WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE NXT
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-04-2016, 12:11 AM
Dog The Bounty Hunter

Dr. Mantis Toboggan, M.D. is looking to come up from OCW...Dr. Mantis Toboggan, M.D. is looking to come up from OCW...Dr. Mantis Toboggan, M.D. is looking to come up from OCW...Dr. Mantis Toboggan, M.D. is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Bobby Roode is an A+ Player

Bobby Roode made his televised debut tonight on NXT. How good does he look? He walks and talks like an established main event talent. This guy is going to skyrocket in NXT and I see him as a top name on whatever brand he goes to in the future. Bobby is a short term talent for NXT and I see him coming up to the main roster within the next 9 months. He's going to do just a well as AJ Styles has been doing since his debut. This is fantastic seeing top TNA guys coming over to WWE. What did you think of Bobby's debut and what does the future hold for him in the WWE?
Old 08-04-2016, 01:33 AM
Anti-Christ of Pro Wrestling
WWE Diva's Champion

Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...

Hmm...If I'm being honest I didn't think it was the greatest debut. I feel like there was probably a more (pardon the pun) impactful way to debut him.

Granted I do feel AJ is a much bigger star, but I was just telling my friend last night how even though AJ is doing some of the best work of his career, imagine how much hotter he could be right now if they hadn't jobbed him out at all of those PPVs when he debuted. Imagine if he'd actually won the Rumble in his debut in Orlando, it would've been HUGE and unforgettable.

Right now with the Smack Down roster being so much visibly weaker than Raws, especially if Wyatt just went out with an injury, Roode could've made a big play there if he interrupted the main event of the first ever SD exclusive PPV. Or maybe if he and Aires, Joe, E. Young, and AJ all did a TNA invasion of SD, or even to debut him in a surprise at Takeover Brooklyn 2.

But to basically have him come out to a...odd...new theme song, on a regular episode of NXT with minimal fan fare, and then cut the classic "start out face, and then hit the crowd with weak insults" promo, just didn't really do much for me. He's bigger than that, and this debut didn't feel like it. He's too big/experienced for NXT, if they'd at least debuted him at a Takeover, it would've been in front of a bigger crowd that would've made the moment feel big like it did for Nakamura, but this just wasn't enough for someone of his stature.

I know everyone loves NXT and views it as a third brand, but it really should be developmental. The real top tier talent (which he is) need to be on the main roster, especially with thing being so thin on the SD roster, he should've bypassed this altogether. It will never leave the same impression coming up from NXT as it would to just go straight to the roster, look at AJ and the Club as prime examples.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:59 AM
what the fuck is a
WCW TV Champion

Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...

It's cool and a nice way to debut. The entrance theme is intriguing and thats alright. I am sure he will work upper soon, but the problem in NXT is that they are so damn unfaithful in full sail.

The moment a new global indy star walks in, they just cheer for that guy. Happened with Neville as champ when Zayn came in, Zayn/Balor, Balor/Nakamura. Bastards.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:08 AM

swallop is looking to come up from OCW...

How can you think that..? Not trolling but that was the WORST promo Ive ever heard before from anyone... I never really watched TNA so im sure there is worse but as far as comparing it to anything ive ever heard form the WWE/WWF id say all time worst. The whole crowd popped at the beginning but as soon as he started talking nobody cared. They started booing him even before he "turned heel".. It was god awful painful to watch. Idc who he faces at Takeover i just hope they dont job out Tye to him..
Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 AM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charismatic Enigma View Post
I know everyone loves NXT and views it as a third brand, but it really should be developmental. The real top tier talent (which he is) need to be on the main roster, especially with thing being so thin on the SD roster, he should've bypassed this altogether. It will never leave the same impression coming up from NXT as it would to just go straight to the roster, look at AJ and the Club as prime examples.
As far as NXT being the developmental brand, it still is to a major degree but it's also become something else simultaneously that wasn't intended. The opportunity for NXT to be the developmental brand and more simultaneously was something that was there and WWE took advantage of it.

