WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Who's the greatest Canadian Wrestler in WWE history?
Bret Hart 27 67.50%
Edge 1 2.50%
Chris Jericho 6 15.00%
Christian 0 0%
Owen Hart 2 5.00%
Chris Benoit 1 2.50%
Lance Storm 0 0%
other 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Knockout Champion

S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Send a message via AIM to S.J. Maximus
Default The Greatest Canadian-Born Wrestler Of All-Time

I just finished watching Austin's Podcast with Edge & Christian on the WWE Network and the last 15 minutes had me thinking about each man's individual legacies. I have never really jumped fully onboard with the idea that Edge is an all-time great. As a matter of fact, even as early as the Brood days I've liked Christian more. I always understood that Edge had the better career on paper but I've always felt that Christian was the better entertainer and appreciated his move set more.

Then Christian made a joke about Chris Jericho, which had me comparing his legacy with E&C, which at that point I decided to make this thread. When people talk about the greatest Canadian born wrestlers in WWE history, who comes to mind?

I know the poll is structured for top choices only but ideally I'm looking for a list of 3 people in order. I automatically assume everyone's top 3 will be Edge, Jericho, and Bret Hart but I want to know how people rank them and most importantly why they're ranking them that way.

As for me, my list is as follows:

5. Christian - An all-time great tag team competitor who won with other guys not just edge, and a champion of the midcard who finally reached World Title Status (albeit later than he should have). Arguably the funniest person on this list, he has excellent comedic timing and a gifted high flyer in the ring. Had he not left for TNA, and was a little bigger, Vince probably would've treated him the way he treated Edge; which probably would've given him more stats and bumped him up on this list.

4. Owen Hart - The most elite high flyer on this list. Arguably the greatest pure athletic as well, Owen was no stranger to gold but unfortunately due to the structure of the company of the time he was never crowned WWE champion. It would be hard to argue he wouldn't be champ the way that every heel was hot-shotted to the WWE/WHC during the Brand Expansion Era but even without top billing he made a lasting impression in the business as of the most gifted heels of the 90's.

3. Edge - On paper, he probably has had the best career in the history of the company. Has won every title there was during his career, several times each, and was a key member of some of the most memorable storylines and matches of all time. From TLC, to stealing Lita from Matt, to marrying Vickie Edge has consistently found a way to be relevant and extremely over. As arguably the greatest heel of the 21st century, he was given opportunity after opportunity and he knocked every one out of the park until his sudden retirement.

2. Chris Jericho - In my opinion (which many people disagree with) he is the single most versatile man in the history of professional wrestling. Few people have mastered the mic and the ring as efficiently as he did, with one area usually more dominant than the other. Jericho has shown elite ability to perform as a heel, a face, mid-card, main event, singles, tag team, on the mic, in the ring in way that makes me wonder how he's not in the hall of fame already. His accolades aren't as pretty as Edge and he hasn't put in as many years either (several hiatuses and part-time contracts over the years) but he is a true Attitude Era legend who has continued to be relevant, over, and draw money for years to come (and counting).

1. Bret "The Hitman" Hart - In a lot of ways he's underrated. They say he's a mark for himself, they say he can't talk, they say he was "in the right place at the right time" but when it boils down to it, this was THE GUY of the 90's. Arguably the greatest in ring performer of all time, he was truly the Excellence of Execution and dominated the WWE from 92-97, eventually showing tremendous range in 1997 with his heel turn. Both outings at WM 12 & 13 are serious contenders for best match in the history of the show and he has plenty of other outings on other ppvs (Ahem, Summerslam) that are held in a similar esteem. Despite what happened in Montreal and how he handled them, I think he will always be the Best There Is, the Best There Was, and the Best There Will Ever Be.

"It's not arrogance; It's destiny."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:23 PM
WCW TV Champion

Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Aquaman6686 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Just FYI, Chris Jericho is American-born. He was born in New York but raised in Canada.

As far as overall wrestling ability goes, you can't go wrong with either of the WWE-famous Hart brothers. Bret was better in the ring, Owen was more charismatic.

My personal pick is Edge. One of my all-time favorites, and one of the greatest of all time. It's a shame that he never got to be as big as he should have been, because he was used as a transitional champion so many times. 11-Time World Champion and his longest reign was barely three months? Terrible. He should have at least an 8-month reign once or twice.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Reaper of Miracles
World Heavyweight Champion

Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Bernkastel

I picked other, because if this is an all time list then you missed quite a few names. Starting with the heavy hitters we have...

Gene Kiniski
Whipper Billy Watson
Bronko Nagurski
Edouard Carpentier
Yvon Robert
Mad Dog Vachon
Killer Kowalski
Roddy Piper [billed from Scotland but born in Canada]

Lesser known but still notable stars include...

