WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-29-2017, 08:20 PM

RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...
Default At What Point Did Hulk Hogan Stop Being Bigger Than The Wrestling Business?

At what point, if ever, did Hulk Hogan stop being bigger than professional wrestling?

I feel from 1984 through 1997 Hogan was bigger than professional wrestling. Then in 1998 wrestling hit a new high, with WWE being a steam rolling force. They started their huge comeback and there was a big media buzz regarding wrestling. It got so big as a whole that it got bigger than Hulk.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Why mail cabbage? Seriously! Why?
Million Dollar Champion

Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...

Somewhere around when WWE pulled ahead of WCW in the ratings war for good. He had returning flashes, but that was it. He could no longer pull off the big moves and shake any foundations.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...

The arsenio hall show.

When he lied.

the Five Moves of doom?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 PM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
United States Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

Personally for me it was the point when WCW was contracting and they had that night where Jarrett laid down for Hogan. Between that event and the easy access to information with the growth of the internet, plus the ascent of Austin, Hogan was no longer larger than life and just seemed like a dude holding on too long to something he never really deserved.

But from a world perspective, I would argue that the moment came during his TNA run when the fans partially followed but did not stick around. I know people will argue that it was earlier but between WWE to TNA he did have a pretty good run with his reality show.
GSB Observation #8675309 - I've never seen Samoa Joe and Manny from Modern Family in the same room at the same time, coincidence?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:14 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

id say when the Rock became bigger than the business, before him Hogan was really the only one that'd broken into the overall pop culture zeitgeist. Rock has completely overshadowed Hogan in that regard though and in the process made Hogan look that much smaller in comparison.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:57 AM
My fave wrestler is Dirk Diggler.
WCW TV Champion

Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Spidey #2

Nah. I wanted to say when Vince bought WCW, but then I remember how hot the crowd was for Hogan when he faced The Rock at Wrestlemania. I want to say the true hype died down during that strange Mr. America stint he did with Roddy Piper, Zack Gowen, and Sean O'haire. It was just too weird for people to get into, and the whole thing was eventually scrapped. He would get the crowd going here and there after that, but for me it wasn't the same since he donned a mask and pretended not to be himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kerouac - On The Road
Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:25 AM
Reaper of Miracles
World Heavyweight Champion

Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Bernkastel

Probably in 2001. WWE had purchased WCW and they were the only song and dance left in town. When Hogan later returned it was considered more of a farewell run than a legitimate comeback. I always view Hogan's 2005 match with Shawn Michaels to be his last big promoted match. Hogan in 2017 is a retiree that is fondly remembered by those that watched wrestling 20-30 years ago, but the WWE now has a globally recognized brand. Their name is synonymous with pro wrestling. Like the NBA with basketball and the MLB with baseball. Even if they don't follow the product the majority of people will affiliate the two.

Hogan might very well still be the most recognizable pro wrestler in the world, but he isn't more recognizable than the WWE brand itself.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM

WWEWrestleFest is looking to come up from OCW...

In 2002 he was still bigger than the business. They booed babyface Rocky to cheer Hogan. I'm pretty sure they would have cheered him over Austin as well. In fact, they did.. because I remember they had a Hogan/Hall/Nash vs. Austin/Rock match on Raw or Smackdown before WM18, and the crowd was cheering when the nWo laid out the babyfaces. He was so over, they had to officially turn him face and put the belt on him. I'd say it was later in his WWE run, when they started having him do Mr. America and all that, that's when he became "just another wrestler."
Old 03-30-2017, 11:36 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I think around the rise of Stone Cold, is when Hogan became smaller.
Before 1997, if you knew one thing about wrestling, you knew the name Hulk Hogan, and maybe Randy Savage. That dynamic shifted between Bret vs Stone Cold and WM '98, you started seeing Stone Cold's name EVERYWHERE. The popularity of the rest of the cast, the other nWo members, Goldberg, Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker was in his prime, Mick Foley became a household name, and DX, all of these people combined became big enough to eclipse Hogan. While, Hollywood was still very very over. I think Austin alone was above him for a time in the middle of the McMahon Austin Feud, but even with that being arguable, you can't deny that wrestling had a large amount of stars at this time.

It wasn't until after Hogan passed the torch vs the Rock at Wrestlemania that Hogan's reputation started to tank. (He should have retired there)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:52 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

It's gonna be unpopular, but I don't think you can really categorically say Hogan EVER was bigger than the business... He was, for a long time the most successful person in it, but his rise in 85 coincided with that of the WWF, likewise the NWO with WCW and even his match with Rock was wrestling based.

Hogan never had that definitive success out of the business to say he was above it... He tried, sure, he did some movies, did Thunder in Paradise... but even after that it was Wrestling that fed his momentum and pop culture status rather than it being above wrestling.

Austin, for a fleeting moment had that - with moments like Celebrity Deathmatch and Tyson-Gate... but in reality the only person who has truly EVER become bigger than the business is The Rock... He successfully became more than a wrestler who is known outside the biz... he became the defacto top action star in Hollywood who just happens to wrestle too... Hogan was always in that first category as was Austin for most of his time...

With that in mind, I submit that there was never a time Hogan didn't need some connection to the business to be "someone" - even his reality show and Thunder in Paradise was filled with wrestlers... the nearest Hogan ever got was in 85... with appearing on the A-Team etc... but so he was "Hulk Hogan, Wrestling Champ and BA's buddy" rather than Hulk the guy. Rock n Wrestling was as much about the WWF as a whoile and Cyndi Lauper... Hogan has NEVER had that thing that was just him turn out bigger than the WWE.