WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 11-24-2015, 06:31 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default Your worst ever face or heel turn

The thread on the Austin Wrestlemania 17 turn got me wondering what everyone would put forward as their choice for the worst ever babyface/heel turn? Would you go with Austin at Wrestlemania 17 or something else? Personally, I thought the time was right for Austin to turn so I'm okay with that one, though doing it in Texas was probably a bad idea.

For my choice I'm going to put forward Shawn Michaels' babyface turn in 1995. To give some context to this one. HBK had gotten over as a high midcard heel to the extent that he was chosen to win the 1995 Royal Rumble and face his former bodyguard Diesel at Wrestlemania XI for the title. The match itself was good but was mostly memorable for being the first WWF title match in history that didn't main event Wrestlemania, Bam Bam vs Lawrence Taylor getting the nod to close the show. But Shawn was known for being a cocky, arrogant, obnoxious asshole who was also one of the best in-ring performers in the business by that stage. Fans loved to hate him and some just plain loved him (myself included at the time).

I'm not criticising the decision to turn HBK babyface here, though I would argue that the WWF at the time was in more need of a main event heel than another main event babyface. I'm more arguing with the execution. How it happened went down on the Raw after Wrestlemania and was built on how Shawn's bodyguard, Psycho Sid, inadvertently distracted the ref at a key moment when Shawn might have had Diesel beat. Knowing that Shawn's heel character was an obnoxious primadonna, I want you to watch this and tell me who comes across like the babyface in this segment.

I'd argue Sid looked like the latest bodyguard Shawn had taken for granted and had turned babyface by attacking the heel. The only indicators that Sid was supposed to be the heel here is that he clotheslined Shawn when Shawn's back was half turned and that he gave him numerous powerbombs. Everything else points to Shawn being the heel instigating a Sid babyface turn and the fans certainly reacted that way. At best I'd say that both Shawn and Sid are supposed to look heelish in this segment and that no babyface turn occurred.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:13 AM
Let me show ya somethin!!!
Million Dollar Champion

Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...Fire Marshall Bill is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Miz's face turn.

His heel run was actually pretty good IMO. He is very good on the mic and made people just boo the crap out of him. All the while he was doing a lot of talk shows and such where it was very obvious he has tons of charisma. Well his time as a top heel was starting to fade after losing the title, but he was still in upper programs. He even teased being on a face team during an SS or Bragging Rights match (not sure which). They could've used his momentum to make his face turn pretty big (like they could've with Rollins had he not gotten injured). Well they never pulled the trigger, waited way too long after his momentum had fizzled, and then suddenly he's just a face. No memorable turn or anything. He just was face now.

I understand they do that with the Divas all the time because no one cares about them, but he had a real shot and they blew it.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:39 AM

toon126 is looking to come up from OCW...

Austin's heel turn, for shock value it was something, but long-term it did more harm than good... Still, at least WWE had the balls to do stuff like that back then.

Face turns... Pretty much any face turn in the last five years with the exception of The Shield.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:39 AM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Alberto Del Rio's face turn. He was heel and then he just...wasn't.

Miz's face turn is a close second.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:09 AM
Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie
WWE Women's Champion

stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Rock's heel turn after SummerSlam 2002. It was so forced that even the Rock did not realize that he was now a heel. Rock got practically booed out of Nassau Coliseum. After the cameras cut, he was so tongue tied that he did not know what to say. Needless to say, the heel turn was VERY short lived.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:34 AM

WWEWrestleFest is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade_mario View Post
]The match itself was good but was mostly memorable for being the first WWF title match in history that didn't main event Wrestlemania, Bam Bam vs Lawrence Taylor getting the nod to close the show.
Incorrect. Savage/Flair for the title at WM8 didn't close the show, Hogan's then retirement match against Sid did.

Anyway, I agree. Shawn should not have turned face, he was a natural heel and they should have kept him that way. When he turned face, they basically neutered him.

And for worst heel turn, off the top of my head I have to go with Austin. This was not Hogan turning heel and starting the nWo. It just didn't work.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:45 AM
The current reigning and defending
Undisputed WWE Champion

Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...

Just pick one of The Big Show's 3 million Face/Heel turns...

The big man has switched roles so often that literally no-one cares any more, and it's become a running joke. Not only has his in-ring work got worse and worse as the years have gone on, but the interest from the fans is almost non-existent these days.

Big Show was a phenomenal athlete for his size when he debuted in WWE, but a combination of laziness and awful booking from WWE, constantly switching him from heel to face have completely turned fans off over the years, meaning any turns now are totally boring and inneffective.

IT'S A DILAPIDATED BOAT!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:19 AM
King of Zecropolis
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

DetectiveZelix is looking to come up from OCW...DetectiveZelix is looking to come up from OCW...DetectiveZelix is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via AIM to DetectiveZelix

Daniel Bryan's heel turn was the lamest in my opinion. Only for like a week and no one even bought it. Oh and Del Rio's heel turn after running over Santa Claus
Old 11-24-2015, 09:20 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

I can't say which I felt was the best or worst turn ever but I would agree that Alberto Del Rio's face turn was one of the worst. It was bad because it felt so forced and sudden and his WM angle with Jack Swagger didn't help things either. As I recall Swagger and Zeb were playing the Immigration angle and Del Rio was supposed to be the immigrant that went to America to live the American dream. Except that Del Rio was supposed to be a Mexican Ted Debiase and rich aristocrat that owns acres of land and stuff that doesn't fit a profile of an immigrant. I always wondered what was creative thinking at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray11214 View Post
Rock's heel turn after SummerSlam 2002. It was so forced that even the Rock did not realize that he was now a heel. Rock got practically booed out of Nassau Coliseum. After the cameras cut, he was so tongue tied that he did not know what to say. Needless to say, the heel turn was VERY short lived.
I disagree, The Rock actually didn't officially turn heel at Summer Slam 2002 it was just that the crowd turned on him and The Rock had to play the anti-Rock crowd. I'd say though he did a pretty good job improvising at this event considering the was blindsided by the reaction.

His official heel turn was after Rumble 2003 when he returned and it was only short lived because he took time of after Backlash 2003 for his movie commitments. And had to return to work that angle with Foley.

I thought his heel turn was great and fans actually had no problems booing him. I guess that what makes The Rock so talented that he's so good and charismatic that he can be so entertaining as a heel that fans would go along with it and boo him because it was fun.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:45 AM
#SwerveKing
WWE Diva's Champion

Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...

Stone Cold Steve Austin's heel turn basically tanked the whole company, so I'm gonna go with that.