WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...wrestler36 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Who's Gimmick Did You Completely Buy Into?

They say the best 'characters' are an extension of the guy with the volume turned up. But obviously Steve Austin wasn't doing his BMF walk flicking people off in public hand throwing beers all over his body. Nor is Bray stalking people in his free time.

When I think back to the 90s when I was a teen, I completely bought into Taz when he was in ECW. Mind you, I knew wrestling was 'staged' even as an 8 year old, but for some reason the packaging of Taz, from his angry promos, walking out to the ring with his 'team' and his overall presence made me think the guy in the ring was the exact same backstage. Paul E. made me forget that he was only 5'8". I literally thought that he was in a bad mood 24/7 and that he was a top legit MMA fighter.

Who blurred that line of showmanship/reality for you?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:09 PM

kris8524 is looking to come up from OCW...

The undertaker... even tho i knee it was scripted even at a young age something about undertakers performance made me wanna see him and think he was a real psycho in real life... and then of course biker taker had me thinking he was exactly like that
Old 07-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

wwetnadudez is looking to come up from OCW...wwetnadudez is looking to come up from OCW...wwetnadudez is looking to come up from OCW...wwetnadudez is looking to come up from OCW...

The most obvious one for me has to be the face of the company...John Cena. He's all about Hustle, Loyalty and Respect and I completely buy into it. The reason is simple..he seems to be exactly the guy he plays. The work he does for kids or the dedication he has for the WWE exemplifies his character.

As far as "gimmicky" characters I bought into Kane..I used to believe every little story I was told about Kane when I was little. That he was the Undertakers brother, that he was burnt alive, that he had a fake eye and so on so forth. Amazing difference between todays Kane and the initial Kane, isn't it?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Better than I think I am
WWE Women's Champion

Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...Prince Vee scored a win over Santino Marella...

Obvious choice The Undertaker!!

When I was a kid I totally bought into that Undertaker has 7 lives and He got mysterious powers and he can comeback from death even after he got buried. And everything had happened hadn't it? Even now I'm so much into the gimmick even when I know that its all part of the storyline. I was anticipating for his return at the Wrestlemania 31 and I got goosebumps to see him walking down the ramp.

My second choice would be Dean Ambrose. WWE universe, the commentary team and everyone deem his as one of the most craziest lunatic wrestler in the industry and he had adapted to that gimmick by giving more facial expressions and in-ring psychology and making everyone bought into the fact that he certainly is crazy.

Cheers!!

Credits: Dave
Old 07-02-2015, 02:51 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

Ted Dibiase Snr- The Million Dollar Man.
Teds gimmick was all the more believable, with Vince giving him the 5 star treatment in real life- travel, hotels etc.. just so Ted could live up to the gimmick.

In the storyline- Teds gimmick was believable when monsters like Andre the Giant are giving up world titles for the mighty dollar. It was a huge deal when Hogan lost his first world title to Andre- and Ted tried to buy the title from Andre.

Then there were all the cruel vignettes where Ted would tease members of the audience, particularly kids with cash rewards for completing a trick- only for Ted to purposely screw them out of it. Being just as mean with his money to others as he was lavishing himself with it.

His evil laugh just really added to it. Totally believable as cruel man who looked down on others and flaunted his wealth.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:54 AM

TheLittleOne is a member of the JOB SQUAD

Million Dollar Man & Virgil yes i believed that he was a filthy rich ego maniac who felt he deserved championships & glory which he could BUY- OFF!.. i believed into mankind with what ever he did, especially being a maniac and caring more about entertaining us then his well being ( which may have been true)..
in 1991 especially with me being 7 yrs old and those funeral parlor segments locking warrior in coffin or the attack on hogan, that year & some of 92 i completely believed the UNDERTAKER gimmick..

i was also very scared in 91-93 of VADER, that insane smoking entrance gimmick thing! his brutal offense, scary as hell face & mask, i def believed his gimmick.

stonecold , the whole package, the walk, the talk, the jeans ! beer! i loved it..and the rock was a perfect counterpart with the $500 shirts! i was older, but i bought it mostly cause it was super entertaining & mostly the real life attitude of each guy turned up 100%
Old 07-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Sells seashells by the seashore
Undisputed WWE Champion

Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...Mustang Sally is an ECW Champion...

The Ultimate Warrior......long before we started thinking about steroids and their effects on a performer's personality and body, I thought this guy was completely nuts.

I remember him working for WCCW and doing shows from the Dallas Sportatorium as the Dingo Warrior.....and he was just as crazy, except I swore there were times he deviated from the script because he'd get legitimately over-excited and leave his opponent wondering what the guy was going to do next.

In WWE, weren't there times it seemed he was actually going to snap during a match? I figured Jim Hellwig was either a truly good actor.....or a real maniac.

Fortunately, he seemed to save most of his eccentricities for his rantings outside the ring. Given that, I think attending his contract negotiations would have been as much fun as watching him wrestle.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

Brian Pillman in ECW. Pillman was the lose cannon in and out of the ring.

Ric Flair was also the nature boy 24/7.

Like the OP said, the best characters are extensions of the real life person. I feel like these two are perfect examples of that.

Then there was Hulk Hogan who I believed had 24in pythons because he took his vitamins and believed he got to the top by saying his prayers. That was one I bought into as someone who lived their gimmick but didn't.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Da Best Sports Entertainer Ever
WWF Hardcore Champion

BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...BestSportsEntertainer scored a win over Santino Marella...

No one. At least I don't remember. I started watching around 2005-06, where gimmicks were not a huge part of the show.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:56 PM

Waylon Mercy is looking to come up from OCW...

A few come to mind, but they were less about gimmicks than about personalities:

- The Excellence of Execution", Bret "The Hitman" Hart
- "The Heartbreak Kid" / "The Show Stopper" / "Mr. Wrestlemania" Shawn Michaels
- "The Hot Rod" Rowdy Roddy Piper
- The Nature Boy, Ric Flair
- "The American Dream", Dusty Rhodes