WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-23-2017, 03:22 AM
Yemrez Reqonıc
ECW TV Champion

ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default Failure to main event Wrestlemania...

As we know, CM Punk left WWE in the initial 2014 and his last appearance in WWE was at Royal Rumble 2014. Since then, he has gone away from professional wrestling and is currently signed with UFC.

CM Punk's major complaint with WWE was that he was never given the main event of Wrestlemania in his whole career. So this thread is about if his complaint was valid or not.

I think that he should've been in the main event of Wrestlemania at least once. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are the only "stars" of this decade aka 2k1ish decade. Bryan got his Wrestlemania moment after Yes! Movement at Wrestlemania 30 just after CM Punk left WWE. But CM Punk didn't.

At Wrestlemania 29, CM Punk was defeated by The Undertaker. At Wrestlemania 28, he retained WWE Championship against Chris Jericho but still was in the co-main event as John Cena Vs. The Rock I was the headliner. At Wrestlemania 27, he was defeated by Randy Orton. At Wrestlemania 26, he was defeated by Rey Mysterio. At Wrestlemania 25, he won the Money In The Bank briefcase. At Wrestlemania 24, he did the same as well.

I totally agree that CM Punk should've been in the main event of Wrestlemania. Maybe 28/29. What about you?
Old 04-23-2017, 03:47 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinChan View Post
As we know, CM Punk left WWE in the initial 2014 and his last appearance in WWE was at Royal Rumble 2014. Since then, he has gone away from professional wrestling and is currently signed with UFC.

CM Punk's major complaint with WWE was that he was never given the main event of Wrestlemania in his whole career. So this thread is about if his complaint was valid or not.

I think that he should've been in the main event of Wrestlemania at least once. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are the only "stars" of this decade aka 2k1ish decade. Bryan got his Wrestlemania moment after Yes! Movement at Wrestlemania 30 just after CM Punk left WWE. But CM Punk didn't.

At Wrestlemania 29, CM Punk was defeated by The Undertaker. At Wrestlemania 28, he retained WWE Championship against Chris Jericho but still was in the co-main event as John Cena Vs. The Rock I was the headliner. At Wrestlemania 27, he was defeated by Randy Orton. At Wrestlemania 26, he was defeated by Rey Mysterio. At Wrestlemania 25, he won the Money In The Bank briefcase. At Wrestlemania 24, he did the same as well.

I totally agree that CM Punk should've been in the main event of Wrestlemania. Maybe 28/29. What about you?
Punk should have main evented 29. The issue with it been Cena Vs Rock 2 was it was so formulaic we all knew the outcome straight away. Throw Punk into the mix and you add intrigue.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:53 AM
Yemrez Reqonıc
ECW TV Champion

ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cold Tea View Post
Punk should have main evented 29. The issue with it been Cena Vs Rock 2 was it was so formulaic we all knew the outcome straight away. Throw Punk into the mix and you add intrigue.
Hey Brockie.

I agree that Rock Vs. Cena II was formulaic. The outcome was quite predictable even in kayfabe as at that time, kayfabe = reality for me. Adding CM Punk would add some unpredictability. But I think that CM Punk would be overshadowed by both Rock and Cena. It was very predictable after CM Punk turned on The Rock that the latter will win the title and then we'll see "Once In A Lifetime" again.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:16 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

He never had a match that was worthy of closing the show at the time.
But fear not, he will come back years down the line and become one of those part-timers that he was so outspoken about. Then when Mania comes around he'll be put in a marquee match and WWE will.....put him on in the middle of the card. Because WWE will be able to spot somebody they can play with and Punk is one of them.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:30 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
He never had a match that was worthy of closing the show at the time.
Taker vs. Punk could have been for the title. Though Rock vs. Cena II did kind of make sense at the time but the match kind of failed to deliver.

My guess is that Punk vs. Bryan could have headlined WMXXX. I know the show worked out for the best with Bryan overcoming Triple H, Orton, and Batista but if Punk didn't walk out I would think Punk vs. Bryan would have been idea.

At least they could have done Orton vs. Punk vs. Bryan instead.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 AM
WWE Women's Champion

Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...Kodo Sawaki scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
As much as I like Punk, no. 28 was always about Rock and Cena, and 29 just followed. 29 as shitty as it was, was highest grossing live WWE event in history. You cant say that it wasnt good business decision to pair Rock and Cena.

Only way I could see it if it was triple threat and that Punk was inserted in Cena/Rock match. Would even gave Cena more redemption because he lost from Rock and he lost from Punk whole year.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:13 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...

