WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE NXT
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Who is the Most Disappointing NXT Call-Up?
Tyler Breeze 10 18.52%
Cesaro 1 1.85%
Becky Lynch 0 0%
The Ascension 22 40.74%
Baron Corbin 1 1.85%
Apollo Crews 5 9.26%
Bo Dallas 7 12.96%
Eva Marie 0 0%
Vaudevillians 1 1.85%
other (please state) 7 12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2016, 03:53 AM
Knockout Champion

S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Send a message via AIM to S.J. Maximus
Default The Most Disappointing NXT Call-Up

NXT is the breeding ground that supplies RAW and SD with their stars of the future. We have seen NXT legends come up and completely dominate the main roster, most notably with The Shield and the Four Horsewomen. Unfortunately, not every person who thrives in NXT experiences that same success in WWE, and the point of this thread is for you to tell me who you think has the most disappointing resume thus far.

You can vote on the poll but you know me, I love to hear your explanations for your picks, so please provide as many as you can. I'll hit you with my top 3:

3. Bo Dallas - For me personally, I had the highest hope for Bo out of all the call-ups so this is probably my most disappointing. He's number 3 on this list, however, because although his main roster resume sucks it's actually much better than #2 and #1's resumes. He debuted with an angle that gave him consistent mic time, and more importantly gave him a winning streak (which is a solid gold mine in pro wrestling booking). I honestly forget how many matches they let him win before having him randomly lose to R-Truth on RAW and walk down the path of jobbing. I'm sure all of you are going to deny it now but there were plenty of people who were in Bo's corner when he was atop the NXT mountain and were expecting big things from the 3rd generation superstar on the main roster. Seeing how he randomly was given a squash victory this week on RAW, maybe WWE Creative bolieve's in Bo one more time.

2.Tyler Breeze - I'd imagine this will be the guy leading the poll. Breeze IMO is a contender for greatest NXT star of all-time, he has a whole bunch of memorable matches under his belt and was consistently a top contender for the championship. A lot of people were dreaming of his main roster run as a revamped version of 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes, a gimmick that earned CR several IC title runs and a WrestleMania victory over Rey Mysterio. I think most of those people were expecting Breeze to shatter that ceiling and continue his portfolio of classic matches but that couldn't have been further from the case. I literally cannot name you one singles match he has had on RAW or SD that has lasted for more than 5 mins. He is nothing more than the sidekick to a comedic jobber, putting him in the back of a boat captained by Santino Marella to the wasteland of irrelevance. I'm not denying his talent at all, he is probably top 5 all-around male NXT call-ups ever but he simply hasn't gotten a single chance to prove that notion.

1.The Ascension - This is pretty much for the same reason as Breeze. These guys are arguably the greatest tag team in the history of NXT, and although they recently started getting air time due to the Brand Split (and 8-Team Tournament), I'm pretty sure they were not used at all in 2016. They an be found on the WWE Network on shows like Swerved and probably Main Event or Superstars but they have literally 0 cable television presence. It is actually their failure that makes me so gracious Dash & Dawson got the NXT tag titles a second time instead of getting called up. I don't think WWE Creative knows what to do with strong, physical tag teams. They can really only produce television for comedians or high-flyers, but the bruisers like the Ascension get buried and my poor Vaudevillians seem to be suffering the same fate. At least the 'villians can say they've competed for the tag team titles on ppv (multiple times) this year, have the Ascension ever even gotten a shot!?

Honorable mentions: Apollo Crews (why did they even call him up?), Baron Corbin (I'm starting to think the Andre Battle Royal is cursed), Becky Lynch (she should be seen in the same light as the other Horsewomen), Vaudevillians (see last 2 sentences of Ascension), Neville (not a single title reign for the guy who was once the longest reigning NXT champ in history)

"It's not arrogance; It's destiny."

Last edited by S.J. Maximus : 09-07-2016 at 04:03 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:01 AM
WCW TV Champion

d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I would also flip it and ask the opposite question:- Who did people find boring, a loser in NXT, and undeserving of being elevated, and yet, when they went to RAW or Smackdown, they grew and you now love this person you once hated in NXT?

