WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE NXT
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: What does NXT need to succeed?
Jeff Jarrett as champion 1 10.00%
Triangles 3 30.00%
Go live 3 30.00%
Go on the road full time 2 20.00%
Pentagons 0 0%
Celebrity guest stars (Like Pierce Brosnan) 4 40.00%
Two hours 4 40.00%
Spike TV 2 20.00%
Ovals 1 10.00%
War Games 0 0%
A new Nation of Domination 0 0%
A stable of guys from the UK 1 10.00%
It's own Hall Of Fame 1 10.00%
Another title 4 40.00%
Other (please specify) 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Future Endeavored
Million Dollar Champion

Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...Coco is an Intercontinental Champion...
Default What Does NXT Need to Compete With WWE?

I love NXT. You love NXT. It's a fantastic alternative and I'd love to see them succeed. But right now, they're clearly the number two promotion in the world and are miles behind the WWE. What is it going to take to push NXT to number one and make them real competition for WWE?

Some ideas:

More Big Stars: I like Finn Balor, Bayley, Enzo, Corbin, etc. But they don't have big name marquee value. Casual viewers have no idea who these people are. You want to draw more eyes to NXT? You need star power. Rhyno was a good start, but now he's busy with his run for office. Triple H appearing at the beginning of a couple Takeover specials was a huge coup, but NXT needs him appearing every week in a prominent role to really make the most of him. Cross-promotion with Jeff Jarrett's GFW would surely create some buzz. And hopefully when the Gawker mess is behind us, Hogan and Bischoff can come in. If anything, they should be trying to sign Kurt Angle (who's now done with TNA).

Live Weekly Two-Hour Primetime Show: The Takeover specials are everybody's favourite part of NXT. But if NXT is really going to blow up, they need to be doing two live hours every week. We can't be waiting weeks between Finn Balor appearances. He needs to be front and center week after week. And this taping weeks in advance stuff needs to stop. They're losing tonnes of viewers to spoilers.

Deal With Major Network: Internet shows are fine for us hardcores. But if the casuals are going to discover NXT, it needs to be on TV. This would be a great way to get Spike TV back in the wrestling business.

Go On The Road Full Time: The soundstage at Full Sail looks small time. Difficult to take the show seriously when it looks like that and has the same handful of people in the front row at every taping.

Different Ring: NXT needs to stop pretending they're WWE-lite and ditch the four-sided ring. I'm in favour of three sides myself. Triangles are very popular and have been since I was in kindergarten. Casuals will definitely recognize this shape.

What do you think NXT needs to succeed?
Old 03-13-2016, 04:09 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...Radical Canadian Goose is looking to come up from OCW...

Ok. This post made me think and laugh at the same time. I think that it is illegal to do that. I had to change my pants after the triangle remark. Well done.

In all honesty I voted 2 hrs. Although, I could have voted go live. The two go hand in hand. A live 2 hour show would expose more of NXT's big players (Balor, Joe, Crews, Enzo, Cass, Etc) on a weekly basis. The current taped one hour format, does not feature all of the feature performers on a weekly basis. Also, I tend to read spoilers, to decide if I need to watch it or not.

Good post
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:52 PM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I'm just hoping for NXT to fail. I'm old-school. The developmental process should never, EVER be televised, and developmental talents should never be seen as equal to the main roster talents. The youth movement is killing wrestling for me and making me watch less and less. When a developmental talent debuts on the main roster, they should be treated as brand-new and their "accomplishments" in developmental should never be acknowledged. When WWE is out of business in a generation, NXT will be the reason why.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:53 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...

NXT's success will stay as long as it stays what it is.

As it grows, gets bigger, gets more intervention from "Experts" that try to improve it, it will get worse and worse and worse.

Staying taped works out well for a group of lesser experienced (Generally) development talents, it means that they can edit out huge screwups as needed, and gives people a chance to develop.
I think going live would put a weird pressure onto the NXT developmental talent that would be negative overall.

