WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE Pay Per Views
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-24-2015, 12:20 AM
Knockout Champion

Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Lack Of Interesting Part Time Matchups For Wrestlemania

God that title makes this so funny I think. I remember thinking after Mania 31 that 32 was going to be a great show. The WWE was going to go all in and make it the best Mania ever, pretty sure I even had a thread about all the good matchups they could have...which is odd because now we have next to nothing to look forward to.

Looking from today our cast of part timers/celebs is basically: Triple H, Undertaker, Lesnar...and that's it. With Rock being forced by contract to not compete, Rousey being out, Austin being a tease again and no updates on like any other big name.

And lets seriously look at that list of part timers who are supposed to make this show legendary again. They've all fought each other at Mania super recently. I mean Taker v Trips happened at 27 and 28. Triple H fought Lesnar at 29. And Taker fought Lesnar at 30. Plus with the thin cast of part timers you'd imagine the plan is to spread them out along the card, give some young guys a chance to compete with these legends(I swear I've been harping about young guys for so long now). So what options seem likely at this point.

Triple H: While the original plan was for him to fight the Rock in a match 16 years too late, I was going to be on board with this. Then with the Rock being out the rumor was Rollins might slide into this match...yet with Rollins out now it seems he'll be fighting Reigns. Which should be a decent match but it seems like the only choice at this point. Unless you slide him aside and slip in a guy like Ambrose or Ziggler...but realistically it's looking like it will be
Roman Reigns versus Triple H WWE WHC match at Wrestlemania 32

Taker: The obvious plan was going to be Sting. It had to have been but with Sting's career apparently over..well that can't happen. Granted you never know, I was holding out belief that it was a work up until Survivor Series where I thought Sting would come out for the save...but anyway, odds are it won't be Sting. Names that I've heard tossed around include: Wyatt, Stroman, Cena and Owens. Right off the bat Stroman is not ready, he isn't established as a wrestler or a singles guy and his skill isn't high enough to carry a match with an aging Taker. I'm doubting Wyatt will get another match and I mean why should he? Taker beat him at Mania 31, beat his entire family at Survivor Series...so why even have this match? Owens could be interesting but the new rumor seems more likely. Which only leaves Cena, which is the match that should have happened 2 years ago before the streak ended. I just don't see this as a big money match anymore. The thing that I think would have sold it before would be the fact the audience wouldn't know if Cena was going to end the streak. But this seems the most likely match up now.

Lesnar: I don't know if they've had a plan for Lesnar in place. I mean remember they only resigned him like a week before Mania this year. The rumors I've heard about his opponent include guys like Taker, Sheamus, Owens and that's about it. Scratch Taker because their feud hopefully has ended. Owens while a possible choice, I don't quite know if the company is that high on Owens to give him Lesnar. Again not saying it's impossible but I'm just not seeing it. I'm more thinking they'll slide Sheamus here and hope for the best. Maybe have the League Of Nations attack Heyman? Or have a house show be a precursor to a feud? Who knows.

Pepper in guys like Daniel Bryan, Goldberg, Batista, Orton and you have quite a few question marks. All of which are big name guys. So there's always a possibility we get surprised big time. But I'm not seeing it happen. This Mania is shaping up to lack a lot of star power.

What matches are you guys thinking will happen with our part timers who apparently can make it to Mania?

The card I have penciled in for them so far

Triple H v Reigns for the WWE WHC with Trips possibly going over
Taker v Cena for nothing...I guess Cena would win? Who cares?
Lesnar v Sheamus for pride, another match I don't care about.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:21 AM

KromyD is looking to come up from OCW...KromyD is looking to come up from OCW...

I think your spot on with everything there mate, the lack of nothing being confirmed with these part timers is whats confusing. The Raw after Royal Rumble will be telling IMO, will Daniel Bryan have a stint? That of Y2J for the I.C title? Maybe a Batista/Lesnar in a UFC/Hollywood feud? Sting maybe getting a win at 'Mania driving him to wrestle?

One point you mentioned that I am more of convinced of now is a Lesnar/Sheamus angle, could see something like that happening. What if WWE managed to get McGregor in Sheamus's corner? They already share that Ireland nation bong, that build up would be wicked. WWE havn't had a star involved in a match in a while at 'Mania so why not now when there short of wrestling draw cards? Floyd, Tyson, Pam Anderson, Trump etc were somewhat successful, c'mon make it happen WWE lol.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:53 AM
With the safety off!!
TNA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

Yea it's looking pretty dismal. It's almost like the WWE went to the well too many times and this year the well is dry.

