WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Non-Wrestling Non Spam Sections > The Sports Arena
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-08-2017, 06:09 PM

kor420 is looking to come up from OCW...kor420 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default XFL: Would it work now?

With the watered down NFL, would you think the XFL would survive in todays world of sports/entertainment?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM
Torn between Rooney & Kate Mara
WWE Champion

Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...

The answer has to be a resounding no for a number of reasons.

I'm pretty sure it was Dick Ebersol, who said it on the 30 For 30: This Was The XFL documentary, but the XFL just couldn't close the gap between all the hype and big expectations, and actually delivering on everything they promised, and the ratings showed it.

And if they actually delivered on the XFL being a more extreme and no holds barred alternative to the NFL, there's no doubt Vince McMahon and others would find themselves in the middle of a massive shitstorm on so many sides. Just think about what's been going on with concussions, how former players, who are banged up and broken down, and having a tough time leading a normal life, and the trend with current players retiring early, because "it's not worth it." WWE already had to deal with the fallout from Benoit, the current concussion lawsuits, and it's no secret a lot of former pro wrestlers are suffering from serious injuries after years of wrestling.

On top of all that, you had the stigma of the XFL being attached to pro wrestling. It's damn near impossible to convince or change the perceptions of the people, who believe pro wrestling is "fake" and a low brow form of entertainment, and the XFL was trashed left and right during its tenure for a lot of those reasons. People like Bob Costas (who comes off as a pompous and condescending tool on the 30 For 30) have reputable careers in sports media. Costas, and many others, who shared his views were not going to give the XFL a chance, and there's no way around that. It's also hard to ignore the inevitable uproar on social media for showing close ups of the cheerleaders, the showering in the locker room, and other attempts at being a more edgy product.

Having an alternative to the NFL sounds like a nice idea on paper, but the NFL is a juggernaut. According to reports, Super Bowl LI had an average viewership of 111.3 million. You also need stars to draw eyes to your product. Who did they have? Tommy Maddox and Rod Smart, a guy remembered for the nickname (He Hate Me) on the back of his jersey? I enjoyed the XFL as a kid (loved the opening scramble for possession to start the game), but a lot of that had to with me being such a big fan of all things WWF.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Ooh baby I like it roooaaaaw!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...

While I was one of maybe a select few that did enjoy the XFL, it was doomed from the beginning being that it was connected to the WWF. Would the XFL work now? I believe so, but it would have to distance itself from WWE completely. If Vince were to bankroll it again, he shouldn't deal with the day to day operations of it all. And forget the idea of being an alternative to the NFL; to me that would entail playing during the same time as the NFL (September-early February). Instead, be an alternative to Arena Football, which is what XFL truly was in their lone season. Forget the whole "edginess" that was attempted. Just play traditional football. Hell, they could maybe have a deal with the NFL in which practice squad players would be able to play in the XFL during the offseason.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Add on the fact that there is NO DEMAND for minor league football. The XFL was bad football. There was nothing exciting about it at all. These were who could not only not make an NFL roster but the practice squad as well. The product was terrible. There are over 1600 players in the NFL and we're talking the bottom of the barrel here. There might be a few "diamonds in the rough" but the majority of players could not play. It didn't matter if they connected to the WWE or not if the product is bad fans won't watch. There are too many entertainment shows now to watch. WAY more than in 2001 so I could not imagine what type of numbers the 'XFL" would do now.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
Add on the fact that there is NO DEMAND for minor league football. The XFL was bad football. There was nothing exciting about it at all. These were who could not only not make an NFL roster but the practice squad as well. The product was terrible. There are over 1600 players in the NFL and we're talking the bottom of the barrel here. There might be a few "diamonds in the rough" but the majority of players could not play. It didn't matter if they connected to the WWE or not if the product is bad fans won't watch. There are too many entertainment shows now to watch. WAY more than in 2001 so I could not imagine what type of numbers the 'XFL" would do now.
Actually I went to some XFL games on 01 and I can tell you it wasn't terrible. Despite what you may read about it now, it was amazing. The quality of the 'footballers' was years ahead of the NFL. Trust me, I was there.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 AM
The voice of Michael Cole's headset
WWE Diva's Champion

therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...

