WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-06-2016, 07:22 AM
The Future Mr. Kelly Kelly
WWE Diva's Champion

ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Send a message via AIM to ztwhite
Default Are We Being Overwhelmed?

It's not really something new, but there's way too much wrestling to watch.

When you combine 3 hours of Raw, 2 hours of Smackdown Live, 1 hour of 205 Live and NXT -- each -- that's 7 hours of WWE programming each week. Now, we're getting two separate PPVs each month (for the most part) which are at least 2 1/2 hours each. So two weeks out of every month, we're getting between 9 1/2 and 10 hours of WWE programming. That doesn't include the months when we have an NXT Takeover PPV (or special).

Plus, when it comes to the big PPVs... Royal Rumble, Mania, SummerSlam, and Survivor Series... those have become 4 hour events or longer. Shit... The most recent Mania was 6 hours!

If you combine all of the above with Lucha Underground, ROH, TNA, and NJPW, it's become ridiculous.

Personally, I only watch WWE and LU, but this week alone, I'll spend close to 11 hours watching wrestling. Holy shit.

None of this includes stuff like Talking Smack or WWE original programming, and some of it is actually really good.

Like most people, I actually do have a life. Crazy long hours for work, friends, general life stuff, other TV that I enjoy watching, movies, music, etc... Thankfully, I don't have kids (that I know of) so I have a lot of free time for myself to do what I want... unless SHE says otherwise

Even during the heyday (old person word) of wrestling -- the Monday Night Wars -- we were only getting 8 hours of wrestling per week... Raw, Smackdown, Nitro, and Thunder. I suppose if you were a devout ECW person, and could find it on TV, that added another hour. We also would have gotten a couple of PPVs every month between WWE/F and WCW.

Maybe I'm just getting old, or I'm just realizing we're being bombarded with wrestling programming, but get off my lawn, WWE!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 AM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Nobody's forcing you to watch. If you think it's too much, turn the TV off, turn it to something different and/or don't log onto the WWE Network to watch more WWE programming. It really is just that simple.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 12-06-2016, 08:56 AM
WWE Women's Champion

johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...johnbragg is looking to come up from OCW...

I think some of this is WWE strategizing, using the Network and their funding advantage to prevent competition from springing up. With the Network, they have the ability to put on programming to meet pretty much any and all pro wrestling tastes. NXT, the CWC, the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic don't cost a lot, compared to the WWE budget. And they bring more and more talent into the WWE orbit, where they're less available to help build something like TNA (imagine TNA completely revamped under competent management)

It maximizes what people get for their $9.99 a month, it makes it a lot harder for a competitor to emerge--when TNA was at its most promising, they could say they were the go-to promotion for womens, tag-team and cruiserweight/X-division wrestling. The NEtwork lets WWE fill those niches without infringing (much) on what Vince wants for Raw and SmackDown. So, even if Paul Heymann and Jim Ross signed on tomorrow to overhaul Impact Wrestling, or start a new promotion for Fox/Disney/Time Warner/Viacom, it's a lot harder for them to write a mission statement.

The downside is you the viewer can't watch everything. Now if that becomes a common enough complaint, watch the Network debut a one- to two-hour weekly recap show, with all the highlights of RAW, Smackdown, NXT, 205 Live, and maybe a spotlight or two on other WWE Network programming. They could maybe even syndicate it on local channels.

EDIT: It makes it harder to watch TNA/ROH/NJPW/LU? That's not WWE's problem, and may be kind of the point.

"Will there be a Bound For Glory in 2011, post-Hogan?" That is my question about TNA.

January 4, 2010. Welcome to the TNApocalypse.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Million Dollar Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Being from canada, i'm fortunate enough to be able to get the WWE network as a regular tv network which mean that i can PVR all the shows i want to watch and that's what i do most of the time.