I think the big failure is that Punk vs. Rock should've taken place at Wrestlemania 29 and not at the Rumble. You had Rock vs. Cena "Once in a lifetime" so why do the same main event the very next year. Punk had the long title reign going. Why not have the Rock eliminate Cena to win the Rumble and then challenge Punk at Wrestlemania??? Then you could've had Cena vs. Taker that year as well. Those 2 matches made much more sense than Cena/Rock 2 and Taker vs. Punk in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:00 AM
I Am Jericho
WWE Diva's Champion

The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Arguably CM Punk should have been WWE Champion heading into WrestleMania 29. Then, if he faced the Undertaker, that match would have surely been the main event on the card. Alternatively, if he had been slipped into the match with Cena and Rock, then that would have DEFINITELY ended the show.

Problem is, neither of these circumstances arose. And despite how he may have had the better match or better program, at each WrestleMania, the match he ended up with was simply overshadowed by something bigger. At 28, Cena/Rock and Taker/Triple H were much bigger deals than Punk/Jericho, which is funny really because at the time their feud was considered somewhat of a dream feud. And despite their status at the show, they did go second to last anyway. At 29, I understand why Cena/Rock was the bigger match, though I didn't really want to see it. I understand for story purposes (I guess) why they had to do the match and thus why it was bigger. Any WrestleMania match with Punk before 2012 just didn't warrant the main event anyway.

This was also my 434th post. Coincidence? I think not.

Last edited by The Perfect Max : 04-23-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 AM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

Mania 28 had the highest Mania PPV buyrate of all time, so that probably had a huge impact on why WWE decided to do Rock/Cena again. Obviously, by the way they were touting their first match at Mania 28 as "Once in a Lifetime", there were no plans to do the match again. Once the numbers came out, they likely thought that adding the title would result in similar numbers for 29. And they weren't that far off to be honest. I think Mania 29 was something like the 5th or 6th highest of all time.

I guess I can understand Punk's gripe, he had a legitimate claim to the main event after carrying the title for 434 days, but it's not like he was being left out. He did face Taker and was apparently scheduled to face HHH at 30. There was a lot more that went into Punk's leaving, the guy was pretty much miserable near the end and I doubt a Mania main event would have changed that. I remember him saying in an interview that he was more than unmotivated in his program with Taker, I think he actually said he didn't care at that point which is when he realized that he wasn't going to be around much longer.

Had he stayed around, he probably would have gotten his main event, than again, with the emergence of Reigns and Lesnar, he might not have. Basically, Punk wasn't a WWE guy and I doubt Vince found him reliable enough to carry the brand. Ultimately, he was right.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
Mania 28 had the highest Mania PPV buyrate of all time, so that probably had a huge impact on why WWE decided to do Rock/Cena again. Obviously, by the way they were touting their first match at Mania 28 as "Once in a Lifetime", there were no plans to do the match again. Once the numbers came out, they likely thought that adding the title would result in similar numbers for 29. And they weren't that far off to be honest. I think Mania 29 was something like the 5th or 6th highest of all time.

I guess I can understand Punk's gripe, he had a legitimate claim to the main event after carrying the title for 434 days, but it's not like he was being left out. He did face Taker and was apparently scheduled to face HHH at 30. There was a lot more that went into Punk's leaving, the guy was pretty much miserable near the end and I doubt a Mania main event would have changed that. I remember him saying in an interview that he was more than unmotivated in his program with Taker, I think he actually said he didn't care at that point which is when he realized that he wasn't going to be around much longer.

Had he stayed around, he probably would have gotten his main event, than again, with the emergence of Reigns and Lesnar, he might not have. Basically, Punk wasn't a WWE guy and I doubt Vince found him reliable enough to carry the brand. Ultimately, he was right.
Yeah I am pretty sure CM Punk knew the plan for WM31 was for Roman Reigns to headline it.

I am guessing Punk knew he wasn't going to main event WMXXX either and that Batista getting the main event slot probably compounded with his frustration.

I mean I can understand Punk getting frustrated he was Champion for over a year but his run was seen as an afterthought. He wasn't given a strong program at WM28 (heck his match wasn't even in the opening video) and he even had one his matches pushed out of the closing match at a PPV in favor of John Laurinaitis.

Also I can't say he's wrong either in deserving to close WM. In a company where Kevin Nash, Edge, Yokozuna, Bam Bam Bigelow, King Kong Bundy and Chris Jericho all closed WM he probably felt he deserved it.