WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-11-2016, 01:14 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Who was truly the greatest: Sting or Undertaker

With Sting going into the HOF this year, it got me thinking about the same old rivalry that will probably new be: Sting v Undertaker. Both men were stalwarts for their respective companies, both worked their butts off and achieved legendary status. But which one meant the most to wrestling overall?? in 50 years when both guys are long dead, who will we be taking about more? who will have left a greater impact on this business?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:18 PM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Undertaker has no legacy. Everything he did was flushed down the toilet to stroke Brock Lesnar's ego. Undertaker was made to look totally inferior and WWE outright stated "Undertaker CANNOT DEFEAT Brock Lesnar". Everything he ever did was meaningless.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:22 PM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless1 View Post
But which one meant the most to wrestling overall?? in 50 years when both guys are long dead, who will we be taking about more? who will have left a greater impact on this business?
Based on this criteria, I gotta go with The Undertaker. Taker is somebody who has remained at the top of the wrestling business for over 25 years now. 25 YEARS. While Sting did much the same, his time in TNA is what ultimately decides this for me. No disrespect to TNA, but in regards to professional wrestling, it's the "minor leagues" so to speak. While Taker was winning World Championships, putting on classic matches, and padding his undefeated streak at Wrestlemania, Sting was toiling away in TNA obscurity. Had he jumped to WWE in 2001 this would be a much more heated debate but Sting, for all intents and purposes, "disappearing" for 15 years really hurt his legacy as one of the greatest ever.

It's funny because I'm more of a Sting mark, but Taker has undoubtedly compiled one of the greatest careers of all time. Sting has also had an incredible career, but I don't know if it ranks up there with Taker's. Taker will go down in WWE history as a once in a lifetime talent.

Last edited by OYDK : 01-11-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:46 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...

First of all people do live pass a century lol.

Sting was able to work good matches well into his 50s. I've been against him competing in WWE since he signed but honestly he did well considering he'so close to 60. Undertaker just hit 50 and I feel he's unable to carry a match anymore - especially looking at those he has been booked against. That would be only thing I see that drastically separates the two.

Undertaker has had memorable matches in the latter part of his career as well as good gimmick matches and been involved in a couple major WWE moments such as the debut of Kane and the HIAC match against Mankind. Despite his popularity, Undertaker took a backseat to The Rock and Austin and even in later years to Orton and Cena. Much like Sting did to Flair and Hogan.

Sting was the face of WCW. Even if he was clouded by Hogan's arrival for a while, his feud against NWO is a great moment in WCW history. Sting was mentioned up there with Austin during the peak of the latter 90s. But I cannot overlook the Flair, Luger, Butch Reed and Terry Funk matches.

This is just a brief overview I am providing as I don't want to JH the topic but in short I pick Sting. I've seen Sting on TV since '87 and I've always admired his work more.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Knockout Champion

RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
Based on this criteria, I gotta go with The Undertaker. Taker is somebody who has remained at the top of the wrestling business for over 25 years now. 25 YEARS. While Sting did much the same, his time in TNA is what ultimately decides this for me. No disrespect to TNA, but in regards to professional wrestling, it's the "minor leagues" so to speak. While Taker was winning World Championships, putting on classic matches, and padding his undefeated streak at Wrestlemania, Sting was toiling away in TNA obscurity. Had he jumped to WWE in 2001 this would be a much more heated debate but Sting, for all intents and purposes, "disappearing" for 15 years really hurt his legacy as one of the greatest ever.

It's funny because I'm more of a Sting mark, but Taker has undoubtedly compiled one of the greatest careers of all time. Sting has also had an incredible career, but I don't know if it ranks up there with Taker's. Taker will go down in WWE history as a once in a lifetime talent.
This. I couldn't agree with this more. Thankfully, I don't have to exert my nerves much to decide for my own self who really is "the greatest", now!

But just like you, I'm a huge Sting mark. I adore the guy! Steve Borden to me seems like one of the nicest, most honest guys out there..in a profession that isn't exactly known to breed "nice, honest guys"! I have the same opinion about Kane(Glenn Jacobs) and Taker. Respect! How surprising..all of these guys who had something or the other to do with demons, darkness, evil, scorpions(in kayfabe of course), etc..are the nicest guys in the wrestling business.

I will forever feel wistful about the fact that Sting wasted the latter part of his career(2008-2014) in TNA and didn't jump ship. Alas. At least he should've been with the WWE from 2010, or else should have retired. Nonetheless, Taker has such an amazing legacy..so many classic matches...from Wrestlemania to fucking SMACKDOWN!

