WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-22-2017, 09:06 PM
Leading A Revolution
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

RedRegan1005 is looking to come up from OCW...RedRegan1005 is looking to come up from OCW...RedRegan1005 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Are Styles and Owens about to be "Punked"?

Haven't been on here in a while but randomly decided to dive back in today and wanted to here some other opinions on something.

My question is do you think both current world champs Kevin Owens, and AJ Styles are about to get "Punked" at the Royal Rumble? What I mean by punked is a horrible pun to reference when CM Punk held the WWE title for a 400 plus day title reign and then dropped the title to The Rock at the Royal Rumble to set up the WM29 John Cena Rematch.

Kevin Owens has held the Universal Title for exactly 5 months as of today. Meanwhile Roman Reigns was kept out of the world title picture for a few months possibly as an attempt to work on how he was getting over with the audience, or maybe as a small smack on the wrist for his wellness policy mix up. Either way the "Big Dog" as Michael Cole would say is back in the world title picture, and after dropping the US title it seems much more likely that he reclaims the top belt on Raw and will head into Wrestlemania to potentially headline the show for the third straight year. While i'm a big Kevin Owens fan I think they put the belt on him just to fill a void that was created by the Finn Balor injury and now are gonna go back to Reigns leading up to and through wrestlemania while Kevin Owens and Chris Jericho end up facing off for the US Title. Also it wouldn't surprise me if the continued ratings struggle would make Vince go back with Reigns thinking he'll be a better ratings draw.

Next we have the Phenomenal one. AJ styles is currently in the midst of a roughly four and a half month run as the WWE Champion and it will be the "Face that runs the place" vs "The Champ that Runs the Camp" when Styles defends his belt against Cena. With rumors running rampant of Cena vs Undertaker this year at Mania this could be when they put the strap back on Cena to set up what would be the hands down main event of WM 33. I have more hope here that AJ will some how go over Cena again. AJ Styles has had arguably one of the best single year runs in WWE history, has been the best thing on Smackdown to me, and just has too much momentum going right now not to go into WM33 as champ. Also, John Cena vs the Undertaker would be so big it wouldn't have to be for the belt. So why put the strap on Cena and possibly have Taker win the rumble when you can get to that match with out either of those things happening. However Styles is 2-0 in singles matches against Cena and I can't see him going to 3-0 with out some shenanigans .

The thing here is WWE has both world title belts on two guys who the hardcore fans, older fans,"IWC" or whatever the hell kind of label you want to put on the fans, me included, who are supporters of guys like Kevin Owens and AJ Styles during a time where there is arguably a low point in the year. The low is that septemebr to january stretch where post wrestlemania/ summerslam hype has died down and its too early to start the hype for next years wrestlmania. But with the Rumble kicking off the "Road to Wrestlemania" do you think WWE will have Owens and Styles drop their respective World Titles to Cena and Reigns who are considered more of the usual Vince McMahon/WWE top guys? Similar to how CM Punk dropped the belt to The Rock back in 2013.

So what do you guys think?
Old 01-22-2017, 10:15 PM

johnnybbad78 is looking to come up from OCW...

Owens is most definitely a place card, otherwise they would have had him win the title and not Balor. I wouldn't be surprised to see Reigns win the title, but I don't think Cena will win. As you said him vs. Taker does not need to be for the title. I do however, think WWE may try to do a double winner of the Rumble, so they have two guys to stake claim to title shots at WM, one obviously for Smackdown, and one for Raw. If that happens, I think Balor makes a surprise return and is one of those two, if not the ONE to win the Rumble.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 PM

MoRtAnDaD is looking to come up from OCW...MoRtAnDaD is looking to come up from OCW...MoRtAnDaD is looking to come up from OCW...

I think Reigns is gonna win, and Goldberg will win the Rumble...and set Reigns v Goldberg at WM.

With AJ and Cena, im really clueless, because AJ has been amazing and is over as hell, Cena doesnt need a title to be relevant
Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
Million Dollar Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

To put it simply, no.

