WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-17-2017, 06:53 PM
Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...
Default Biggest Wrestlemania Drop-Off in WWE History

As WZForums foremost expert and aficionado on all things Wrestlemania 8, a thought occurred to me as I pondered the ways of the universe upon the porcelain throne this fine evening.

Sgt. Slaughter was one of the most dastardly evil heels in WWE history heading into Wrestlemania 7. He was the WWF Champion, having defeated the seemingly invincible Ultimate Warrior at the Royal Rumble that year. He would go on to face Hulk Hogan in the Mania Main Event, losing a bloody battle to The Real American. Slaughter was a tremendous and topical heel foil to Hogan.

One year later, he was involved in an 8-man tag team match featuring Virgil, The Repo Man, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Mountie, The Nasty Boys, and the Big Bossman. Ray Combs did a funny little bit making fun of the heels pre-match. Bossman punched Repo in the crotch and people laughed. Slaughter did not factor into the decision.

It got me thinking - was Slaughter's drop off from Wrestlemania 7 to Wrestlemania 8 the biggest drop off in CONSECUTIVE Wrestlemanias in WWF/E history? Or is there a bigger one? Bear in mind - it has to be consecutive years to count.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:02 PM

MrJGoose is looking to come up from OCW...MrJGoose is looking to come up from OCW...

I'm going to say Ted DiBiase headlining Wrestlemania 4 vs Macho Man for the WWF title to Wrestlemania 5 third match on the card a non-title (Million Dollar Championship) vs Brutus Beefcake.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:06 PM
WZCW Head of Creative
World Heavyweight Champion

Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

Off the top of my head, there's not many drop offs that come close to Sgt. Slaughter. But that's mainly because of who his opponent was the year before. That said, I have managed to come up with one that I believe is somewhat bigger.

Stone Cold Steve Austin - WrestleMania X-Seven/WrestleMania 18

Austin went from wrestling The Rock in the main event of the best ever WrestleMania event in Houston, to taking on Scott Hall and Kevin Nash a year later. And whilst Hall and Nash might have created a nice little niche for themselves in wrestling, they are no Dwayne Johnson and they are no Stone Cole Steve Austin. Moreover, Austin came around the middle of the card at WrestleMania 18 and it was almost as if he had been totally underestimated. This was the same guy that, the year before, made the biggest heel turn in the history of the company. This is the same guy that everyone talks about as being amongst the very best to lace some boots. And he's 10 minutes and a throw away match with a washed up Hall and Nash? Bullshit!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
United States Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

I admit I had to do some research but going from a cage match with Hogan for the title to a little person match against Hillbilly Jim may not be a bigger drop off than Sarge but it is one of the bigger drops.

That being said, I though that match was great when I was a kid.
GSB Observation #8675309 - I've never seen Samoa Joe and Manny from Modern Family in the same room at the same time, coincidence?
Old 01-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Steele's Barber View Post
I admit I had to do some research but going from a cage match with Hogan for the title to a little person match against Hillbilly Jim may not be a bigger drop off than Sarge but it is one of the bigger drops.

That being said, I though that match was great when I was a kid.
Am I to assume you're going with King Kong Bundy here, then? Because if you are, that's an excellent contender. Even Mr. T got a gimmick match vs Piper at Mania 2 after Main Eventing the first one.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
X-Division Champion

Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Rainbow Yaz

Hard to argue Sarge as the biggest drop off.

I will throw a recent example out there that could be considered a big drop off.

At Wrestlemania 30, Daniel Bryan was in one of the hottest story lines going, wrestled two matches in one night and won the World Title in one of the bigger Wrestlemania moments in my time watching wrestling. The next year he was thrown into a random fifteen minute spot fest ladder match for the IC title to open the show. Sure he won and his injury issues likely played a part in him not being able to be part of something bigger than the IC clusterfuck, but going from main eventing for the World Title one year to curtain jerking the next is a drop off.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
Million Dollar Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

What about The Miz? Main event of Wrestlemania, angle involving Cena and The Rock, next year he almost didn't compete. He was part of the Ted vs Johhny match, if memory serves me correct.

Another one is Rey Mysterio. What happened after WM 22? he didn't compete at all at WMs 23 and 24 and had a 21-second match with JBL at WM 25.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 PM
I know my name/avi/sig don't match.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...

Two more recent ones:

Randy Orton main eventing WrestleMania 25 and the next year getting put into a triple threat match with his two legacy counterparts, Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase, Jr. The match made sense and the way they built the break up of Legacy was pretty good, but was still a steep drop-off, it was placed second on the card and by the end of the night was a complete afterthought.

The Miz main eventhing WrestleMania 27 and the next year being apart of Team Johnny vs. Team Teddy. He ended up getting the pinfall for his team but when you look at some of the other names in that match that he was with, it was a far cry from successfully defending the WWE Championship against John Cena.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:40 PM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

Big Show main evented Mania 2000 with three of the biggest names in wrestling history in Rock, Foley, and HHH and than proceeded to dress up in a thong a month later. Mania 17 saw him in a Hardcore title match with Raven and Kane.

Still, I'd say Sarge takes the cake at this point.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:21 PM
WZCW Head of Creative
World Heavyweight Champion

Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

The Undertaker is a good one too. At Mania 17, he wrestled Triple H in a great match that really started the serious build on his streak. That match was all types of awesome, even if Earl Hebner was "unconscious" for about 25 minutes after a splash(?). The next year, he went on to face Ric Flair in a no disqualification match, which was similarly good. The next year, he went on to face Albert and The Big Show in one of the first matches out. So unfitting of his quality and the streak at that point.