Triple threat title match with Rock and Angle from Vengeance 2002.
SD WWE title match versus Kurt Angle, in Sep '03.
His match with Cena from Vengeance '03.
His matches against Angle, Shawn Michaels, Batista, Orton, and Austin.
And who can forget the classic against Bret Hart from Summerslam 1997!

So there. Undoubtedly, Taker is the greatest, though my heart wants to consider Sting as an equal. And to be honest, The Undertaker was pretty unidimensional and wrestled really lousy matches up to 1996. Ironically, it's after 1996 with the likes of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and Steve Austin, and Mankind! , that he came to be The Phenom that we perceive him to be!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Anti-Christ of Pro Wrestling
WWE Diva's Champion

Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...Charismatic Enigma is looking to come up from OCW...

Well, ultimately the history books will show it as Undertaker because WWE bought history.

I also think the time in TNA (until WWE buys their tape library, and probably even still then) hurt Sting's legacy.

That said, if we factor truth into the equation, Undertaker was largely rewarded for his loyalty during the mid '90s when virtually every star but Shawn, Bret, and him jumped shipped. His contributions though are often overstated. While he was certainly a present figure in the attitude era, I could easily argue that he was often shoehorned into angles and was a much more insignificant part of the reason for the success of that era than his contemporaries. He did go on to have some classic matches at WM certainly, but a lot of the magic of those matches was propelled by the streak, which we much remember was entirely the result of booking, and nothing to do with him as a performer. So while all those near falls made the hair on your neck stand up as the years went on, that was a product of favorable booking. If it had been anyone else in that role it may have helped to create similar drama for their matches. I will never discredit Taker's longevity, ability to stay relevant, and put on quality matches well past most people's retirement age.

Sting on the other hand, I actually think was the better overall performer in both match quality and mic skills, but he also had a lot of quality opponents to work with, namely Flair. If we were only comparing them up until 2001, then without a doubt I'd give the nod to Sting. However, in the post WCW era, their careers went on very different trajectories simply due to logistics and booking, so it's hard to make a fair comparison after that.

I personally like Sting better as a person. I think Undertaker has overstayed his welcome and his "a little too convenient" excuses of not wanting to break character to get out of doing things has started to rub me the wrong way, as he can break it to be in a motorcycle video, or ya know for the whole American Badass gimmick, but not to induct Paul Bearer in the HOF for example. I think Sting is much more down to earth, normal, humble guy, who does right for the business, and Taker strikes me as the kind of guy that will only allow his legacy to be touched for a friend like Lesnar, but otherwise has no problem chumping out someone like Bray Wyatt.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Knockout Champion

RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charismatic Enigma View Post

Sting on the other hand, I actually think was the better overall performer in both match quality and mic skills, but he also had a lot of quality opponents to work with, namely Flair. If we were only comparing them up until 2001, then without a doubt I'd give the nod to Sting. However, in the post WCW era, their careers went on very different trajectories simply due to logistics and booking, so it's hard to make a fair comparison after that.
True. I feel the same. If you compare them until 2001, probably Sting wins because up to 1996, The Undertaker was a rather unidimensional character and had showed little to no evolution. Basically, wrestled one "big wrestler" after another, resulting in endless utterly drab feuds and even worse matches. You can't really do much, after all, with Kamala, Mabel, Khali, King Kong Bundy, and Giant Gonzales..right? It's only with his Mankind feud did Taker truly shine. Followed by his feuds with Bret, Shawn, and Austin.

Strangely enough, Taker floundered once again after 1999, for 2 years, after which he shines with Lesnar and Angle. Followed by floundering with the likes of Mark Henry and Khali, and then shining with Angle and Shawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charismatic Enigma View Post
I personally like Sting better as a person. I think Undertaker has overstayed his welcome and his "a little too convenient" excuses of not wanting to break character to get out of doing things has started to rub me the wrong way, as he can break it to be in a motorcycle video, or ya know for the whole American Badass gimmick, but not to induct Paul Bearer in the HOF for example. I think Sting is much more down to earth, normal, humble guy, who does right for the business, and Taker strikes me as the kind of guy that will only allow his legacy to be touched for a friend like Lesnar, but otherwise has no problem chumping out someone like Bray Wyatt.
I didn't know him and Lesnar were real-life "friends" ? I had seen that UFC staredown video clip years ago, and have read Lesnar's book. I don't remember ever believing that Lesnar considers anyone a "friend" (besides Paul Heyman) in the wrestling business,and is notorious as an UN-amiable and private person.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Sells seashells by the seashore
Undisputed WWE Champion

Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
Taker is somebody who has remained at the top of the wrestling business for over 25 years now. 25 YEARS. While Sting did much the same, his time in TNA is what ultimately decides this for me. No disrespect to TNA, but in regards to professional wrestling, it's the "minor leagues" so to speak.
Totally agree, and my thoughts on the matter deal not so much with TNA's standing, but Sting's choice to spend all those years with them.