They might try to break Sting in as a guest referee or something, that way he wouldn't have to actually wrestle. Same with SCSA and HBK. But yea it's pretty much just HHH, Lesnar, and Taker. God knows who they'll go up against.

If Rollins hadn't got injured, this might have been the time for a Shield reunion, but even that's out the window now.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Redemption-2012 is looking to come up from OCW...Redemption-2012 is looking to come up from OCW...Redemption-2012 is looking to come up from OCW...Redemption-2012 is looking to come up from OCW...

The only match WWE need to make this a successful WrestleMania is John Cena versus The Undertaker. It's undoubtedly the biggest match they can do at this point in time. I personally don't see what you're referring to, what's wrong with HHH versus Reigns? that match will be epic. Sheamus versus Lesnar I agree would suck but what proof do you have that is what WWE are planning?

You have two mega match there already, throw in whoever WWE have planned for Lesnar to face (hopefully not Sheamus) and it will be an epic 'Mania.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:00 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...

What is wrong with Sheamus vs Brock Lesnar? I personally think it would be a pretty good matchup. A very physical matchup and their two styles compliment each other considerbly well. It definitely isn't at the top of my WM wish list but I wouldn't be opposed to it at any other PPV - just not WM. But if it came down to it, I'm sure I could enjoy it.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

Triple H going over Reigns at Wrestlemania for the World Championship would be the most stupid decision ever as it completely kills all wrestling logic, 10 times. Also, you don't care about Cena vs Taker? Um, two of the biggest stars ever colliding at Wrestlemania in a dream match. No? Okay.

The only interesting part time match up would be Lesnar vs Batista, No Holds Barred, Beast vs Animal in a match similar to Cena vs Lesnar from Extreme Rules 2012.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:05 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Legend vs Someone for Nothing kind of hits the nail on the head.

Brock Lesnar ruining the streak makes Undertaker WM matches worth almost notihng, and Brock didnt gain anything from it, he was already Brock.

Lesnar's only interesting if there's a title involved nowadays, but if he wins, Well, 4 months of not watching Wrestling while they ignore the World Title.

Triple H matches can still have some actual repercussions, with him running things so there's something to look forward to with those.

I think at this point, Wrestling needs more solid payoffs, rather than just exhibition matches on the grandest stage. Sting vs Taker was killing 2 birds with 1 stone, putting the legends together in a match, instead of what could have been 2 slots on a card dedicated to part timers, as well as giving people the dream match 20 years late.

My biggest hope from all this, is that we get more current stars getting pushed to WM spots, so we can actually care about WWE in the future, but that looks grim to, with Tater tots being shoved down our throats still.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:07 PM
#SwerveKing
WWE Diva's Champion

Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...

Undertaker vs. John Cena is a true main event in every sense of the term, so it'll be great to see that match finally happen. Would it have been even more dramatic if Undertaker went up against the unstoppable Cena with the Streak still alive? You bet your sweet ass it would be, but it's still a huge match regardless. Undertaker is legitimately a living legend and John Cena is legitimately the biggest star of the modern era and they haven't really crossed paths. They had one match I think back in like 03 when Cena was a midcarder and Taker was a biker, but it was completely different context and it was more than a decade ago. So this is a big deal.

As far as Triple H goes, I honestly have zero interest in seeing Triple H wrestle and if he were to never compete again I would be completely fine with it. Here's the thing, Triple H is a manufactured legend. In truth, he isn't as significant in the history of wrestling as he probably thinks he is. He's not a draw, he's never been a draw. And no matter how hard he tries to be, he's not Ric Flair. It might seem hard to believe, but I am a fan of Triple H. He had a great run as a heel, and he's a ring general. But as a star he's obviously not on the same level as guys like Lesnar, Cena and Undertaker, no matter how much the WWE pretends that he is. Triple H was definitely supposed to turn babyface and wrestle Seth Rollins this year, they were clearly planting seeds for that, but now that Rollins is out it will be Triple H vs. Roman Reigns. At least Triple H will be the heel, which is his natural role, but you just know that in his head he's thinking "Alright, I'm going to make this guy." Because he thinks he's Ric Flair, and he thinks he'll be able to make Reigns like Flair made Sting and Luger.

