WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE Pay Per Views
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 10-02-2016, 03:10 AM
Ring of Honor Champion

TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default How to sell 75,000 tickets for the Rumble

I see a lot of discussion about the 2017 Royal Rumble. WWE just announced that it's returning to the Alamodome in San Antonio. For those of you who don't know, the Alamodome is huge. It can seat (with standing room), 72,000 for a football game.

I don't know if WWE will have trouble selling it out without getting gimmicky (the Rumble is special and intriguing enough). I'm not sure what the max capacity is for the Alamodome with a wrestling configuration.

I'd like to hear some ideas for how to get an enormous number.

My main suggest is this: Make every previous winner eligible to enter and make it 40 men. 40 men doesn't work with just the regular roster. You have maybe 3-4 guys from each brand, so 6-8 total that could conceivably win. So minus the cool spots and surprise entrants, you're mostly going "5..4..3..2..1...meh".

However, if you fill the 10 extra spots with previous winners (Austin, Flair, Michaels, Taker, Rock, Batista, Mysterio, Triple H, Mr. McMahon, and maybe Hogan), you can generate a ton of intrigue even though we know they won't (shouldn't?) win.

What do you think? Let's hear some ideas.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:14 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

Yeah, because Steve Austin will come out of a near 15 year retirement to make up the numbers in a Rumble match he won't win.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:51 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Well when business was bad the WWE was able to get 60,000 in Royal Rumble 1997. All WWE had to do was either sell the tickets for cheap (like $5 or $10) or give the tickets away.

So if that worked back then who is to say the same won't work now.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:56 AM
With the safety off!!
TNA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

Well they've already announced it will be a 30 man Rumble. Of course that could always change later.

Also I highly doubt half the names if not all of them would not show up. The Rock can't seem to wrestle anymore with the stipulations put on him by movie studio's, Austin does his thing at Mania and that's about it. Mysterio isn't even on the roster, Batista - see Rock, Michaels has no interest either. The only two who might want to show up and put on some sort of a match would be HHH and Vince. Although Vince's health isn't what it used to be. And does anyone want to see Flair back in the ring? I don't.

To tell you the truth I don't know why the WWE always thinks the bigger the stadium the better for these PPV's. They are really taking a lot of good wrestling cities out of the loop by only going for huge stadiums. That being said, I'm not sure the Rumble could sell out a 70,000 plus arena. Mania yes but the Rumble well I don't know.

With two championships in play here we know the winner will headline Mania, but do they get to decide which title they want considering the titles are on different brands. And does the winner and whoever is champion headline Mania and does that make the other title seem a little lower in stature? This is something they have to work out before the event.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:51 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

I don't think the Rumble should go above 30 anymore. It was a valid experiment at 2011 but the problem with the Rumble is that it went too long and you can tell by the booking they had no clue how to fill the time.

Once Cena eliminated the Nexus you could tell they were just going by the motions afterwards (and there was still 18 entrants left).
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

legendkiller1979 is looking to come up from OCW...legendkiller1979 is looking to come up from OCW...

They won't. They only got to 48,000 paid with Shawn Michaels going after the WWF title in his hometown. 25% of the people there got in for free.

Last edited by legendkiller1979 : 10-02-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

You have the Rumble match. You can get HHH and Taker to wrestle.

A Goldberg return, with Goldberg having his first match in 13 years could happen.

Rumble 97 didn't have anything special on the card really and they still pulled out 60,000 people.

If they get the full squad for the event (Taker, HHH, Lesnar, Cena), it will sell out.

Plus you give Rock a call and advertise that the Rock will be at the event and the sheeps will go to see the Rock shooting lightning from his butt.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie
WWE Women's Champion

stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Unless they follow the MLS model and cut the seating capacity, there will be a bunch of empty seat unless they go to San Antonio's waterfront area (The "tony" one) where all the people go, a drop tickets from the plane. 25K would be great. Just not in the Alamodome. 30 man rumble? It works. Especially if Nakamura wins it.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:35 AM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

They won't sell 75,000 seats for a Royal Rumble in Texas without touting it as a Wrestlemania calibre event, and even then that would be an extremely difficult number, bordering on impossible, to reach. Mania basically only sold 10-15,000 more tickets last year (although they'll tell you it was more) and fans had to come from all over the world for WWE to hit that number. The RR is no Wrestlemania. The only reason Wrestlemania drew that many fans in the first place is because it was Wrestlemania. The card could suck, the product could suck, there could be no legitimate draws appearing at the event, and Mania would still sell a ridiculous amount of tickets because it offers a "once in a lifetime experience". The Rumble as an event has no such drawing power.

Poster above me basically touched on what would have to happen. Huge, marquee match-ups (Taker/Cena, Brock/Goldberg, etc.), legend appearances (Rock, Austin, Hogan), and above all, a really intriguing story heading into the Rumble match. Fans have to be legitimately interested in who's going to walk out as Mania's #1 contender. This would never happen though because everything I listed above has been reserved for Mania for the past however many years. I doubt they would pull out all the stops for the Rumble with Mania only 2 and a half months away.

Are they even trying to sell 70,000? That number seems like a ridiculously high mark to set...
Old 10-02-2016, 12:25 PM
#SwerveKing
WWE Diva's Champion

Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...

I was going to suggest having Shawn Michaels play a role as a Guest Referee or something like that, but he couldn't even sell out the Alamodome when he was a main event wrestler. But still, given that it's San Antonio, Michaels should/will be there. He also has a lot of history with the Rumble in general.

Booking Brock Lesnar in a marquee match is a given, but they need to make sure they find the right opponent for him. Honestly, if Kevin Owens is still the champion, and is booked strongly, Lesnar vs. Owens for the belt would work.

I also wouldn't be suprised if we see Triple H compete. The Triple H match could be the one that Michaels is involved in. Seth Rollins vs. Triple H with HBK as the Guest Referee would make sense.

As for the Rumble itself, given that the brandsplit is back and you have two world titles that mean less, there are conceivably more potential winners. If Finn Balor is healthy enough to return at the Rumble, I probably wouldn't make that a shocking reveal. It would be a smarter business move to use vignettes around the whole "Demon King" personna to hype up his return at the Rumble, build anticipatation for the match, and sell some fucking tickets.

Because they'll need to sell A LOT of tickets.

Also it's Texas, so the Undertaker. Announce that the Undertaker will be in the Rumble. It's a battle royal so you can protect him and hide his limitations.