WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 10-17-2015, 04:04 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...
Default In All Of Wrestling, Who Is The Biggest Mark For Him/Herself?

At one time or another, labeling a wrestler as being a mark for himself or herself is probably something that could be pinned on just about anyone in wrestling. After all, wrestling is an ego driven business and it's damn near impossible to succeed if you don't have one yourself. A wrestler believing in themselves isn't necessarily what I'm talking about, it's a positive trait to have confidence in your abilities and to believe in one's self, but there always seem to be a few individuals that take it to a different level. Those are the wrestlers who seem to view themselves in any and all things wrestling above EVERYONE else and take issue with anyone who doesn't share that particular view. I don't know if I can name just one, but I'd say that my top two are, in no particular order:

Shane Douglas - To hear Shane Douglas, you'd think he invented the concept of professional wrestling in the first place. Whenever Douglas gives a shoot interview, or really any sort of interview, he simply cannot keep from bashing just about every promoter or promotion he's ever wrestled for whether it's WWE, WCW, TNA or even ECW. Now while he's never actually said this, one gets the feeling that Douglas feels as if there's been some industry wide conspiracy to prevent him from being at the top where he believes he belonged. He also has this near obsession with Ric Flair as being especially responsible for why he wasn't a bigger star while constantly declaring himself better in every way than Flair ever was. One thing that Shane Douglas definitely gets credit for in my eyes is that he may very well be the guy to establish the standard formula we see for shoot interviews in the modern age: he's the hero of his story, he never did or said anything wrong, everyone else had a grudge against him or was jealous, everyone who didn't have his perspective on things is the villain.

Jim Cornette - Jim Cornette was one of the most entertaining managers in the history of the business. The passionate, charismatic, somewhat geeky guy in the cheap suit with a tennis racket was among the most memorable characters in all of wrestling from my childhood days. I don't know when or how it happened exactly but, in the last several years, Jim Cornette has become one miserable, bitter bastard. Cornette has long been someone who'll basically come out and say that he and only he really knows what good wrestling is and how a wrestling company should operate. That's all well and good but the only problem is that Cornette has failed whenever he's been in the position to make those decisions due, in large part, to thinking that wrestling has to be run today like it was 30-40 years ago. As with Shane Douglas, Cornette, in recent years, has gone on rants on just about anyone he views as having done him wrong whether it's WCW, WWE, ROH, TNA, Vince Russo, Vince McMahon, Eric Bischoff or whomever. Earlier this week on his podcast, Cornette goes on a huge rant that really sums up just how bitter he's become with topics including Vince's biggest flaw, the biggest bullshitter in wrestling, how fans & talent are getting fucked over every day of their lives, etc. He went on a lengthy rant on former ROH and current TNA talent Kenny King that included calling him any number of derogatory names, calling him a mark for himself and condemning him altogether. While discussing Vince, this is a little bit that's also found on the main page:

ďPeople sue him, people walk out on him, people fuck him, people say horrible things about him, and he brings them back, not because itís best for business, but because itís best for his fucking ego. Vince McMahon has the worst inferiority complex of anybody in history. I say that because he wants to prove that he will do anything with anybody. He will reconcile with anybody, supposedly if itís best for business, but really so he can get them under his thumb again and he can work with them again. He can prove that they needed him.Ē

Now personally, just based on everything we've all heard about Vince over the years, there might genuinely be some truth to this. However, to be fair, remember, this is pretty much standard operating procedure in wrestling to lash out at those you have some sort of grudge against, those who may have made it that you don't think should have, everybody else is the bad guy, he's the good guy, he's the one who gets fucked over, he's the one that tells it like it is, etc. Wrestling is a business full of bullshitters, Cornette knows that as well as anybody and far better than I ever will; I've no doubt whatsoever that he himself has spouted more than his fair share of bullshit here and there over the course of his time in wrestling. Like Shane Douglas, Cornette is someone who most definitely comes off as a mark for himself who blames nearly every promoter he's worked with for the deterioration in their working relationship; it's all their fault while he's just the ultra talented white knight that's always right but nobody listens to.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Behold my diction
WCW TV Champion

enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...

Mil Mascaras anyone?

I follow a lot of people who may be considered the worst offenders when it comes to marking out only on their own behalf, mainly to see if they've ever laid down for a pin on video. It doesn't have to be a clean pin, but I give extra kudos if they've allowed a clean pin. Submissions don't really count for me, that's just me.

Hogan was pinned by Warrior, Warrior was pinned by Andre, Andre was pinned by Hogan. Brody was pinned by Bruno. Hansen was pinned by Hogan, and I believe Martel. Honky Tonk Man was squashed by Warrior. Cena was squashed by Lesnar, who I believe laid down for Angle. Inoki was squashed by Vader, Vader was pinned by Sting.

