WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Friendly Neighborhood
WWE Diva's Champion

@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default Reinventing Chris Jericho

Chris Jericho is one of my all time favorites. I've loved the Lionheart of the WCW Cruiserweight Division. I've loved the first ever Undisputed Title reign, I've loved the Best There Is at Everything He Does, the Savior of the WWE, the harbinger of the apocalypse. More than anything, as suggested by my little tangent above, I love how Chris Jericho has always evolved his character. For better or worse, he's not afraid to change his own formula and reinvent himself.

My biggest issue with him, and I think this resonates with many people on the forum, is how often he loses. It's a double edged sword, really. I admire how willing, dare I say eager, he is to put over others. But with a steady stream of putting others over in his series of comebacks, it's hard for him to develop solid momentum from his last run. This storyline with AJ Styles is a notable exception, and I think it's better than his last 4-5 major feuds combined. Nonetheless, I think it's time for another reinvention to freshen up the value of Chris Jericho returns.

Lately, I've been thinking about what a better use of Chris Jericho looks like. Something that would fit both his limited schedule, and his desire to give younger talent a proper rub. Much of this is inspired by previous threads, so I'll try to credit who got my gears spinning in the first place;

The Gatekeeper of NXT
MTL22
asked who fits the role of the Gatekeeper of NXT (seen here). I won't elaborate too much because you can find my reply to the topic, but Chris could play the "Gatekeeper" in a very literal sense. Enforcing his strength of playing heel or face seamlessly, his 'goal' as a character could be to ensure that the future of the WWE is in the hands of the very best talent. Without using him as a rule, he could show up to challenge the occasional NXT star who is poised for the main roster.

The one issue I could see with this is if beating Jericho suggests someone like Finn is heading to Raw, Full Sail will NOT get behind that. Finn would be a de facto heel.

Stable Leader/Figurehead
I discussed the merits of a Team Canada in WWE with filthyanimalz (here). I disagreed with the idea, but I'm a little enchanted with the idea of Jericho as a stable leader, and how it could work with his part-time schedule. If Jericho was treated by his followers with the same reverence that the Family follows Bray Wyatt (though ideally, much less cryptic), all the while Jericho is not on WWE TV, Jericho is less of a character than he is an idea. A concept. The general of this stable constantly talks up the man he follows and his teachings, and when Jericho DOES show up, he's not just relevant again, he's advancing a plot that's already moving along. Have Jericho return at key moments in the stables history, such as a title victory, the climax of an important feud, igniting his own feud along with his goons, or just a plain old Survivor Series match.

Want to make this angle particularly twisted? Make Cody Rhodes the leader of the 'Sons of Jericho', and have him adopt Chris as a father figure.

An absent Mr. Money In The Bank
I always thought it was a shame that they haven't integrated the MITB briefcase more directly into Chris Jericho's history. He did invent the match, after all. This one is short and sweet; Chris Jericho wins a Money in the Bank match, then gets written off of TV by injury or self exhile. The suspense of the MITB has been diluted over the years, but an absent Mr. MITB might bring that back. Not only are we asking when he's cashing in. We're asking when he's coming back.

What do you all think? Are you satisfied with the value of the Chris Jericho comebacks? Could he be put to better use? Do you have your own ideas on how Chris Jericho should be used, if at all?

No. No one else misses Rybaxel
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Million Dollar Champion

thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I don't see another World title run in Jerichos future so MITB win for him is off the table. And as you said he loses enough on TV, so having him win MITB to unsuccessfully cash in will further the current issue you say he has.
Jericho "gets" it, he knows he is best used to elevate quality guys coming in whilst he still has name value and is still in great condition for his age. 45/46yo part timer.....Jericho leading a stable has plenty of merit though. I like that a lot. Brilliant on the mic, and he wouldn't need to wrestle with a younger crew around him
Old 03-25-2016, 04:50 PM

LionheartY2J is looking to come up from OCW...

Chris Jericho is similar to Mick Foley in that he no longer needs the WWE, however he understands and appreciates that without them, he wouldn't be in said position. And like Foley, he's willing to put over up and coming superstars, whereas guys like The Rock and Hogan before him would show up for short stints to rack up more unneeded wins.

Last edited by LionheartY2J : 03-25-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:05 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

I think the one reason why Jericho continues to come back every so often is because he enjoys it, he's having fun in the role of ultimately helping to elevate younger talent and I think he'll be content to do that until he feels he reaches an age where he's no longer a viable force inside the ring. Once that's over, I can see him stepping in as sort of the mouthpiece or veteran hand of a young stable of heels once his in-ring career is done, though I think it'd have to be the right combination of guys who have the talent and the proper booking so that they don't look like a bunch of dullards who need Jericho to be their charisma for them; you know, sort of a J.J. Dillon type of figure in that someone who fills a role but doesn't overshadow the talent.

Jericho won't be World Champion again, nor do I think he has any desire to be World Champion again. He's had his big moments, he's won his big championships and is content with his place in the grand scheme of things. Personally, I also have little to no desire seeing Jericho in that spot because it just seems like something of a waste to me. When it comes to wrestlers who no longer need championships as a means of helping to define who they are, the only reason I can see them winning another title is for the primary purpose of trying to give a big rub to someone else.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 03-25-2016, 05:06 PM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

Of all these ideas I like the gatekeeper one. He doesn't need to be a heel or face. He will just be the one guy to beat if you want to make it big time.