I tend to watch about half of Raw every monday and pvr the rest because the show is becoming boring and repetitive. I watch smackdown every week and pvr talking smack because of the change in the schedule.

i always pvr NXT because i like to watch the show early in the morning and i can cut all the talking and vignette on the show which makes the show go faster. Same thing with TNA. Last week, i was able to watch impact in under an hour because i skip so much crap on the show.

All this to say that it's possible to cut the number of hours of wrestling you watch if you don'T watch everything live. The PPV goes alot faster when on pvr them and watch them latter which is what i do for most of them.

But having said that, i still miss the late 80's early 90's when you didn'T have as much wrestling on tv, it made those shows feel special and the big event felt bigger because of it. The fun of going to the video store to try to find the latest WWF compilation vhs or even trying to get a copy of wrestlemania on the first week of release was so much fun. i miss those days but we're in a new era and while i'm able to cut a lot of time on wasted segments in wrestling shows, i still think their are too much wrestling on tv especially in the WWE product.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:17 AM
K. O. T. R. 2007 Ė Team Undisputed
WWE European Champion

King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
Nobody's forcing you to watch. If you think it's too much, turn the TV off, turn it to something different and/or don't log onto the WWE Network to watch more WWE programming. It really is just that simple.
fourms.wrestlezone.com says:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jack-Hammer again.

3 hours of Raw + 2 hours of Smackdown + 1 hour of 205 Live + 1 hour of NXT + 2 hours of TNA Impact Wrestling = 1 hour and 45 minutes of WWE TV I actually watch + 30 minutes of TNA Impact Wrestling I actually watch.

I tried watching ROH, but I just couldnít get into it for whatever reason. I tried watching NJPW, but I just couldnít get into it for whatever reason. I tried looking for Lucha Underground, but I was only able to find the Spanish version.

My point is Jack-Hammerís point. If itís too much for you, cut it down. To me WWE is like sex. I want to do it all the time, but sometimes Iím just too tired. Also, if you do it all the time, you could eventually get tired of it altogether. Just kidding, Iíll never get completely tired ofÖWWE!! The key is moderation.

Well, the real key is the WWE Network. Since the launch of the WWE Network, Iíve been watching every single WWE / WCW / ECW Pay Per View, in chronological order, from 1983 onward. Currently Iím on WrestleMania XXVII. With the way the product has been, Iíve been watching more past PPVs than the current weekly episodic TV shows. Once Iím all caught up, Iím going to go back and watch every Saturday Nights Main Event and Clash Of Champions, in chronological order, from 1985 onward.

I don't care if you know!! I don't care if you care!!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Friendly Neighborhood
WWE Diva's Champion

@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...

There's definitely a saturation, which is an interesting phenomenon in it's own right when you consider that there's only one major game in town. But as thoroughly explored in the replies, it's the choice of the consumer to use the off switch.

I definitely felt overwhelmed, and did indeed alter my viewing schedule. Raw's been written off for me as it's felt like a chore since the brand split. 205 Live has done me a favor of cutting another 1/2 hour, as I'm not going to linger on the Network for another hour to watch Talking Smack. PVRing NXT affords me an extra 10/15 minutes of fast forwarding commercials and such. I usually watch NXT with Lucha Underground by fridays, the latter of which airs seasonally. And then WWE ppvs. So, 3-7 hours a week for me.

Homestly, cutting out Raw makes everything a little better. I still feel like a schmuck some weeks by the 4th hour, but I don't watch much else on tv.

No. No one else misses Rybaxel
Old 12-06-2016, 09:45 PM
With the safety off!!
TNA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

With the network now you can pretty much watch wrestling 24 hours a day if you want. If you don't want you can watch whatever and whenever.

I always try to catch RAW and SD, if I miss 205 Live, that's okay, it's on the network I'll catch it later. Also watch the PPV's. But if for any reason I'm going to miss them, it's easy just to PVR them and watch when I have the time.

No one is sitting there with a gun to your head making you watch. I work full time and have a family, but don't feel that a few hours of wrestling a week is cutting into my time. If it was I would cut back.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:06 AM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
True. At the same time, I don't think you're fully grasping OP's point.

