WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Non-Wrestling Non Spam Sections > The Media Hub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-28-2016, 12:57 PM
NaNoWriMo'17 50,000 words in 30days
WWE European Champion

Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank N Steins_Gate
Default My Graphic novel reviews

Title should say Reviews.

Since I've recently started collecting graphic novels i figured I would start a thread where I can jot down my thoughts and others can do the same. All my reviews will be in Spoiler Tags so i don't ruin anything for those that may be interested in reading it.

Im gonna start with the only one I've read so far Wolverine: Old Man Logan.

Click for Spoiler:
Ive heard of this one before but never read it. I went in with high expectations due to it being Wolverine and it exceeded every one of them.

It's set 50 years in the future and the supervillians have taken over the United States. The only hero left is Wolverine after every other Marvel hero is dead but he's become a pacifist and hasn't popped his claws in 50 years. He lives in what was once California but is now an arid desert controlled by an insane Bruce Banner and hus inbred brood The Hulk Gang. Hawkeye (no longer a superhero due to being blind) comes and tells Logan he needs a navigator to deliver a shipment to New Babylon (formerly DC) to give to the resistance.

Long story short there is no resistance and Hawkeye is shot right in front of Logan by a fat Hitler looking SHIELD agent who then gets dragged to President Red Skull. Logan kills Red Skull with Captain America's old shield and uses pieces of Tony Stark's old Iron Man suit to get back home to Cali where he finds his wife and 2 children dead after being killed on Banner's orders. Seeing this Logan pops his claws for the first time in 50 years and kills the entire Hulk Gang with the exception of Bruce Banner Jr whom Logan takes to start a new team of heros. He then decides to go after all the villians.

I loved this. I finished it in about 30 minutes because I couldn't put it down. It's simply amazinng in every way and something i highly suggest to every Marvel fan

I give this * * * * *

Quote:
Up Next
Batman: A Death In The Family

On Deck (in no order)
Flashpoint

The Amazing Spider-Man: Civil War

The Road to Civil War

Last edited by Frank N Steins_Gate : 12-28-2016 at 01:01 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:37 PM
WWE European Champion

Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...

I'm not used to talking about the artistry when I'm talking about literature but seeings how that's a big part in what makes or breaks a graphic novel so maybe i should mention that.

I'm in no way an artist so i can't go into detail but i can say if I thought it was good or not and in this case yes it was good.

Not sure what else to say really. Like everything else about this G.N. it worked perfectly with everything else and was amazing.

My rating is the same as above.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:44 AM
WWE European Champion

Batman: A Death In The Family

Click for Spoiler:
I love Batman and this was historic in the sense that DC let the fans decide if a major character lives or dies but it's a bit dated.

Originally printed in 1988 I'm sure people loved the international politics that was throughout the entire thing. Things like the the Lebanese Civil War and Famine in Ethiopia and the Ayatollah Khomeini making The Joker an Iranian Ambassador to the UN. None of that really translates well 28 years later in 2016.

The artistry while amazing is a bit old fashioned which isn't a bad thing it just is what it is. Going from Old Man Logan to this was a bit of a shock.

One thing I don't really care for in my DC comics is the use of real places. Gotham & Metropolis i like but NY and the UN not so much.

It is very well written and drawn. I do suggest this to any Batman fan for the historic aspect of the fans voting alone but the story is good if a bit dated.

My Rating: * * *3\4 out of 5
Quote:
Up Next
Batman: A Lonely Place Of Dying

On Deck
Flashpoint

The Road to Civil War
Old 01-01-2017, 04:05 PM
WWE European Champion

Batman: A Lonely Place Of Dying

Click for Spoiler:
What a difference a year makes. This is pretty much a direct sequel to A Death In The Family in that it deals with Batman coping with the death of Jason Todd, which is to say not very well. He's taking chances he never would have in the past and has been getting injured so much Alfred actually tells him he doesn't plan plan on spending the rest of his life as a nurse. In comes Tim Drake. Years ago he figured out the secret identities of both Batman & Robin (Dick Grayson) and as such is able to figure out Jason Todd was Robin as well. He spends his half of the story trying to convince Dick to stop being Nightwing and become Robin again thinking that with someone at his side he'll simmer down a bit. Dick refuses saying Robin died with Jadon Todd but goes to help hunt Two-Face as Nightwing. Instead of giving up Tim puts on the Robin costume himself and actually saves Batman & Nightwing. After capturing Two-Face Bruce agrees with Tim, Alfred & Dick and agreed to take thing with Tim one day at a time. He becomes the 3rd Robin.

I enjoyed this so much more than the last one. The art is less campy and didn't make me chuckle every few pages. The storyline didn't revolve around outdated politics which makes for a much better read in 2016. If you want to read or have read A Death In The Family this one should be next on your list. That's not to say it's perfect because it's not. My only problem is this seemed a bit busy. They made this a sequel and an Origin story for Tim Drake. It all tied in at the end but for most of the story they were kept pretty separate which isn't my prefered style of storytelling.

My rating: * * * * out 5
Quote:
Up Next

On Deck
Flashpoint

The Road to Civil War

Civil War
Old 01-03-2017, 07:40 PM
WWE European Champion

(Spider-Man #532-538)

Click for Spoiler:
This one tells the story of Civil War from the view of everyone's favorite webslingerc Spider-Man. He's Tony Stark's right hand arachnid with a new suit not to different from the Iron Man suit when you think about it. At first he's all for thr Superhuman Registration Act, even going so far as to unmask on National TV. Since then he's been having 2nd thoughts and demands to see where the other Superhumans are being kept. Once he realizes it's in the Negative Zone he knows he made a mistake and goes back on National TV to denounce the S.R.A. Parker goes into hiding with Captain America and the others and they get ready. The final battle happens but i don't know how it ends. That's in Civil War (which I will have Friday).

