WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 07-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default Mordecai: A Great Gimmick Cut Too Soon

I'm sure some of you are going to be looking at me and asking either

A. Who Mordecai is?
B. Why i'm talking about a cartoon bird being in WWE?
And C. If i'm crazy in any sort of fashion.

But let me explain. Mordecai was a short-lived gimmick that was on SmackDown for a few months before returning back to OVW because of a bar fight he got into. His gimmick was that of a religious crusader bent on ridding the world of sin. Sort of like a reverse Undertaker. He wore all white, he prayed for the crowd's sins, he carried a big cross, he was basically God's messenger come to life.

He would score two wins over Scotty 2 Hotty and Hardcore Holly before losing to Rey Mysterio and even teased a feud with The Undertaker before disappearing all together.

And if I can be honest: I think it's a disappointment that the character didn't last long. I think Mordecai was a fantastic gimmick while it lasted and could've easily been while not the second coming of The Undertaker, at least a solid uppercard foe for wrestlers to overcome. I can already imagine him feuding with the likes of John Cena, Rhyno and Eddie Guerrero, maybe even had a U.S title run while he was at it. The gimmick could have (no pun intended) been white-hot.

I believe that if things hadn't played out the way that they did, Mordecai would have done a great job in WWE as a alternate version of the Undertaker and had a long, successful career in the company. But no matter, a wrestling fan can dream all he wants.

#YankeesDodgers2017

Cat of Controversy, Writer of Wrestling
Creator of War Zone
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:04 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Kyphael is looking to come up from OCW...Kyphael is looking to come up from OCW...Kyphael is looking to come up from OCW...Kyphael is looking to come up from OCW...Kyphael is looking to come up from OCW...

100% agreed, I was a huge Mordecai mark as a kid watching SmackDown. I remember hearing rumors of a feud between Mordecai and Eddie Guerrero, and later Mordecai vs. The Undertaker. Those would have been awesome because he would have learned from the best. Their reason for sending him back to OVW as being too green is total bullshit when you think of all the green guys they let on the roster back then. Plus, the feud they brought him back to TV with sucked; the vampire crap.

Mordecai is just one of a many wrestler/gimmick packages I thought WWE wasted, among them Shawn Stasiak's Devil's Advocate, and Muhammad Hassan to state a few (though the latter really was the network's fault.)

A published author is an amateur who didn't quit.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 AM

MillionDollarMan is looking to come up from OCW...MillionDollarMan is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
100% agreed, I was a huge Mordecai mark as a kid watching SmackDown. I remember hearing rumors of a feud between Mordecai and Eddie Guerrero, and later Mordecai vs. The Undertaker. Those would have been awesome because he would have learned from the best. Their reason for sending him back to OVW as being too green is total bullshit when you think of all the green guys they let on the roster back then. Plus, the feud they brought him back to TV with sucked; the vampire crap.

Mordecai is just one of a many wrestler/gimmick packages I thought WWE wasted, among them Shawn Stasiak's Devil's Advocate, and Muhammad Hassan to state a few (though the latter really was the network's fault.)
It was Sean O'Haire that had the fantastic devil's advocate character where "he wasn't telling you anything you didn't already know."

The problem was he just wasn't as good live as he was in rehearsed skits and then they stuck him with Piper and did nothing with it.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:11 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

I want to forget this moment in Smackdown! 2004 after WM was the worst year for the brand. Eddie dropped the title to JBL, JBL held the title too early and way too long, Angle was jobbing to Big Show, Cena was starting to become Child Friend, and there were a few gimmicks that were just plain annoying.

Mordecai was part of the latter. He was one of those guys where Smackdown! creative was trying to make colorful gimmicks off. I think the mandate for Smackdown! at the time was for the brand to revolve around gimmicks and Mordecai, Kenzo Suzuki, Rene Dupree, were certain examples.

As for Mordecai from what I recall he wasn't that good of a wrestler and the way his gimmick was presented it was hard to take him seriously in any way. It felt like a character straight from 1995.

That said the guy who portrayed Mordecai did become Kevin Thorn in ECW. I mean sure he wasn't that better as a worker but, at least, he had a much better gimmick that would be fine in a lower mid card/mid card level (something the ECW brand was anyways).
Old 07-13-2017, 04:27 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

They should have stuck with him. Let's not forget that the Undertaker looked stupid and was boredom inducing for many years. The spectacle of Mordecai being covered in blood would've been worth sticking with him for longer.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:31 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

I think the only reason why they had Mordecai was to feud and lose to The Undertaker. I mean Undertaker went back to his deadman gimmick not to recently so I would think the WWE wanted Undertaker's feud to involve gimmicks and over the top characters.

Which is why early on we had Booker T invoking voodoo when feuding with The Undertaker and a Concrete Crypt match.

I think it's safe to say that after Mordecai's feud with Taker he would have been gone not too long after.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 AM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

I think the gimmick was literally created in order to be fed to the Undertaker, but I'm not 100 percent sure about that; what is pretty much undeniable is that a Mordecai/Taker feud was on the horizon until his demotion. It would have been difficult to have Mordecai and Taker on the same show in my opinion because they were basically playing two sides of the same character. I guess you could argue the same thing about Kane when he debuted, but that was a special circumstance. Kane's character was so fleshed out that he was a star before he ever appeared on our TV sets. Mordecai just seemed like he was created to be the exact opposite of Taker so that they could build up to their eventual feud and feed Mordecai to him.

They probably could have treated him better, but like I said, I'm not entirely sure there were originally long-term plans for the gimmick in the first place.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Former WZCW Tag Team Champion
WWE Diva's Champion

Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...Low_Ki is looking to come up from OCW...

I made a post on these a few years back, and yes, in truth it was a wasted opportunity on his part.

The only thing I really disliked about the whole gimmick is that it was quite clear he was set up to be fed to Taker. They could have easily built him for a good year or so, giving him the feel of someone who could have become a monster heel, and they have him fight Taker, but in 2004, ideas were being rushed.

Regardless, the Mordecai character in my eyes will always feel like a missed opportunity to build a strange, out there character (that isn't laughable like the Boogeyman, or inconsistent like Bray Wyatt).
Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Weems2k is looking to come up from OCW...Weems2k is looking to come up from OCW...

Mordecai is doing pretty well for himself these days. He's the lead singer of Gemini Syndrome.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:11 AM
Natural 20 G-Mod
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias

Mordecai was an extremely cool gimmick. I too always wondered what he would have been like had he been able to stick around longer as that character. The feud with Undertaker had tons of potential. At least he was able to come back later as Kevin Thorn who was also a pretty cool character, but I often speculate on what we as fans missed out on here. Looks like I am not alone in that. The fact that people still wonder about Mordecai after more than a decade speaks for itself. Maybe the WWE could try running a similar character and see how it goes. This new character would probably have to settle for facing Bray instead though as Taker's got to be done by now.

"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
Dagger is the John Cena of this site.