WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 05-07-2016, 01:02 PM
what the fuck is a
WCW TV Champion

Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...Allah Loves PaperGhost is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default What Happened With Sandow?

I am not surprised, first and foremost. He was floundering and had nothing going for him but I thought someone like Adam Rose would get released before Damien.

Let's just get this out of the way, the E didn't know where to take that Genius gimmick they gave him, and he was one of those gifted with the gab and can work a good match. And yet, here we are. Is he to blame? Is it his fault that he didn't connect with the larger crowd?

But what is more intriguing is that his release may not be a release from WWE, but a release from his character. The best way to repackage a talented superstar is to cut him, let his do his shit elsewhere, make a name and then bring that new persona to the WWE. And then what we have is a reinvigorated character, an already fan favorites homecoming and snarky old gimmick chants that tickles everybody but Vince.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love
Knockout Champion

Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...Sean Valjean is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Sandow knocked every character he was given out of the park, got over on his own merit, but WWE was like "NOPE!". No matter what he did, Vince and Co. decided Sandow would never mean anything despite proving otherwise, and there's seemingly little a talent can do once Vince has a set opinion about them. Sandow's failure is entirely on WWE as far as I'm concerned.

What makes his release so frustrating is that Sandow did get over with the larger audience. The Mizdow character was one of the hottest acts in the company at the time. It was hilarious and the fans respected Damien for taking such a silly idea and making it work. Sandow should have won the Andre Battle Royal at WM 31, but WWE decided Big Show needed that win more for reasons better understood by subterranean crab people.

Even before Mizdow, his Intellectual Savior gimmick was quite good and could have carried him for years as a charismatic midcard heel that maybe wins the occasional title, but ultimately loses to bigger rising stars. Much like Miz's Hollywood stuff today, Genius Sandow was a clearly defined and unique persona, plus he felt so natural in the role. I loved the Deep Blue chess computer segment, as well as his interaction with DX at Raw 1000.

The genius persona should have been a relative breeze to write, but they booked the character in over his head by giving him MITB in an illogical move, only to pay it off in one of the more forgettable cash-ins. He fell through the floor after that through no fault of his own. That's the story of Sandow's career in a nutshell.

At the very least, I believe Sandow still had value as a beloved jobber in the vein of Tye Dillinger in NXT, making you invest in his squashes simply because he's involved. It's always good to have jobbers you actually care about, but I guess WWE disagrees when it comes to Sandow specifically.

Damien could come back as the returning hero in a couple years, it just depends on where he goes and what he does in the mean time. It's too soon to predict whether or not that route will work for him.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:49 PM

thekooljt is looking to come up from OCW...

I said it before and I'll say again and again today's wrestlers have got to find a way to protect their brand. I know we don't know the politics behind the way creative determines whose a super star and whose a mid card and/or jobber but, If a wrestler decides to take too many jobs, his /or her stock DECREASES!!! Maybe Sandow was a company man and agreed to do everything the "Higher Ups" told him to do. Unfortunately, look where it eventually got him. You know whats crazy, I read blogs by Jim Ross and other people praising Sandow for losing his match to John Cena (when he cashed in the briefcase). Am I the only one who thought that was the final nail in the coffin? Yes he had a brief resurgence with the Miz and am now able to put former tag champ on his resume but make no mistake about it, he was grossly misused during his time with WWE.

Last edited by thekooljt : 05-07-2016 at 03:06 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:03 PM
resU deretsigeR

The Yes Guy is looking to come up from OCW...The Yes Guy is looking to come up from OCW...

Ya.. He was actually pretty good. He did connect with the crowd.
I loved his Intellectual saviour gimmick and it could have taken him a long way a la Jericho.
I see no reason for WWE to have booked him the way they did.
I'm assuming he pissed someone off backstage. Someone very important.

With that said, I'm sure he's gonna return at some Royal Rumble as a surprise entrant.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:11 PM
ROH Pure Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

The main problem with sandow was that he did the comedy role way too long. The impersonation gimmick was really great but he got typecast because of it. When they separated him from the miz, i think it was the death nail for him because yes the fans loved him but they loved him the same way they loved santino marella, as a comedy act and wwe creative didn't really have a choice but to continue booking him like that so they gave him the macho mandow gimmick which wasn'T that great but he was still over and was on tv everyweek. Then the whole hogan racist crisis happenned and they had to pull that gimmick off the show and since they had pretty much did everything with the impersator gimmick they just didn'T know what to do with him.