There would not be enough interest for a primetime minor league. This is the biggest obstacle they would face. They couldn't operate in primetime so their income would go down (ad revenue would go down). They would have to pay the players less which would mean other leagues could compete with them. Rules would have to change due to player safety. The XFL would need major changes to work.

Why watch NFL-lite when you could just watch the NFL?

The NFL isn't watered-down. It is trying to make it so not every player is handicapped after their career is done.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:16 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Actually I went to some XFL games on 01 and I can tell you it wasn't terrible. Despite what you may read about it now, it was amazing. The quality of the 'footballers' was years ahead of the NFL. Trust me, I was there.
There might a have a been a few games that were decent but the majority wasn't. I too remember watching in '01 and alot of it was just bad to average football. There was nothing to me that really stood out as "amazing." By the time the season was close to being over alot of the "star" players went down with injuries so it that drove down the quality of play even further. The final score of the "championship" game was 38-6. As far the statement the quality of "footballer" was years ahead of the NFL. That statement is inaccurate. Most XFL'ers did not go on to make NFL rosters and none made any impact whatsoever.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:54 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

I think Mitch touched on virtually all the reasons why it wouldn't work and why it'd be a bad idea.

If the tragedy of the Benoit situation has had any positive effect, it's that the shitstorm of negative press and Congress itself considering launching investigations to potentially regulate WWE it's that WWE can no longer turn a blind eye to the physical problems of the wrestlers working for them. Prior to the Benoit tragedy, they basically didn't give a damn what you did so long as it didn't interfere with your work. That's how pro wrestling as a whole operated and most of it continues to operate. Whenever something pops up that generates controversy regarding pro wrestling, even if it's something that has nothing to do with WWE, WWE is still the company that gets talked about and/or is the company that winds up taking the heat. Some have called WWE "watered down" at various times and that may be true in the sense that they do try to minimalize wrestlers doing highly dangerous spots; most other companies don't do that because most other companies barely have a pot to piss in and aren't being sued by 50+ wrestlers, some of which haven't worked for them in decades, some of whom weren't in the company long enough to have a cup of coffee, etc. because there's hardly anything to sue over. I mean, WWE took in $730 million in revenue last year, no other company and maybe not all the active wrestling companies currently in operation around the world combined, even come close to that. Whether or not they have any merit is for the courts to decide but if Vince won't do what he can to cover his own company's ass, nobody will.

What's this got to do with the XFL? Well, for one thing, Vince wouldn't be able to just let "anything" happen, there'd be none of the "no holds barred" bullshit because the athletes have to be protected in the best ways possible. Given that Vince is best known for being the CEO of the world's largest professional wrestling company, there'd be even more scrutiny on the XFL, possibly, in order to gauge that they're doing everything possible to keep the players healthy and safe; one slip up or if something was discovered that could be improved, the press would crucify Vince.

Also, as has also been brought up, there's no demand for it. The XFL would ultimately come off comparable to something like arena or lingerie football in that it'd be a novelty, something that's different but ultimately something that very few would take seriously.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 02-10-2017, 06:56 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
Also, as has also been brought up, there's no demand for it. The XFL would ultimately come off comparable to something like arena or lingerie football in that it'd be a novelty, something that's different but ultimately something that very few would take seriously.
It wasn't even that. You know what you're getting with Arena and Lingerie Football. The XFL marketed itself as a viable alternative or substitute for the NFL which it wasn't. Despite what some idiot said. It was not "amazing football." The games were boring, the players unknown, and the quality of football was bad. There are 32 teams in the NFL with 53 man rosters. That's over 1700 players if you include the practice squad. We're literally talking about players that would even be in the top 2000 in the world. Besides Vince and the announcers there was no connection to the WWE at all. The ONLY reason WHY the XFL got ANY publicity at all was because of Vince.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:58 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

that would NOT even be in the top 2000 in the world. Besides Vince and the announcers there was no connection to the WWE at all. The ONLY reason WHY the XFL got ANY publicity at all was because of Vince.