As for Roode, I can see both sides of the issue. Roode is a long time veteran who's been a major player for TNA for quite a long while, same as Samoa Joe really. The thing is that unlike Styles & the Club, there really hasn't been a ton of buzz surrounding Roode for a few years. Karl Anderson was an established tag team star in New Japan whereas Styles & Gallows left TNA and wound up doing some of the best work of their careers in ways that generated a lot of positive buzz. AJ Styles and Anderson & Gallows were among the most consistently and positively talked about wrestlers in the business while they were in New Japan whereas Bobby Roode had just been spinning his wheels in TNA. The most talked about aspects of TNA, for the most part, of the past few years has revolved around discussion on how badly it's struggling financially, its fall to drawing roughly a third of the audience it was drawing at its peak and guesses as to when it will close down. Roode won TNA's KOTM Championship but nobody really cared. He had a 2.5 month tag title run with Austin Aries 3.5 years ago that hardly anyone remembers and he had a 5th tag title run with James Storm earlier this year but the glory days of Beer Money are gone. So yeah, the guy's basically been spinning his wheels in TNA whereas Styles was making headlines in Japan and injecting fresh life into his career. Truth be told, if the buzz that Styles, Anderson & Gallows hadn't been there from the time they spent in New Japan, they'd have gone to NXT if WWE was even interested in signing them like Joe and Roode.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 08-04-2016, 09:11 AM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

What I found hilarious was that some of the marks in Full Sail were still kind of cheering when Roode began to turn, as if they didn't realize that he was actually ripping on them. "You people NEED Bobby Roode"... *confused cheer*. "I'm going to bring this crowd to the next level!"... *more confused cheers*. It seemed like he just said fuck it and went straight for the jugular after that. Dunno, just found that kind of funny...

Anyway, it was a good start for Booby Roode. He came off as a legitimate top-tier talent, which he has always shown to be, and didn't stumble once in a pretty lengthy promo segment. Positioning himself as the man who's going to be "at the forefront of the new NXT" is a good way to make him feel like a big deal straight out of the gate, although I wish they just cut the gimmicky aspects out of it. Saying he's going to bring NXT to wall-street and that president's were going to be in the crowd soon was a little hokey and gives me the feeling that his character is going to be akin to an arrogant philanthropist (for lack of a better word). Guys like Joe, Aries, Owens, hell even Eric Young all came in and basically just played themselves... I don't really get why Bobby Roode would be treated any differently.

Still, it's only been one week so I could be jumping to conclusions, I'm just hoping his character isn't too gimmicky. Also, I'm kind of surprised they turned him heel right away when Joe and Aries are already top level bad guys. Starting off as a face probably would have given him more momentum to start his run but it is what it is. NXT needs main event talent especially with rumors of Samoa Joe getting the call so I expect Roode to be stuck there for a long time yet.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... his theme is fucking GLORIOUS. The more I listen to it, the more I like it.

Last edited by OYDK : 08-04-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:20 AM
what the fuck is a
WCW TV Champion

Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...

That just plain sweet man. Him coming out in them robes with this music does fill a piece of the puzzle called 'over'. He is has always been a confident speaker, and NXT is basically the land of ' I did well outside, I'm a star', but this Glorious Domination has a taste of pazzaz that I like.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Behold my diction
WCW TV Champion

enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...

Thank goodness they're actually trying to keep NXT relevant. With Bobby Roode, Shinsuke Nakamura and Samoa Joe in the title mix, I'm probably going to be more excited about NXT than any other WWE programming.

I think it was smart to debut him as a heel, in that he likely knew that the gullible NXT crowd will welcome him with a face reaction. He has the experience needed to make the crowd play along, and they eventually caught on.

What I love about Bobby Roode is he seems like a genuine person. I don't feel like I'm watching a guy ham it up for a cheap reaction, the look in his eyes tells me that he's damn passionate about the sport and that he's not just reciting a script.

