WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Knockout Champion

RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default Make your Wrestlemania main event argument (the past events)

1)I was watching the Raw mainevent before NWO '01- Benoit/Angle vs Rock/Austin with HHH on the commentary, the other day. JR makes this remark that "it's going to be a classic, epic confrontation etc. " thus selling the HHH/Austin match at NWO. Obviously, it wasn't a classic, and wasn't supposed to be one. HBK-Taker is classic. Rock-Hogan was epic. HHH vs Austin was just MEH. Nonetheless. I wondered how HHH felt about being considered NOT WORTHY of the WM mainevent because Austin vs Rock was THE MATCH. And it got me thinking.

2)Does the WWE always go with the right mainevent? And by mainevent here, I purely mean the match for the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP and not the match that ended a particular Wrestlemania. Were there wrestlers in the past who deserved to be in the world title match instead of the one who actually was?

3)So let me illuminate you- I will make a few arguments, raise a few questions. You can make your own arguments about particular Wrestlemanias and what you think should have been the mainevent match, and why. You can choose any WM after WM17. Naturally, between 2003-2013, there were two world titles defended on the show so you can go for either of the title. The emphasis is on WHOM you think should've been the challenger/champion and NOT on which match should've closed the show.

4)I am choosing two particular WM championship mainevent matches as my proposed argument. I'll give my reasons. You can either speak against my argument, or for them, in addition to making your own arguments about some other WM world title matches.

A)The WHC championship match at WM22.

Giving the WHC to Rey Mysterio was one of the dumbest things the WWE ever did, IMO. Not only did giving the WHC to a tiny cruiserweight tarnish the legacy of the iconic WHC, but the way they did it(using Eddie's death) was absolutely abominable. My argument is, if you wanted to push someone just on account of Eddie's death, why not choose Chavo instead? Good wrestler. 210 lbs, close to being a heavyweight at least. What about CHRIS BENOIT? Guy was the best wrestler they had on Smackdown that year besides Kurt Angle. He was close to Eddie as well. But instead, he's defending the US title?? (And this is only retrospective guys, so please don't tell me that Benoit would go on to do what he did in 2007. Neither us nor the WWE had any idea in 2006, so it shouldn't affect their booking of him).

Please don't give me the "Rey sells merchandise" BS argument. If tomorrow, Santino Marella were to suddenly sell a lot of socks, and make the WWE some money, they won't put him the main event against Roman Reigns right? I wonder how Ric Flair, Kevin Nash, Sting, among others felt about them giving the WHC to Mysterio.

So here's my argument for the WHC match at WM22:-

Either Kurt Angle(C) vs The Undertaker.
Or a combination of challengers including Chavo Guerrero, Randy Orton, or Chris Benoit.

Jesus fucking Christ..it'd have been a classic had they gone with Angle vs Benoit. Fuck. Or even Angle vs Taker.

Btw, the dumbfucks in the WWE would even go on to give the WHC to rey mysterio for a second time. What an abomination! Guys who actually deserved it at least ONCE between 2002-2010 never got it, including The Big Show, Kane, and Mark Henry.

B. The WWE title mainevent of WM29.

Where do I even begin? John Cena vs Fucking The Rock. For the title. A match which never needed a title, or Cena to win the Rumble. And moreover, they eliminate Punk out of the mainevent. No wonder Punk left. What an abomination!

My argument:- WWE championship match should've been Punk defending against ANYONE,, or against Rock and Cena in a triple threat, if the latter even needed to be in a championship match.

So guys, ATTACK!
You can choose any world title match between WM 18 and WM 31..and provide reasons for your argument.

Last edited by RomanfreakinReigns : 01-09-2016 at 10:13 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Da Best Sports Entertainer Ever
WWF Hardcore Champion

BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...

WM 22 - Undertaker defeats Kurt Angle (World Title) - Mysterio only got the title because of Eddie's death and didn't deserve it.

WM 27 - Randy Orton defeats CM Punk (WWE Title) - Who put The Miz in the main event of WM? Whoever did should be fired immediately. Punk and Orton had a great feud and match at this event, so just make it for the WWE Title. Cena vs. Rock also takes place at this event just to clear things up.

