WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 05-23-2017, 03:13 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
Listing the names is incredibly misleading.

Savage dealt with knee injuries that basically kept him out of the company for the entire second half of 98.

Sting was dealing with personal issues that derailed the second half of 98.

Scott Hall went into rehab, came back and went back again.

Curt Hennig dealt with a knee injury that derailed the bulk of 98.

Ric Flair was out of the company in a legal dispute for most of 98.

Even Kevin Nash dealt with an injury in the middle of 98 that limited him.

Arn Anderson being listed is weird. Dude was retired for a year at that point.

Piper wasn't a full time wrestler, though WCW did use him a lot in the stretches he was around.
I wasn't trying to be misleading, I just watched 2 PPVs from '98 where everyone of those guys appeared except for Piper and Flair. I remember Flair as being in and out around that time. I know he wrestled Bret Hart on PPV early in the year. And yeah, they were both PPVs from the first half of the year. Roster was stacked.

Like I said above, Arn was still on screen....as were guys like Rude and Dusty. There was a time where guys could add value to the program without actually wrestling. That was pre-flippy kicks and hit 7,000 finishers to end a match era though. The characters tended to be better developed, so they actually could add to the entertainment value of the show in other ways. Arn was still on the roster and part of the show at times.

Last edited by LBGetBack : 05-23-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
Listing the names is incredibly misleading.

Savage dealt with knee injuries that basically kept him out of the company for the entire second half of 98.

Sting was dealing with personal issues that derailed the second half of 98.

Scott Hall went into rehab, came back and went back again.

Curt Hennig dealt with a knee injury that derailed the bulk of 98.

Ric Flair was out of the company in a legal dispute for most of 98.

Even Kevin Nash dealt with an injury in the middle of 98 that limited him.

Arn Anderson being listed is weird. Dude was retired for a year at that point.

Piper wasn't a full time wrestler, though WCW did use him a lot in the stretches he was around.
I wasn't trying to be misleading, I just watched 2 PPVs from '98 where everyone of those guys appeared except for Piper and Flair. I remember Flair as being in and out around that time. I know he wrestled Bret Hart on PPV early in the year.

Like I said above, Arn was still on screen....as were guys like Rude and Dusty. There was a time where guys could add value to the program without actually wrestling. That was pre-flippy kicks and hit 7,000 finishers to end a match era though. Arn was still on the roster and part of the show at times.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:49 AM

DaBadGuy is looking to come up from OCW...

I actually had a discussion about this the other day, 98 was a great year for wrestling in general. My biggest problem with WCW in 98 was DDP not winning the World title that year. DDP was easily at his hottest and height of his career in 97 and 98 having fueds and matches with Savage, Raven, and Goldberg around that time, and let's not forgot about those tag team matches he had at Bash at the Beach 98 with Karl Malone against Hogan and Dennis Rodman and at Road Wild 98 with Jay Leno against Hogan and Biscoff. Instead they decided to make him World Champions year to late and turn him heel, and by that time he lost alot of the steam that he built up for himself the past year and a half. I get that Goldberg was major over that year and WCW was just riding the hot hand, but I always felt that a fued between Goldberg and DDP with the 2 headlining Starrcade that year would have been better than Nash and Goldberg.

Say hello to DaBadGuy.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBadGuy View Post
I actually had a discussion about this the other day, 98 was a great year for wrestling in general. My biggest problem with WCW in 98 was DDP not winning the World title that year. DDP was easily at his hottest and height of his career in 97 and 98 having fueds and matches with Savage, Raven, and Goldberg around that time, and let's not forgot about those tag team matches he had at Bash at the Beach 98 with Karl Malone against Hogan and Dennis Rodman and at Road Wild 98 with Jay Leno against Hogan and Biscoff. Instead they decided to make him World Champions year to late and turn him heel, and by that time he lost alot of the steam that he built up for himself the past year and a half. I get that Goldberg was major over that year and WCW was just riding the hot hand, but I always felt that a fued between Goldberg and DDP with the 2 headlining Starrcade that year would have been better than Nash and Goldberg.
Thing is, Sting was crazy over and had been heavily built up throughout 1997 too. There was a time where Sting, DDP, and Goldberg were all over enough to be the top face champion.

I agree with you on DDP-Goldberg though, that could've been major.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Machismo View Post
Was that the period where he made the joke about Aldo Montoya wearing a jockstrap on his head? Cause that's the only memorable thing about Perfect's run as a commentator.

Ric and Bobby had a more memorable alliance than Ric and Curt. Curt was just there and never really stood out like a Jimmy Hart, Bobby Heenan or an actual manager.

Uh yes, they did.

X-Pac, D-Lo, Owen, Edge, Christian, Venis, Taka, Goldust, Scorpio, Shamrock, Jarrett, Snow, Mero etc.

