WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-02-2015, 12:38 PM

OldSchoolWrestlingFan is looking to come up from OCW...OldSchoolWrestlingFan is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Dana White vs Pro Wrestling

The wrestling world is giving Dana White (president of UFC) hell for his recent comments where he called wrestling fake - he has stated several times (including during this recent tirade) he respects wrestlers, their athleticism/ability but calls it fake because matches/outcomes are predetermined and have very little to do with actual athletic ability & fighting prowess.

So my question is: Is he wrong?! Does he deserve this backlash?!

He never said that wrestlers weren't athletic, he never said that they didn't give their all or even get actual injuries - he is simply stating the truth that it is a choreographed performance with a predetermined outcome - so in all actually it is fake or make believe aka pretend.

Fake - : not true or real : meant to look real or genuine but not real or genuine, to pretend; simulate: anything made to appear otherwise than it actually is; counterfeit: (definition taken from several online dictionaries)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Reaper of Miracles
World Heavyweight Champion

Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Bernkastel

I wouldn't say so. I mean wrestling promotions, not just the WWE, constantly go out of their way to remind fans and non fans how fake the product is by continuously revealing trade and insider secrets to the general public. Dana White is just echoing what the majority of people already know about the industry. If the WWE in particular should get offended, then they should have done a better job at protecting kayfabe. Now if he had said that pro wrestlers aren't athletes and the ring may as well be a giant Serta mattress that these guys are landing on, then that's cause for backlash. Of course White didn't say this, and of course has never said this.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:58 PM
My fave wrestler is Dirk Diggler.
WCW TV Champion

Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Spidey #2

Just waiting for the day that pro wrestling is accepted as a live action theatrical production that it really is instead of "fake". Dana is right of course, and there's really no need to get upset about his words. But he is being Captain Obvious.

We watch people come back from the dead, a corporate dictatorship where no one quits to work someplace else, and destruction of property where no one gets sued. Kayfabe isn't exactly alive and well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kerouac - On The Road
Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?
Old 08-02-2015, 01:17 PM
WZCW Grand Slam &
ECW Champion

El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...

A fight promoter with heavy pro wrestling influences said stuff to rile up a fanbase. It seriously blows my mind how fans of pro wrestling and pro wrestlers themselves are failing to notice that ITS A WORK!

White said some shit to get some buzz and say why he's better than the competition. It's almost like he's...... A promoter or something. Fucking DUH.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:10 PM
The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
WWE Champion

It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...It's Damn Real! is getting phone calls from TNA...

The term "fake" has a negative connotation to it. It implies "not genuine" or "imitation", the way you'd label a watch you were lead to believe was a genuine Rolex that turned out not to be. When "fake" is applied to wrestling, it's being done so as a means to attack the legitimacy of the product. What Dana White is saying is "this is my product's logo on cheaper threads that I didn't sanction", to a degree.

The right term to be using here is scripted.

At the end of the day, or the end of the show, pro wrestling is simply adult-oriented story-telling that rides on a wave of visual athleticism. At it's core it's simply a visual depiction of "good guys" versus "bad guys" where eventually, the good guys usually prevail and justice is served. Much in the same way you would watch a Western movie knowing that by the end of it the cowboy is almost assuredly going to win, kiss the girl and ride off into the sunset after gunning down the bad guy. You certainly don't leave the theatre saying "You know, I respect Christian Bale for being able to act like a real cowboy, but 3:10 to Yuma was fake." This is why I detest the patronizing "you know it's fake, right?" question.

News flash, Dana — every form of entertainment is fake. The X-Men movies... you know Wolverine is fake, right? The Expendables... no one actually died. You know it's fake, right?

Odd, I'd imagine you never think twice about that sort of thing watching your favorite films, but hey, when you don't like something, why bite your tongue when you can use your bully pulpit to tell others why they shouldn't like it too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne
The IWC aren't a real group, just an internal conglomoration of the people who say things you don't like.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
ECW TV Champion

Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Rainbow Yaz

Eh, Dana has a history of putting his foot in his mouth and saying stupid things. Its plays to both his popularity and his detractors..

Wrestling being fake didn't stop him from sky rocketing Lesnar to being one of the biggest stars ever though.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:06 PM
My fave wrestler is Dirk Diggler.
WCW TV Champion

Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...Spidey #2 is a Television Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Spidey #2

Now that I think about it, didn't that particular PPV have a Main Event that lasted a grand total of about 30 seconds- a big reason why wrestling became scripted in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kerouac - On The Road
Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?

