WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-01-2016, 07:36 AM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
Million Dollar Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default I just watched LU season 2, episode 1

So, I just watched Lucha Underground Season 2 Episode 1. Of course before that I had watched the Season 1 Recap, just to to know the major characters of the show. It was my first time watching anything lucha related and I really wanted to give my thoughts on the show.

So, here we go. This might be a little be messy, because I'm not good at arranging my thoughts very well.

Things I didn't like
Since it was my first time watching lucha wrestling, sometimes the action in the ring felt weird to me. Lots of kicks and lots of jumping. The flying spots were great, some moves I hadn't seen before. What I didn't like about the in-ring action, was mainly the offesnse. The kicks sometimes didn't feel that realistic, they looked kinda fake and some spots didn't look as devastating as they would look on WWE for example.
I don't know why I had this impression, maybe it's the camera angle, maybe it's beacuse the camera is doing so many close ups in the wrestlers and their moves get exposed, I don't know. It's just that WWE can make the in-ring action more realistic to me, than it seemed in that episode.

Things I liked
I really like how they are making it seem like a TV series and not just as a standard wrestling series. TV series are ruling right now with shows like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad getting so many great reviews. It was a nice touch and I believe it really tells the story better than WWE's segments in the ring or backstage interviews, which one might say are outdated. Sure promos are nice, since it's a way to see how the crowd reacts to a wrestler, but those movie-like segments also make the show somewhat special and really build the characters that are portrayed on TV. When I watch a TV show, I want it be out of this world, like a TV show. I want the characters to captivate me. I think that's WWE's problem nowadays. No characters, no backstories.

The way the camera moves during in the ring action was something different, but I'm 50-50 on it. I don't think that there's a need for it to move so much and do so many close ups.

I liked how the entire night was placed around the main championship, the Lucha Underground Championship, which is equivalent to a World Championship. That should be the main focus of every wrestling shows. Every superstar should have their eyes set on the top prize every time of the year. Something the WWE rarely forgets and seems to remember only during Wrestlemania season.

The main event was nice. Mil Muertes beating that chick was a nice way to give him heat. Plus the hero comes out and makes the save. Then the thing that cought off guard was Pentagon coming out and attack the champion under a lot of cheers. I thought he was a heel? But as I said, every wrestler should gun for the top prize.

Various thoughts and questions
The space between the crowd and the ring is way too small. Also there are some stairs there and if anyone takes a suicide dive and land on those stairs it could even mean the end of his life.

Do women compete with men? Or was an one-night thing?

Is Lucha Undergorund its own company, or are they under a certain other company and that's just the show's name? Also do they appear in other shows like PPV or only in the LU show?

That was all. What is your take on LU?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:23 AM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgreece View Post

Things I didn't like
Since it was my first time watching lucha wrestling, sometimes the action in the ring felt weird to me. Lots of kicks and lots of jumping. The flying spots were great, some moves I hadn't seen before. What I didn't like about the in-ring action, was mainly the offesnse. The kicks sometimes didn't feel that realistic, they looked kinda fake and some spots didn't look as devastating as they would look on WWE for example.
I don't know why I had this impression, maybe it's the camera angle, maybe it's beacuse the camera is doing so many close ups in the wrestlers and their moves get exposed, I don't know. It's just that WWE can make the in-ring action more realistic to me, than it seemed in that episode.
Hm, I never really noticed this before. It's entirely possible that the camera work has something to do with your opinion on this but it also might just be the Lucha style. Some of these guys are so smooth in the way that they perform the moves and take them that the impact might not be there every time. I wouldn't let this deter you from the show. You're guaranteed to see some incredible matches once guys like Puma, Mundo, and Mysterio show up.

