WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-29-2016, 07:17 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...
Default "Indy Darlings" and the Intercontinental title, would you be satisfied?

I was thinking the other day about how the Hardcore IWC hating on guys like Cena, Roman and the non workrate heavy Indy guys. This isn't unlike the 80s with guys like Hulk and Warrior.

What if the WWE went back to the formula where those "body" guys have the world title and their main events and this influx of Indy guys compete for the IC title and the smaller lighter guys have the US Title

Look at the talent they could fill, Intercontinental Title With,
AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Finn Balor, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Austin Aries, Shinske Nakamura, Cesaro..

US Title ; Kalisto, Neville, Kidd, Itami, Woods, Cody,

Wow, right? Obviously these guys could compete for both, but you catch my drift..

I left off Ambrose and Apollo Crews because Dean has been in and out of the Main event scene for 2 years now and I just have a feeling bout Crews and I think he's going to get pushed to the moon on Raw.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:32 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...A11oftheLights worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Will not work. The hardcore IWC have no interest in anything other than having a darling as World Champion. That could be because the way shows are booked these days the only story that gets any attention is the main story. If WWE changed that and made every segment further a story or mean something would that change the way those hardcore fans react? Maybe but probably not. But I cant see anything changing anytime soon, Raw has no competitor at all and for as long as Vince holds a monopoly over mainstream wrestling they have no need to change
Old 01-29-2016, 08:39 AM

YatesA is looking to come up from OCW...

The thing is, a lot of the smaller "Indy darlings" are simply better at everything in the world of pro wrestling than most of the bigger guys who are pushed no end. Maybe that's why they are cheered more than others. However that IC Title group would be insane, they wouldn't be out of place competing for the World Title to be honest.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 AM
With the safety off!!
NWA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

So let me get this right. You want just the home grown WWE guys like Cena, Orton, Reigns etc be main event material. And only they should be allowed to compete for the WHC.

Anyone who came from another promotion like Rollins, Ambrose, Styles, Balor, Bryan (if he returns), Cesaro etc go for the IC Title. And if they are smaller guys basically turn the US title into the Cruiserweight Title.

I'm sorry but I just don't get this Indy guys versus WWE guys. Can't they all just be wrestlers, going out there night after night doing what they do for our entertainment. It really irks me that fans feel that someone like Ambrose or Cesaro isn't good enough to compete for the highest title, when they are. And I don't understand the mindset of fans who say the are wrestling fans, when it's obvious they only like what Vince wants them too.

I see a lot of people on this forum use the expression WWE sheep, and I'm beginning to wonder if they are right.

Any wrestler worth his salt who comes to work for the WWE should be able to compete for whatever belt they deem him necessary. It should be based on skill and talent, not where they came from or what they're wrestling background is. If we go with the OP's idea, then Roman Reigns will be holding the title from now till God knows whenever, because the WWE is very slow in building new stars, and they haven't even started on the next one yet.

All the names coming out of NXT to the main roster are from other companies and they would be exempt under the OP's criteria to challenge Reigns for the title. I think a lot of fans would turn away and go watch other promotions where good wrestlers are given the chance to excel, not be held back. I for one would.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:35 AM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

This thread is a bit confusing because the OP seems to simultaneously understand and not have a clue how the mind set of hardcore internet fans work.

The problem with relying entirely on outside indie talent, the way many of the hardcore net fans would prefer, is that the bodies of some of these are just plain worn out. A lot of these guys have killed themselves out there on the indie scene by putting their bodies through hell via insane spots because that's a huge part of the bread and butter of these guys out on the indie circuit. Ever notice how so many ROH matches seem to have this insane, nonstop pace in their matches that're packed with spots with hardly any storytelling or selling? That's usually how the indie scene as a whole works and it can result in wrestlers burning themselves out just as surely as the WWE's schedule. Part of the reason why WWE puts more emphasis on storytelling and selling rather than these insane paces and spots is because the wrestlers would be lucky to last a year before their bodies gave out, given WWE's intensive tour schedule; it's a big reason why the wrestlers are "limited" or their move sets aren't as expanded as they could be. It's one thing wrestling a maybe 3 or 4 times a month and wrestling 5 days or so out of the week, every week,

As for the notion of having only guys like Cena or Orton challenge for the WWE World Championship, this is where I get confused. It's as if the OP hasn't been watching WWE for the past several years and hasn't seen the sort of reaction of the fans when the likes of CM Punk or Daniel Bryan haven't gotten shots at the main event. It's not just "internet fans" who're believe that the title shouldn't be only for the 250 pound or more club; I think most fans don't give a damn if the wrestler is homegrown or an indie darling so long as he has the talent and the ability to keep them interested in what he's doing. The problem most fans have, in my opinion, is that so many of these more talented and interesting guys are guys who either aren't part of the 250 pound or more club or who don't have the cosmetic "look" that Vince McMahon seems to prize more than most other factors. Over the last 15 years or so, I'd say that probably a good 75% of the most talented wrestlers who've been debuting in professional wrestling, in terms of in-ring ability, personality, charisma, etc. have been guys who're generally within the 5'8" to 6'0" height range and 180 to 220 pound weight range. Compared to big stars of the past like Hogan, Sting, Warrior, Sid & Nash and more modern stars like Cena, Lesnar, Sheamus & Reigns, most of the more talented, emerging stars are physically much smaller and don't have the sort of Herculean physique of the larger guys.

