WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 11-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Diva's Champion

BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...BringThePain834 scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default The Bret Hart Return Should Have Been Done In 2006

Seeing how at the beginning of 2006, Vince did a personal review of the Bret DVD that was released around that time and it was more of Vince gloating than reviewing, which brought Shawn out to say "Let it go". Don't get me wrong, the McMahons and Shawn Michaels feud was great, and from watching some of it back, I think it would have been much better if Bret returned in 2006 as he was on good enough terms to accept an induction into the Hall of Fame that year and him having involvement in the McMahons and HBK storyline would have made a lot of noise, and maybe then the Vince/Bret match wouldn't have sucked as bad.

The point I'm trying to make here is the McMahons and HBK storyline was calling for a Bret involvement right from the beginning and I still to this day don't know why it never happened. Hell, he could have appeared at the post WM 22 RAW or something and instead of HBK's tag partner being "God", it could have and should have been Bret. After WrestleMania, the McMahons and HBK feud was starting to lose steam and went to the religion part of things, which really was just unnecessary. Imagine what Bret coming in could have done for the storyline.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:32 PM

yourdamnluck is looking to come up from OCW...

Bret as Shawn's tag partner could have been the greatest moment in pro wrestling. May be vince didn't think of it or may be they had some other problem. Bret may not be very good in the ring then but the fans would have gone crazy as soon as his music was hit.
It's almost as bad as Taker not facing Sting during their prime.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:12 PM

Carpathian Florist is looking to come up from OCW...

Vince and Bret may have buried their hatchett by 2006, but I don't think he was ready to get over his issues with Shawn by that point. I think he was even distrustful of him after they met on Raw in 2010 and he had to wait to see how that played out on Shawn's side before he'd settle.

“In my mind’s eye my thoughts light fires in your cities.”
Old 11-28-2015, 07:23 PM

Lord_Frish is looking to come up from OCW...Lord_Frish is looking to come up from OCW...

I apologise for not having a source, but when Hart returned he said that the thing that started the healing process between him and HBK was Wrestlemania 25. Hart sent HBK a text congratulating him on the match he had with Undertaker. According to Hart this was the first time they talked since Montreal. So it was another 3 years from HBK vs Vince and Shane before the two were even talking.

I don't think Hart was quite ready to return in 2006, the idea you laid out would have been great though. Hart and Michaels in a Tag Team would have been one hell of a PPV seller.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Intercontinental Champion

The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringThePain834 View Post

The point I'm trying to make here is the McMahons and HBK storyline was calling for a Bret involvement right from the beginning and I still to this day don't know why it never happened.
It's pretty simple really. Bret didn't want to do it. There's nothing more to it than that. From what I've heard Vince wanted Bret to be the special guest referee for his match at WM22 and then have the tag match with Bret & HBK vs. Vince & Shane at Backlash. Bret was cool doing the HOF but he wasn't going to come back on tv for any storylines. He didn't even want to be introduced during the HOF role call at mania. Vince wanted it. He just couldn't get Bret to agree to it.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
United States Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

Hard to say but don't forget that Bret's return was used in part to counter TNA as Monday night competition. Granted that TNA fucked things up just fine on their own and quickly ran with their tails between their legs but it was good for Vince to have that bullet left in his chamber for that night. Why switch to Monday night during WM season TNA? Why?

Regardless, Hart may have filled in well to the Vince v HBK storyline. It is hard to say. I can't imagine Bret was much of a competitor in 2006.
GSB Observation #8675309 - I've never seen Samoa Joe and Manny from Modern Family in the same room at the same time, coincidence?
Old 11-29-2015, 01:41 AM
Old School
WWE Diva's Champion

agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Send a message via AIM to agentmichaelscarn

I agree that it definitely should have then but obviously Bret wasn't ready or didn't feel comfortable. I don't think it was all to do with him not forgiving Vince or Shawn, I think a big part of it was him not fully recovering from his stroke yet.

He was always a little introverted to begin with(which is why he wore sunglasses during his promos for years) and timid on the mic. After his stroke it made it that much harder for him. I remember he cut a promo at some indy show in like 2004-05 and I remember him saying how hard it was for him to do that because of his confidence issue.

So being involved in a major storyline that may involve physical activity(when his motor skills still weren't near 100%) probably was something that he was scared of, which is why he didn't come back. I think he only came back for the HOF speech cause it was a relatively small crowd and infront of many peers. Totally different environment than performing in front of 20K rabid fans.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:05 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

In 2006 Bret had only just recovered from his stroke. Bret Vs Vince would have sucked any year it was done if Vince had booked it, because his ego gets in the way. The Vince V Bret match was awful because Bret had had a stroke!!! But also the booking was terrible.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:56 PM
WWE Women's Champion

whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...

Bret Hart's return should have been in 2001 when Vince bought Nitro after not screwing him in Montreal.

There were a ton of great times to bring him back but you can't blame Bret for being a bit bitter given what happened. I think Bret's return happened at the right time - certain things needed to happen for both sides to decide it was time to move on and that's what happened. People tend to forget that Bret wasn't leaving because WCW made him a better offer, he left because Vince asked him to leave. It may not seem like much now but Bret's leaving saved WWF millions when they were hurting and Vince never really admitted howmuch that helped. He started playing the evil billionaire and Bret was just another deal. I think it took Bret's stroke for both sides to realize just how much they owed each other. Without that, any return would have come off as lame.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 AM
WWE Women's Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Bret's return honestly should have been back in 1999 before he reupped his WCW deal.

Austin and Rock had control of the dressing room instead of Michaels and Triple H. He'd experienced first hand how bad it was in WCW. He had already admitted he was feeling that being in WCW was a mistake and he was missing working for Vince. And he could still go.

I will say though, that I never minded Bret's WWE return. For what it was, and what was possible considering Bret's health, I thought they did a good job with it. Vince did a great job putting over a guy who couldn't take a bump as a legit threat in the buildup, and then when the actual match came? Vince bumped and sold for Bret like a champ. I wasn't a fan of the Hart family being involved at Wrestlemania, but I get it all things considered.

Where they lost it for me was everything that happened after that. Having Bret win the US title? Having Bret as part of the Summerslam match against the Nexus? It should have been one and done for the guy, and then if they wanted, move him to a strictly non-competitive role.