WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-26-2015, 04:12 AM
WCW TV Champion

d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Funny how people say that Roman Reigns isn't a star because he doesn't cut convincing promos, considering that some of the following people were huge stars, and yet were never known for cutting memorable promos:-

-Kane, when he was originally in WWE. Yet, when he teamed with X-Pac, he got the loudest pops, despite never uttering a word. A simple tilt of the head conveyed the right emotion.

-The Undertaker initially didn't speak. Paul Heyman spoke for this mysterious man who was dressed as a mortician. It wasn't until later that Taker started to speak, but he has over the first night he came into WWE and uttered a word.

-Bret "Hitman" Hart is a Legend and five time WWE Champion, who was never known for his stellar mike skills.

-Chris Benoit won the World Title, and yet never cut a memorable promo. Yet people popped when he won the World Title at WMXX.

-Dolph Ziggler doesn't say anything memorable, yet is cheered. Ditto with Cesaro.

-Andre The Giant, one of the biggest Legends, ever, hardly ever spoke, and when he did, it was in a very thick French accent.

-Brock Lesnar doesn't cut promos. No, he has Paul Heyman do it for him.

-Rob Van Dam was huge. Yet he rarely cut promos, and when he did, he sounded like he was in a marajuana haze.

I think Roman Reigns gets booed because he is Vince's chosen one now, and that is a no-no in the eyes of the fans. People used to say that Cena couldn't cut a promo either when he was the top guy.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-26-2015, 04:41 AM
Who Am I?
ECW TV Champion

ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_henderson1810 View Post
Funny how people say that Roman Reigns isn't a star because he doesn't cut convincing promos, considering that some of the following people were huge stars, and yet were never known for cutting memorable promos:-

-Kane, when he was originally in WWE. Yet, when he teamed with X-Pac, he got the loudest pops, despite never uttering a word. A simple tilt of the head conveyed the right emotion.

-The Undertaker initially didn't speak. Paul Heyman spoke for this mysterious man who was dressed as a mortician. It wasn't until later that Taker started to speak, but he has over the first night he came into WWE and uttered a word.

-Bret "Hitman" Hart is a Legend and five time WWE Champion, who was never known for his stellar mike skills.

-Chris Benoit won the World Title, and yet never cut a memorable promo. Yet people popped when he won the World Title at WMXX.

-Dolph Ziggler doesn't say anything memorable, yet is cheered. Ditto with Cesaro.

-Andre The Giant, one of the biggest Legends, ever, hardly ever spoke, and when he did, it was in a very thick French accent.

-Brock Lesnar doesn't cut promos. No, he has Paul Heyman do it for him.

-Rob Van Dam was huge. Yet he rarely cut promos, and when he did, he sounded like he was in a marajuana haze.

I think Roman Reigns gets booed because he is Vince's chosen one now, and that is a no-no in the eyes of the fans. People used to say that Cena couldn't cut a promo either when he was the top guy.
I agree that someone cant be a star because of only mic skills... Maybe he gets booed because of the reason you stated.... But did you see one thing? Lets evaluate with my opinion
1. Kane has a monster gimmick so he got over without speaking because monsters are beating not talking right?
2. Undertaker had an unique Phenom gimmick
3. Hitman was talented in-ring worker
4. Chris Benoit was one of the best technical workers
5. Dolph Ziggler made his fanbase with good matches... Cesaro-Ultra talented in-ring worker
6. Andre The Giant- See Kane
7. Brock Lesnar- Beast gimmick and strong booking
8. Rob Van Dam- High Flying skills made him over

So now i gave a reason for everyone you stated to get over! Reigns had powerhouse of The Shield gimmick who remained silent and was very over too... When Shield broke up in June, He started competing as singles competitor.... From June to January, in almost 8 months, what he accomplished was win over Randy Orton at Summerslam and Several wins against Big Show! So the problem was that he did nothing for making his Royal Rumble win credible! Thats why i turned on him! I dont know about other people but i think it was a rocket push too soon for Reigns.... I neither cheer him nor boo him.... I cheered for him only at Wrestlemania, TLC post match assault and TLC Fallout Raw.... I am just telling where he went wrong for me! I am not bashing the guy and i still like him.... No need for him to speak if he has to speak things like tatertots! He can get over without mic-skills too! See Cesaro!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:38 PM
WCW TV Champion

d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
I agree that someone cant be a star because of only mic skills... Maybe he gets booed because of the reason you stated.... But did you see one thing? Lets evaluate with my opinion
1. Kane has a monster gimmick so he got over without speaking because monsters are beating not talking right?
2. Undertaker had an unique Phenom gimmick
3. Hitman was talented in-ring worker
4. Chris Benoit was one of the best technical workers
5. Dolph Ziggler made his fanbase with good matches... Cesaro-Ultra talented in-ring worker
6. Andre The Giant- See Kane
7. Brock Lesnar- Beast gimmick and strong booking
8. Rob Van Dam- High Flying skills made him over