Quote:
Things I liked
I really like how they are making it seem like a TV series and not just as a standard wrestling series. TV series are ruling right now with shows like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad getting so many great reviews. It was a nice touch and I believe it really tells the story better than WWE's segments in the ring or backstage interviews, which one might say are outdated. Sure promos are nice, since it's a way to see how the crowd reacts to a wrestler, but those movie-like segments also make the show somewhat special and really build the characters that are portrayed on TV. When I watch a TV show, I want it be out of this world, like a TV show. I want the characters to captivate me. I think that's WWE's problem nowadays. No characters, no backstories.
I completely agree with this. The production is so over the top that it's almost impossible not to be enamored with LU's style. It was even a little more "tv-show like" than last season. As long as you can accept the fact that Lucha Underground is more of a tv series with wrestling sprinkled in than an actual wrestling show, than you'll wholly enjoy it. Also, they do sprinkle in the odd live promo now and than.

Quote:
I liked how the entire night was placed around the main championship, the Lucha Underground Championship, which is equivalent to a World Championship. That should be the main focus of every wrestling shows. Every superstar should have their eyes set on the top prize every time of the year. Something the WWE rarely forgets and seems to remember only during Wrestlemania season.
Yeah, I was a little iffy on the whole Mil Muertes running the show deal, but I can't argue that they didn't make him look like the star of the show. He was featured all night and his match with Ivelisse was fantastic. I couldn't be more excited for his feud with Pentagon. That's going to be craziness personified. However, and you may not realize this considering you just started watching this season, I thought it was dumb of them to take the Gifts of the Gods title from Fenix after he just won it at Ultima Lucha. Fenix was getting really over and it seems like they just decided to halt his momentum.

Quote:
The main event was nice. Mil Muertes beating that chick was a nice way to give him heat. Plus the hero comes out and makes the save. Then the thing that cought off guard was Pentagon coming out and attack the champion under a lot of cheers. I thought he was a heel? But as I said, every wrestler should gun for the top prize.
He was a heel last season, but he was getting cheered about halfway through the year. After a while the crowd was chanting his name. I'm just wondering if we're going to see anything continue from the Vampiro/Pentagon storyline last year. They haven't really brought that up other than in the first scene.

Quote:
Do women compete with men? Or was an one-night thing?
Well there are really only 2 active female competitors, Ivelisse and Sexy Star. But yes, they fight the men regularly.

Quote:
Is Lucha Undergorund its own company, or are they under a certain other company and that's just the show's name? Also do they appear in other shows like PPV or only in the LU show?
It's not a physical company. It's produced by One Three Media and the El Rey Network. Lucha Underground is just the name of the show. No PPV's as far as I'm aware of... at least there ween't any last year. There's just the Ultima Lucha supershow at the end of the year.

Quote:
That was all. What is your take on LU?
I like it. I care more about the characters in LU after one episode of season 2 than I do after watching WWE for the past few months. Character progression is key for me and LU is superb at adding depth and intrigue to all of their characters. It's probably the most entertaining hour of wrestling on TV in my opinion.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Friendly Neighborhood
WWE Diva's Champion

@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...

After more waiting than I'd like, I finally got around to watching episode 1 this weekend. I binge watched season one, much like I do for pretty much any television I watch, so waiting week to week is going to be a bit of a transition for me.

Ultimately, I was quite pleased. The most important thing for me was that the narrative of season one continues, which indeed prevailed. That's not to say I loved every second, but to elaborate;

What I liked;
The evolution of Ivelisse, SoH and Angelico; they stand together at the top of the show, at odds from how they felt about each other in season one. It was suggested that they'd get it together after losing the Trios championship, but the sight of them arriving together by motorbike was a thing of beauty. Of course, Catrina's offer threatens to revisit the divide with the chance at Mil Muertes. However, after the Triple threat contest, Havoc and Angelico remain at Ivelisse's side! Magical!

King Cuerno is the new Gift of the Gods Champion; I always thought it would be interesting for WWE to have a heel Champion who has the Money in the Bank holder as an insured body guard of sorts. Looks like LU beat them to it. Also, 'dat cradle tombstone, 'doe.