WM 28 - John Cena defeats CM Punk (Undisputed WWE Title) - Continue the "Summer of Punk" storyline throughout 2011. Punk wins at MITB, leaves, and takes the WWE Championship with him. He takes it to indy events, UFC events, NJPW, and other places. Cena even follows him to a few, trying to take the title back. Of course he never gets it. Finally, Punk returns at Royal Rumble because he wants to prove he is truly the "best in the world".
Old 01-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

Wrestlemania 31 - Brock Lesnar(c) def. Daniel Bryan for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, plus Seth Rollins def. Lesnar(c) via MITB cash-in afterwards.
Reigns vs Lesnar was a great match, but it came at the wrong time. WM 31 was the time for a Daniel Bryan vs Brock Lesnar classic, a match that we might not ever witness now.

Wrestlemania 27 - John Cena(c) def. CM Punk for the WWE Championship w/ The Rock as the special guest referee.
Cena wins the WWE Ttile in an Elimination Chmaber match at No Way Out, while Punk, who was red hot wins the Royal Rumble with the help of the New Nexus.

Wrestlemania 25 - John Cena def. Chris Jericho(c) for the WH Championship.
Jericho carries the belt to Wrestlemania, instead of losing to Cena at SSeries in a match with no build-up.

Wrestlemania 22 - Undertaker def. Kurt Angle(c) for the WH Championship.
Same as the OP.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:33 PM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I don't know why we're only allowed to choose between WrestleMania 18 through 31, but ok...

WrestleMania 22: Triple Threat Match for the World Heavyweight Championship - Kurt Angle (C) vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Randy Orton: This match should have gone on last. There was no reason for Cena/HHH to headline. This match got crapped on because Mysterio won and nobody wanted to see that. Give this match another 10 minutes, have Angle retain, and you have a match that should have headlined WrestleMania.

WrestleMania 23: World Heavyweight Championship - Batista (C) vs. The Undertaker: Again, ZERO reason for this match to not to headline the event. Undertaker won the Royal Rumble, therefore his match should go last, period. WrestleMania 23 would have been much better served by having it end with Undertaker capturing the World Heavyweight Championship.

WrestleMania 25: Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker: I would have changed the results of the two World title matches (Edge retaining over John Cena and The Big Show, and Randy Orton beating Triple H, instead of Cena winning and Triple H retaining), so give the fans a feel-good moment to end the show by having the two most popular stars in the company, and two sons of Texas, close the show.

WrestleMania 27: World Heavyweight Championship - Edge (C) vs. Alberto Del Rio: I was fine with Miz going into WrestleMania 27 (and walking out) as WWE Champion, but Edge/Del Rio should have headlined. Again, it's simple - Del Rio won the Royal Rumble, John Cena did not. Ending WM27 with the bullshit finish of Cena/Miz with Rock interfering was idiotic. The last image of WM27 should have been Edge perched on the turnbuckle, holding his World Heavyweight Championship over his head as pyro exploded above him.

WrestleMania 29: WWE Championship - CM Punk (C) vs. The Undertaker: Rock/Cena II did not need the title. Punk should have kept the title until WrestleMania, which would have put him around the 490 day mark as champion, then lose it to Undertaker in the main event.

WrestleMania 31: WWE World Heavyweight Championship - Brock Lesnar (C) vs. Daniel Bryan: Roman Reigns should not have been ANYWHERE near the main event of WrestleMania. He's still not ready to be a main eventer, but that's another point. Daniel Bryan should have beaten Roman Reigns at Fastlane to get the title shot. At WrestleMania, Bryan forces Lesnar to submit and wins the title, then Seth Rollins cashes in and beats Bryan for the championship.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:46 PM

The Man Of 1004 Holds is looking to come up from OCW...

