WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion

SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom
Default Was Bret Hart Selfish?

I'd like to share a video with you guys:

After watching this video on YouTube, I wrote in the comments that this wasn't the first time I've heard stories from past wrestlers talk about how selfish Bret was and about how he only thought of his own character. I had forgotten that I was talking negatively about Bret Hart on the internet. After I posted that comment, you'd have thought that I killed someone. Some people responded to me and said that the real reason Bret was like that was because he took the business very seriously. Others said that the WWF was building up for their WrestleMania 12 main event and needed Bret to look like a huge babyface for the Iron Man Match vs HBK. I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't have hurt Bret's character at all to just have taken the powerbomb and still walk out as champion. Like Nash said, it would've added to his match with 'Taker and would've made it mean more. One guy even told me that Nash was a nobody then and didn't deserve to perceive to have beaten Bret because he was nothing. To which I responded with how could Nash have been a nobody then when he had just come off of the longest Title run of the 90s? I said at that point in time he was just as over as Bret and HBK. So I thought I would share the video here and get the forum's opinion on the subject.

What do you guys think? Was Bret Hart selfish for not taking Nash's finish before 'Taker pulled Nash under the ring in that cage match or am I completely off base? Was Bret right in what he did? Was it actions like these that led to his problems with guys like HBK and others? Was it actions like these that led to the Montreal Screwjob? Let me know your opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.

Last edited by SSJPhenom : 08-31-2015 at 12:14 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:31 PM

ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...ComeOnVince is looking to come up from OCW...

It probably was selfish for Hart not to take the power bomb.

However, it was Bret's responsibility to look out for Bret's character. Wrestling is a very political business. It think if knew everything about every wrestler we ever loved, we'd be disgusted with the whole lot.

Would it have hurt him? No. What reasons did he have? We don't know.

What we do know is that Nash is seen as one of the most self-centered jackasses in the history of the business, and I have a hard time taking his word on this.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:34 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...

People are successful due to their egos and Bret is no different. Wrestling is a sport where you always have to do whatever you have to to keep your character strong. Shawn and Nash were asses and would have been if Bret was there or not. Bret was old school and believed things we're done a certain way but if Vince was going to allow Shawn and others to follow their own rules he could play that game too.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Bald Billy was Better
WWE Diva's Champion

Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...

Bret was looking out for the main event of the biggest show of the year. Was it a little selfish? SURE, but at the same time I wouldn't have had a problem if anyone else was in his position. Bret had to look strong going into the Iron Man match, because it makes Shawn winning that much more important.

Also, Nash can fucking BLOW ME about saying his match was the "Co-Main". That was a one match show, and that one match sure as shit wasn't Diesel vs Taker in a "This means absolutely nothing" match.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Rhodes2TheFuture3313 is looking to come up from OCW...Rhodes2TheFuture3313 is looking to come up from OCW...Rhodes2TheFuture3313 is looking to come up from OCW...

I think Bret was selfish in 1994 when he didn't job to Owen at SummerSlam. It would have solidified Owen as a top-player and it could have set-up Bret vs. HBK vs. Diesel in the main event of WM 11.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Bret was and to an extent still is a master of hiding his political abilities. He was the middle son who never wanted to be a wrestler, yet ends up the most successful over the "better workers" like Bruce and Owen... yet he was always the "reasonable one" on the surface, where Bruce was "outspoken" and Owen "the joker".

I can well believe Nash pushing for his finish, but by then it was also known Nash was leaving... Why should Bret then help make him look any stronger for the competition?

When it came to Montreal, Bret was selfish - he was selfish to an extent not dropping the title to Davey at IYH 5 in their rematch he had to get "his win" back, a criticism levelled at Hogan in the past.

But Bret was in many ways a good kind of selfish, he looked at it from a fans perspective more than Shawn, Nash or Hogan did... or rather HIS fans perspective, so he was if anything a little short-sighted rather than out and out selfish. The only time he balked was to Shawn on his way out... how many times did Nash, Hogan or Shawn use the "that doesn't work for me brother" or a variation of it?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Knockout Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

I don't even know if it was Bret Hart's decision at the Royal Rumble against Kevin Nash

Nash wasn't political during his career? I don't think Bret Hart was anymore political than any others at his level, In your theory I guess the only ones who can't be accused of being seflish would be the jobbers.
I believe it was a different era back then where wrestlers had to protect their reputation and character.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 PM
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion

SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGlasgow View Post
I don't even know if it was Bret Hart's decision at the Royal Rumble against Kevin Nash

Nash wasn't political during his career? I don't think Bret Hart was anymore political than any others at his level, In your theory I guess the only ones who can't be accused of being seflish would be the jobbers.
I believe it was a different era back then where wrestlers had to protect their reputation and character.
I can understand looking out for one's character. That makes sense. On the other hand, though, there's the whole what's good for business and what's bad for business argument. In this particular case, I believe it would have been best for business for Bret to take the powerbomb. Let's use Michaels as an example. When he feuded with 'Taker in the late 90s, in every single one of those matches, 'Taker beat the living hell out of Shawn. Having said that, though, 'Taker also lost every single one of those matches. What gets to me in this situation is that Bret had the opportunity to do something to help out two other guys with their angle. Nash may have been a huge dick head, but was 'Taker? This would've helped 'Taker just as much as Nash. Also, at the end of the day, Bret should've done what he was told to do. They say HBK and them were hard to deal with back in the day but if Vince put his foot down and demanded they do something, they always did it. Bret, not so much.

I'm just saying Bret had the chance to help others and he didn't do it. He was worried about perceiving to have been beat when he knew that by the time of WM, fans wouldn't have been thinking about that.

Quote:
Old 09-02-2015, 04:55 AM
Bald Billy was Better
WWE Diva's Champion

Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Phenom View Post
I can understand looking out for one's character. That makes sense. On the other hand, though, there's the whole what's good for business and what's bad for business argument. In this particular case, I believe it would have been best for business for Bret to take the powerbomb. Let's use Michaels as an example. When he feuded with 'Taker in the late 90s, in every single one of those matches, 'Taker beat the living hell out of Shawn. Having said that, though, 'Taker also lost every single one of those matches. What gets to me in this situation is that Bret had the opportunity to do something to help out two other guys with their angle. Nash may have been a huge dick head, but was 'Taker? This would've helped 'Taker just as much as Nash. Also, at the end of the day, Bret should've done what he was told to do. They say HBK and them were hard to deal with back in the day but if Vince put his foot down and demanded they do something, they always did it. Bret, not so much.

I'm just saying Bret had the chance to help others and he didn't do it. He was worried about perceiving to have been beat when he knew that by the time of WM, fans wouldn't have been thinking about that.
It would have mattered a fair bit, actually. Bret WAS doing what was best for business. You should want that main event match that is going to be an hour long to have as much heat on it as humanly possible, not the hoss fest that is a significantly lesser match. No one was buying that show for Taker v Diesel. No one. Not even Nash's family.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:34 AM
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmbfantomas View Post
It would have mattered a fair bit, actually. Bret WAS doing what was best for business. You should want that main event match that is going to be an hour long to have as much heat on it as humanly possible, not the hoss fest that is a significantly lesser match. No one was buying that show for Taker v Diesel. No one. Not even Nash's family.
Exactly! See, they could have generated so much more heat for Nash/'Taker if Nash had have been seconds away from pinning Bret when 'Taker interfered.

Quote: