WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Non-Wrestling Non Spam Sections > The Sports Arena
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-29-2016, 01:46 PM
NaNoWriMo'17 50,000 words in 30days
WWE European Champion

Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank N Steins_Gate
Default The Colin Kaepernick Controversy

The Colin Kaepernick situation

For those unaware recently during a preseason game during the singing of the National Anthem Colin refused to stand. When asked why he said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Kaepernick
I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.
Since then there has been quite the backlash from both his colleagues in the NFL to fans all over the country who have gone so far to buy his Jersey and burn it on Instagram. Others are defending Colin while condemning the people who are burning his jersey.

I absolutely hate what he did and I don't buy for a second the reason he gave for doing it but at the same time he's well within his right as an American citizen to do this but at the same time it's well within the right of the people to show their displeasure any way they choose from boycotting the 49ers if he's playing to burning his jersey.

What say all you guys about this?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Behold my diction
WCW TV Champion

enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...

This is one of those issues where everybody is ready to wave their "bullshit" flags for whatever response they observe.

We're able to stay mostly anonymous on this forum, so I hope that I can share my honest opinion without completely ruining my life.

Colin stated why he chose not to stand, and -- to me -- it's a legitimate reason to protest. We all have different experiences and perspectives that we can't control, but we can at least try to empathize. I don't think that we should all bend over backwards on Colin's behalf, but I think that we should at least listen to what he has to say.

To the people burning his jersey, fuck those idiots. They have every right to do that, just like I have every right to wear a devil mask to church. Where Colin is trying to bring awareness to what he sees as apathy toward deaths involving African Americans, they're burning his jersey in an attempt to showboat how ridiculously jingoistic they are.

Not standing for the National Anthem isn't as big a deal as systemic racism in American society, but while the meatheads film themselves grunting out something resembling English as they set fire to a shirt they're only proving where their priorities lie. Colin didn't burn the American flag or praise Osama Bin Laden, he sat in protest of an issue that the idiots who burned his jersey are willing to ignore on behalf of getting to flex on camera. Seriously; if it's your priority to burn his jersey that's fine, recording yourself doing it is just fucking stupid.

Things are getting pretty crazy on social media with new revelations regarding Francis Scott Key's other verse to the National Anthem that went like this:

Quote:
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
Basically; slaves who decided to defect to the British in exchange for freedom were being painted as traitors. I don't know if what's expected is that the entire anthem be replaced, or if our government just acknowledge that there had been a pro-slavery element to the US National Anthem. I personally don't like that the discussion on social media has gone this way, but that's where it is now.

I think that Colin would be willing to stand for the national anthem if he sees efforts to increase funding for education, reform criminal justice and impose stronger penalties in regard to racially biased hiring practices. I feel that the discussion should at least address his concerns, and that people recording themselves burning his jersey should go get a life.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...

To go to the lengths of burning his shirt is pretty stupid. From what I can gather the guy has a legitimate reason to take a stand. Like Envious said burning it doesn't achieve anything regarding the issue at hand.

There's a similar issue over here where a footballer named James Mclaen I think it is refuses to wear a poppy for Remembrance Sunday. His reason being that his family suffered during the the Bloody Sunday massacre. He says he it's not right for him to wear that poppy after what happened. He gets a shit load of abuse for his beliefs and I just don't get why people get so pissed off over it and take the time out to be dicks about it.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:00 PM
SHALL WE BEGIN?
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...

I don't have the time or passion to dedicate to this because I honestly could not give a shit less.

Its his right to stand or not, its everyone else's right to think and say he is an asshole over it.

There are ways to go about saying what he wants to say without offending and disrespecting millions of people, but whatever....maybe those people shouldn't be so easily offended.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:30 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.
A country that oppresses black people and people of color?!?? Is this the same guy that goes home to his mansion every night? I think he sounds ignorant saying this country oppresses black people when he gets paid more than most white people will make in their lifetimes. He should read about the civil rights movement, the history of South Africa or visit North Korea or Cuba and find out what real oppression is.

What is his opinion on out of control black on black violence, or the absence of fathers in the black home? What about the lack of education among minorities? Why aren't Asian people being oppressed in the same manner as blacks. They were discriminated against during World War II. Maybe he should look in the mirror,
Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

nwocongo worked a dark match on ECW recently...nwocongo worked a dark match on ECW recently...nwocongo worked a dark match on ECW recently...nwocongo worked a dark match on ECW recently...nwocongo worked a dark match on ECW recently...nwocongo worked a dark match on ECW recently...nwocongo worked a dark match on ECW recently...nwocongo worked a dark match on ECW recently...nwocongo worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I am also of the "I don't really give a shit what an athlete/celeb thinks" camp but it's a hot issue. He was well within his rights and I understand and echo SOME of his sentiments (continuation of crooked police policies with little to no repercussions) however I don't think he went about it the right way. He says it's not a publicity stunt but he clearly wants attention and wants to be asked why he isn't standing, and seriously how relevant has Colin Kaepernick the Football player been the last two seasons? Rather than perpetuate the negativity by trolling pissed off redneck football fans, he could do more positive things in these "oppressed" communities. I know of at least one charitable cause, he does that Camp Taylor thing for children with heart disease, but I still question how much he does to help these "oppressed" communities he talks about, and please do inform me if I'm wrong and he has done more in impoverished communities than I am aware of.

