), it's the winner can challenge for any of the two major championships. In other words, i want the winner of the Rumble to challenge for any title they pick, that way in case one is stale on one show, they can move to the other to try to get over......Also add in a Women's Royal Rumble with the SAME stipulation, that way if (for example) Bayley wins, she can move to Smackdown and challenge the champion there.

the stipulation of challenging for the world or universial championship (or in a women's one, a women's championship) should never change. the wrestler's main goal is to be the best, so dont take that opportunity out of equation.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:00 PM
I Am Jericho
WWE Diva's Champion

The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with the majority on this one. There's no need to change anything about the match. The concept is great and when booked appropriately, I think it still is great. I really enjoyed this year's addition, though I have to admit, the Rumble match of the 2010's has been very hit and miss for some reason or another. I think the only thing that needs changing is how it's booked to be honest, but that's subject to change every year of course. And I'm not even talking about the winner. But with the roster that WWE has right now, with the potential of NXT and legend/returning surprise entrants, I think WWE can do a better job at times. Having said that, with a match this big I suppose the opinion is subjective. Some people didn't enjoy this year's Rumble and that's okay I guess.

I must say though, the argument that the Rumble is predictable, especially in recent years, is just not true half the time. Did people really expect a Randy Orton victory in 2017? How many people were convinced of a Daniel Bryan victory in 2014 and 2015? Just because it's not what somebody else wanted does not mean that it's not a good storyline choice. Sure you can be angry, but perhaps that's the point. And even then, if we didn't read these sites, I wonder how much we would be able to predict. Everyone was convinced of a Samoa Joe debut this year and were pissed when he didn't, but who's fault is that? Because nobody gave us any reason to think it would happen but these sites. Ultimately, I think from a purely kayfabe perspective, and if I was still a kid like I was when I began watching this, the Rumble still has the same kind of allure that it always did. I don't know, just thinking out loud... or on a keyboard.

Perhaps a women's Royal Rumble would be fun. If you had a 15-woman event to start the show and then the 30-man classic at the end, with the title matches in between, then that would likely be a very good pay-per-view. With the talent that WWE has in the women's department right now, I would say that it's a viable option for 2018. And it would definitely spice up the event and add some intruige.

Last edited by The Perfect Max : 07-13-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...

I actually want to see WWE attempt a 60 man Royal Rumble personally, it would be nice to see how many people they can get for that and it would really help cement it's position as the most unpredictable match of the year. Think about it, you have 60 people inside the ring; you have some surprise guests involved, maybe a few NXT guys and a couple of undercarders and cruiserweights, and then you have the guys who have a legitimate chance to win the whole thing.

It's a pipe-dream, true; but I wouldn't mind seeing that happen one day.

#YankeesDodgers2017

Cat of Controversy, Writer of Wrestling
Creator of War Zone
Old 07-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

The Rumble HAS been Broke for years... the whole Mania stip became an albatross round WWE's neck years ago...

It hamstrings Mania booking and frankly is boring, invariably the "shot" has to end up being defended at Elimination Chamber or it ends up a multi man match.

Right now the best thing they could do with The Rumble is something like a choice... Mania Main Event or A Million Dollars for example... Some characters, would want the Mania shot... others might say "I want the Million".

It would free up the Rumble to be won by some others and used as a push tool rather than setting up one match each year.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
The Rumble HAS been Broke for years... the whole Mania stip became an albatross round WWE's neck years ago...

It hamstrings Mania booking and frankly is boring, invariably the "shot" has to end up being defended at Elimination Chamber or it ends up a multi man match.

Right now the best thing they could do with The Rumble is something like a choice... Mania Main Event or A Million Dollars for example... Some characters, would want the Mania shot... others might say "I want the Million".

It would free up the Rumble to be won by some others and used as a push tool rather than setting up one match each year.
I wouldn't say it's an albatross, but I will admit it does get a bit stale after awhile.

I think what they could do to freshen things up is to open up the Mania stip to other titles, like the Intercontinental or the United States title. If they did that, that would open up more possibilities for potential winners and give those who haven't become main eventers a chance to shine for their self. Like, say you have Chad Gable win the Rumble; Shane could give him a choice, you can either challenge for the tag team titles, the United States title or the WWE title. Some people will go for the tag team titles, some will take the secondary title and some will go for the main belt. It opens up the chance for even more options and makes the Royal Rumble even more unpredictable than it ever was before.

#YankeesDodgers2017

Cat of Controversy, Writer of Wrestling
Creator of War Zone
Old 07-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Da Best Sports Entertainer Ever
WWF Hardcore Champion

BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...

Nope. Don't change something just to change it.

The winner of the Rumble challenges for a World Title at WrestleMania.

That has always worked and always will.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:24 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...

The concept is perfect.

The booking for the past few years has been pretty lackluster, and the star powers been pretty empty in some rumbles.

Keep in mind, the Rumble isn't just there to breed a Title match, generally you get 3 or 4+ Wrestlemania Feuds fueled or started by Rumble elims or shenanigans.

The biggest change I would make to the system to improve it, is to not have any PPVs between Rumble and WM, so it means something, but that won't happen with WWE wanting to Oversaturate as hard as possible.