WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Intercontinental Champion

The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...
Default Why Money Inc.?

I think most of us agree that Ted Dibiase was one of the best heels the WWF ever had. He debuted with the company in 1987 and was an immediate main event player beginning a program with Hulk Hogan upon his arrival. In fact he was responsible for ending Hoganís four year title reign. Even though he didnít get a title reign of his own Dibiase would remain a top heel in the WWF for the next few years seamlessly bouncing from the upper mid card to the main event when needed. In early 1992 Dibiase transitioned from singles star to the tag team division. He formed Money Incorporated with Irwin R. Schyster and the pair won three tag titles in the year and a half they were together. Money Inc. was definitely a great tag team but at the time I was a little surprised to see Dibiase give up his singles career.

Usually when someone moves from singles to tag team itís because their best days are behind them but the new team could give them some extra mileage. I didnít notice Dibiase being on a downward slope in 1992 but maybe he was. He already worked with most of the top faces of the time and a lot of his guys from his era were leaving the company. Maybe switching to the tag division helped extend Dibiaseís career. Or maybe the tag division needed Dibiase more than he needed it. Over the past year The Hart Foundation, Rockers, Demolition, and Power & Glory either split up or left the company. The tag division was getting weaker so maybe a credible guy like Dibiase getting a partner and becoming champions was more to help the weakening division than save Dibiase.

Or maybe it was both. I felt Dibiase still had plenty to offer as a singles wrestler but with the amount of turnover in 1992 maybe the WWF didnít feel the same way. Instead of just cutting him loose they decided to strengthen their weakening tag division. Iím not sure if Dibiase really needed Money Inc. but I do think IRS benefited tremendously from the team. The wrestling accountant could have easily been thrown in the terrible gimmick category with the wrestling garbage man, wrestling plumber, and wrestling dentist. Instead thanks to both Mike Rotundaís talent but also his partnership with Ted Dibiase, itís easy to overlook how silly the IRS gimmick actually was and view Irwin R. Schyster as a perfectly legitimate competitor. So maybe Money Inc. was more to help IRS.

So why do you think Money Inc. was formed? Was it to extend Dibiaseís career, save IRSís career, or help the tag division? Donít get me wrong. Even though Iím questioning why Money Inc. even happened doesnít mean I didnít like them. I thought they were a great team. So maybe thatís a fourth option. Maybe the reason was simply it was a good idea that just worked. What do you think?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:34 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

I enjoyed the Money Inc tag team, Ive no idea why they formed the team it was possibly a mixture of all the reasons you gave but they were still featured in main matches so I don't see it as much of a demotion for him, I would have prefered to see him stick around a bit longer after Money Inc ended in 1993 and maybe went on to feud with some of the top wrestlers of the new generation as a singles wrestler and I still think he's the best wrestler ever that has never won a world title, Even his manager days with the Million dollar corporation was cut short in my opinion and could have went on longer. I always expected him to come back at some point and manage his son Ted jr which also never happened.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:41 PM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

According to DiBiase's book, it was a pretty mutual decision between himself and Vince that DiBiase was never going to be as big a singles star as they originally thought. They felt he'd get more over as a tag team guy, and because of his years of experience, he'd be a mentor to anyone he tagged with. And it turned out they were right, he had more success as a tag team competitor and got even more over as a heel.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:07 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...

If you look back at his career before MDM he had a lot of success as a tag team wrestler in Mid South and Japan so it wasn't a difficult transition for him.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:27 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
So why do you think Money Inc. was formed?
It was probably a combination of things.

1) The Million Dollar Man character had pretty much run it's course as a main event/upper mid card talent. DiBiase had just finished feuding with his longtime bodyguard Virgil and he had been at the top for 5 years. A long time for a single character. It was probably to give the "Million Dollar Man" character a fresh start and lend some credibility to the IRS character.

What I find interesting is he didn't want to be a tag team wrestler. He preferred singles. DiBiase also had a lot of personal problems going on at the time. He was close to losing his marriage in 1991 or 1992 so I think giving DiBiase a travel companion in Rotundo (a family man) was a good idea.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:15 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

Dibiase's run at the top was over by the time Money Inc formed. His career was definitely winding down. He was the first man eliminated in the '92 Rumble and he'd have his last WWE match at Summer Slam the following year.