There are major differences between Styles/Owens and CM Punk.

1) They are not CM Punk. CM Punk was a big star during his run. He was the #1 guy to get so close to Cena's stardom in years and some could argue that he might even had surpassed it for some time. Styles and Owens are nowhere near there. Then you had the whole "Wrestlemania Main Event" in Punk's wish list. The fans knew that and they felt that Wrestlemania 29 was the right time for that, since Punk had been the hottest guy in pro wrestling for 2 years.

2) Owens and Styles aren't really bonafide Wrestlemania main event worthy. I'm not talking about their ring ability. This is by far superior when compared to many wrestlers out there. However Owens isn't that over, he's not mainstream over and Styles just closed a year with the WWE. They're more like the 2000 Kurt Angle. He too dropped the belt to The Rock, since Rock vs Austin was the biggest rematch at that time for Wrestlemania and nor for example, Austin vs Angle.

3) Let's look at the booking side of things.
RAW: If not Owens vs Jericho happens for the title at WM, then what's left? Rollins is locked with HHH. Lesnar is locked with Goldberg and I doubt Vince has in mind to make Lesnar the champ right now. Plus Lesnar himself requested this whole feud with Goldberg to continue so that Lesnar and Goldberg can work together at Wrestlemania. The other options are Reigns vs Balor or Reigns vs Strowman. They're not bigger draws than Owens vs Jericho.. But Reigns winning the title and Strowman the Rumble would be a big and bad troll for all of us.

Smackdown: There are more chances that Styles drops the belt to Cena than ever before. First of all, Styles is 2-0. Will he go 3-0? It'd be a nice story, but I don't think so. Then again, I really can't predict SD's title picture for Wrestlemania. Will it be Styles vs Wyatt? Cena vs Ambrose? Undertaker vs Cena? Styles vs Orton, Styles vs Orton vs Wyatt? Undertaker vs Styles? All of these matches could happen.

Summary
Unless WWE decides to move away from Lesnar vs Goldberg and give us Reigns vs Goldberg for the title, which is a bigger draw than Owens vs Y2J, then I don't see Owens dropping the title. However that would put Lesnar in a backseat, until he gets his win over Goldberg and from what I have understood over the years, Lesnar doesn't want to be in the backseat (see Lesnar vs Ambrose).
As far as Styles goes, I really don't know. I don't know if they're planning for someone to step us from SD like Wyatt and Ambrose or if the Undertaker will end up there fighting for the title.
But I feel like one of those guys will definately walk into WM as the champ.

PS: Even if they get punked, what does it matter? The card can shape like this:
Reigns(c) vs Goldberg
Cena(c) vs Undertaker
Owens vs Y2J
Styles vs Orton
Wyatt vs Lesnar (Interpromotional match)
Rollins vs Triple H
and the rest. That's still one awesome card for me.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:19 AM
I know my name/avi/sig don't match.

The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...

To preface, I don't see either man walking into Mania as champion, but does that mean they're getting "Punked?" No.

Punk's situation was unique, it wasn't just a guy who had a great run dropping a belt. Despite Punk having a year plus long title reign and him being arguably the hottest guy in the company for the better part of two years, him dropping the belt was just business. It's not like they had some vendetta against him that said "thou shalt not main event WrestleMania!" They wanted to do Cena vs. Rock II... so they did it. What made it feel like more than that was the fact that Punk was so vocal about being against the idea and thinking that he should've been involved in that WrestleMania's main event in some way whether it be as challenger or champion. Those two things coupled together made it almost feel like a legitimate screwing.

That's not going to be the case this time. Not only because neither AJ nor Owens are close to the position Punk was in, but I think both are more level-headed than Punk was, and they'll understand that it's just business. Will there be disappointment? Sure. There always is. Will there be saltiness? Maybe some. Will they get over it? Yeah, eventually. Will they let it get out of hand? Absolutely not.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Phenomenal is a member of the JOB SQUAD

I don't think WWE places their wrestlers in WM main-events anymore depending on their box office appeal. This is the mid-card era and the company knows this, however I do feel that AJ Styles should be in the main event at WM because he is one of the best things to happen to wrestling post-MNW.

