WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 05-24-2017, 12:46 AM
what the fuck is a
WCW TV Champion

Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default Shinsuke On The Mic Makes Me Cringe

And I can't be the only one seriously.

He is great in the ring, and NXT did wonders for his persona but he still can't talk worth a lick. Now I have heard that he actually speaks pretty good English but I haven't heard or seen it yet.

Maybe not let him talk so much because the live audience is sniggering even though they like him. Let him do small soundbites and get it done till he can go on the mic. Good thing Punk isn't feuding with him or he would have permanently killed his persona like he did with ADR.

But seriously, am I the only one?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:47 AM

Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...

It's incredibly hard to learn English in a case like his. He's made improvements, but it'll never be on par with what most North American or even European fans would want. They're really kind of pushing the "He is Asian. He dances. What an eccentric performer" thing in lethal and transparent doses. Cringe? Not really. I enjoy the "Rockstar" thing a bit more than the awkward prince and Jackson comparison. They have a guy who's worth millions and has proven to garner attention, but he's complex and if one part outweighs the other it's off putting.

Not sure why people on the internet were saying his English was pretty good. It is all things considered, but to someone who doesn't know that struggle or only speaks English it's very low level. Pretty sure you're not the only one, and it's understandable why you probably wouldn't like it. Love Shinsuke, and hearing the effort to say something like "Turning your house into a playground" is not my thing. With a champion who is going to cut the same promo every week in his language. For his people. I'd prefer they start pushing him heavier on the guy who'll decapitate you with a knee rather than silly Japanese man loves rock n roll. I won't complain too much, but build and promo is something that makes his matches great and even classics. They really haven't mishandled him, but they're kind of treading closer to that line. Smackdown fell off hardcore when they literally just lost Miz and Ambrose. Hopefully post money in the bank we see things like this become less of an issue. Especially with the briefcase, orton rematch, new day and rusev returns.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:27 AM
Yemrez Reqonıc
ECW TV Champion

ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Doesn't make me cringe. He does need to improve. But he isn't anywhere near being cringe worthy. Maybe because my first language isn't English, I can sort of relate with him.

Still, I think that his charisma and wrestling makes up for it. If he feuds with Kevin Owens, I don't know what will happen.

To each their own, I guess.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:42 AM

dalenichol is looking to come up from OCW...dalenichol is looking to come up from OCW...

The thing is, his English, when he's not in a WWE ring, is actually quite good. I know it's been alluded to in this thread, but if you check out his interviews with the Gorilla Position youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s55sHSfD1Y or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWvuX3cNX6w&t=107s, or even his Jericho podcast, he seems fairly comfortable.

It's almost like he accentuates his broken English as part of his character, either that or he's not comfortable remembering (or WWE aren't comfortable) a script and that makes things more difficult for him.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:57 AM
With the safety off!!
TNA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

A friend of mine works for the US Navy linguistics department and she told me languages are rated on a scale of 1-5. Number 1 being the easiest and 5 being the hardest to learn. Very few languages are rated a 5, English is one of them.

For someone like Nakamura who spoke Japanese almost his entire life his English is passable. I've heard him on other shows, podcasts and whatnot and he comes off a lot better. It's almost like someone else said, his broken English is part of creative's way to sell the character. I think personally it's a mistake and they should let him speak the way he does off camera. He will never speak without some sort of accent, and we as viewers shouldn't expect that to happen.

Cesero got the same label because people said his English wasn't good enough to do promo's, even though the guy speaks 5 languages. Four more than I do. Drew McIntyre was also slammed a bit by the IWC because of his Scottish accent. I think people have to have a broader mindset when we watch the WWE now. This is a global company and gone are the days when wrestler's, usually born in the US, would put on accents to fit their characters. Now we actually have wrestlers from other area's of the world, and no they might not speak perfect English, but hell everyone makes mistakes at times. What Nakamura brings in the ring outweighs any broken English promo he delivers.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:58 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

I think his English is fine for someone whose first language isn't English. I have spoken with a lot of people who aren't native English speakers in English but know how to speak it and I think Nakamura is on par with most.

Maybe it's possible it's the scripted promos more than his actual English skills.

Remember the WWE is a company that represents the "World", hence the first W in WWE, so there are going to be just as much fans that have the same comprehension of English than Nakamura.

I do feel that most Wrestling Fans in the US. If you're English isn't American or UK English then it's not good English. But they have to realize there's more people like Nakamura out there than there is John Cena in terms of English comprehension and same goes for the fans.

Last edited by shooter_mcgavin : 05-24-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:36 AM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

As others have mentioned, English isn't his first language but I wouldn't worry about it because Nakamura is someone that's not gonna rely on a lot of promo work in the first place. I've heard Nakaura speak better a few times in NXT, so I'm thinking that possible that he exaggerates his broken English, as has also been mentioned.

Nakamura's personality, character and charisma have always been displayed more through his various mannerisms, body language and facial expressions rather than promo work. From what I understand, mic work doesn't have remotely the same emphasis in Japanese wrestling as it does in America, so I was never surprised that Nakamura on the mic isn't exactly epic but, then again, it doesn't really have to be. We're almost certainly never going to see Nakamura cut a 15 to 20 minute promo session and that's a good thing. Due in no small part to Triple H's growing influence, WWE is slowly coming around to the fact that if it indeed wants to expand into other countries, especially countries where English isn't the first language, then more aspects of that countries pro wrestling scene are going to have to be incorporated, sometimes more heavily so, into the product.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 05-24-2017, 06:55 AM
I Am Jericho
WWE Diva's Champion

The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...

The fact that he can speak some English is definitely a good thing. If I remember correctly, when they brought in the original Sin Cara, he didn't know any English, so it's definitely an improvement.

I think it would be hypocritical to say that he doesn't need to improve on the mic, especially when so many of us cringe at stars that can speak English perfectly fine, but they just suck at promos. But equally, some guys need to speak more than others. Shinsuke Nakamura is not one of those guys. I do genuinely believe that less is more when it comes to his verbal promos, because I think one thing about him that is so entertaining is the enigmatic presence he has. He has so much charisma and is an absolute gem in the ring, so let that be it. Some guys don't talk for a reason, and in this case, it should be because he doesn't need to. Small sound bites are definitely needed but leave the long winded stuff for those more significant occasions.

Having said all of that, I don't dislike the way he speaks. I don't find it cringey, I consider it part of who Nakamura is. The same cannot be said for other guys who desperately need to improve (Finn Bálor comes to mind unfortunately), but for now, it works with Shinsuke.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:07 AM
WCW TV Champion

LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I don't think his English is horrible. It's good enough to have top feuds I think. Nakamura doesn't have to be good on the mic, just decent enough to be able to do some promos for big fights. His presence, character, and in ring skills is what he's selling.

I think Asuka's English is far worse than his and may be an issue for her moving forward when she gets to the main roster.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:44 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Asuka's English I think is actually pretty good better than Nakamura's. I don't think she will have any promo problems.