I would have this to say to Kaepernick or any celebrity/millionaire who claims to be standing up for a cause: Rather than continue to protest by disrespecting the flag (which honestly achieves very little or is counter productive in the grand scheme of things) why not get out and practice what you preach? You have the platform and means to do so. Go to the City Halls in these communities and protest there, not on the sidelines. Build parks and youth centers in these communities, establish charitable programs to educate and uplift these communities, spend the off season speaking and working in these communities, do something positive for the people you're "standing up for" instead of protesting about it and giving the naysayers more reason to hate. I know people who don't make 6+ figures who actually do things like this, not because they want to be social justice warriors or celebrated humanitarians in the media, but because they actually care about the people and communities they claim to be concerned about.

As for his detractors they are also well within their rights to disagree and rescind their support. As for burning his shit on Instagram, that too is within their rights, I think it's silly as all hell because who bought that merch? Not Colin Kaepernick but I digress. It's an election year so any social tensions and polarizing topics are magnified ten fold. If only people got half as passionate about other things like their families and communities as they do football, oh well.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:24 AM
Knockout Champion

rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...

His timing for such a protest comes during a questionable time. Where was the outrage a few seasons ago when he was on top of the world? I guess he has had a lot of time to review political views now that he has been demoted and looking at possibly being cut all together.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:21 PM
My fave wrestler is Dirk Diggler.
WCW TV Champion

Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Spidey #2

lf only people got riled up for domestic abuse, rape allegations, and drug use in sports as they do for an athlete not being patriotic. Let's burn jerseys for how shit a player is to animals and the like for once.

It's a no-win debate. People of color are oppressed. Not standing for the flag is disrespectful for the people that defend our country. We have gotten soft when it comes to what offends us. If dude really cared, he could have went on a hunger strike, tied himself to the gridiron, or straight up led a walk-out. Kids at school sit down for the Pledge and it's not all that a big of a deal.

What I'm saying is protest has gotten weak and so have our backbones.

The hippies were tougher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kerouac - On The Road
Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:51 PM
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion

SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom

I love what he has to say, however, I hate the way he's gone about saying it.

He can't blame the entire country for the sins of a few. That, in and of itself is akin to racism. Just because there are a lot of racist assholes out there doesn't mean our country supports them and although I do agree that some of those officers basically got away with murder, I don't think that that's something our country supports. The very reason that he's able to sit during our national anthem is reason enough to celebrate our country.

I think he's right in what he's saying, but I also think that his actions pretty much spit in the face of those who have fought and died for the rights that he and the rest of us obviously employ and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Unregistered User
Mr. Money in the Bank

JGlass is a United States Champion...JGlass is a United States Champion...JGlass is a United States Champion...JGlass is a United States Champion...JGlass is a United States Champion...JGlass is a United States Champion...JGlass is a United States Champion...JGlass is a United States Champion...JGlass is a United States Champion...JGlass is a United States Champion...JGlass is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
A country that oppresses black people and people of color?!?? Is this the same guy that goes home to his mansion every night? I think he sounds ignorant saying this country oppresses black people when he gets paid more than most white people will make in their lifetimes. He should read about the civil rights movement, the history of South Africa or visit North Korea or Cuba and find out what real oppression is.

What is his opinion on out of control black on black violence, or the absence of fathers in the black home? What about the lack of education among minorities? Why aren't Asian people being oppressed in the same manner as blacks. They were discriminated against during World War II. Maybe he should look in the mirror,
You're a racist piece of shit and I hope a parasitic worm crawls up your dick.

1) Just because he is a black man and makes more money does not mean black people are not oppressed. To suggest that he shouldn't care about his community just because he is doing well is moronic.

2) Just because things have been worse for black people at different times or places in the world doesn't mean black people aren't oppressed in this country. They may be less oppressed than before, but there are still loads of oppressive laws, policies, and cultural norms.

3) Black on black violence is a problem. It is not the problem he is addressing. Criticizing him for addressing the oppression of black people instead of black on black crime would be like criticizing Gandhi for addressing the oppression of the Indian people instead of Hindu/Muslim tensions.

4) Asian people were never held as slaves in the United States for hundreds of years and then forced to live under overtly oppressive laws for about a hundred more.

Maybe you should read a history book. Or take a common sense enema.