I ask because most people think NXT has the midas touch, and WWE then turns them to shit once they are elevated, and yet deny that any NXT person has gotten BETTER since being on RAW or Smackdown.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:03 AM
Better Off This Way
WWE Women's Champion

Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. Artistic guy scored a win over Santino Marella...

For me the answer is Neville. A guy with plenty of potential is he's handled the wrong way and as a guy that was the guy in NXT for a good while, he's is doing actually nothing except having decent matches which will not get you anywhere if you can't separate yourself from the crowd. True, it's how Bryan got over but there was a dearth of in-ring competition at that point.

Bo Dallas had a bit of a run and mic time, being part of a faction and he does well whenever he gets a chance I believe. The Ascension are also majorly disappointing but they were probably over-hyped before they debuted and NXT wasn't quite the talent churning machine that it is now. You've only to look at Enzo and Cass to see what a really work-able tag team can do when they debut.

I have been consistently disappointed by Neville whereas I can't say for the others that I:

a) I expected much more from them

b) They had the credentials to achieve more.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:41 AM
ROH Pure Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Personally being a big fan of monster tag teams like demoiltion, l.o.d and the apa, I was and still I'm a huge fan of the ascension and I hate that when they got move up to the main roster, the creative decided that it would be a great idea to compared them to those legendary tag teams instead of just let them be the bad ass tag team they we're in nxt. I'm kinda hoping that the brand split can help them a little bit and I saw a little bit of the old ascnsion come out 2 weeks ago against the uso's but I'm not getting my hope up. Wwe drop the ball with these guy, they could have made so much money with them but they threated them as jokes from the beginning.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:21 AM
With the safety off!!
NWA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

I voted for the Ascension simply because I think fans expected the WWE to make a bigger deal out of them than they did. They were made fools of by the commentary team the night they debuted, and it's been a downhill slide ever since.

Arguably they were fantastic in NXT running through everyone, but it didn't work out for them on the main roster. The best thing that could have happened is that they were sent back down, repackaged and brought back up at a later date. It's really mindblowing though with the fact that the tag team division needed strong teams at the time, and they would have been a good addition. The way they were handled and treated though made me think that the WWE doesn't give a shit about the division as a whole.

As for the others on the list, well some of them have had disappointing runs, but hopefully with the brand split that will change. Although wrestlers like Cesaro, Breeze, and Dallas will never hold a title, they are good on the mid card, and they are featured on TV, especially Cesaro. Neville managed to get himself injured, and that will be seen as a knock against him. I don't think he was taken seriously to begin with by the WWE hierarchy.

Becky Lynch is coming into her own and has a shot at a title now, which I didn't think she did before. Not everyone in NXT is going to make it big on the main roster, what works at Full Sail may not transfer over. When I look at the Shield, Owens, Balor and to a lesser extent Zayn, very few other than Nakamura and maybe Asuka will be able to reach the main event. I even have my doubts about Corbin.

If the WWE is smart about it and don't screw it up, Bayley has the goods in the ring and out to be a huge money maker for this company. I can see her being the female Daniel Bryan. Already the pops for her are incredible and it can only get better. So with NXT you will win some and lose some that's just the way it works.

Last edited by Navi : 09-07-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie
WWE Women's Champion

stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Let me break a lot of this down: Becky Lynch is too soon to tell. The split did wonders for her. She is now the Queen Bee of the "B" show. She was never going to be much on Raw. Cesaro's problem is that they have ZERO idea in what to do with him. Keep him face? Make him heel? Make him tweener? No matter what they did, it ended with crickets. BTW, he was FCW and not NXT. He was a Laurinaitis guy.