2 hours, Meh, I'd stop watching, I enjoy NXT being promo light, adding an hour wouldn't give us more matches, We've learned this from RAW, an extra hour just means another hour of blabbing. The current model, where it's like 40 minutes of wrasslin' and 10 minutes of promos probably is what adds to it's success.

I realize the main topic is a joke, but in all honesty, a major network will be the only way NXT can really grow. The WWE Network setup right now, is one of the only reasons Im still subbed to the Network (With PPVs dipping down to RAW levels, I don't think they'd keep me hooked past Mania). Spike TV as an example, was actually a really good network for Wrestling, since it was focused on the actual demographic of wrestling, so we didn't get pandering to fans who aren't the normal Wrestling fans (TOTAL DIVAS?).

I actually also don't like the big stars idea, having big stars means the NXT homegrown talent won't shine as bright. Having a couple like Finn, Joe, Austin Ares is great, but NXT's entire point is developmental, so let's keep brewing our own stars while using the bigger names to get a little exposure and experience in the ring.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:31 PM

World Class Mark is looking to come up from OCW...

Is this to say that NXT is currently NOT succeeding? It's supposed to be a "cult show" televised to a "mainstream cult audience" and that demo seems to love it. So where's this lack of success?

Perhaps the question you're asking is, "what do NXT wrestlers need to do to become bigger stars when they get to WWE?" As great as NXT has been to its fan base, other than K.O. and the Divas, most of the NXT people haven't really connected with WWE fans (Neville has "connected" as a mid-card guy, but as a top tier guy).

FAVES *Flair *Muta *Steamboat *Macho *HBK *Bret *Malenko *DB
*Angle *Rock *Funk *IV *Freebirds *DynamicDuo *Lita *AJ

NOW KO Ambrose Ricochet Seth Brock Sasha Paige
Old 03-14-2016, 01:49 AM
WZCW's Tony Mancini & Milenko
WWE European Champion

Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...Frank N Steins_Gate is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank N Steins_Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman6686 View Post
I'm just hoping for NXT to fail.
You're sad sad little man. Do you have anything nice to say about anything?
Quote:
I'm old-school. The developmental process should never, EVER be televised,
It's on the network and I don't see that changing because it constantly brings in new subscribers. It's not like it on USA with the main shows.
Quote:
and developmental talents should never be seen as equal to the main roster talents.
Why? You can't say this and not give a reason. In some cases the talent in NXT is equal or better than the main roster talent.
Quote:
The youth movement is killing wrestling for me and making me watch less and less.
The youth movement is bringing in some of the bed talent I've seen since Orton & Cena debuted. I promise you won't be missed if you stop watching.
Quote:
When a developmental talent debuts on the main roster, they should be treated as brand-new and their "accomplishments" in developmental should never be acknowledged.
So they have to start brand new when they start out in NXT and when they finally get promoted everyone should completely forget everything that got them promoted in the first place? I don't even know what to say to this asinine statement.
Quote:
When WWE is out of business in a generation, NXT will be the reason why.
NXT is the reason WWE is growing as a company and giving us some of the best matches in a long time and it's not going anywhere. Just because you know absolutely nothing about business doesn't mean it's going under.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:36 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank N Stein View Post
You're sad sad little man. Do you have anything nice to say about anything?

It's on the network and I don't see that changing because it constantly brings in new subscribers. It's not like it on USA with the main shows.

Why? You can't say this and not give a reason. In some cases the talent in NXT is equal or better than the main roster talent.

The youth movement is bringing in some of the bed talent I've seen since Orton & Cena debuted. I promise you won't be missed if you stop watching.

So they have to start brand new when they start out in NXT and when they finally get promoted everyone should completely forget everything that got them promoted in the first place? I don't even know what to say to this asinine statement.

