WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE Pay Per Views
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 07-25-2016, 10:15 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...
Default WWE SummerSlam: WWE Universal Championship - Finn Balor VS Seth Rollins

It was announced on Raw tonight that WWE is creating a new World Championship exclusively for Raw: the WWE Universal Championship. The first champion will be crowned at SummerSlam with Seth Rollins being added automatically to the match; after winning a fatal fourway match earlier in the night and by defeating Roman Reigns in the main event, who also won a fatal fourway of his own, NXT call up Finn Balor squares off against Rollins at SummerSlam for a potential show stealer.

Instinctively, my gut tells me that Rollins scores the win but, then again, I didn't really expect Finn Balor to be in this spot. I honestly expected WWE to go the route of having Reigns be the second participant only to lose to Rollins at SummerSlam. Balor winning the title would definitely feel like a moment happening in a "new era" as Rollins has been a major player in WWE for the better part of 3 years. At any rate, this is a definite marquee match that could wind up stealing the show at SummerSlam.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:47 PM
R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(
WWE European Champion

L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...

As I said in the LD, RAW has Reigns, Rollins and a part-timer in Brock Lesnar as their legit Main Event talents. Thus, they absolutely have to establish at least 3 other guys in quick time and make them seem like legit threats to the aforementioned trio, and tonight, with a huge debut push for Finn Balor, they definitely signalled their intentions to do just that.

Also, tonight was mainly wrestling based, so there isn't a very clear indications as to how the Authority figures will treat Balor going forward, thus, I'll wait and see how things play out come next week before making a prediction of who wins.

It will also be interesting to see which direction Roman Reigns goes after tonight. His post-match interview putting over Balor and signalling his intention to get back in the title hunt was on the babyface side, however, I do hope it was a smokescreen, and we get a new Roman Reigns soon enough, preferably as a Top Heel.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:31 PM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larisano View Post
As I said in the LD, RAW has Reigns, Rollins and a part-timer in Brock Lesnar as their legit Main Event talents. Thus, they absolutely have to establish at least 3 other guys in quick time and make them seem like legit threats to the aforementioned trio, and tonight, with a huge debut push for Finn Balor, they definitely signalled their intentions to do just that.
Chris Jericho, The Big Show, and Sheamus are main event talents. Just because WWE has an intense hatred of veteran talents the last few years, doesn't change that. Two weeks of good booking and any of those guys are instantly at the top of the card again. Rusev and Cesaro could also conceivably be moved into the main event scene very easily.

RAW is in much better shape than SmackDown, who have Dean Ambrose, John Cena, Randy Orton (who's injured so much he's barely worth more than Lesnar), and then IF they pushed them, they could potentially remake main event Superstars out of The Miz, Dolph Ziggler, Alberto Del Rio, and Kane.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:40 PM
R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(
WWE European Champion

L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...L@RISANO is getting phone calls from TNA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman6686 View Post
Chris Jericho, The Big Show, and Sheamus are main event talents. Just because WWE has an intense hatred of veteran talents the last few years, doesn't change that. Two weeks of good booking and any of those guys are instantly at the top of the card again. Rusev and Cesaro could also conceivably be moved into the main event scene very easily.

RAW is in much better shape than SmackDown, who have Dean Ambrose, John Cena, Randy Orton (who's injured so much he's barely worth more than Lesnar), and then IF they pushed them, they could potentially remake main event Superstars out of The Miz, Dolph Ziggler, Alberto Del Rio, and Kane.
All 3 of those are past their sell-by date and the majority of fans have no interest in seeing them fighting for the top titles any longer. Their job is to put over and "shine up" guys like Finn Balor who are the ones that will be tasked with fighting for the top belt in the near future.
Rusev and Cesaro are definitely two options who might well be elevated, alongwith KO and Sami Zayn. However, we will all have to wait and see how WWE views them going forward.

As for SmackDown, Ambrose is current WWE Champion, and the other 3 Top Guys, namely, John Cena, AJ Styles and Randy Orton are all established and fresh feuds for Dean Ambrose. Thus, SmackDown seems pretty much covered in the Main Event scene post-SummerSlam at this point. Ntm, there is also Bray Wyatt waiting in the wings for a possible push as well.
Ziggler and the Miz could also be two guys who might get chances again to make the jump as well.

I know you have a liking for the experienced guys, but you have to understand that the majority of fans are jaded with those guys, and would rather not see them in the Main Event spots at this time, whatwith WWE branding it a "New Era" for the company.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:55 PM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larisano View Post
All 3 of those are past their sell-by date and the majority of fans have no interest in seeing them fighting for the top titles any longer. Their job is to put over and "shine up" guys like Finn Balor who are the ones that will be tasked with fighting for the top belt in the near future.
Rusev and Cesaro are definitely two options who might well be elevated, alongwith KO and Sami Zayn. However, we will all have to wait and see how WWE views them going forward.