In all my research over the lengthy career of Mil Mascaras on tv and ppv, he has never once allowed someone to beat him in any capacity. He has recorded losses to Freddy Blassie, but never on TV. The closest I've ever seen Mil come to losing on tv is a no contest result for when he tagged with Canek.

There's also the no-selling, Mil shrugs off every move in the pro-wrestling world as if he's literally unphasable. It makes his matches pretty fucking boring.

I have to say that by looking like a cocky piece of shit with no concern for anything except his own reputation, Mil Mascaras is a bigger mark for himself than anyone else in existence. He's also a piss poor example of a performer.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:21 PM
.you.lose.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Checkmate worked a dark match on ECW recently...Checkmate worked a dark match on ECW recently...Checkmate worked a dark match on ECW recently...Checkmate worked a dark match on ECW recently...Checkmate worked a dark match on ECW recently...Checkmate worked a dark match on ECW recently...Checkmate worked a dark match on ECW recently...Checkmate worked a dark match on ECW recently...Checkmate worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviousdominous View Post
Cena was squashed by Lesnar, who I believe laid down for Angle.
Lesnar lost clean to Angle, tapped to Benoit, and lost to Guerrero.

On topic, when I read the thread title, the first names that popped into my head were Hulk Hogan, Vince Russo, and Jim Cornette. Cornette was covered pretty thoroughly by the OP already.

Hogan is an interesting case. I think he's less full of himself now than he was 10-15 years ago, though I understand anyone who feels the opposite is true. Mainly, he springs to mind because of his ego. Hogan's ego is huge. It's justified a bit due to all his accomplishments, but if you compare the top guys from different generations, Hogan will be first in line to tell you all about Hogan, way before Austin, Cena, and many others.

Russo has a writer's ego. I get that. He takes pride in his work, even if he can't always wrap his head around what is wrong with it. This isn't to say every or anything he's created or put his name on has been bad, but nobody has a real Midas touch; some things you try will turn out to be shit. But, Russo, on more than one occasion, has chosen to pass the buck rather than take responsibility.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:37 AM
Accidental spam artist

Cena Is A Punk Rocker worked a dark match on ECW recently...Cena Is A Punk Rocker worked a dark match on ECW recently...Cena Is A Punk Rocker worked a dark match on ECW recently...Cena Is A Punk Rocker worked a dark match on ECW recently...Cena Is A Punk Rocker worked a dark match on ECW recently...Cena Is A Punk Rocker worked a dark match on ECW recently...Cena Is A Punk Rocker worked a dark match on ECW recently...Cena Is A Punk Rocker worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I am honestly shocked nobody has brought up Bret Hart as one of the biggest self marks in the business. This man rarely has a positive word to say about any other wrestler. In every post retirement interview I have heard he does nothing but praise himself. Scott Hall has said that Bret has a shrine to himself in his bedroom.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Torn between Rooney & Kate Mara
WWE Champion

Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...

I'd have to go with Kurt Angle.

There's a recent-ish interview, where Angle talks about WWE treating him like a "nobody," and how he wouldn't consider leaving TNA unless WWE offered him a fair deal. I honestly wonder what Angle's idea of a "fair" deal was.

Angle also said something along the lines of "WWE is missing out on a lot of money with Kurt Angle." Going by everything I've read from Angle in interviews, you get the feeling he believes he deserves a deal similar to The Rock's deal or Brock Lesnar's. I'm sure Angle would receive a nice pop during his return, but I can't picture the fanfare coming close to or rivaling Rock or Lesnar's. If he was looking for something similar to The Rock or Brock Lesnar's deals, complete with Wrestlemania main events and world title runs, then he's just being delusional.

I know there were reports in the past of WWE offering Angle a full-time deal, knowing he would turn it down (a nice way of saying no), because his body wouldn't hold up. All things considered, if the powers that be in WWE were seriously considering bringing Angle back, I have to believe an RVD-esque deal is as far as they'd be willing to go, with Angle coming in every now and then for sporadic appearances to put over younger talent. And I remember Angle going on a "that company has no respect for me" tirade, when Orton used the Angle Slam years ago.

Another name that pops into my mind is Goldberg. Goldberg was smart to get out when he did, and not stick around too long to the point, where his body was too banged up, and you get the feeling he's not someone, who blows through his money.

Still, Goldberg believes WWE dropped the ball with him, and WWE didn't use him right. Goldberg defeated The Rock in the main event on a pay per view in his debut match, he had a world title run, and a featured match with Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania XX. To add to that, Goldberg is another one of those retired/semi-retired wrestlers, who tries to spark some " one more match" buzz for himself. He'll go on about how he's training, staying in shape, and waiting for the right opportunity, but after a while you realize it's just hot air, and I'm past the point of caring or wondering if it'll ever happen.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:46 AM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Henessey View Post
I'd have to go with Kurt Angle.