NXT is the reason WWE is growing as a company and giving us some of the best matches in a long time and it's not going anywhere. Just because you know absolutely nothing about business doesn't mean it's going under.
Aquaman is a sorry excuse of a WWE fan. He only likes out of shape and way past their prime performers, it's quite sad and pretty pathetic. There is no changing this guy's asinine opinion that he thinks considers fact.

Back to the thread, I don't think they need to change anything. If it's not broke, no need to fix it. NXT sells out most, if not all, of their live events and tapings. Balor, Bayley, Joe, Aries and some others sell just as much, if not more, than a lot of the main roster talents. The Takeover specials are just as good, if not better than most of the main roster ppvs. Guys like Enzo and Cass, for example, are more over than a lot of the main roster and they haven't been called up yet.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:55 AM
resU deretsigeR

The Yes Guy is looking to come up from OCW...The Yes Guy is looking to come up from OCW...

I read the question as "'Does' NXT need to compete with WWE?" by mistake.
And now I think this is equally valid.
NXT is a feeder show and it should stay that way. I'm not really sure why people want it to compete with the main roster.? Doing things like going live or 2 hrs would be disastrous for NXT. It would expose some wrestlers those were hidden earlier.

Let it stay the way it is.

And as much as I hate Aquaman's post, I do have to agree to his point that developmental talent should never be compared to guys from the main roster. The main roster is an entirely different ball game and a comparison would only hurt the guy (read The Ascension)

Last edited by The Yes Guy : 03-14-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:11 AM

achromat666 is looking to come up from OCW...achromat666 is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via AIM to achromat666

Not certain the question should be: What does NXT need to succeed? I think it is very successful at what it's doing. Moreso likely than the WWE was expecting.

I think the real question is: Where does NXT go from here?

There is real concern with pushing the unproven talent too hard where it concerns guys from the Performance center (Baron Corbin, Bull Dempsey) and simply utilizing indie talent that have all the tools and integrating them into the WWE system (most of the NXT stars that are currently on the main roster, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Finn Balor, Apollo Crews, etc) so upon getting called up they're better suited for success.

There is a risk of blowing NXT up too hard when you consider that the great performers are mixed in largely with people that are still learning. We're invested because of the influx of great indie talent and the Performance Center pushing some solid new talent, and how well they work together.

If you're going to expand, do it slowly. Another singles title perhaps, make the Dusty Tag tournament an annual thing to spotlight their incredibly deep tag division, Maybe another hour if you have enough story to tell in that time?

NXT is perfect as is in my estimation. Any attempts to make it competitive with the regular roster misses the point of NXT. It strips down the ridiculous stories and lengthy promos in favor of telling a concise story in the ring and with promos that are designed solely to advance a feud and develop a performer. And obviously not every star that works in NXT will be treated the same way on the main roster or have the same exact gimmick (The Ascension and Neville immediately come to mind) and will ultimately be relegated to mid card limbo.

Make any changes cautiously and remember why NXT exists.

Last edited by achromat666 : 03-14-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:44 PM
SHALL WE BEGIN?
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...

Quote:
I'm just hoping for NXT to fail.
I bet you are a blast at parties

Quote:
I'm old-school.
Doesn't seem like it

Quote:
The developmental process should never, EVER be televised.
Good thing it isn't, then

Quote:
developmental talents should never be seen as equal to the main roster
No one ever said they were, so clearly they are doing a fine job of getting over.

Quote:
The youth movement is killing wrestling for me and making me watch less and less
So is there like an age limit or?

Quote:
When a developmental talent debuts on the main roster, they should be treated as brand-new and their "accomplishments" in developmental should never be acknowledged.
What possible reason and in what world would this be a good idea?

Quote:
When WWE is out of business in a generation, NXT will be the reason why.
Its funny you claim to be "old school" when NXT is literally THE LAST vestige of old school booking and character use in the modern wrestling industry.

Totally ignoring every basic pro wrestling fundamental trope is why the WWE could be out of business in a generation, not its one hour a week alternative brand