What I didn't like
The lighting change; I almost wanted to give this a like, but I can't. It is smart because it gives Mil and Catrina more power, as there's a physical change in the look of the temple. My issue, is that another change, Mil's throne, is completely obscured! If it looks like it is drawn in the Lucha Underground comic, then they need to make that beast visible! Not just throne, either. Character has been sucked out of the temple to a large degree. I know there were budget cuts, but they need a stronger lighting design.

Questions going forward;
With all these moving pieces; Mil and Catrina ruling the temple, Puma likely remaining in the title picture, Dario Cueto and company on the road, Pentagon Jr's rise and the soft-retcon of Vampiro's insanitty; I cannot wait to see where they land.

Also, did Dario Cueto need 60 dollars THAT badly? Did he leave all his money in the office? That's shitty financial planning.

No. No one else misses Rybaxel
Old 02-02-2016, 10:58 PM
The LD Dweller

Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DearWrestler View Post
What I liked;
The evolution of Ivelisse, SoH and Angelico; they stand together at the top of the show, at odds from how they felt about each other in season one. It was suggested that they'd get it together after losing the Trios championship, but the sight of them arriving together by motorbike was a thing of beauty. Of course, Catrina's offer threatens to revisit the divide with the chance at Mil Muertes. However, after the Triple threat contest, Havoc and Angelico remain at Ivelisse's side! Magical!
I love this storyline. When I first saw him, Son of Havok to me was just a white guy in plain black tights and a plain black mask with a beard. He lost his first match, an intergender match, and would go on to lose to a mini and an exótico. There was dissension between him an Ivelisse and it seemed like he wouldn't amount to much; she would dump him and he'd just be a loser. But to see him finally get that win was awesome, and seeing him evolve into a fan favorite is awesome. Then there were troubles with the Trios team but they won the title in a good match with some pretty good storytelling and it felt really good. It's nice seeing the three still together.

I thought it was a good show. I'm interested in seeing how Pentagon Jr. vs Muertes turns out, and having Pentagon come out and attack him and break his arm was nice. Pentagon is basically a face now with all the reactions he was getting last year and the twist at Ultima Lucha with Vampiro. I don't see them doing heel vs heel with Cuerno and Muertes, which is a problem with MiTB as it gives the option of either the main championship changing or the Gift of the Gods championship changing. With MiTB, it's just cut and dry with the heel cashing in on the defenseless face, or the face cashing in on the other face or a heel.

Anyway, this season will be fun. I've been avoiding spoilers, so I'm not sure when they'll have Mysterio, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he does. I'm also curious with this Matanza character and what he'll look like and all. It'll be an interesting season, and a pretty fun one too.

Last edited by Black Anaconda Vise : 02-02-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:20 AM
Friendly Neighborhood
WWE Diva's Champion

@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Anaconda Vise View Post
I don't see them doing heel vs heel with Cuerno and Muertes, which is a problem with MiTB as it gives the option of either the main championship changing or the Gift of the Gods championship changing. With MiTB, it's just cut and dry with the heel cashing in on the defenseless face, or the face cashing in on the other face or a heel.
You lost me here. Either I misread you or I missed a plot point. Didn't Catrina's meeting with Cuerno suggest that he's agreed not to cash in the Gift of the Gods while Mil is champion?

Old 02-03-2016, 03:29 AM
The LD Dweller

Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DearWrestler View Post
You lost me here. Either I misread you or I missed a plot point. Didn't Catrina's meeting with Cuerno suggest that he's agreed not to cash in the Gift of the Gods while Mil is champion?
Yeah, I forgot about that, my bad. It was suggested that Cuerno got his shot as long as he didn't cash in on Mil. So I guess either Cuerno loses it or turns or Mil loses the title against someone.