There's a recent-ish interview, where Angle talks about WWE treating him like a "nobody," and how he wouldn't consider leaving TNA unless WWE offered him a fair deal. I honestly wonder what Angle's idea of a "fair" deal was.

Angle also said something along the lines of "WWE is missing out on a lot of money with Kurt Angle." Going by everything I've read from Angle in interviews, you get the feeling he believes he deserves a deal similar to The Rock's deal or Brock Lesnar's. I'm sure Angle would receive a nice pop during his return, but I can't picture the fanfare coming close to or rivaling Rock or Lesnar's. If he was looking for something similar to The Rock or Brock Lesnar's deals, complete with Wrestlemania main events and world title runs, then he's just being delusional.

I know there were reports in the past of WWE offering Angle a full-time deal, knowing he would turn it down (a nice way of saying no), because his body wouldn't hold up. All things considered, if the powers that be in WWE were seriously considering bringing Angle back, I have to believe an RVD-esque deal is as far as they'd be willing to go, with Angle coming in every now and then for sporadic appearances to put over younger talent. And I remember Angle going on a "that company has no respect for me" tirade, when Orton used the Angle Slam years ago.
Considering that Brock Lesnar gets to beat everyone in the company and gets paid millions for it, and WWE offered Kurt Angle a fraction of the money and wanted him primarily to put over younger talent, Kurt Angle is 100% in the right. Angle is a million times the star Brock Lesnar is. Angle should make double the money Lesnar gets and be able to pick and choose when he loses. Angle is a star who EARNED that type of special attraction deal, which Lesnar did not.

As for the original topic, Mil Mascaras is definitely up there, as is Shane Douglas. I'd say Douglas has the most undeserved ego in wrestling history. He's barely a somebody, borderline on being a nobody, who inexplicably thinks he's a huge legend. Brock Lesnar is also one of my top choices, since he walked out of the company in 2004 rather than put Undertaker over, and to this day refuses to put Undertaker over clean.

Last edited by Aquaman6686 : 10-21-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:16 AM
#SwerveKing
WWE Diva's Champion

Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...Sexcellence of Sexecution scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew N' Brew View Post
I am honestly shocked nobody has brought up Bret Hart as one of the biggest self marks in the business. This man rarely has a positive word to say about any other wrestler. In every post retirement interview I have heard he does nothing but praise himself. Scott Hall has said that Bret has a shrine to himself in his bedroom.
It's Bret Hart for sure. This guy is the best there is, best there was and best there ever will be at putting himself over. He's so fucking bitter towards basically everyone in the business it's petty and ridiculous. You got screwed, we get it.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Sells seashells by the seashore
Undisputed WWE Champion

Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...

Some excellent choices above, yet I still see no one touching Hulk Hogan as a mark for himself.

In a thread some time ago, I said Hogan never jobbed to anyone. Someone disagreed with me, recalling 6 instances in which Hulk lost in order to benefit someone else. Of course, my statement was technically erroneous in claiming he 'never' jobbed, yet the other forum member didn't realize the irony in his statement: in a 30 year career, he jobbed 6 times.......and we're supposed to think Hogan is generous & willing to push others? Ha!

Still, after years and years reading how Hogan pushed other people to the side in order to advance his own career......in an era in which he needn't have done so because his legacy was as legendary as it could ever get......it's still hard to accept the idea that Hogan was working strictly to the benefit of WWE, WCW, TNA, and pro wrestling in general.

Apparently, too many other people's careers suffered so Hogan could have what he wanted......and after WCW made the mistake of giving the man creative control over his own character, the company wound up........well, you already know.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:12 PM
SHALL WE BEGIN?
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviousdominous View Post
Mil Mascaras anyone?
Uh, yea.

While I wouldn't argue with the above, I too, have to put Bret Hart out there for consideration. Sadly, its simply impossible to put it into perspective for anyone who hasn't read his book. He finds ways to praise himself in the middle of praising other people. Its hilarious.

And, you know....The whole Montreal thing.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:08 PM
ROH Pure Champion

FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally View Post
Some excellent choices above, yet I still see no one touching Hulk Hogan as a mark for himself.

In a thread some time ago, I said Hogan never jobbed to anyone. Someone disagreed with me, recalling 6 instances in which Hulk lost in order to benefit someone else. Of course, my statement was technically erroneous in claiming he 'never' jobbed, yet the other forum member didn't realize the irony in his statement: in a 30 year career, he jobbed 6 times.......and we're supposed to think Hogan is generous & willing to push others? Ha!