Stu Hart
The Mountie
Abdullah the Butcher
Chris Benoit [judging the wrestler and not the man]
Bobby Roode
Rocky Johnson
Steve Corino
Chief Don Eagle
Rick Martel
Dino Bravo
Ivan Koloff [Billed from Soviet Union born in Canada]

I'd say might list would be...

1.) Gene Kiniski - A staple of the NWA for years. One of their greatest and most reliable champions. One of the best in ring workers of the time period. A great talker, extremely charismatic, and one of the all time greatest heels.

2.) Whipper Billy Watson - Very arguably the biggest draw to ever come out of Canada. Massively popular in Toronto. He oozed charisma and was a fantastic worker. He was a good draw as champion, having held the National Wrestling Association's world title and the NWA's world title. Beating Longson and Thesz respectively.

3.) Bret Hart - Even though Bret gets a bad rep as being a low drawing champion, he had allot on his shoulders. He was the WWE's flagship star after the steroid scandal. Contrary to what I've heard from numerous others, Bret did have allot of charisma. He may not have been the smoothest talker, but he had great presence and carried himself well. And his execution as a worker was probably second to none in the modern era.

4.) Yvon Robert - Another very popular Canadian born wrestler who worked during the end of the outlaw era before the creation of the NWA. He held multiple world titles including the Boston version of the AWA world title [more commonly known as the Strangler Lewis belt] and the National Wrestling Association world title, where he dethroned Bill Longson.

5.) Mad Dog Vachon - He was a staple of Gagne's AWA for nearly a decade during the 60's and 70's. Holding the AWA title numerous times. A notorious heel most remembered for his wild mannerisms.

My runners up would probably be Killer Kowalski - a very popular wrestling attraction in line with Andre and Haystacks and Bronko Nagurski - played pro football while simultaneously being one of the most popular wrestling champions in the late 1930's.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Heartbreak_Kid_707 is looking to come up from OCW...Heartbreak_Kid_707 is looking to come up from OCW...Heartbreak_Kid_707 is looking to come up from OCW...Heartbreak_Kid_707 is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via Yahoo to Heartbreak_Kid_707

Even though he wasn't Canadian born I'm still voting for Jericho...he's my favorite all time world wide, and much better than listed above in the poll or posts. I'd say Bret 2nd and Lance 3rd.

I wouldn't even put the others on the same list.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:45 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Bret Hart - simply put, in my opinion the greatest technical wrestler of all time.

Yes his promos weren't that great during his Babyface run, but then his hands were somewhat tied; when the leash was relaxed in the early days of Attitude, his heel turn was memorable for all the right reasons (and the semi-heel routine was one if the more memorable turns, where the Hart Foundation would heel it up to the max in the United States but remain massive babyfaces in Canada and England, a fantastic dynamic that WWE don't use often enough)

His matches rank highly when discussing the top matches; he had that rare ability, which only a handful have shown, of being able to have a watchable match with almost anyone. Off the top of my head, I can think of one bad Bret Hart singles match, an awful match against an ages Roddy Piper on WCW Nitro; (I discount the Wrestlemania 'match' against Vince McMahon as that wasn't a proper match, that was Vince allowing Bret redemption after Montreal); on the other hand, there were plenty of matches Bret had which surprised people, giving Skinner and Berserker their best WWE matches when their character portrayal was basically a joke; having a very good match with Headshrinker Fatu on an early episode of Raw when Fatu had hitherto only been known as a tag wrestler; bringing a decent long match out of Yokozuna at Wrestlemania IX when Yoko had predominantly won quick squash matches; giving Roddy Piper arguably his best ever WWE match at Wrestlemania VIII and Mr Perfect his at Summerslam 1991, no mean feat considering the standards of their matches (especially Perfect's) over the course of their WWE careers.

Also part of my favourite tag team match of all time, with Jim Neidhart against Demolition at Summerslam 1990, and had many memorable tag team feuds alongside the Anvil.

The only blots on his copybook are obviously the Montreal Screwjob (not his fault) - though this directly led to the biggest boom period in wrestling history; the failure of a proper culmination of his Shawn Michaels feud; and his extraordinarily bad booking in WCW - I firmly believe that, had Bret been booked as a sympathetic super Babyface, playing on the Montreal fallout, and gone to war with the nWo, TimeWarner would have not pulled the plug on wrestling as WCW's ratings would have skyrocketed.

Need any more proof? Just listen to the crowd reaction to Bret Hart between 1993 and 1996 - especially when pitted against fellow faces like Diesel or Lex Luger (at the finish of Royal Rumble 1994) - this guy was miles ahead of any other in terms of crowd reaction during the New Generation era.