I hope that his time in NXT is short lived. Obviously it's a wise move to debut some people on NXT so everyone can be absolutely certain that they'll break the internet when they get called up, but I don't think that Bobby Roode is going to require too much time to prove that he can generate buzz.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 PM
The voice of Michael Cole's headset
WWE Diva's Champion

therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charismatic Enigma View Post
Granted I do feel AJ is a much bigger star, but I was just telling my friend last night how even though AJ is doing some of the best work of his career, imagine how much hotter he could be right now if they hadn't jobbed him out at all of those PPVs when he debuted. Imagine if he'd actually won the Rumble in his debut in Orlando, it would've been HUGE and unforgettable.
Good lord no. Sure the main event of Reigns vs HHH sucked but AJ was not ready to be put in that position. AJ's mic work has only recently begun to grow. He needed to be introduced to everyone first (maybe 1/3 of the audience knew him and that's being generous). You could have a guy come in and win a title right away but that won't get him over.

The pop he got was due to where the PPV was. His subsequent pops where much smaller because it took time to build him up.

Quote:
Right now with the Smack Down roster being so much visibly weaker than Raws, especially if Wyatt just went out with an injury, Roode could've made a big play there if he interrupted the main event of the first ever SD exclusive PPV. Or maybe if he and Aires, Joe, E. Young, and AJ all did a TNA invasion of SD, or even to debut him in a surprise at Takeover Brooklyn 2.
Roode is not a big name. Also a TNA invasion angle would be incredibly dumb. This would not be anything like the NWO. All the guys are not very well known. Shocking debuts do not make people interesting. You'd also run into the problem of needing to introduce each guy which takes a lot of time and would clog up SD.

Quote:
But to basically have him come out to a...odd...new theme song, on a regular episode of NXT with minimal fan fare, and then cut the classic "start out face, and then hit the crowd with weak insults" promo, just didn't really do much for me. He's bigger than that, and this debut didn't feel like it. He's too big/experienced for NXT, if they'd at least debuted him at a Takeover, it would've been in front of a bigger crowd that would've made the moment feel big like it did for Nakamura, but this just wasn't enough for someone of his stature.
He is not bigger than that. NXT needs guys as well who can help younger guys out. They also need guys to carry the brand. WWE does have a style that is different and training down in NXT can help them get more comfortable.

Quote:
It is developmental that is disguised as a 3rd brand. Roode is not anywhere near a top tier WWE talent (not even close to being that popular). Roode is 40 and has been on a show averaging 300-500k viewers for the past few years. WWE averages over 3 million in the US. Casuals probably have near zero knowledge of Roode.

The Club has been very meh so far. Styles has picked up his game recently.
Rock: IT DOESN'T MATTER
Old 08-06-2016, 04:01 AM

Darkshadow1234 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockiswwf View Post
Good lord no. Sure the main event of Reigns vs HHH sucked but AJ was not ready to be put in that position. AJ's mic work has only recently begun to grow. He needed to be introduced to everyone first (maybe 1/3 of the audience knew him and that's being generous). You could have a guy come in and win a title right away but that won't get him over.

The pop he got was due to where the PPV was. His subsequent pops where much smaller because it took time to build him up.

Roode is not a big name. Also a TNA invasion angle would be incredibly dumb. This would not be anything like the NWO. All the guys are not very well known. Shocking debuts do not make people interesting. You'd also run into the problem of needing to introduce each guy which takes a lot of time and would clog up SD.

He is not bigger than that. NXT needs guys as well who can help younger guys out. They also need guys to carry the brand. WWE does have a style that is different and training down in NXT can help them get more comfortable.

It is developmental that is disguised as a 3rd brand. Roode is not anywhere near a top tier WWE talent (not even close to being that popular). Roode is 40 and has been on a show averaging 300-500k viewers for the past few years. WWE averages over 3 million in the US. Casuals probably have near zero knowledge of Roode.

The Club has been very meh so far. Styles has picked up his game recently.
Disagree with you on the part that Roode isn't a big name. or a top tier talent.