I think that Y2J is done in the main roster. I don't see another main run for him and his whole purpose is to give us dream matches. In reality, all of the dream matches for him atm include him vs the guys from NXT.

Also if people think this might be a step down for Y2J, it really isn't. This is major character development for him. It's a win-win for anyone involved and it even gives NXT a great story to run with and a a great star to use.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:44 PM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

As great as Chris Jericho still is, I can no longer feel excitement when he's around, because I know he's just going to lose 95% of his matches. They've diluted Jericho to the point of complete irrelevancy by his never-ending losses. If they booked Jericho correctly, where he won 99% of his matches and then lost only when it really meant something, I could really get behind him again. But since Jericho only exists to put over anyone with a heartbeat, there's no reason for him to be around at all.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:59 AM
Mr. Money in the Bank

kadroan worked a dark match on ECW recently...kadroan worked a dark match on ECW recently...kadroan worked a dark match on ECW recently...kadroan worked a dark match on ECW recently...kadroan worked a dark match on ECW recently...kadroan worked a dark match on ECW recently...kadroan worked a dark match on ECW recently...kadroan worked a dark match on ECW recently...kadroan worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DearWrestler View Post
Chris Jericho is one of my all time favorites. I've loved the Lionheart of the WCW Cruiserweight Division. I've loved the first ever Undisputed Title reign, I've loved the Best There Is at Everything He Does, the Savior of the WWE, the harbinger of the apocalypse. More than anything, as suggested by my little tangent above, I love how Chris Jericho has always evolved his character. For better or worse, he's not afraid to change his own formula and reinvent himself.

My biggest issue with him, and I think this resonates with many people on the forum, is how often he loses. It's a double edged sword, really. I admire how willing, dare I say eager, he is to put over others. But with a steady stream of putting others over in his series of comebacks, it's hard for him to develop solid momentum from his last run. This storyline with AJ Styles is a notable exception, and I think it's better than his last 4-5 major feuds combined. Nonetheless, I think it's time for another reinvention to freshen up the value of Chris Jericho returns.

Lately, I've been thinking about what a better use of Chris Jericho looks like. Something that would fit both his limited schedule, and his desire to give younger talent a proper rub. Much of this is inspired by previous threads, so I'll try to credit who got my gears spinning in the first place;

The Gatekeeper of NXT
MTL22
asked who fits the role of the Gatekeeper of NXT (seen here). I won't elaborate too much because you can find my reply to the topic, but Chris could play the "Gatekeeper" in a very literal sense. Enforcing his strength of playing heel or face seamlessly, his 'goal' as a character could be to ensure that the future of the WWE is in the hands of the very best talent. Without using him as a rule, he could show up to challenge the occasional NXT star who is poised for the main roster.

The one issue I could see with this is if beating Jericho suggests someone like Finn is heading to Raw, Full Sail will NOT get behind that. Finn would be a de facto heel.

Stable Leader/Figurehead
I discussed the merits of a Team Canada in WWE with filthyanimalz (here). I disagreed with the idea, but I'm a little enchanted with the idea of Jericho as a stable leader, and how it could work with his part-time schedule. If Jericho was treated by his followers with the same reverence that the Family follows Bray Wyatt (though ideally, much less cryptic), all the while Jericho is not on WWE TV, Jericho is less of a character than he is an idea. A concept. The general of this stable constantly talks up the man he follows and his teachings, and when Jericho DOES show up, he's not just relevant again, he's advancing a plot that's already moving along. Have Jericho return at key moments in the stables history, such as a title victory, the climax of an important feud, igniting his own feud along with his goons, or just a plain old Survivor Series match.

Want to make this angle particularly twisted? Make Cody Rhodes the leader of the 'Sons of Jericho', and have him adopt Chris as a father figure.

An absent Mr. Money In The Bank
I always thought it was a shame that they haven't integrated the MITB briefcase more directly into Chris Jericho's history. He did invent the match, after all. This one is short and sweet; Chris Jericho wins a Money in the Bank match, then gets written off of TV by injury or self exhile. The suspense of the MITB has been diluted over the years, but an absent Mr. MITB might bring that back. Not only are we asking when he's cashing in. We're asking when he's coming back.

What do you all think? Are you satisfied with the value of the Chris Jericho comebacks? Could he be put to better use? Do you have your own ideas on how Chris Jericho should be used, if at all?
I think what he's doing now is great. He actually beat AJ once which makes things less predictable about him for once. I loved the fact they turned him heel.

I just wonder how much longer he's going to be around and if he's going to be around WM, what's next
Old 03-26-2016, 05:26 AM
Knockout Champion

TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...

I like the idea of Y2J winning the MITB Briefcase and then leaving everyone guessing when he's going to cash in as he would probably be doing stuff with his rock band etc.

The problem with Y2J winning the MITB is that Jericho has had too many defeats to consider him a real threat & it is perhaps a waste of the briefcase.

I can see why Y2J would be used as an enhancement talent, but I still can't figure why Fandango went over Y2J at WrestleMania XXIX.

Jericho has been on the losing end of too many feuds for my liking.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:21 AM

yourdamnluck is looking to come up from OCW...

I like the MITB thing. He invented it and he should at least win it once. I'd like to see him have at least one more big moment. May be lose the belt to cena and let him equal Flair
Old 03-26-2016, 02:38 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...

Chris Jericho is over enough and has enough personality that losses don't really effect his crowd standing. It's a perpetual cycle in wrestling that the old guard puts over the new guys to keep everything moving forward.