I contrast Steve Borden's decision to work in TNA with Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees. Sting choosing to ply his trade in the minor leagues is like Jeter being called up by the Yankees but choosing instead to stay in Triple A because he was more comfortable there. He'd still be a great ballplayer but would be toiling in relative obscurity, thereby diminishing his 'greatness.'

If you wish to be regarded as an all-time great in pro wrestling, you don't willingly spend your time in the minors; you go where the most fans can see you do what you do.

Even when Undertaker's body wouldn't permit his working full time, he still did his thing on the biggest stage his sport could provide.......and because of it, every match was an event of importance.

Of the two, I pick 'Taker.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:43 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

The only answer is The Undertaker. The only time Sting was white-hot was during late 1996 to late 1997 when he was not actually wrestling but stalking the NWO. He had main evented with big names prior to this such as Flair, Jake Roberts, Vader, and Cactus Jack but he was never as big as Undertaker. Takers only sustained bad patch was 1992 to 1996 when he was against slow monsters and not very good wrestlers. He had main evented with Diesel and Yokozuna in that time though. I also think had Sting gone to WWE in 2001 he could have added to his legacy more than he has.

Finally - all these people saying Undertaker is selfish - he is not. He let his friend Lesnar end his streak so that Lesnar could look more powerful than he already did. Additionally, the marks saying he should have jobbed to Bray Wyatt - if Taker had lost at Wrestlemania 31 then he would have damaged his aura and his drawing power somewhat. However, think he should have won at Survivor Series then put Bray over at TLC. But that won't tarnish a 32 year career and one that has 26 years in WWE as a constant headliner and main eventer. Sting cannot equal that - and to be honest- nobody else can.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:12 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyboyuk2 View Post
The only answer is The Undertaker. The only time Sting was white-hot was during late 1996 to late 1997 when he was not actually wrestling but stalking the NWO. He had main evented with big names prior to this such as Flair, Jake Roberts, Vader, and Cactus Jack but he was never as big as Undertaker. Takers only sustained bad patch was 1992 to 1996 when he was against slow monsters and not very good wrestlers. He had main evented with Diesel and Yokozuna in that time though. I also think had Sting gone to WWE in 2001 he could have added to his legacy more than he has.

Finally - all these people saying Undertaker is selfish - he is not. He let his friend Lesnar end his streak so that Lesnar could look more powerful than he already did. Additionally, the marks saying he should have jobbed to Bray Wyatt - if Taker had lost at Wrestlemania 31 then he would have damaged his aura and his drawing power somewhat. However, think he should have won at Survivor Series then put Bray over at TLC. But that won't tarnish a 32 year career and one that has 26 years in WWE as a constant headliner and main eventer. Sting cannot equal that - and to be honest- nobody else can.
I'm not sure what you were watching but Sting was over from the late 80s until the decline of WCW. He was getting pushed and got over almost in no time. Not to mention he went an entire year making sparodica in-ring appearances in non-wrestling roles and was more over than anyone. I have been to countless shows and his reactions were better than anyone's during the 90s(in WCW). I don't think anybody was hotter than Sting in 91-92. Tell me who was? Sting vs Flair at the first Clash of the Champions, his matches against the Great Muta, feuding the Four Horsemen, his match against Luger at Superbrawl. While you're entitled to believe the Undertaker is better, to say Sting was only hot during those times you listed is silly.

I'm not going to call Undertaker selfish. But I will say that Lesnar did not need the rub from Taker to be over, he was already over from the second he came back to WWE. Even if Taker had lost to Wyatt last year, it doesn't hurt his 20+ year run in the company. The streak is the only thing that made his returns meaningful - that's not a jab at the Undertaker, that's saying because he has nothing else at this stage in his career to prove, which is why so many held onto wanting to see him face Sting despite both being far from their peaks.

I never had an issue with Sting in TNA and felt he worked some quality matches while he was there, apart from the WCW repeats. Abyss, Christian, Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, ect. Whose to say Sting's character would had been booked similar to how he was in WCW? I enjoy the fact he went to a WWE alternative instead of becoming a former WCW main eventer lost in the shuffle(Big Show, Booker T and DDP). The irony of this is while many view him going to TNA as tarnishing his legacy - there's multiple page thread on AJ Styles and the countless ways WWE should book him. While many will justify this as his stint in Japan - the majority of his career was spent and known in TNA. We can't pick and choose here.