Nonetheless, the fact that the Gift of the Gods has to be defended like a championship is something I wish they'd do with the MiTB case. Having Fenix lose to Cuerno just shows that anything could happen and now there's a new person who could get a shot rather than just waiting for the MiTB winner to cash in.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:49 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Lucha Underground is forging its own identity with its different, TV series style format. At the same time, however, I think that sort of format will ultimately keep it limited to its own niche audience; I might be wrong and it may just continue to grow, only time will tell.

As for the style, as with anything else, it has its potential strengths and weaknesses. Years back, I was able to watch several episodes of AAA on Telemundo and the Lucha Libre style, as a whole, just doesn't work for me. AAA, when I watched it, was all about high spots, little to no selling, no storytelling and transitioning from one high spot to another. The language barrier didn't help things, but so many of the wrestlers themselves were so outlandishly cartoonish in terms of their personas that it made 95% of the WWE PG personas look like something out of the Attitude Era.

I haven't watched Lucha Underground, so I can't speak as much about it. I know it's gotten a good deal of positive acclaim for its approach but, as I said, it seems like its geared towards a particular niche and if it's not careful, that'll be what it winds up being stuck with like we saw with ECW in that you may not attract new viewers without altering key aspects while, simultaneously, you risk alienating and turning off the audience that's been watching if you do alter the format.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 02-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
Million Dollar Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

Okay I guys, from what I'm guessing from your posts, I come to realize that the Gifts of the God Championship is also something like MITB? Nice. I didn't know that. So it's the secondary belt and a #1 contendership guarrantee and the same time? Nice. And it makes sense. It's logical that the #2 champion in the company should be first in line for the #1 champion.

How does the Gift of the Gods work? Does the holder get an actual match when he wishes? If he loses it does he still have the right to get a match for the World title or does he have to win it back?
Old 02-03-2016, 05:53 PM
I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
Million Dollar Champion

Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:

How does the Gift of the Gods work? Does the holder get an actual match when he wishes? If he loses it does he still have the right to get a match for the World title or does he have to win it back?
Quick run down...

The gift of the gods starts with seven medallions.

Matches are held to award each medallion to a wrestler.

Once all seven medallions are possessed by seven different wrestlers a match is held between them.

The winner of the match is named Gift of Gods champion and receives the belt with all seven medallions included.

It can be defended as a title, but at any point the wrestler who holds it has the right to turn it in and claim a world title shot, as long as he gives at least one week's notice to promote the match.

Once the Gift has been "cashed-in" the seven medallions are removed from the belt and are redistributed, and the process repeats.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Friendly Neighborhood
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
As for the style, as with anything else, it has its potential strengths and weaknesses. Years back, I was able to watch several episodes of AAA on Telemundo and the Lucha Libre style, as a whole, just doesn't work for me. AAA, when I watched it, was all about high spots, little to no selling, no storytelling and transitioning from one high spot to another. The language barrier didn't help things, but so many of the wrestlers themselves were so outlandishly cartoonish in terms of their personas that it made 95% of the WWE PG personas look like something out of the Attitude Era.

I haven't watched Lucha Underground, so I can't speak as much about it. I know it's gotten a good deal of positive acclaim for its approach but, as I said, it seems like its geared towards a particular niche and if it's not careful, that'll be what it winds up being stuck with like we saw with ECW in that you may not attract new viewers without altering key aspects while, simultaneously, you risk alienating and turning off the audience that's been watching if you do alter the format.
I'm not sure it's as niche as you think, at least no more than any other wrestling program. Say what you will about the Lucha wrestling style, not for everyone, that's fair. But with roster alumni like Big Ryck, or Alberto El Patron, and current names like Cage or Mil Muertes show that they have more to offer.

As far as the storytelling, it may be flawed in the ring sometimes, but the storylines have a level of sophistication I've wanted out of wrestling for years, now. I'm not just talking about stylized backstage segments, either. The tale of Pentagon It's master was so well executed that I hope WWE writers watched and were ashamed of themselves. Linking this notion to the fact that we are in a television golden age where storytelling reigns supreme (successful programs such as Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones) could break them out of a pigeonholed niche audience.