The thing is, however, that the mind set of WWE will have no choice but to change because the success of NXT and its growth have dramatically altered the way WWE scouts talent to sign who've had experience as wrestlers and talent whom they hope to build from the ground up. Vince may prefer larger guys in the top spot but Vince won't be around forever and if Triple H is pegged to ultimately take his place, it's pretty obvious that he has a different sort of mind set than Vince and is more in tune with the mind set of modern fans. Vince is stubbornly holding into some old ideals and are become more obsolete with each passing year when it comes to the sort of cosmetic image top should have.

Now that isn't to say that bigger guys aren't talented, that's just crap. There are a lot of larger guys, yes guys with great physiques, who have a lot of ability and have demonstrated said ability time & time again. There are some hardcore internet fans, however, who would rather die than admit to such a thing and really go so far as to be downright prejudiced against guys well north of 6'0" and really well built. As I said, I don't think most fans genuinely care so long as the wrestler has talent, keeps them interested and feels fresh; the problem stems from the fact that, in the minds of most fans, there are guys currently on the roster, and who have been on the roster for a while, who're flat out more talented and entertaining than the guys who've been getting pushed to the main event spots and most of these "more talented and entertaining" wrestlers happen to be guys who're under, right at or just slightly over the 220 pound mark
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 01-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Who Am I?
ECW TV Champion

ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
So let me get this right. You want just the home grown WWE guys like Cena, Orton, Reigns etc be main event material. And only they should be allowed to compete for the WHC.

Anyone who came from another promotion like Rollins, Ambrose, Styles, Balor, Bryan (if he returns), Cesaro etc go for the IC Title. And if they are smaller guys basically turn the US title into the Cruiserweight Title.

I'm sorry but I just don't get this Indy guys versus WWE guys. Can't they all just be wrestlers, going out there night after night doing what they do for our entertainment. It really irks me that fans feel that someone like Ambrose or Cesaro isn't good enough to compete for the highest title, when they are. And I don't understand the mindset of fans who say the are wrestling fans, when it's obvious they only like what Vince wants them too.

I see a lot of people on this forum use the expression WWE sheep, and I'm beginning to wonder if they are right.

Any wrestler worth his salt who comes to work for the WWE should be able to compete for whatever belt they deem him necessary. It should be based on skill and talent, not where they came from or what they're wrestling background is. If we go with the OP's idea, then Roman Reigns will be holding the title from now till God knows whenever, because the WWE is very slow in building new stars, and they haven't even started on the next one yet.

All the names coming out of NXT to the main roster are from other companies and they would be exempt under the OP's criteria to challenge Reigns for the title. I think a lot of fans would turn away and go watch other promotions where good wrestlers are given the chance to excel, not be held back. I for one would.
Exactly. I do feel that WWE is much focussed on its homegrown talents right now like Baron Corbin, Roman Reigns, Eva Marie, Charlotte, Nikki Bella etc. I think they are doing this because of the success from John Cena & Randy Orton and lack of continuous success from non-WWE veterans like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan etc.

As for the OP, WWE shouldnot biased by considering their choices and likes over skill and talent. I do like the idea of Lightweight division like the X-Division of TNA. Lightweight Championship should easily replace US Title because there is no logic of having a country-based title when you possess a continent-based title. IC Title should be the second title after World Title as IC title covers more area than US Title.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 AM

YatesA is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
Exactly. I do feel that WWE is much focussed on its homegrown talents right now like Baron Corbin, Roman Reigns, Eva Marie, Charlotte, Nikki Bella etc. I think they are doing this because of the success from John Cena & Randy Orton and lack of continuous success from non-WWE veterans like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan etc.

As for the OP, WWE shouldnot biased by considering their choices and likes over skill and talent. I do like the idea of Lightweight division like the X-Division of TNA. Lightweight Championship should easily replace US Title because there is no logic of having a country-based title when you possess a continent-based title. IC Title should be the second title after World Title as IC title covers more area than US Title.

The brilliance of the "X Division" is that it doesn't created a stigma like "cruiserweight" or "light heavyweight" does as some of the smaller guys do become so over that you just have to capatilise and put them into the main event. However I agree US Title should be replaced and have it for the athletic exciting wrestlers but try name it in a way where it doesn't create a huge divide where these guys are never looked at as potential world title contenders.

Light heavyweight would be my preferred out of the 2 you mentioned though.

Last edited by YatesA : 01-29-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:51 AM
I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
Million Dollar Champion

Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...Papa Pillman scored a win over Santino Marella...

I do think that the IC belt has kind of started to pick up the reputation as the "workrate title", but it shouldn't be limited to such a notion.

Also one major problem with the OP: can we please not lump Nakamura in as an "Indy guy"?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:25 AM
SHALL WE BEGIN?
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...

I liked the idea of switching the fueds the titles are involved in...With Kalisto putting on great, high flying matches every week with the IC title, and Ambrose - Owens - et all putting on heavyweight style brawling feuds for the US title.

But yes, the IC title always was, and should be again, the "smarky" title.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...tvcolosi is looking to come up from OCW...

You're right,I don't. IWC are fickle and contradictory to their own points a majority of the time. I'm tired of marks, who insist in calling guys by their Indy names and say "John Cena sucks but Rick Swann of someone like this who's 150lbs and can't cut a promo are" the best"