As for SmackDown, Ambrose is current WWE Champion, and the other 3 Top Guys, namely, John Cena, AJ Styles and Randy Orton are all established and fresh feuds for Dean Ambrose. Thus, SmackDown seems pretty much covered in the Main Event scene post-SummerSlam at this point. Ntm, there is also Bray Wyatt waiting in the wings for a possible push as well.
Ziggler and the Miz could also be two guys who might get chances again to make the jump as well.

I know you have a liking for the experienced guys, but you have to understand that the majority of fans are jaded with those guys, and would rather not see them in the Main Event spots at this time, whatwith WWE branding it a "New Era" for the company.
Jericho is still outwrestling 99% of the roster on a nightly basis. If casuals aren't willing to accept him as a main event talent, I really pity them. I'd rather watch him than just about anyone else. I'd happily have Jericho on SmackDown and give up some of these no-name guys like Mojo Rawley and Baron Corbin.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:11 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
ROH Pure Champion

Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...

This is so awesome. Legitimately awesome. I mean, first of all, just this match. Forget all the context (other than that it's for a world title, I suppose) and just think about Finn Balor vs Seth Rollins. Two NXT legends, two of the best wrestlers in the world right now, two guys who are white hot, two guys who will work perfectly in their face/heel roles for this match, the stage of SummerSlam - I mean, seriously, how perfect is it? This is the kind of stuff from which five star matches are born.

But the context surrounding it makes it somehow even sweet. In the era of Roman Reigns we've been subjected to the weight of his sheer inevitability - from the moment he won the Royal Rumble in 2015, it felt like we were only a few minutes away from suffocating under the weight of the Roman Empire. And indeed, probably the best moments in that time have come from the WWE actually listening and doing the opposite of that. Crowning Seth Rollins at WrestleMania 31 instead of Roman was amazing. I mean, honestly, even Sheamus stealing the title from Roman after his first win was amazing. But the inevitable was inevitable and Roman won and it was almost as bad as I thought it would be. His crowning at Wrestlemania 32 was awful; his title reign was only propped up by feuding with the best wrestler in the world - and then he blew it and got suspended. And each loss by Roman has felt more and more like we're finally out from underneath the inevitable Roman Reigns. Rollins winning was one thing - he was the only guy in the company who came close to Roman's stature at that point. Then Ambrose won and it felt like we at least had had a small reversal in course. But putting Finn over Roman is a screaming signal that maybe, just maybe, this is over. Instead of Roman challenging for the title, he put over a brand new NXT guy with all the hype in the world, 100% clean.

This match is amazing not just because it's a matchup between two of the best, hottest guys in the world right now - it's also amazing because it represents the first time since before Survivor Series 2015 that we're not telling the story of Roman Reigns that nobody wanted to hear. We're telling a different story now, and that's exciting and risky and the shot in the arm the WWE has needed creatively all year.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:18 AM
X-Pac Rules
Knockout Champion

Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...Mantaur Rodeo Clown is getting some looks on Smackdown...

If you were ever going to do a double turn, this is probably the time to do it. Fans have been dying to cheer Rollins for months now. He's right on that line of tweener.

Meanwhile, you have Finn who is red hot coming up from NXT, but is a MUCH better heel than he is a face. I think he even showed glimpses of it tonight in his pre-match segment with Roman.

The Club run in, steals a victory for Finn. Seth becomes plucky underdog, Finn becomes top shit heel. This transitions nicely into a Roman Reigns redemption storyline where he has to beat heel Finn to get the title back and CONTINUE THE ROMAN EMPIRE - BELIEVE THAT

"The Backstage Phenom" Sin Cara: 3-0 in Catering
Old 07-26-2016, 02:44 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Dragonslayer worked a dark match on ECW recently...Dragonslayer worked a dark match on ECW recently...Dragonslayer worked a dark match on ECW recently...Dragonslayer worked a dark match on ECW recently...Dragonslayer worked a dark match on ECW recently...Dragonslayer worked a dark match on ECW recently...Dragonslayer worked a dark match on ECW recently...Dragonslayer worked a dark match on ECW recently...Dragonslayer worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Yesterday I posted that I was unsure as to who would be facing Dean Ambrose for the WHC as I had been expecting Rollins and Reigns to continue their feud for a #1 contendership. Now well, this has obviously been thrown out the window by introducing the "Universal" championship... Yeah ok, I guess it had been coming, though I'm still not a fan of having 2 top tier champions, despite the brand split. But I digress...