This was was really enjoyable. I haven't read Civil War yet but this does a great job of telling the story from a certain perspective instead of the broad story trying to get everything in. The art by Ron Garney was very good but I'm not a fan of how he made Peter Parker look more like a jock as opposed to the nerdy scientist I remember him as. But the one thing that bothered me above all else was how they would do a scene and say wanna find out what's on the tv screen? It's in Civil War 5 & 6 or this scene is in DareDevil #93 if you want to read the rest of it. Being a compilation of individual comics i can understand why they're doing it but it still bothers me.

My Rating: * * * *1/2 out of 5
Quote:
Up Next
The Road to Civil War

On Deck
Flashpoint

Civil War
After these 2 i may go on a bit of a hiatus because i need to buy more. If you have some you wanna review or disagree with something I've said up until now don't hesitate to use this thread. Lets keep this thread going.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:52 AM
RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Undisputed WWE Champion

X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...X is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via AIM to X Send a message via MSN to X

Going through some of the classics I see? Personally I've always found Old Man Logan a bit overrated. I enjoyed it, but it seemed almost like a caricature of Wolverine. I much prefer the stuff Chris Claremont did in the 70s and 80s that defined Logan. I haven't been as keen on a lot of the X-Men work since the 90s (though I would highly recommend checking out Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run from a few years ago, which is sheer goofy fun). As far as the Batman titles you've covered, I mean there's not much to say because they're so infamous in the comics industry and have been commented on and covered endless times. I like A Lonely Place of Dying quite a bit and have always enjoyed Marv Wolfman, but A Death in the Family is iconic and groundbreaking. To have such a major death in a title like Batman was unheard of at the time, and it helped kickstart a decade of comics that constantly were trying to one up the shock level and unpredictability of A Death in the Family's climax, for better or worse (and boy did it get worse towards the end of the 90s in that regard).

Keep doing this bud, you know I'm a disappearing act but I'll check it out whenever I see it whenever I happen to be on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman Sam View Post
Women crying with blood all over them. Just how I like them.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 AM
WWE European Champion

The Road To Civil War
(New Avengers: Illuminati, Fantastic 4 #536 & #537 and The Amazing Spider-Man #529-53)

This was passable. Illuminati gave us the rumbles that would become Civil War (as well as set up Planet Hulk) and gave me a look at characters I've never read before as well as one I never knew existed which is always awesome. The art had that sketched look which I enjoyed. Had they added more like this i would love this one as much as I do all the others but i fell on its ass after this.

I may have missed something but The Fantastic Four did even belong. It didn't seem to pave the way to Civil War everything else did so even with good art it just pulled everything down.

Spider-Man added to the other Spider-Man G.N. I have and the end leads right into Civil War.

Spider-Man & Illuminati were highly enjoyable and I recommend getting this for those alone but F4 brought it way down and is unfortunately right in between the 2 good ones.

My Rating: * * out of 5 stars

Quote:
Up Next
Civil War

On Deck
Flashpoint

Last edited by Frank N Steins_Gate : 01-12-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 PM
WWE European Champion

Civil War
(Civil War #1-7)

Mark Millar & Steve McNiven come together to give us quite possibly the biggest event in the Marvel Universe and they hit another one right out of the park.

just like Old Man Logan everything flows together perfectly the modern illustration and the linear storyline makes this one another I can't put down.

Millar & McNiven are quickly becoming my favorite combo in comic books. Their writing and illustration just work, there's no other way I can say it.

My Rating: * * * * * out of 5.

Quote:
Up Next
Flashpoint
Old 01-26-2017, 11:02 PM
WWE European Champion

I started a blog where I do my reviews a bit more professional than the ramblings I've done before and starting with Flashpoint I'm going to be doing the same style over here where I talk about the criteria I use to determine my rating.

These are the points I will be using
Quote:
1) How everything flows together (because what I'll be reviewing is a collection of comics all bound together with the same over all storyline some will flow together some won't)

2) The Storyline (This one is different from How it all flows so I figured it needs its own talking point)

3) Artistry (every illustrator is different and these are all from different era so some will click for me and some won't.)

4) How much I liked it (some I will like more than other for a variety of reason which I will explain in every post but it is usually a mix of the above criteria that determines how much I like it or not).
There may be smaller criteria but those are the top 4 I'll be using and what I will break down. This will be evolving as time goes on and if everything changes I will be sure to let you all know. The main reason I'm doing this is to spark conversation. If you agree with anything or disagree please leave a comment letting me know. If you have any you would like to see me do let me know and I will do the best I can just remember I don't review anything unless I own it so I will need time to buy it and possibly wait for it to be delivered if I buy it off Amazon.

Last edited by Frank N Steins_Gate : 01-26-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:32 AM
WWE European Champion

I said in a previous post that after Flashpoint I would be taking a break but then i remembered that I could go check my local library and see what they had. I was able to grab 9 more that i probably won't buy but I'm excited to review them anyway.
  • Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia
  • Superman Codename: Patriot
  • Hellboy: The Right Hand Of Doom
  • Batman '66 Vol. 2
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again
  • X-Men: With Great Power
  • Batman/Superman: The Search For Kryptonite
  • Batman/Superman: Supergirl
  • All*Star Superman