WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Who had the best "Second Run" In WWE History?
Shawn Michaels 2002-2010 26 63.41%
Brock Lesnar 2012-present 6 14.63%
Hulk Hogan 2002-2003 2 4.88%
Eddie Guerrero 2002-2005 1 2.44%
The Rock 2011-present 0 0%
Jeff Hardy 2006-2009 2 4.88%
Chris Jericho 2007-2010 2 4.88%
Christian 2009-2014 1 2.44%
Ric Flair 2001-2008 1 2.44%
Batista 2014 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Knockout Champion

S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Send a message via AIM to S.J. Maximus
Default The Best "Second Run" in WWE history

One of the most famous sayings in pro wrestling is "Never Say Never". So many times we have seen guys leave WWE, only to come back later and absolutely dominate the business. The point of this thread is to tell me who you think did the best on their second run.

The only criteria for this is that they had to be relevant during their first run (So you can't say Daniel Bryan, his two matches on Velocity meant nothing) and that they can't be under contract during whatever hiatus they took (So no saying HHH after he came back in 2002 or Undertaker's American Bad Ass Gimmick). With that being said, this is my top 5:

5. The Rock 2011-present- I really really really really really wanted to put Eddie Guerrero on this list. Eddie Guerrero's second run did wonders for his legacy in ways that have rarely been duplicated (look at #3) but my heart simply wouldn't let me leave Dwayne off this list. Yes, he rarely appears, but how can you discredit 6 straight WrestleMania appearances, 2 back-to-back WrestleMania main events, and 1 title reign that outlasted the reigns HBK and Hogan had during their second runs. Memorable promos, hilarious segments, and great matches with Punk and Cena are too big for Latino Heat overcome.

4. Hulk Hogan 2002-2003- Easily the most anticipated second run of all time, Hulk Hogan absolutely delivered in 2002. His showdown with Rock was one of the most legendary matches ever and his battle with Vince one year later was definitely Vince's best outting at the big show. Add in a title reign, some more dream matches with guys like Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle, and you have an extremely successful (and absolutely memorable) second run in WWE.

3. Jeff Hardy 2006-2009- Probably the most controversial choice on this list, Jeff Hardy's second run did wonders for his legacy IMO. When he left in 2003, he was a popular mid-carder who had a great run on a very popular tag team. That sounds a lot like Marty Jannetty, or someone like John Morrison. His second run allowed him to become the 10th Grand Slam Champion ever, a 3-time World Champion and a 4-time Intercontinental Champion. There simply is no arguing that those are the accolades of a WWE Hall of Famer. When he left WWE in 2009, he was the single hottest attraction in the business, a bonafide main event star for the company. I wish they were able to work out a part-time deal for him so that he could've remained in WWE but it's fine: 2009 was good enough for me.

2. Shawn Michaels 2002-2010- I'd imagine this guy to be everyone's top choice, seeing how his second run was arguably better than his HOF-worthy first run! In 2000 it was doubtful, by 2002 it was a mere dream but later that year he proved us wrong and delivered the same (if not better) high quality matches that he was known for in the 90's. His return story hijacked the original Elimination Chamber match and gave us one of the best matches ever. His feud with HHH was probably the most intense and bloody rivalry in WWE history. His participation in the main event of WrestleMania XX is a big reason why to this day it is still my favorite WM main event and also my favorite triple threat match of all time. His match at WM25 with Taker is widely regarded as one of the best in history. 8 years, 1 World title reign, several high-profile feuds, and 5-star match after 5-star match. Damn, how the hell did I NOT put HBK first!?

1. Brock Lesnar 2012-present- Call me overzealous, call me crazy, but 4 years into his second run I think it's safe to say Brock Lesnar is having the best "rejuvenation" of any man in the history in WWE. A lot of it is due to how he spent his hiatus (proving yourself as a legitimate fighting machine looks way better to the public than just being home injured like HBK or in rehab like Eddie Guerrero) but regardless he came back to WWE and made an immediate impact. 2012 might have been a questionable year in terms of creative direction but by 2014 it was very clear that he was going to be the biggest draw in wrestling. His title reign was great, he ended the streak, and continues to be the most over guy in the business by and extremely large margin. The best part is that we still have many years to come, many more moments and matches that will bring us right from the edge of our seat into Suplex City.

Honorable Mention: Eddie Guerrero, Christian, Chris Jericho, Ric Flair, Batista

"It's not arrogance; It's destiny."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:03 PM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Shawn Michaels no question about it. Rock, Hogan and the other guys already reached legendary status by the time these guys had their 2nd run.

Shawn Michaels pretty much established himself as an Icon in his 2nd run. Heck if you a "Top 10" HBK maches most of them were in 2002 and afterwards.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

MoRtAnDaD is looking to come up from OCW...MoRtAnDaD is looking to come up from OCW...MoRtAnDaD is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter_mcgavin View Post
Shawn Michaels no question about it. Rock, Hogan and the other guys already reached legendary status by the time these guys had their 2nd run.

Shawn Michaels pretty much established himself as an Icon in his 2nd run. Heck if you a "Top 10" HBK maches most of them were in 2002 and afterwards.
The truth its strong in this gentleman.

HBK has the best second run ever, amazing matches, amazing storylines, not that much ego, he helped to put guys over. And gave us 2 of the best matches in history with taker.

Brock comes behind, but if it wasnt for HBK, Lesnar's second run has been the best.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:28 PM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

The obvious answer is Shawn Michaels.

The guy basically had 2 HOF careers, and his second was arguably better than the first.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 AM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

Gotta go with HBK on this one, he's not really near my favourite of all time and I think he can be overrated by WWE brass sometimes but theres no denying that his second run was a thing of beauty...arguably better than his first, definitely better for him outside of the ring to be sure.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:27 AM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Brock Lesnar's is an absolute joke. He wrestles 3 or 4 times a year. To even consider him is an insult to the others who have been mentioned.

It's Shawn Michaels. There's no question there. Shawn Michaels from 2002 on was so much better than his first run, it's night and day. Probably 95% of HBK's best matches are from his second run.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:08 AM
The current reigning and defending
Undisputed WWE Champion

Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...

I've got to agree with everyone else and say Shawn Michaels.

His second run was arguably better than his first, which is incredible when you remember he had come back from what was thought to be a career-ending back injury and was a half-decade older. To come back after that kind of injury and time out and IMMEDIATELY be as good as you were before is amazing.

Shawn had classic match after classic match in his second run, great feuds with the likes of HHH, Kurt Angle, Undertaker and many more. Multiple match of the year candidates, stealing the show night after night. It's disappointing that WWE didn't give him more than a month-long title run while he was performing so well but I read somewhere that all champions have to work full time schedules while Shawn didn't do house hows, so I can understand why.

I'm glad everyone else agrees with me, Shawn Michaels 2nd WWE run is EASILY the best 2nd run in company history.

IT'S A DILAPIDATED BOAT!!!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:39 AM
WWE Women's Champion

harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...harrythem is looking to come up from OCW...

I'm with everyone else and saying HBK. Shawn's first run was pretty amazing (even if he was a massive thundercunt backstage) but, when he returned, he was completely amazeballs!

What was really amazing was how he actually did a whole lot less in his second run but eveyrthing meant a whole lot more because he completely mastered just about every single aspect in the ring (just watching his sell-job of Lesnar "breaking" his arm is 100 times better than the current roster)

I don't care what it costs them, they need HBK to go to the performance centre and teach the young guys his skills.

As for Jericho....surely that's just a case of an upper mid-card guy coming back annually to take a big pay-day away from a regular roster member and drone on in repetitive promos that don't really ever lead anywhere, before doing the same shit from previous years, to less of a reaction? Plus he claims it was him that made Fandango at WM29, what a cunt!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:51 AM
Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie
WWE Women's Champion

stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Just two things: 1) Shaun Michaels, the way that list was done, is a no-brainer. Coming back from back surgery, he had one of the greatest runs ever. He was arguably far better AFTER going under the knife than before. Second, Hogan's 2002-2003 run was actually his THIRD run. His first was in 1979-1980, with "The Hollywood Fashion Plate" Freddie Blassie as his Manager. It was a bit uneventful before going to Japan. We all know what his true Second run was. And, if you had correctly made THAT his Second run, this conversation would have been moot 8 posts ago.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:51 AM
King Of The Wasteland
ROH Pure Champion

Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Well I think anybody would be hard pressed to find someone going with someone other than Shawn Michaels. As someone who watched wrestling a little bit in the early 2000s, stopped and then came back to watching it in 2005 I loved Shawn Michaels. And when I found out he'd been in the company before I was amazed.

If we're going by who had the best second run after Michaels I'm going with Jeff Hardy.

The guy was a tag wrestler in his first run before having a singles run which was ok. He comes back again and he ends up a mainstay of the midcard (often carrying it) and then he moves up to main event level. His storyline to finally winning the WWE title was awesome. Everyone wanted him to win it and it was awesome. And when you have his feud with CM Punk (Punk's best feud I believe) one of the most personal feuds in history he had a brilliant second run. That and he was giving Cena a run for his money in terms of most over wrester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate. View Post
You can get rid of chlamydia. Much easier and cheaper than getting rid of a fetus.