Money Inc were only interesting because of Dibiase. He still had something to offer wrestling at the time.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:52 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

Dibiase was still entertaining in the early 90s but his run as a top liner heel was pretty much 1987-88.
He went from fueding with Hogan and Savage in main events down to fueding with Jake and Jimmy Snuka in 1989- midcard attractions.

By 1991 he was even jobbing to Virgil .... that pretty much showed how much Ted had fallen from grace from being the companys top heel 4 years earlier.

Still at least the tag team with IRS gave him 3 tag title runs.... both very sound wrestlers. Shame they were often depicted as cheap skates though... such as Wrestlemania 8 where they simply walked out on purpose to take the countout loss yet retain the titles.
Still beating LOD in their primes isn't to be sniffed at. I think Money Inc worked well for Dibiase... in the singles ranks by this point- he was geneally putting over rising babyfaces, so the tag team gave him some time in the spotlight again
Old 02-08-2016, 07:32 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I don't know if this was the original intention but Money Inc. seemed to me to be one the ways Vince was showing that he was readying the WWF for the New Generation. DiBiase was, and still is, known as a big name from the 1980s primarily and in 1992 Vince was starting to look to the future. Shortly after Money Inc's debut we'd see Bret v Bulldog headline Summerslam and the Hitman would be champion by year's end. Their debut also came after Hogan's supposed retirement at Wrestlemania VIII, another indication that the WWF was finally moving on from the Rock n' Wrestling Days.

So I always took it as a way of keeping DiBiase relevant as they moved him from the upper midcard. That was either tag wrestling, WCW or he start jobbing out to guys so this was the preferred the option.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Ted was always Upper Midcard rather than main event, he got a handful of main events in 1988 but other than that he was exclusively upper mid.

DiBiase has spoken about this relatively recently and not quite as described in his book.

Basically around that time was when his wife discovered his affairs and he turned to religion/made real efforts to save his marriage/solve his issues. Being part of the tag team meant he had someone on the road with him who was also a religious family man (Mike Rotundo) to help keep him straight and meant he could be at home a little more to help salvage his marriage as he didn't need to be at every show.

Money Inc. were not really "depush" for Ted, they won the titles almost immediately and were always portrayed as a cut above your average tag team champions. Indeed they worked with The Steiners and later Hogan and Beefcake, both important feuds as Scott & Rick were a big "get" at the time and Hogan's return was a big deal...they were also a "safe pair of hands" to work with Brutus, who was still getting over that horrific face...injury

In truth, Money Inc were probably the first of the WWE "Superteams" - I don't mean the Megapowers type but the template of today, where two mid card guys are put together to create something better. Miz, Morrison, Showmiz/Jerichshow are more recent examples. Remember Rotunda was a relatively big name in the WWE, with his US Express and WCW runs making him a top 15 in the world level guy... IRS didn't really catch on till he was with Ted, in reality it wasn't even a year after he debuted as IRS that the team formed...then it made perfect sense and once that team caught on, you saw more appear very quickly like Shawn & Diesel, Owen and Yoko and The Allied Powers.

Last edited by THTRobtaylor : 02-08-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:10 PM

sdelfin is looking to come up from OCW...sdelfin is looking to come up from OCW...

Dibiase was still in great form as a wrestler when Money Inc. was formed, even though his in-ring career would be cut short in 1993. It was the character of the Million Dollar Man that was on the downside at that point, which is something that just happens in wrestling. There always needs to be turnover. Dibiase lasted for a long time near the top of the card and there was no way they were going to be able to properly sell him in the main event anymore because the audience had already seen it. Even Hogan/Andre lost its audience over time.

Dibiase spent most of 88 chasing and losing to Randy Savage, taking the blow-off pin at Summerslam in a great match. At Survivor Series 89, he looked really good in a losing effort against Hogan as a means to protect Zeus. He got used up a year later, getting destroyed by Hogan at the Survivor Series and then pummelled by the Warrior the next night on TV(taped). They ruined all their heels in 1990. Money Inc. was a good way to extend the lifespan of the character of the Million Dollar Man and give credibility to the tag division, especially with Flair around as his character was a similar kind of heel to Dibiase.