And of course, there was that little match at Wembley Stadium...
Old 09-19-2015, 04:12 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

I think sometimes people do not recall WWF history in the 1990's accurately.
Bret Hart had slowly started his rise to the top of WWF in 1991 when he beat Mr. Perfect.
Bret was already very well over with the fans. The major problem was the WWF was at its peak during the "Golden" era - and then Hulk Hogan went on TV and did The Arsenio Hall Show. This led to WWF going in to decline, because parents stopped letting their children watch (particularly in the USA). At the time Warrior then got suspended and fired, and left the WWF after Summerslam 1991 and when he returned he had lost a lot of weight. He no longer had the same aura about him and it made fans think he was in impostor. This, along with the disastrous Iraq sympathiser storyline, had WWF ratings, PPV figures and attendance way down.

At SummerSlam 1992, in the USA, the main event was promoted as Warrior vs Savage for the WWF title. In the UK - the main event was promoted as Bret Hart Vs Bulldog. Given the absolute masterpiece that match as it got Bret Hart sufficiently over enough to be considered to be the WWF company face. He was massive in Europe at the time (and still is to those who were WWF fans in the 1990s).

By the end of 1992, Bret was WWF champion and whilst things didnt improve in the USA, it did in Europe and some observers believe the WWF would have gone bankrupt if it wasn't for that market in Europe. The fact Bret was at or near the top for the next 5 years shows how big his appeal is to fans. Lets not forget too - that Bret rarely had a bad match during that time (and if he ever did it was down to his opponent either not being good at wrestling or not being over enough for the crowd to care).

Bret Hart is the greatest Canadian born wrestler because if it was not for Bret Hart, I doubt WWE would exist today.

End of.

Roddy Piper, Kevin Steen, Rick Martell, Owen Hart, Trish Stratus and the legends Edge and Christian are all excellent wrestlers too - and each contributed so much to the business. Kevin Steen has an exciting WWE career ahead too. Of course, if Chris Jericho was Canadian born he is up there just behind Bret Hart but he is not Canadian born... as this article requests.

On an aside issue - which Canadian has done the most for WWF/WWE behind the scenes over the years? Pat Patterson. Legend!!
Old 09-19-2015, 04:45 AM
heROCKules

the_peoples_adam is a member of the JOB SQUAD

BRET HART has to be the greatest canadian born Wrestler of all time..

I would also go with OWEN HART coz if OWEN didn't pass away at that time he would have still been around here and may have become greater than BRET..

Next will be Y2J coz he can be up there equal to BRET for everything he has done..

Then EDGE of course he is the best during the PG Era..

Then Cristian..
Old 09-19-2015, 06:54 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

Top 5 would have to be:
5) Owen
4) Benoit
3) Edge
2) Jericho

And the best ever being Bret. Jericho and Edge had great careers but I think Bret is the runaway winner here. I got into wrestling in mid-late 91 to watch Hogan. Early in 92 Bret became my favorite. The match with Roddy at mania pretty much sold me on Bret. Then came summerslam 92. I will argue to rhe end that Bret/Davey was the greatest match of all time. Bret came to play that night and the atmosphere was electric in Wembley. Brets world title run in 92 gets critized for not drawing but I think that's due to the change WWF was going through. I think it was an awesome run and it was nice seeing the champion wrestle on TV so often. King of the ring 93 saw 3 very different very good Matches, I prefer the match with Bam Bam, I think they really tore the house down. Bret in late 91-93 was one of the best runs ever.

In 97, Bret is insanely over in Can/Europe and over as a heel in the US. I immediately turned on Bret and hated him here. He played the role so well. To me this is where the attitude era started (early 97) and Bret played a huge role in it. I will even argue the U.S. vs Can feud was the best ever.

I know Bret didn't do well in WCW but I pretty much stopped watching before he got there and didn't get to see this. It's a shame how his career ended but it can't take away from how his run in WWF. I think Bret is the clear winner for Canadas best.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:06 AM

xTheStraightEdgeAtheistx is looking to come up from OCW...

Hate to split hairs, but if I'm not mistaken, Jericho is actually American born so should he be on the poll?
I answered Bret. While I never found him "exciting" Bret was truly in a league of his own in regards to in ring ability. Everything he did was perfect, even how he threw a punch was excellent. Add the fact that he's almost royalty in Canada and he was a clear choice, at least in my books
Old 09-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Knockout Champion

TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...TDFG is looking to come up from OCW...

5. Edge
4. Owen Hart
3. Y2J (I don't care if he was born in USA).
2. Chris Benoit

1. Bret Hart. Other than his career ending in bad circumstances and his bitter feelings towards WWE from the screwjob, Bret Hart was the greatest technical wrestler to every step foot in the ring, it didn't matter if he was up against Nash, Sid, Benoit, Austin or Yokozuna, Bret Hart made me watch that match, it didn't matter whether he was a heel or a face either.