It still does surprise me that they would push Finn Balor into that spot this quickly. Rollins sure, he has been a main roster mainstay & main event player for a while now, and is very over... Balor, while beloved in NXT, might not evoke that same reception yet for the more casual fans; so Rollins vs Balor might not have that marquee power yet. It will, however, be a phenomenal match and probably the show stealer in any case. I don't see any chance for Ambrose vs anyone (be it Cena/Styles/Orton/Wyatt/whoever) matching that.

It's a bold choice by WWE for their second biggest show of the year, and arguably their (new) main title... I'm definitely excited to see the match, but would expect Rollins to win it. Unless they go for a double turn, in which case Balor should win (perhaps by intervention from the Club), aligning Balor with Gallows/Anderson... and perhaps setting up an eventual showdown between Club-Balor and AJ Styles (who might return to Raw as the "slighted" former leader who now got replaced by the "usurper" Balor).

In any case, intriguing match.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:07 AM
Fuck erbody but me
X-Division Champion

Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via MSN to Nate DaMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman6686 View Post
Chris Jericho, The Big Show, and Sheamus are main event talents. Just because WWE has an intense hatred of veteran talents the last few years, doesn't change that. Two weeks of good booking and any of those guys are instantly at the top of the card again.
Jericho can be a main eventer for a PPV or 2, sure. Of the three you've mentioned, he's the only one with any sort of heat. Sheamus has been a dead duck since WM28, failing to come even close to his previous popularity levels. Look at his title run last year. Nobody cared.

Big Show is just done. I don't even mean that in an insulting way, I just think that he's been overexposed to the point that the only way for him to drum any real interest in the product is to book him in attraction type matches. Big Show vs. Shaq at Wrestlemania? Lots of press, lots of buzz. Big Show vs. Rollins at Summerslam? Nobody cares. Just look at the last few times he's had big PPV matches. The match with Reigns was awesome but other than that, it's all snoozers.

Quote:
Rusev and Cesaro could also conceivably be moved into the main event scene very easily.
I agree but I gotta say, I'm shocked to see you say this. Here's a direct quote from you:

Quote:
Rusev is still awful in the ring and will be jobbing on Superstars within a year
Link for source. That was almost 2 years ago. Do you not see the irony here? He ran through all of the veterans that you love so dearly (and who most people don't care about any more) and you raged all over the boards about it. Now, you think that he can be moved to the main event scene easily. You starting to understand how booking works now? All of those wins gave him credibility.

Quote:
They also have Wyatt and Styles who, despite your personal feelings, are more popular than any of those guys. Styles is widely considered the best wrestler in the world right now. Wyatt has suffered multiple setbacks but still remains popular.

The Miz is perfect where he's at. He doesn't have enough heat to justify moving him up the card and they've booked him extremely well since WM.

We've gone back and forth on Ziggler forever but since I'm trying to keep this civil for once, I'll just say he stinks and leave it at that.

Del Rio, when motivated, is excellent. I think that if they turned him face and built him up to be the guy to take the title off of Miz, he could improve his stock immensely and move back up the card. I don't see it happening though.

Kane: see Big Show.

-------------------------------------------

As for the topic at hand, I was very happy with the show tonight and Balor getting the clean win over Reigns was definitely the icing on the cake. I definitely think that whatever Smackdown comes up with as their main event at Summerslam, likely Ambrose/Cena or Ambrose/Styles, will definitely end up being the more marquee matchup. Hell, Orton/Lesnar may even end up closing the show. But this match is probably going to steal the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
I'm not big on the ethnic groups.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:50 AM
People Like Me, We Don't Play
ROH Pure Champion

FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...FunKay the Inevitable is a United States Champion...

While looks can be deceiving and it has been widely reported that Vince wants to make Rollins the greatest heel of his generation, I suspect we're about to embark on Balor's rocket push. He's got the look, the skills, he's got the crowd reaction and the all round 'it' factor. Some will say his promos leave a lot to be desired as a babyface, but at the end of the day when you look like that and can pull "The Demon" out for the big matches, I don't think a whole lot of talking is needed.

With Reigns now apparently out of the 'top of the pile' position and Raw in need of some strong, fresh babyface singles stars, I think we're looking at Finn's ascent to the top of the card. He's got a strong heel to play off of in Rollins and if nothing else, their matches are going to be stellar. Them going back and forth through the autumn and into the winter could be a lot of fun and with the two being considered the future of the company, I expect to see this pairing a whole lot more in the coming months and years ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
THis guy gets it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Legend.