CrayzChris
Old 01-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
United States Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

Who actually thought Punk would main event WM 29? Punk is pretty clueless if he feels he got Punked. The writing was most definitely on the wall that he was second class throughout most of his title reign. They had him turn heel at Raw 1000 on The Rock which was a pretty decent sign of things to come.

But here's the thing. Styles and Owens should want to kill for the spot Punk got at Mania 29. Punk got a better spot working with a white hot Streak intact UT at that Mania. It should have been far more important to him and the fans than the title and another match with Cena or facing a wrestler turned actor. Punk always tried to come off like some counter alternative to the traditional Cena. But he wasn't, he wanted to be Hulk Hogan like everyone else and not the Macho Man he worked the fans in to believing. He was just so ungrateful that he can't appreciate what he was granted.

I expect Styles will lose but still get a decent match up at Mania. Owens, not so much. But they both have known this for a while and will be professional about it. Any dismay will be them working the fans. Whether it be in a podcast today or an autobiography in 10 years.
GSB Observation #8675309 - I've never seen Samoa Joe and Manny from Modern Family in the same room at the same time, coincidence?
Old 01-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Remarkable Mark Keaton
Million Dollar Champion

Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...

I'll throw out a wild prediction and say Kevin Owens loses his Title because of something Chris Jericho does. A.J Styles retains his title with interference from ____ to get a feud with John Cena. I can't see both world champions going down on one show.

."In 20 years we won't be viewed as -Mailmen- anymore and will be called -Drone Pilots- instead."
Old 01-23-2017, 03:08 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Punk didn't get "punked" as it was pretty obvious that he wasn't being booked with the sort of strength that we'd seen with guys like Edge, Batista or John Cena. Punk himself has stated that he wanted the "John Cena push" but Punk's biggest problem was that he was difficult to work with and continuously rubbed everyone the wrong way. If even half of what's been reported on Punk over the years turns out to be true, Punk was often confrontational simply for shits and giggles; he enjoyed conflict with people he didn't like, which included a lot of the top stars especially or management.

I can see Owens losing at the Royal Rumble, I don't know if it'll be due to Jericho turning on him or if it'll be some sort of miscalculation, but I can see it. For instance, even though Jericho is going to be above the ring, he can still sort of toss some sort of foreign object to Owens; if he comes out with the United States Championship belt, then I have little doubt that Jericho will drop the title down for Owens to use. I'd say Reigns had a strong 75% chance of walking out with the Universal Championship when he was US champ, but it went up to 95%+ after he dropped the US Title to Jericho and isn't going for a rematch.

As for AJ Styles, I think he has a better shot of retaining against Cena at the Rumble. My guess, and that's all it is 'cuz Vince may throw a curve ball, is that Vince wants Cena's historic 16th World Championship run to start at WrestleMania. WrestleMania is the biggest show of the year, the "Showcase of the Immortals" and all that, so Cena tying Ric Flair for having the most officially recognized World Title runs just seems like a WrestleMania moment.

Personally, I think both guys deserve to walk into WrestleMania as champions.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 01-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Knockout Champion

WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...WWEIsLife2 is looking to come up from OCW...

I think that's a little unfair to say both guys will get punked. How many people thought AJ Styles even a year ago now since his debut would have this kind of run in the WWE? I had hopes he would but i wasn't sure how far his ceiling would be. I am glad WWE took full advantage of the guy and he's knocked it out the park carrying Smackdown. Same goes for Kevin Owens because when his feud with John Cena ended everyone thought he was done for but i think he's done a good job helping to carry RAW.

Will either one lose at the Royal Rumble? I am having a hard time figuring out what will happen but i like that feeling of not knowing the outcome. Right now if I had to pick I think John Cena wins and Kevin Owens retains.

WWF/E & Wrestling Fan since 1990!