Last edited by Spidey #2 : 08-02-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:20 PM
A Vince Russo Guy

DualShock is looking to come up from OCW...

It's pathetic because he used it as an argument as a response why his PPVs are expensive. His response to the price of his PPVs is a response of a 14y old UFC mark, not of an adult, a promoter, a businessman
"Why are your PPVs more expensive than the PPVs of the other company?"
"Because the other company is fake shit TROLOLOL that's why".
Pathetic.

Thank you for all the shows you wrote and all the characters you've created
Old 08-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Rigistered Post Offender
WWF Hardcore Champion

Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...

I think too much got made of it.

Someone complained about the price of the pay per view. $39.99 I believe it was, saying the WWE pay per views are $9.99 because of the Network. Which is true, but aren't they still $49.99 without the Network? The person ignored that part but that's not the point of this topic.

Dana said something like "Because it's fake. Fake shit should be 9.99." The fan in question could have left it at that but responded with whatever response. Dana as a business man should have left it alone, but as a human who argues often didn't.

As IDR said, had Dana used the word "scripted" this would be a non-story.

And who cares how long the main event lasted? When you're paying to watch a Ronda Rousey fight you know there's a very high chance the fight is going to end in the first round.

Not like being scripted ever guarantees you a good main event, a good finish or even a long main event. A promoter could script a 3 minute main event if they wanted. It's bad business but you're still not guaranteed anything in scripted wrestling.

Plus the knockout was awesome. I'd rather take a quick knockout or submission over a three or five round fight that goes to the judges. Especially a one sided fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualShock View Post
It's pathetic because he used it as an argument as a response why his PPVs are expensive. His response to the price of his PPVs is a response of a 14y old UFC mark, not of an adult, a promoter, a businessman
"Why are your PPVs more expensive than the PPVs of the other company?"
"Because the other company is fake shit TROLOLOL that's why".
Pathetic.
I agree somewhat with him though. Somewhat.

If you were to watch an mma contest that was scripted would you pay as much as one that you know isn't scripted?

Especially if you're a nerd that discuses it online and there's story lines that give good indications of who is going to win the bout anyway?

In that case it would make sense to pay 9.99 for that instead of 39.99 too.

Last edited by Slash-LN : 08-02-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:30 PM
A Vince Russo Guy

DualShock is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash-LN View Post
I agree somewhat with him though. Somewhat.

If you were to watch an mma contest that was scripted would you pay as much as one that you know isn't scripted?

Especially if you're a nerd that discuses it online and there's story lines that give good indications of who is going to win the bout anyway?

In that case it would make sense to pay 9.99 for that instead of 39.99 too.
I would pay for a wrestling show with guys like Hogan, Flair, Savage, Sting, Piper, Roberts, The Rock, Austin or Undertaker in their prime always, no matter how much it costs because I know I will be entertained. UFC is just like boxing a double-edged sword because you can have the biggest superstars involved the fight can end in seconds via KO or you can have a boring match that will end with someone winning on points. Unless it's a clusterfuck like Goldberg vs Lesnar, Sting vs Hardy or most of the "Cena wins LOL" moments you can almost always count that the wrestling matches can entertain you in a way no other fight can just because it's scripted.

Dana White is a hypocrite because there is a large amount of people who became fans just because of the entertainment factor of the UFC, the promos,the hype before the match, the presentation. Same goes with pro wrestling, most fans became wrestling fans not because of two half naked men pretending to hit each other in the nose, it's because of the promos,the hype before the match, the presentation.
If Dana White thinks people watch his UFC only because the fights are real then he should stop doing all the entertainment stuff he's doing and we will see how many people will order his PPVs.
He forgets that most people don't care how real or fake fights are, they want to be entertained and it doesn't matter if it's Brock Lesnar, The Rock, Chael Sonnen, Muhammad Ali, Stone Cold, Mike Tyson or even Rocky Balboa, if you are entertained you will watch a fight no matter if it's real, fake or a movie and forget if they fight for real or pretend to hurt each other you want just see the one guy kicking the ass of the other guy

Thank you for all the shows you wrote and all the characters you've created