WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE Pay Per Views
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 05-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Diva's Champion

BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default Stage Setups Shouldn't Matter At All

I mean really. Why do people complain about this? I see people complain about this all the time. Not so much here, but other places around the internet.

Quote:
This is driving me nuts! . . . something so simple but WWE just refuses to do it. They're so lazy. The stage is what makes PPV's unique but it was basically the exact same stage we see on RAW.
Just shut the fuck up. Please.

It costs a hell of lot of money for WWE to make every single fucking thing unique when they didn't need to and when they went ahead with doing this, 99% of the audience didn't even seem to notice, let alone care. At the end of the day, while yes, it may suck aesthetically, you're really only paying for and paying attention to what's happening in a backstage promo or what happens in that ring and not to the presentation of everything. So it's really just not about the presentation, it's about the actual wrestling. And it's not the end of the world or that big of a deal like people want to believe that it is, plus it clearly saves them money that they had wasted before doing so.

So my bottom line here is that stage setups for anything other than WrestleMania simply just shouldn't matter. It is not, never has been, and never will be about presentation. Saves money. No need for an elaborate stage. What counts is the product in the ring.

End of story.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love
Knockout Champion

Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Dude, just no. Stage setups go a long way in making a show feel special. I can't stand how everything is so standardized now. Even Summerslam, the second biggest show of the year, has fallen victim to this. I hate it.

I'm an artist at heart. I enjoy variety. I enjoy creativity. WWE used to create some seriously cool set designs that added another memorable element to their events. The giant throne at King of the Ring. Night of Champions' championship banners. Cyber Sunday/Taboo Tuesday's computer/keyboard stage. Money in the Bank's giant briefcase-esque titantron. Pay-per-views are supposed to be big deals, but that's harder to buy when it's aesthetically identical to any given Raw or Smackdown. Even NXT often alters their sets with the Takeovers.

They don't need to get super elaborate like Wrestlemania, but would it kill them to throw some props out there or SOMETHING? Outside of Wrestlemania, the only other shows where they bother to mix things up are the England tapings and the Christmas show.

Standardized sets are boring, lazy, and uninteresting. It's the physical reflection of WWE's creative ability, frankly.

Last edited by Sean Valjean : 05-29-2016 at 01:39 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:46 PM

HORRORHOLIC is looking to come up from OCW...HORRORHOLIC is looking to come up from OCW...HORRORHOLIC is looking to come up from OCW...

They matter a great deal to me. They give a different and unique look and feel to the event.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Da Best Sports Entertainer Ever
WWF Hardcore Champion

BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...

Somehow your posts that aren't about Brock Lesnar are even more annoying than your posts about Brock Lesnar. Congrats.

Seriously though stage setups are extremely important. They are crucial and necessary to a great product. They make each brand and PPV different and unique. Do you really want every arena to be the same exact thing? Each arena has became boring, monotonous, and dull, and that's part of the reason WWE isn't that good anymore.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:36 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

I may be in the minority, but I don't really care about stage setups. To me, it ultimately just comes off like something that internet fans pull out of their asses to complain about on a slow day.

What I care about are personas, interesting feuds and good wrestling matches. THAT is what makes a great product to me, not how the stage is set up or how it should be set differently. If I get a great Christmas present, I don't give a damn about how amazingly pretty the wrapping paper is or isn't so long as it's a present that's worth giving to someone.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 05-29-2016, 03:38 PM
With the safety off!!
TNA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringThePain834 View Post
So my bottom line here is that stage setups for anything other than WrestleMania simply just shouldn't matter. It is not, never has been, and never will be about presentation. Saves money. No need for an elaborate stage. What counts is the product in the ring.

End of story.
Presentation is everything when you are putting on a product that people are paying for and is out there on TV. It wouldn't kill the WWE to add a few props and make it look like they really care about the show they are producing.

For Battleground, put a tank on the stage, MIIB put a suitcase around the tron and there are other things they could do to ramp it up a little. PPV's are supposed to be special events so make them look like it. When they do TLC, they put tables and ladders everywhere and it looks great. In England they stick a London cab and a Telephone Box on the stage and you know right away where they are.

It wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg to mock something up, and considering we have the same PPV's yearly, they would be saving money by reusing the props over and over again. Going all out for Mania is fine and no one is saying they should do that on a monthly basis, scaling it back a little for the other PPV's shouldn't hurt them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSE View Post
Seriously though stage setups are extremely important. They are crucial and necessary to a great product. They make each brand and PPV different and unique. Do you really want every arena to be the same exact thing? Each arena has became boring, monotonous, and dull, and that's part of the reason WWE isn't that good anymore.
All arena's are set up the same, and for the most part it isn't wrestling. It's up to the WWE to come in and dress it up for whatever show they are putting on. They are given a blank canvas what they do with it is up to them. It's not the reason wrestling is crap. The reason wrestling is on the downturn these days is because of the terrible booking and creative decisions that are made behind the scenes. That's like blaming the china wear for the badly cooked meal you were served.

Last edited by Navi : 05-29-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Registered Suplex Offender
WWE Diva's Champion

Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...

It's the IWC man, our favourite pastime (more so than watching wrestling) is overanalizing wrestling and scrutinizing every detail.

Personally I'm of the belief that competitors can enter through a simple curtain into gynamsium and if they put on a clinic then we're better for it. It's about match quality and storyline, less so presentation. But the presentation is a part of the performance.

Having the same stage for Raw, Smackdown, and network events (ppvs) does kind of cause things to blend together. And when more often or not we get the same quality of match on those network events, or we don't get resolution to a storyline, that same stage lends itself to the same old shit mentality.

Most people that complain about the never changing HD tron set up are really just experiencing nostalgia. In years past when the product was largely considered to be of a higher quality, it had always changing sets for ppv. A lot these people that complain are mostly upset because part of their past, part of their childhood is gone. They're nostalgic for what came before and equating that with overall product quality.

Everyone of us in the IWC has something to complain about. Often we're not wrong, other times we're picking on something that isn't a root cause of overall problems. Let complainers complain. The lack of unique sets has that nostalgic pain, but really they can walk out through a wooden doorway and all that matters is the story told in the ring.

Last edited by Vanilla Midget : 05-29-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

JJohns is looking to come up from OCW...JJohns is looking to come up from OCW...

Watching wrestling from home, whether it be on Raw, Smackdown or the WWE Network, I keep finding myself distracted by the fact that the match going on in the ring isn't that good because the set looks the same every week.

The AJ Styles vs Chris Jericho match at Fastlane was lacking because it was using the same set as Raw and Smackdown. John Cena vs CM Punk was only 5 stars because of the giant Ladder-like set pieces.

Now that I got the sarcasm out of the way, I remember back in the day when there was no set. I remember watching Hulk Hogan walking down the steps at the Atlantic City Convention Center for his Wrestlemania 5 match against Macho Man on TV. I remember the Ultimate Warrior charging down the aisle at Wrestlemania VIII to save Hogan from a beat down from the nefarious Sid Justice and the voodoo priest Papa Shango. These were old school Wrestlemania's that looked like House Shows back in the day.

I would much rather WWE spend the money that they used to spend on having a separate set for Raw, Smackdown, ECW and EVERY PPV on newer and younger talent (the real reason I watch wrestling) than on something that for the most part, people are going to forget about a few months later.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:26 PM
WWE Women's Champion

whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...

Here is where you are wrong though - if you want something to be considered special, you need to present it as special. By not making any changes to the set, the ppvs just come off as extended episodes. It may just be cosmetic but it matters. Now I am not saying huge elaborate sets but you need something to make it stand out as different. Come on, if wwe is doing as well as everyone says, there is no reason they can't create something and use it once a year for the next few years for that event to give it an identity.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:09 PM
WZCW's Tony Mancini & Milenko
WWE European Champion

Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank N Steins_Gate

So presentation doesn't matter?

So let's say you're a new or casual fan and you can order an ROH or WWE PPV. As a new or casual fan you may not be aware that while ROH has great wrestling but you see the flashy presentation of the WWE and you're like That's worth my money, I'm ordering that.

So yeah presentation does matter...a lot.