Let's cut to the chase: Adrian Neville's problem was that he was called up too early. Unless they put him with the Cruiserweights, which should not just be on Raw, he really has nowhere to go. He has become incredibly irrelevant in the grander scheme of things. I believe that someone on this board mentioned that if he got a "Mighty Mouse"-like gimmick, he should ask for his release. Well, he got his cape. It is just sad that Neville should have been more than what he has become. Much more. That is who I chose.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Kamala316 is looking to come up from OCW...Kamala316 is looking to come up from OCW...Kamala316 is looking to come up from OCW...

My top 5 disappointments are:

#5 - Apollo Crews. He could be the next Lashley (except Uhaa actually has personality, and is way more athletic) if booked correctly. However, it's still way too early to call him a "bust".

#4 - Tyler Breeze. I never expected much from him at the main roster, but given the amount of time, resources, and camera time that has been invested in him, he's amounted to nothing.

#3 - Neville. This is the one that kills me. Super athletic, ripped, could be the poster child for proof that "a cruiserweight that can take on the heavyweights and be successful", especially with the cruiserweights going to Raw. the thing that kills me the most is how rehearsed he comes off. If they'd let the guy be himself, who knows...

#2 - Bo Dallas. For all the "success" he had in NXT, it simply did not equate to the main roster. His physical look doesn't help his cause, either.

#1 - The Ascension. Longest reigning tag champs in NXT history. Sandbagged by Vince & the commentators the moment they got called up. The Road Warrior gimmick didn't do them any favors (thanks, Vince), and Viktor looks like he spent a weekend binge eating at a Tim Horton's.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:10 PM

Kunztown is looking to come up from OCW...
Default lots of letdowns... however lots of time

Remember when the Hardyz use to be jobbers week in and week out back in the 80's. I do.... It wasn't until they became paired with the Brood until they became a star team. These Nxt stars may of been flops so far, but all it takes is the right gimmick, change for them to be awesome. Look at "the new day" for example..... they sucked when they first became a team.... So all it takes is the right storyline..... Lots of failures with stars is blamed on the creative... For example.. Wade Barrett had a great gimmick with Bad News.... then it was thrown away and the king gimmick was his downfall...
Old 09-07-2016, 01:20 PM

Boubou79 is looking to come up from OCW...Boubou79 is looking to come up from OCW...

My vote would go to The Ascension because they were so dominant in NXT and when they came up they were a joke. They should change their characters, give them a star to protect and do a storyline where they are like bodyguards for a while. Build them up for a while like that. Then go back to tag team matches and feud for the title. They still have a chance...
Old 09-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Registered Suplex Offender
WWE Diva's Champion

Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Cesaro wasn't an NXT call-up so much as he was called down for a time. Cesaro went from FCW (pre-cursor to NXT) to WWE where he worked for a few years befreo NXT. His time in NXT was a call down.

I'd say it's a toss up between Ascension and Breeze. Both were very over in NXT and were pushed initially on the main roster before becoming jokes and falling off the face of the earth.

Basically everyone on this list have been victims of how they've been pushed. Apollo Crews has been a masterclass in how to not get someone over. His push has been bland at best while his agility in the ring is incredible. He's definitely suffering from the Rocky Maivia type of push. I wonder how long before the crowd turns on him?

Ascension weren't allowed to be themselves, therefore they became a joke. As talent, they're highly salvageable. As diet-LOD, not so much.

Dallas and the Vaudevillains were never going to go that far. Dallas doesn't have the size, and neither do Gotch or English. The Villains are never going to be pushed as singles guys.

Neville is missing from this list. He'd be doing a lot better if he had a first name. Neville isn't really someone to get behind. Isn't that the name of Harry Potter's oafish friend?

Corbin is fine, but they've oddly haven't given him much since the draft. He should be in a feud, but he's not for whatever reason.

I'd say overall it's Tyler Breeze. He has so much potential, but he's stuck in a jobber tag team with Fandango. It's never too late for anyone, but the way things are going aren't good. I'd almost like to see him go back to NXT.

I'm giving a runner up to Apollo Crews. I've found his main roster run boring and dogged by bad booking. His theme is cheesy and the pushing him as a future big player isn't winning him a very big crowd reaction. He's jobbing to the stars and would be better suited as a heel.