Unlike Triple H, Brock Lesnar is a huge star and he is a huge draw. And he's someone the fans legitimately get behind as a babyface. He can end the Streak and show up whenever he wants and he's still the biggest babyface in wrestling. So Lesnar's match at WrestleMania 32, which is supposed to be the biggest show of all time, is pretty fucking important. Of course, we have no real clue as to what it will be. Fuck.
See, before the Seth Rollins injury, I'm fairly certain this was the plan for WrestleMania 32:
Triple H vs. Seth Rollins
Cena vs. Undertaker
Lesnar vs. Reigns for the World Title
That would be a pretty stacked card, and would have a decent chance at legitimately selling out a 100000 seat stadium. But then Seth Rollins broke his leg. Naturally you'd think this wouldn't be that big a deal. Rollins vs. Triple H, while deifnitely a good matchup, was the least important of those three big matches. So you scrap plans for that and move forward with your other two main events, right? But then Triple H doesn't get a nice payday and ego stroke for WrestleMania 32. So you've got to rearrange things. Cancel the plans for Triple H going face, make him a heel again and have him face Reigns instead of Rollins. What about Brock Lesnar? Fuck him I guess.

Now Brock is stuck in a situation where there's no clear opponent for him and he'll probably face a midcarder like Sheamus or Kevin Owens. Instead of figuring out a backup plan for Triple H, we're figuring out a backup plan for Lesnar. Which is fucked up because Lesnar is clearly the bigger draw. Triple H could've easily been slotted in to face Ambrose instead of Rollins, especially given the fact that he's staying heel now. Could Lesnar vs. Owens be a solid matchup? Sure. If it's built properly. We'll just have to wait and see if that's the case. It's gonna take a lot to make anybody in the midcard seem like a credible threat to Lesnar though, and they're running short on time.

Last edited by Sexcellence of Sexecution : 12-24-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Knockout Champion

Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...Mudlup50 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgreece View Post
Triple H going over Reigns at Wrestlemania for the World Championship would be the most stupid decision ever as it completely kills all wrestling logic, 10 times. Also, you don't care about Cena vs Taker? Um, two of the biggest stars ever colliding at Wrestlemania in a dream match. No? Okay.

The only interesting part time match up would be Lesnar vs Batista, No Holds Barred, Beast vs Animal in a match similar to Cena vs Lesnar from Extreme Rules 2012.
Let me clear up a few things. Triple H going over would make some sense. I mean the company wants us all to cheer Reigns, so feud him with one of the few "heels" left. Give Trips the belt because it opens the door for a lot of possible matches down the line. Think about if H only fought one match a month at the PPV we could have: Reigns in April, an Ambrose in May, possibly a Ziggler in June, a Ryback level guy in July, Rock in August and you still have a returning Seth Rollins to fill one of those spots. But with Reigns as champ you have: Triple H in April, Sheamus in May, Owens in June, Rollins in July and maybe Cena at SummerSlam? The only true downside would be killing Reigns' momentum but realistically we've had him hold the belt for 5 minutes and beat a guy the fans could care less about on Raw to win the belt back...losing to a future hall of famer most likely in screwy finishes isn't that bad in this situation.

In terms of Cena/Taker I don't think the match would be bad at all, I'm just saying the sheer magnitude of the drawing power it would have if the Streak was still active would have been incredible. This isn't anything against either guy, but I think Taker's drawing power has diminished immensely by the streak ending. I mean realistically a few years back we wouldn't have known who was going to win. Will the Streak continue or will the WWE give it to the golden child John Cena. Will Cena force the issue and get it. Cena's name on the list of people beaten would be incredible. It'd be the least obvious outcome for a Taker match in a long time.

And Lesnar/Batista is a good one, I would definitely prefer it over Lesnar/Sheamus or something dumb like that. The thing I like about that match would be Batista would be booked as the heel where I think he just works better.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Unregistered User
WWE Diva's Champion

lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...

Maybe they should stop relying on the part timers to draw people in?

If they had been creating Wrestlemania moments with the new talent over the past five years instead of shortsightedly worrying about that WM's specific buy rate, maybe a main event not featuring HHH/Lesnar/Taker/Rock would be enough to put asses in the seats?

I say they're gonna do

Cena vs. Taker
Reigns vs. HHH
Kevin Owens or Bray Wyatt vs. Brock Lesnar
Owens or Wyatt (whoever doesn't face Lesnar) vs. Randy Orton

That's a relatively interesting main event set up.

Last edited by lil steroid meat : 12-24-2015 at 02:54 PM.