So know he's release, that'S great for him because he can finally ge out off the stigma that was the comedy role and come up with a new character on the indy scenes or TNA and then after a couple of years when he's got that whole new gimmick worked out, WWE can reconsidered and give him another chance like they did with other guys like luke gallows who just return to the company.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:17 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

dsotm5150 is looking to come up from OCW...dsotm5150 is looking to come up from OCW...dsotm5150 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingmasters55 View Post
The main problem with sandow was that he did the comedy role way too long. The impersonation gimmick was really great but he got typecast because of it. When they separated him from the miz, i think it was the death nail for him because yes the fans loved him but they loved him the same way they loved santino marella, as a comedy act and wwe creative didn't really have a choice but to continue booking him like that so they gave him the macho mandow gimmick which wasn'T that great but he was still over and was on tv everyweek. Then the whole hogan racist crisis happenned and they had to pull that gimmick off the show and since they had pretty much did everything with the impersator gimmick they just didn'T know what to do with him.

So know he's release, that'S great for him because he can finally ge out off the stigma that was the comedy role and come up with a new character on the indy scenes or TNA and then after a couple of years when he's got that whole new gimmick worked out, WWE can reconsidered and give him another chance like they did with other guys like luke gallows who just return to the company.
That's very true, and we've seen it happen so many times over the years, where a wrestler got over basically playing the sidekick and plateued. I like Sandow and find him to be a very talented performer and he's got a great look to him, he reminds me of Kanyon a bit, but yeah Mizdow pretty much killed his momentum long term. Unfortunately the best way to change a persona is pretty much to remove them from TV for a period of time.

I'd be curious about circumstances of his release though. I wonder if he was one of those handful of guys that were rumoured a few months back to decide not to resign his contract, or maybe they were unable to come to terms on a new one. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back within a year or so, and he'll definitely be getting looked at TNA and ROH, they'd be stupid not to reach out to him.

Last edited by dsotm5150 : 05-07-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:52 PM

Anger is looking to come up from OCW...Anger is looking to come up from OCW...Anger is looking to come up from OCW...

Out of all the releases this was perhaps the one that hit me most, as far as talent releases go. I've been a big Sandow fan from early on, and enjoyed his time with Cody in the Rhodes Scholar's. I always thought Sandow had an innate ability to work a great program, but at some point creative just seemed to stop giving a fuck. It also strikes me that Ryback wasn't among the released talent, and not merely because of his contract dispute. It's an interesting dichotomy in that with Sandow you have an immensely talented performer whom had a decided segment of the fan base behind him, but is released after being wasted and floundering as a jobber. With Ryback, you have a marginally talented big guy (no pun intended), toward whom the majority of the audience is booing and jeering when they aren't simply indifferent, but whom still is placed in title matches (albeit preshow) and pushed to an extent. Hopefully, Sandow gets on somewhere and reinvigorates himself as a performer so as he too may eventually find his way back to WWE for another shot.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:17 PM
With the safety off!!
NWA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

Aww Sandow was great and I loved him. I remember the first time I saw him live here at a house show in Toronto. He came up on tron and informed us all he would be making his way out to the stage, he expected nothing else than applause and a standing ovation. He came out and naturally the boo's were deafening. I was in "tears" laughing. He went right backstage and came on the tron again to inform us that it wasn't good enough and we had to do it again. Same result only louder boo's.

Then I think it was Kane he was feuding with that night. Kane came out grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, hauled him to the ring and beat the tar out of him. The whole thing was hilarious and it was a great start to the show.

I will miss him and hope that one day the WWE realizes that they made a huge mistake. They think he wasn't good enough for them, when in reality, they weren't good enough for him.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Knockout Champion

rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...rbv13 is getting some looks on Smackdown...

The guy was given his first sniff in '01ish. Took his role and ran with it in OVW. His first call up didn't work out so well. For whatever reason it seems he wasn't successful when it came to playing games backstage. Plus there is always the actual pay factors. Are any of us sure of the details behind his contract?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:06 PM

ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsotm5150 View Post
but yeah Mizdow pretty much killed his momentum long term.
It seems he had tremendous momentum with as Mizdow. What appeared to cut the jugular of his momentum was WWE's failure to properly pay off the Miz-Sandow partner/feud/tension/jealousy