I cant agree in saying rey didnt deserve the championship. the dude is quite simply the greatest high flyer of all time, ridiculously popular and had marketability with the mask. he's also been involved in some classic matches with other past champions (eddie, angle, edge, jericho, orton etc) in a long career. I will agree the way it came about and was executed afterwards was horrendous but the guy deserved a run.

as for my pick, it has to be wm 29. we did not need twice in a lifetime, especially with the belt. the way they tried to make it look organic with the rumble win for cena, to make an opt out for the once in a lifetime tag was an insult to fans intelligence.
The main event should have been CM Punk v The undertaker - streak v streak. nothing more needed. Also who knows, had they done this we may still have Punk around today.

as an extra - it's not in the timeframe but wm8 - hogan and flair
Old 01-09-2016, 06:17 PM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man Of 1004 Holds View Post
I cant agree in saying rey didnt deserve the championship. the dude is quite simply the greatest high flyer of all time, ridiculously popular and had marketability with the mask. he's also been involved in some classic matches with other past champions (eddie, angle, edge, jericho, orton etc) in a long career. I will agree the way it came about and was executed afterwards was horrendous but the guy deserved a run.
Rey Mysterio was only over in highly Latino markets and with little kids though. He wasn't over like a top star needs to be. He was booed out of the building at WrestleMania 22 and in his subsequent title defenses against both Kurt Angle and Randy Orton, hence why they booked him against JBL and King Booker after that, basically so that fans had no choice but to boo them and cheer Rey Mysterio.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Where it at doe?
ROH Pure Champion

Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...

If Eddie doesn't die and Rey win the titles does anyone give him this much flack? The dude was wrestling in america for 10 years by the time WrestleMania 22 rolled around. The dude hardly ever put on a bad match (unless you don't like high flying and prefer technical). I'll say that the WWE championship would of been more fitting but I had no problem of him being in the main event scene at one point in his career. I agree that it should of been Undertake vs Angle at Mania but I'm not gonna hate on Rey as champ because of that.

Anyways onto the topic. Just the one that comes to mind.

WreslteMania 25: John Cena vs Edge vs Big Show

I have no idea why Big Show was in this main event. Cena and Edge had been done a few years before this but that was still no reason to throw Big Show into this event. I wouldn't of had a problem with just a Cena vs Edge singles match at Mania. I could argue that Jericho could of been. Pretty forgettable match all in all as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacistHulkHogan View Post
Khalifa tears dude. Tears flowing daddy. Only love. HH
Old 01-09-2016, 07:31 PM
WCW TV Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalifa View Post
Anyways onto the topic. Just the one that comes to mind.

WreslteMania 25: John Cena vs Edge vs Big Show

I have no idea why Big Show was in this main event. Cena and Edge had been done a few years before this but that was still no reason to throw Big Show into this event. I wouldn't of had a problem with just a Cena vs Edge singles match at Mania. I could argue that Jericho could of been. Pretty forgettable match all in all as well.
You do realize the match was booked for Edge vs. Big Show, and it was John Cena who was added later, right?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:33 AM
Knockout Champion

RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...

@Aquaman6686.

I chose Wrestlemanias after WM17 because: 1)The WWE before Wrestlemania 17 was pretty much focused on one or two top guys and there was just one world title. For example, if I'm not mistaken, Hogan participated up to WM 9 before he signed with WCW, and every WM up to that point was built around Hogan as champion or him being in the mainevent, besides Randy Savage. Also, certain WM mainevents in this period cannot be debated about, such as WM 12, WM 14, WM 15 and 17. That results in little scope for argument.

2)Some of us here were only 10 yrs old in 1999 so we scarcely know much about Wrestlemania buildups or matches prior to that to allow for a more elaborate discussion and insights.

Nonetheless, if you do wish to cite any WM world title match before WM17, go ahead.I'll be all ears and eyes.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:39 AM
Knockout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgreece View Post
Wrestlemania 25 - John Cena def. Chris Jericho(c) for the WH Championship.
Jericho carries the belt to Wrestlemania, instead of losing to Cena at SSeries in a match with no build-up.
This is really insightful! Until I read it, I had never thought about how the WHC mainevent of WM 25 could've been something actually intriguing and worthy of being called "WHC match", instead of the horrendous debacle of a triple threat storyline we got with Edge, Big Show and Cena. I mean, who ever could've thought that VICKIE GUERRERO would be one of the propelling/compelling factors towards a WHC wrestlemania mainevent match, entangled with not only Edge but The Big Show(Ugh), with John Cena, thus making it the weirdest menage a tois in Wrestling.

But that being said, I would've liked nothing more than Chris Jericho carrying the big Gold belt and defending it against Cena, or even against Edge and Cena. What a triple threat it would have been!