Still, after years and years reading how Hogan pushed other people to the side in order to advance his own career......in an era in which he needn't have done so because his legacy was as legendary as it could ever get......it's still hard to accept the idea that Hogan was working strictly to the benefit of WWE, WCW, TNA, and pro wrestling in general.

Apparently, too many other people's careers suffered so Hogan could have what he wanted......and after WCW made the mistake of giving the man creative control over his own character, the company wound up........well, you already know.
Hogan jobbed SIX TIMES to benefit someone else ???? AFTER he was WWE champion, not counting his AWA days ????

I can only count 3.....Ultimate Warrior.....Rock.....Lesnar. In each instance the win was a huge turning point for the winner and put them on path to bigger and better things.

He lost via a ridiculous screw job to The Undertaker in 1991, that did so little for Taker it is completely forgotten now, nothing more than a plot device to set up Ric Flair's title win. Taker was immediately dropped back down to the mid card as Mania season approached with Hogan, Sid, Flair, Savage, Piper, & Hart getting all the primo screen time.

Another ridiculous screw job was the "camera job" to Yokozuna, clearly designed to give Hogan a major excuse for the loss and set him for a return match at a later date (which never materialized because he went to WCW). This didn't do much at all for Yoko except make it clear that despite his massive size and unusual mobility he couldn't stand tall against quality opposition. He was a heel though so this didn't HURT him, but it didn't really help him much.

The Starrcade 97 loss was a farce and actually made Sting look weak it was carried off so bad, not too mention Sting only had the belt three months, doing little with it, his Super Brawl re match with Hogan AGAIN affirming that despite a massive fan fave who every heel was supposed to fear he couldn't beat Hogan clean with massive help. Then he dropped the belt about a month later, squashing his heat and ruining the climax to a year long build to their feud and his return. Hogan meanwhile immediately got the belt back and was front & center again while Sting languished outside the title picture.

Goldberg was maybe the best example of how you kill momentum. Goldberg's win was clean and dramatic, but so what....on the next PPV Hogan had the main event and best storyline, Goldberg had a throwaway match on the midcard. Next PPV after that, same thing, Sept PPV for Wargames, once again Hogan was front and center in the biggest match and best storyline, Goldberg in the midcard with a little promoted match with very little storyline backdrop to it. Oct Halloween Havoc, Goldberg did a get a prime storyline and match slot with DDP and a significant win, but he had to share Main Event status with Hogan-Ultimate Warrior. Really the only time that Golodberg had the biggest match and best storyline was at Starracde 98 against Kevin Nash, an event basically built square around their title match, with some excellent pre match build, and Ric Flair's return. And Goldberg lost in his shining moment, Flair's takeover of WCW and Hogan reformation of the core NWO became the front burner storyline, and soon Goldberg was out of the title picture summarily replaced by Flair, DDP, and a returning Sting wrestling Scott Hall in squash matches with little build on the undercard. Oh yeah and Hogan was champ during almost all of this.

He did put over Ric Flair four times (once on a DQ, once on a count out when injured) in televised matches one on one (and once more in a tag match), but beat him several more times. None of the losses were clean per se but Flair's title win on PPV in 1999 while not a clear cut clean win was in a Cage Match with No DQ and basically no rules (the match could be stopped for blood but it was decided before the start the blood had to be excessive, basically taking that caveat off the table). Flair pinned him after crunching him with a tire iron in a match Hogan clearly dominated.

While those wins may have helped Flair maintain an element of danger as the main heel who could take down Hogan (one of them was actually when Flair was a face and Hogan needed saved by the NWO to avoid tapping to the figure four, maybe the lone win that made Flair look strong) Hulk was always protected enough by the extreme measure and circumstances needed to gain wins (none of them clean). And Hogan got a lot of wins here too.

Hogan did I believe put over Big Show clean on Nitro in early 98 I think. Nice win for him with no titles, etc on the line.

Certainly what he did for Rock & Lesnar was impressive. And very rare.

SIX times ?!?!??!!? I don't think so.

Granted, Hogan was a huge star and you shouldn't damage that star by having him get beat all the time, especially when he is billed as your top hero and strongest good guy (which Hogan mostly was). Still nobody ever protected their character and televised portrayal better than Hogan, a mark for himself if ever there was one.

That said, wrestling is a tough business physically and emotionally with lots of travel, the matches can be extremely hard on you, wrestlers have no union to protect their rights and in fact are treated legally as Independent Contractors stripping away some of their rights. They are dependent on writers and fellow wrestlers to make them & their characters look good even when many of these people may not like them which can be a tricky situation. Once Hogan became that big I don't blame him for much of what he did to protect himself, even if it appears selfish and not always in the best interest of the company as a whole.