Watched a bunch of matches from that time featuring guys like them that was just as good quality in the ring as Benoit/Booker.
Yeah, man I'm not really taking you seriously at this point. You're just trying too hard. That "vanilla midget" BS and acting like none of those guys were good or over as LOWER CARD GUYS makes it seem like you're not even trying to have an honest conversation. Curt Hennig was very charmismatic.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Big Sexy Cool
ROH Pure Champion

Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBGetBack View Post
Yeah, man I'm not really taking you seriously at this point. You're just trying too hard. That "vanilla midget" BS and acting like none of those guys were good or over as LOWER CARD GUYS makes it seem like you're not even trying to have an honest conversation. Curt Hennig was very charmismatic.
Yeah, you've done a good job convincing me that you're not taking me seriously at this point...replying back to me 3 days after that post just to tell me that, when you could've just ignored the post, lol. I'm convinced you weren't even watching wrestling at the time and you only think Benoit, Eddie, Rey, Booker etc. were good at the time based on their time in the Ruthless Aggression Era, which is likely when you actually started watching wrestling. You're an IWC cliché, you have that same mentality/logic as the rest of the dumbass sheep in the IWC, so it was hard for me to take you seriously from the moment you made this thread and cried about THT's post not making any sense to you. The only tryhard here is you, trying to convince people who were watching at the time that those guys were great when nobody gave two shits about them and their matches. Curt was a shell of his former self in WCW at that time, go watch his match with Bret at Uncensored and tell me if it was as good as his matches with Bret at Summerslam and King Of The Ring. Curt was just another guy in WCW and the NWO, seemed like he had lost his passion for wrestling and he was so charismatic, he ended up feuding with "PerfectShawn" Shawn Stasiak, lol.

Since "you're not taking me seriously at this point", maybe you should go watch some Mike Graham videos on YouTube and listen to him talk about how viewers would flip the channel when those guys came on. That's how good and over they were as lower card guys.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:39 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Machismo View Post
Yeah, you've done a good job convincing me that you're not taking me seriously at this point...replying back to me 3 days after that post just to tell me that, when you could've just ignored the post, lol. I'm convinced you weren't even watching wrestling at the time and you only think Benoit, Eddie, Rey, Booker etc. were good at the time based on their time in the Ruthless Aggression Era, which is likely when you actually started watching wrestling. You're an IWC cliché, you have that same mentality/logic as the rest of the dumbass sheep in the IWC, so it was hard for me to take you seriously from the moment you made this thread and cried about THT's post not making any sense to you. The only tryhard here is you, trying to convince people who were watching at the time that those guys were great when nobody gave two shits about them and their matches. Curt was a shell of his former self in WCW at that time, go watch his match with Bret at Uncensored and tell me if it was as good as his matches with Bret at Summerslam and King Of The Ring. Curt was just another guy in WCW and the NWO, seemed like he had lost his passion for wrestling and he was so charismatic, he ended up feuding with "PerfectShawn" Shawn Stasiak, lol.

Since "you're not taking me seriously at this point", maybe you should go watch some Mike Graham videos on YouTube and listen to him talk about how viewers would flip the channel when those guys came on. That's how good and over they were as lower card guys.
Wrong on literally everything you said, my man. Get some fresh air and stop projecting. I actually was barely watching wrestling at all in the ruthless aggression era. Watched heavily from the late 80s throughout the 90's, but started fading a bit in '98, especially later in the year. Got back into it around 05-06. You are literally everything you accuse me of being, lol. No I ain't watching no YouTube videos. I don't care.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBGetBack View Post
Huh? That don't make no damn sense at all. Think about what you're saying.

WWE had a worse roster but they used their guys better so they had a better roster. HUH?

No, like I said....WCW had a great roster, they botched it though.
It's not rocket science to understand...

WCW had a lot of aging talent, along with some who were not motivated to produce their best work or work at all as they were calling their own shots or on guaranteed money and those who were trying to move on in their careers were not being used effectively and being spat out by the NWO.

A roster that on paper is good but isn't working effectively is NOT better than one delivering above expectations. WWE guys at the time were hungry for success, motivated and most importantly - developing into stars... WCW had existing stars who were coasting and the few newer stars they did create often fell foul of Hogan and crew...
Old 05-28-2017, 11:42 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
It's not rocket science to understand...

WCW had a lot of aging talent, along with some who were not motivated to produce their best work or work at all as they were calling their own shots or on guaranteed money and those who were trying to move on in their careers were not being used effectively and being spat out by the NWO.

A roster that on paper is good but isn't working effectively is NOT better than one delivering above expectations. WWE guys at the time were hungry for success, motivated and most importantly - developing into stars... WCW had existing stars who were coasting and the few newer stars they did create often fell foul of Hogan and crew...
Right.....but they still had the better roster. Better talents. WWF made better use of their guys and had more guys on the come up and hungry to make their mark, no question. My original point was just in the amount of talent WCW had though. I mean...those veterans weren't washed. They weren't hungry. But they could still work if they wanted/needed to.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:03 PM

Greg4WWE is looking to come up from OCW...Greg4WWE is looking to come up from OCW...Greg4WWE is looking to come up from OCW...

Going back to some earlier post, D'Lo Brown was over? Can't remember his name, but the Pimp guy was over? Cmon, they weren't over. They were part of a group, but once the group dissolved they went to jobber land.

Val Venis was very popular. I guess Road Dog and Mr. Ass were too.

The main difference between WCW and WWF/E at the time was WCW was so top heavy and truly relied on them guys. Even the middle hour filler of Nitro when they had the undercard, there was nothing special to them. No real feuds. Just matches put together and no story. In WWF/E there was a story for almost everything. It was good booking. They cared then. Today? Not so much.