Some people love WWE and they want to stay caught up with everything Raw, Smackdown, NXT, 205 Live, etc. but in order to do that, they would have to watch about 7 hours of WWE programming a week. OP doesn't seem to be saying that he hates the product, he seems to be saying that he wants to watch everything, but it's nearly impossible nowadays because of how time-consuming they're programming is.

And I agree. Since the Brand Split I have mostly stuck to reading reviews and and watching small clips on Youtube in order to stay caught up, but others might not find that enjoyable enough. Some people want to watch everything in its entirety but the nature of WWE programming nowadays makes it extremely difficult, especially when PPV's run til about 11:30 on a good Sunday night.

Last edited by OYDK : 12-07-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:29 AM
The Future Mr. Kelly Kelly
WWE Diva's Champion

ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...ztwhite is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Send a message via AIM to ztwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
True. At the same time, I don't think you're fully grasping OP's point.

Some people love WWE and they want to stay caught up with everything Raw, Smackdown, NXT, 205 Live, etc. but in order to do that, they would have to watch about 7 hours of WWE programming a week. OP doesn't seem to be saying that he hates the product, he seems to be saying that he wants to watch everything, but it's nearly impossible nowadays because of how time-consuming they're programming is.

And I agree. Since the Brand Split I have mostly stuck to reading reviews and and watching small clips on Youtube in order to stay caught up, but others might not find that enjoyable enough. Some people want to watch everything in its entirety but the nature of WWE programming nowadays makes it extremely difficult, especially when PPV's run til about 11:30 on a good Sunday night.
Amazing how quickly people jump to this becoming a bashing WWE thread.

My point, exactly, is that I WANT to watch everything. It's like sports -- and to some extent, I consider wrestling a sport -- I want to watch everything.

Last weekend, I wanted to watch all the college football conference championship games. On Monday night, when I saw the Warriors Klay Thompson dropped 60 points in 39 minutes, I was pissed that I didn't see it.

Is it a product of my own volition... of course. But when we're constantly seeing stories about ratings being down, and people discussing why the wrestling fan base isn't what it used to be, is it a reality of their own doing?

There's an old saying, less is more. While it doesn't always equate -- and one brilliant chap used sex as an example -- is it appropriate in wrestling, or in this case, WWE?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:38 AM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwhite View Post
Amazing how quickly people jump to this becoming a bashing WWE thread.

My point, exactly, is that I WANT to watch everything. It's like sports -- and to some extent, I consider wrestling a sport -- I want to watch everything.

Last weekend, I wanted to watch all the college football conference championship games. On Monday night, when I saw the Warriors Klay Thompson dropped 60 points in 39 minutes, I was pissed that I didn't see it.

Is it a product of my own volition... of course. But when we're constantly seeing stories about ratings being down, and people discussing why the wrestling fan base isn't what it used to be, is it a reality of their own doing?

There's an old saying, less is more. While it doesn't always equate -- and one brilliant chap used sex as an example -- is it appropriate in wrestling, or in this case, WWE?
I knew it wasn't a WWE bashing thread, I just don't really see the point of the whole thread. With the WWE Network, you can watch whatever is going on at your own convenience. If you miss a ppv, an episode of NXT, 205 Live then it's not a huge deal as you can catch it later at any given time. Does that mean that WWE is somehow diluting the product themselves? Not to me because all forms of TV media are changing and moving in different directions. Take the Walking Dead, Monday Night Football & the Big Bang Theory as examples; they're still powerhouse shows that draw a lot but even their numbers are down significantly compared to previous years because people are watching them different ways than just the traditional sit in front of the TV way. It's the same with so many shows now that people just record them via DVR, sometimes recording an entire season so they can binge watch during a weekend or something and they manage to avoid conversations with people discussing it or reading spoilers online. It's often that way with shows on Hulu, Netflix, etc. The traditional TV medium is still alive and well, but people have more viewing options now than ever before and that in & of itself is cutting significantly into TV viewership.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria