WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE NXT
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-16-2016, 06:18 PM
Believes in The Shield!
WWE European Champion

Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...Trill Co$by scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to Trill Co$by Send a message via Skype™ to Trill Co$by
Default NXT Secondary Single's Title - What Do You Call it?

It's become apparent to everyone that NXT is gaining more and more popularity as the days go by. More people are taking advantage of the 1st Month Free deal with the Network at the right times, and because of this, they're getting a lot of good exposure to the perfect blend of old school territory, new school indies, and WWE production that NXT has to offer. And as time continues to go by, NXT keeps cycling through top champion after top champion to figure out who is ready for the single's call up.

But what about guys who have popularity but aren't exactly the ones you want flying the main banner? What about guys you want to take a closer look at but not feature as THE guy? Or one that you're not quite sure is the next guy, so you give him something as sort of a test subject?

Well, that's where a secondary title comes into play. Imagine if NXT had a mid-card/secondary title during the Tyler Breeze era, or when Tyson Kidd was running his #FACT promos. It would've perfectly been acceptable for them to give them those titles and feature them more and give fans a champion they can see more frequently than a Finn Balor while also not degrading the title Balor has. Imagine what a guy like Apollo Crews or Baron Corbin can do when given a mid-card title. I'm sure that one will come in time, and I'm waiting for it... but I feel as if right now would be a great time to start investing in guys to fill that NXT Mid-Card role.

Also, when the title does come in... what do you call it? Do you keep that sort-of old school feel going and name it the Television title? Do you name it after someone like Dusty Rhodes? Do you make an Internet title a legit thing? Could the decision on a name be a reason why there currently isn't an NXT Mid-Card title? What do you think?
Proud #BellaArmy Member
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:52 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I call it the NXT World Championship, with the #1 title beng the Woman's championship.

NXT is an hour program, there's not room for a midcard title, and honestly, it just devalues the other 3 titles without having any meaning. The Guys vying for the "Midcard" title, are basically #1 contenders with the roster's current depth which is perfect.

If they absolutely HAVE to throw in another title, I'd do something with the Cruiserweight division.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:53 PM
THE SAND RIPPA

CanadaTed is looking to come up from OCW...

I definitely understand your thought process of having a secondary title in NXT as it would help spotlight some names that may not ever elevate to NXT champion. I do however think things are great the way they are. Having only one title makes it all the more prestigious. Also the title they have now is called the NXT title which makes it difficult to name a new title as you suggested. The NXT title would have to be renamed in addition to there being a new title in the mix. Another thing to think about is that NXT is still only a one hour show. There's the NXT title, Women's title, and tag titles already.. that seems to be enough for the time being.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:18 PM
K. O. T. R. 2007 Team Undisputed
WWE European Champion

King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...

If NXT becomes a two hour show, and the roster size grows to the point where one main Championship Title Belt and one set of Tag Team Championship Title Belts isn't enough, then yes, I wouldn't mind a secondary Championship Title Belt in NXT.

I wouldn't go for a Championship Title strictly just for guys that are 225 lbs. or lighter. You don't want to back yourself into a corner like what happened to TNA a few years back. You would end up with the same issue, only in this case, there wouldn't be a Championship for the bigger mid-card guys to fight for. I also wouldn't name it the Television, Internet, or Network Championship Title, though it's not an entirely bad idea.

I was thinking of a combination of these 2 designs.

In honor of the man behind NXT, the King of Kings, the Authority, the Game, hell, I'd start calling him the Business, if I could, Triple H, I'd call this new Championship, the X-Generation Championship Title Belt (I just though Nex Division sounded kind of "light"). I think by doing this, the WWE would show the World that nobody does "Independent" Wrestling like the WWE, and it's a great subtle shot at the "competition".

Oh who am I kidding, I just want to buy new Championship Title Belt already!! Somebody make new ones!!

I don't care if you know!! I don't care if you care!!

Last edited by King Patrick Star : 02-16-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 PM
Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie
WWE Women's Champion

stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...

You name it the NXT Southern Heavyweight Championship. Trips is an "Old-School" NWA fan. NXT already does stuff to honor the old Florida territory, why not a championship? Either that, or you can relegate the US Championship to NXT. It would not be a bad move. You can do more with that title in NXT than they are doing on the Main Roster.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:25 AM
Registered Suplex Offender
WWE Diva's Champion

Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I'd call it unnecessary, but the question isn't "should they add a secondary title," it's, "what do you call it."

I like the idea of TV much better than a weight restriction title. Actual combat sports have weight division to keep fights fair. A heavyweight in MMA or boxing would decimate a smaller competitor. In professional wrestling you're selling entertainment only, so Rey Mysterio can pin Big Show if it entertains the fans and draws money.

Weight class restrictions in today's pro wrestling are not necessary. You want the guys who are drawing to hold titles. The guys who were once considered too small now headline the show, why pigeonhole yourself creatively?

A TV can be held by the tall and the small. It goes pigeonhole creative differently though, in that one person must be featured weekly in order to defend the title. That's not the worst as generally speaking you want to continue the storyline of someone you're pushing.

What about reviving the European title in NXT? It would have a nostalgia effect at least. Otherwise I would consider some other outside the box ideas like a triple threat title (yeah TNA did it with the X title), something like the ROH pure title where you run out of rope breaks, or perhaps a title with a match time limit.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

wwetnadudez is looking to come up from OCW...wwetnadudez is looking to come up from OCW...wwetnadudez is looking to come up from OCW...wwetnadudez is looking to come up from OCW...

NXT is fine the way it is. Not everyone has to be after a title. They have to find some ways to make people feud without having a simple I want to be the champion story. It helps them grow as a personality and a character.

Also, NXT is an hour long show. Featuring a primary mens championship, womens championship and a tag team championship is just enough. Anything more would be overkill.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:23 AM
SHALL WE BEGIN?
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...

They barely have enough legit upper level guys to keep the big title scene rolling.... A secondary title would be useless. They have the unprecedented advantage of the Women's title being not just a legit secondary title, but every bit the main event level belt the NXT title is.

For now. Perhaps after they grow a little more, but even then itll be unnecessary most likely.

Popularity =/= more titles.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal View Post
They barely have enough legit upper level guys to keep the big title scene rolling.....
I have to disagree with this comment as I think there are plenty of guys to keep the NXT Championship picture rolling along nicely, especially with the way NXT is booked as a whole. I mean, for instance, we don't see the NXT Champion on TV every week, or any of the other champions in NXT for that matter; as a result, much of the time of NXT is spent building up potential challengers and setting up title programs that usually culminate at the NXT TakeOver specials. Balor, Joe, Corbin, Crews, Zayn & Aries are more than adequate to keep the NXT Championship picture fresh.

That being said, a secondary male championship at this point isn't really needed because, as has been pointed out, NXT only has a 1 hour show each week. If they were to add a 2nd hour or developed another 1 hour program, then I could see the potential need of a mid-card championship.

As for what to call it, I kinda like King Patrick's "X Generation Championship" suggestion, but I most definitely wouldn't go for some combination of TNA's current X Division & GFW's NEX GEN Championships. I mean, as a whole, I'm not overly wild about NXT's title designs but the X Division looks like the bastard child of the NXT and 2000s Intercontinental Championships while the NEX GEN title just seems too blah; one's too ugly and the other's like the plain girl in homeroom that nobody notices. I'd prefer something a bit more old school, maybe something along the lines of the old NWA Television Championship design, but that's highly unlikely to happen since NXT is going for these "one of a kind" sort of designs.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 02-17-2016, 08:46 AM
SHALL WE BEGIN?

Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
I have to disagree with this comment as I think there are plenty of guys to keep the NXT Championship picture rolling along nicely, especially with the way NXT is booked as a whole. I mean, for instance, we don't see the NXT Champion on TV every week, or any of the other champions in NXT for that matter; as a result, much of the time of NXT is spent building up potential challengers and setting up title programs that usually culminate at the NXT TakeOver specials. Balor, Joe, Corbin, Crews, Zayn & Aries are more than adequate to keep the NXT Championship picture fresh.
As you say, good sir, the champ isn't on tv every week. Your post actually illustrates my point.

Hence them not having (or needing) very many guys to bolster the title picture. Six (five contenders) is not a large number when that is basically the entirety of your main male competitors, and you only have one belt.

Like, think of that. Their main roster is basically six dudes

No room for a secondary title.