So now i gave a reason for everyone you stated to get over! Reigns had powerhouse of The Shield gimmick who remained silent and was very over too... When Shield broke up in June, He started competing as singles competitor.... From June to January, in almost 8 months, what he accomplished was win over Randy Orton at Summerslam and Several wins against Big Show! So the problem was that he did nothing for making his Royal Rumble win credible! Thats why i turned on him! I dont know about other people but i think it was a rocket push too soon for Reigns.... I neither cheer him nor boo him.... I cheered for him only at Wrestlemania, TLC post match assault and TLC Fallout Raw.... I am just telling where he went wrong for me! I am not bashing the guy and i still like him.... No need for him to speak if he has to speak things like tatertots! He can get over without mic-skills too! See Cesaro!
If in-ring work was enough to get you over, then how come someone like Shelton Benjamin, who was an awesome in-ring worker, or a flashy, high-flying guy like John Morrison, couldn't get over with fans? These guys were every bit as good as Cesaro and Ziggler, yet didn't get 1/10th the love they do.

Also, why isn't Roman over when he looks like a monster, and dominates, like Kane, Undertaker and Andre did?

One reason. The internet. All the people I listed in my initial post had established themselves before the internet and wrestling sites, which has done more to sour people to wrestling than anything, couldn't be scrutinized or hated on by people behind computers who think they know more about the business than those who run it, and claim to love it, but every line is a hate-filled rant. Whereas Shelton, Morrison and Roman started out in the social media age, so we judged from day one.

It's like what I have said in the past. If Roman had got pushed in the 80's, he would have been like Hogan. Hulk Hogan would never have got over today with his act in the 2000's, and people like Cena and Roman would have been beloved in the Rock N' Wrestling Era, where people just enjoyed wrestling, and didn't take every result they didn't like as a personal insult.

The wrestling fans have changed, so take responsibility for that and admit that if you don't like something about wrestling, than maybe you are the one with the problem, not the product.

The internet and Twitter (gee, I hate Twitter, and am glad that I am not on it) have done more to ruin Roman's push than anything else, as we have the haters dictating wrestling now.

Last edited by d_henderson1810 : 12-28-2015 at 03:41 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2015, 04:11 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I couldn't agree more with d_henderson1810.

It's tough to say if Hogan or Andre would've got over had they been a product of today.

I've pointed this out - you cannot build Reigns as a guy to take over as that guy that is atop of the company and keep him quiet. In kayfabe all those guys listed above were never been considered the face of the company. They were guys that rounded out the main event in their respective times.

Only thing I wouldn't change a thing with Reigns - maybe allow him more freedom with his promos so that it doesn't seem so forced. He has the superstar look and possess the intensity when he works in the ring. He can only get better.

People for years have been saying WWE needs a new star to take over Cena's position. Obviously it was going to be one of their homegrown product. Did anyone really think Cesaro, Daniel Bryan or a KO would be in that position?
sendpm.gif
Old 01-18-2016, 09:50 AM
The Dark Warlords

The Dark Warlords is looking to come up from OCW...

In my mind the free flow way is best for business. It w=ill allow the talents to actually come across as more authentic and believable. They would be able to connect with BOTH arena and television viewers. To me, even the best promo people have to feel a bit held back because of the script.

Bullet points and free flow are the best way to go with this.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

There is another angle to how badly Reigns comes across... they are so keen to replace Bryan and Punk as the "everyman avatars" in the minds of the fans and viewers and they so desperately want Reigns to be that guy that their scripting of him makes it blatantly obvious what they are doing.

Reigns COULD have been a naturalistic face, a good bloke like Bryan who could relate to people like Punk... so could Ambrose... but they wanted Reigns to be THE GUY... and we don't need A GUY... we need what happened in 1998-2001, a succession of guys get to the top using their natural personas... Austin was himself, Rock was himself, Foley, Jericho, Triple H and Angle... All had an element of scripting but they were allowed to get there "on their own", not micromanaged at every step of their push.

Look how Batista never quite worked, exact same thing - one of the most natural guys on the mic they every had... when he was able to, he could just talk and people would enjoy listening to him.... but they had to write his words for him and it felt stilted... when he came back it was borderline criminal that they had a guy who was now a big time actor, had completed Guardians (so he'd worked with Oscar winners and improv style comedians like Pratt, Cooper, Serafanowiz and John C. Reilly FFS) and he was being fed garbage to say... Vince thought the movie would tank and it showed in how they treated him.

It's ABSOLUTELY too late for Reigns now, but not Ambrose or any of the others... bullet points aren't "the way" necesarrily, but trusting talents is a big part... if it comes to it, get Regal back up as the main producer... fire Kevin Dunn's lazy ass...